marellan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Martial Arts as Cardio Substitute?

Hi! I'm a frequent reader on here, but rarely post as most of my questions are fulfilled without asking.

Something I haven't seen is changing up cardio for other excersises besides running, swimming, or elliptical. I've been running religiously for about 3 years now and lately, I haven't been getting results from it. I'm also sick of doing it.

I signed up for some Tae Kwon Do classes and after my first class, I was beat! I hadn't had that kind of workout since I first started running. My question is this. Should this replace my running as a suitable substitute for cardio training or should I still run along with it?

My goals as of right now are to lose 5-10 pounds of fat and continue weight training to firm up. I'm at 105 pounds (4'11" tall) and I'm not sure as to what body fat I am at.

Victoria2448 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi,

If your classes are anywhere as grueling as mine......I don't know how you would have the energy to run.

I guess it depends on how many times a week you go to your MA classes,and how many miles you run etc.

You may be able to find a balance,without overtraining.

For me,the classes are pretty substantial.

~For the record,I take Kuk Sool,not Tae Kwon Do.

moody_weasel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Martial Arts as Cardio Substitute?

Originally posted by marellan

I signed up for some Tae Kwon Do classes and after my first class, I was beat! I hadn't had that kind of workout since I first started running. My question is this. Should this replace my running as a suitable substitute for cardio training or should I still run along with it?
    I would cut back on the running. LSD is not really the best way to get fit for MA and that's the reason why you were so beat.
    I still find that adding some long distance training helps me stay in better shape for judo class.
    What does your weekly workout schedule look like?