Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well mine is all bad (hematoma and bad outcome)! The doctor told me 10 days ago

"omg..We can’t leave you like this"

Then he rang the surgeons and a few medicos, when I went back Friday he said it would have to be "cut out piece by piece".

Because the hematoma has a firm grip on my man tubes, the risk is high. Now he wants to leave it and wait for it to reduce naturally, he told me this could take another 12 months and I am incapacitated at the moment, I will be incapacitated for a few months to come. I can walk but that is all atm. no weights, no gym, no swimming/cycling/jogging!!

I don't think outcomes come much worse than mine; it would be hard to conceive. I lost composure over the last 10 days and have not even taken a walk. This is a huge hard lump in my groin which is solid and attached to my man tubes dragging my right testicle up into my groin this creates many comfort problems alone. To walk is irritating to sit on a bike seat is impossible, to do anything is painful and irritating. I am down and out for the foreseeable future.

My life is on hold, my fitness has reduced dramatically, my agenda is on hold (to gain work and be as fit as I can be). My transformation and the reinvention of myself in an industry I worked in when I was younger is over as well. At my age time is critical for employment; I just don’t see that happening with my job seeking.

This is truly how a bad outcome can change your life for the worst possible scenario of what living is all about! I don’t post so much on the forum anymore, I am out of mainstream and on the scrapheap, “I don’t believe in contributing if I can’t do whatever it is under discussion”. I will probably fold my profile (take it down) in a month if I can't get on top of this hematoma and associated pain and suffering, the suffering is "watching life go by and not being able to participate in the foreseeable future".
    "The best way to keep your health is to eat what you dont want- drink what you dont like- and do what you would rather not"

If your still doing this as well as I do, at my age, it is in your DNA !

jepitt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is for Reach Yea, I have just been randomly reading this thread. Reach why did you have surgery on your abs?????

RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RicG777 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

This is my 4th Month after hernia op

I went to the Doctor Mon 24th May.. Still dealing with "head issues" related to consequences of surgery gone wrong… I was happy I could walk again and jog again, even though a bit more retarded because of "pinching" in groin, inner right thigh and centre of lower stomach from hardened hematoma… I was hoping to do more, but he burst my bubble. He reminded me that the clot was now capping the artery, Jujitsu, weights and weights machines could "dislodge" the clot and start bleeding again… "Setting me back to square one with emergency" because the surgery was not complete, the artery was never tied or cauterized and I have to try and normalise my life after that mistake by the surgeon.

I missed a few jogs and my last was the worst time ever. I am still walking every day, which is about all… I posted today on the post transformation thread…

Quote “I had a similar transform to you, and then in March 2010 a simple "day surgery" went wrong, the surgeon did not cap an artery and I had a massive internal bleed, rushed to emergency for 4 days, where they packed me in ice and did nothing to fix the bleed. To cut a long story short I was supposed to be back at the gym after 3 weeks, I am now in my 4th month of being out to pasture (out of gym) so now I have to start again and have some fat pics to post again, I deliberately kept eating to keep my strength up while in recovery (still in recovery).. I have lost my way… so I am back here to motivate myself back into my former pre operation gone wrong life… I also had your sense of humour when I was at my weight (172lbs) now I am back up to 190lbs… And I hate it!! I chucked out my fat clothes pre operation, and did buy a new wardrobe of clothes, now they are too small and I have nothing to wear out, so I stay home as I did pre transformation…

So I know what it feels like to "morph" and am having to revisit that horrible place "pre transformation", I hope I can muster up the strength to morph once more… back to a life, not a sad state of mind..

End quote…

I had another job opportunity this week, just another I had to pass on, it was in a warehouse and required some lifting, I feared breaking the clot off the artery and did not attend interview. I had this operation and paid from my own meagre savings to have it NOW so I could get fit and back to work straight away. I was told 3 weeks total down and fast recovery after that, this is month four of totally down and it has done my head in, there is still pain and discomfort as the ever hardening clot (now reducing in size thanks to my hard work walking 100+kilometres a week) now smaller but harder and feels more uncomfortable tugging on my tendons and man tubes..

I have had plenty of lip service from Doctors trying to make light of their friend and colleagues "mistake" but "time shows their lies" here I am, into my 4th month and still suffering, still incapacitated and estranged from "my life" I reinvented. I really feel like "stabbing someone"…
    "The best way to keep your health is to eat what you dont want- drink what you dont like- and do what you would rather not"

Losing to Crohns! :( Reach_Yeah's Avatar
    Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Reach_Yeah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jepitt View Post
    This is for Reach Yea, I have just been randomly reading this thread. Reach why did you have surgery on your abs?????
    I've got Crohns. Had my inflamed appendix removed and then the incisions got repeatedly infected with absesses which needed to be scooped out and drained around the intestines.

redgreenjr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jordaro2002 View Post
    What core buliding exercises do you recommend to strengthen the abdomen to prevent a recurrence of an abdominal hernia?

Any other tips for a person returning to lifting weights/cardio after hernia surgery?
    I'm no health professional, but I recommend doing planks, the abdominal exercises. And obviously, wait awhile after your surgery. I waited 4 weeks after my surgery berfore starting them, but I am kind of thin and had been doing them before the surgery as well. If you don't know about planks, here's a good place to start: exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises_10.htm

They are rather strenuous to do at first, but in a short time you can really feel the difference. I also recommend not doing them every day, but every other day. Of course, you need to check with your regular health care provider before taking any advice on the net. Good luck, and above all, don't push it.

Month four and starting back at the gym (take 2) today. I will do some light work and "baby step" my way back into a routine.

I also decided after my last post to go to the interview for the job and was successful; I start in July after the end of this financial year. I am hoping I can do the work with the hematoma and associated issues.

I am way not fit anymore, soo mucchh downtime and bed/couch time (as ordered) has left me a shell of the athlete I was pre hernia surgery. Now in my 4th month of recovery I would rate myself 30% able as compared to 100% pre surgery.

Just keep in mind pre op that things can go wrong and your entire life can be destroyed if you had an agenda and schedule. My agenda was simple; I was fit but had a small hernia which popped out from time to time. I could have waited on the public operation list for the operation but this could take years. I paid for this Day Surgery from my own small bank account so I would have zero health issues and would be able to work to retirement unimpeded (with no further breaks for health). That was my simple plan and agenda which with "the stroke of a knife" dropped me to my knees, where I remain.

I would not discourage anyone, but pre surgery tell your surgeon to be thorough and cap all the blood vessels and arteries. I would recommend a threat of physical violence if he did not because the consequences you might suffer may change your life plans and life as you knew it. I still might settle my score with my surgeon, he should keep away from me until I have recovered physically and even then for a few years until I muster together a semblance of the life I had before his blunder with my life. I need to mentally recover as well; I have become "angry" and outwardly "mean" toward everyone, threatening physical violence toward neighbours and their visitors, anyone who crosses my path.

This could happen to you!!

SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100) SL1D3R is not very well liked. (-100)
    38 days ago I had surgery to fix a congenital kidney issue.

I have three very small incisions/scars on my right abdomen and another scar on my right side where a drain was removed. The doctor didn't have to cut into my abdominal muscles, but I've still noticed a small amount of discomfort due to the close proximity of the incisions to the muscles.

About 2 weeks after my surgery I tried to lift some weights, but was still too sore. I ended up dropping a weight on my leg while I was there, but that's another story.

After 3 weeks I started to do a little bit of running and weightlifting. This was not smart. I still have a "stent" somewhere in me and the constant movement irritated my insides and made me piss blood.

At about 4 weeks, I went back and ran 3 miles. I felt great afterwards and didn't see any blood in my urine.

Last week, I went in and hit the weights pretty hard. I did some squats, pull ups, triceps, etc. and exercised for about 1.5 hrs. I was happy about the results, but felt like sh*t afterwards and had a lot of blood in my urine.

My recommendation would be to take it easy and wait until 4 weeks after your surgery. Anything before that and you risk re-injuring yourself.

Originally Posted by SL1D3R View Post
    38 days ago I had surgery to fix a congenital kidney issue.

I have three very small incisions/scars on my right abdomen and another scar on my right side where a drain was removed. The doctor didn't have to cut into my abdominal muscles, but I've still noticed a small amount of discomfort due to the close proximity of the incisions to the muscles.

About 2 weeks after my surgery I tried to lift some weights, but was still too sore. I ended up dropping a weight on my leg while I was there, but that's another story.

After 3 weeks I started to do a little bit of running and weightlifting. This was not smart. I still have a "stent" somewhere in me and the constant movement irritated my insides and made me piss blood.

At about 4 weeks, I went back and ran 3 miles. I felt great afterwards and didn't see any blood in my urine.

Last week, I went in and hit the weights pretty hard. I did some squats, pull ups, triceps, etc. and exercised for about 1.5 hrs. I was happy about the results, but felt like sh*t afterwards and had a lot of blood in my urine.

My recommendation would be to take it easy and wait until 4 weeks after your surgery. Anything before that and you risk re-injuring yourself.
    That is good advice from what I experienced, but as I said I am entering month 4 of downtime (not by choice). The job I have taken is $10 per hour less than my proper/trained pay scale (usual) but I can't be picky, it is less risk and effort as well, so I may succeed with my present disabilities.

Really mine is a senario (print out some posts) to run past your surgeon pre operation and have some kind of assurance he will carefully cap or cauterise all blood vessels and arteries, I could easily have died and felt like I was close to death (within myself) many times in the first month post op. Mine is a worst case senario, other than death I can not imagine worse and on occassion I felt death would have been less painful.

If I had a reference or even imagined this could have occurred, I would have had a seperate verbal contract with my surgeon like "if this happens to me I will stab you and incapacitate you for the same period of suffering you inflict on me". I am still considering reprisals..

TJS525 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Had Bilateral Hernia Repair

In June I came down with a Inguinal (groin) Hernia on my left side. I wasn't doing anything strenuous when it occurred, but I live a very active lifestyle so it may have been building over time. I had some things going on in my military training that prohibited me from getting it fixed right away. Fast forward to August and I had the time to get it repaired. Turns out that I actually had a Bilateral Inguinal Hernia (big on left, small on right). Due to the military medical system being so damn slow, I had to wait till almost the end of September to get the surgery. I was told by the doctors to not do any physical activity until the surgery because there is a high risk of hernia strangulation (cut off blood supply). It was hard news to take since I workout everyday, run, etc, and now I had to stop. I felt like bum.

I had Laparoscopic Surgery (three small incisions) and had mesh put in to repair the weak wall. The first few days of recovery were painful. I was told by the surgeon that it was going to be more painful than usual because the surgery was "rougher than expected." What he meant by that, I don't know, but it was at a military hospital so those that know what that's like can use your imagination. There was no pain at the incision sites. All the pain was from the mesh sites and some pain on the left side of my sack (bruising from the poking). It took me about three days before I could move my bowels. I was taking prescription constipation meds to assist. It also hurt whenever I had to piss because the bladder would push down on the site. My diet was unchanged from the surgery and the same day I had the surgery I was able to eat solid foods with no issues.

For the first 4-5 days I took it real easy and rested. Cut the pain meds after day 3 because they were were making me feel sick and I couldn't sleep at night. After about 4-5 days I was able to walk around with little issue. There was a lot of pain when I would sneeze, but other than that I was feeling pretty good. After day 5 I was up and walking around with no issues.

As of now, it's been 14 days since the surgery and I feel pretty good. I'm anxious to get back into running, but I'm very hesitant. The surgeon said I could begin swimming and biking after two weeks, so I plan on hitting the bike in the gym, taking it easy, but enough to get my heart rate up. I'm going to wait six weeks before I get back into the gym and I plan on doing low weight with high reps. I have a very strenuous year ahead of me and I don't want to rush it and have complications.

I will continue to post my progress.
    Last edited by TJS525; 10-05-2010 at 07:15 AM.

well I am still taking baby steps. I have put on a lot of weight by managing exercise and diet badly. The last incident with my case was last week, when the tendons and ligaments which were encapsulated by the hematoma "snapped" and dragged the remainder of the hematoma to the center of my groin. I am thinking all which the hematoma encapsulated has been dissolved by the hematoma and the process which reduces and dissolves the hematoma.

I am getting better everyday, but it may be many more months before I will be back to how I was pre the surgery which went disastrously wrong. Maybe I will never recover, this may be it and has aged me 10 years over the last 7 months.

Just be aware as I was not informed, if your surgeon is sloppy, life as you knew it may cease to exist. I am presently riding a bike daily and doing some boxing "bag work" for activity. I will get back to weight lifting when I have successfully completed my cycling routine in November.

I still don't know if I will succeed there, because I am still in pain with what is left of the hematoma which has eaten my tendons and ligaments causing constant discomfort and pain when I exercise doing anything.

5 Weeks after the surgery...

To follow up on my first post...

It's been five weeks and 1 day since my surgery and I have been cleared by the surgeon to do, as he puts it, "Whatever I want." I also saw a physical therapist to get some ideas on strengthening the area to prevent a recurrence. The physical therapist said it's best to do core exercises and gave me the first five phases of the lumbar stabilization to do (google it). I did the core exercises and then took 20 pound dumbbells and did some hammer curls to see how it felt. Everything feels good and no pain, so tomorrow I'll bike and do some more light lifting. It was recommended that I start on the bike and/or elliptical and after doing that a few times, begin running again. Looking forward to getting back into the swing of things.

well, I ride in a Triathlon on Sunday. My daughter signed me up in her team to do the cycle leg, this was to get me training as hard and soon as I could, for recovery from the hernia operation (bad outcome) almost 8 months ago. I am in the worst condition I have been in since I had a Motorcycle accident in 1987..

I am overweight and still suffer discomfort from the remainder of the hematoma, struggling with the pain and discomfort from the ligaments the hematoma dissolved, snapped and finished up in a knot in my groin. The incontinence has eased with the detachment of the hematoma (held by ligaments which snapped) from my right inner hip. The pain in my bladder eased when this part of the hematoma snapped. I still need to be aware of incontinence all the time however!

It appears the hematoma is reducing and separating from the bones in my joints where the disintegrated ligaments attached it for almost 8 months. I must say there have been many times I have been so depressed I could have taken my life..

I am mending, but at my age, the setback and suffering has aged me 15years estimate now and ended a very active life I enjoyed and has reduced me to a life like many of my unhealthy, ordinary and having medical problems due to not working out, peers.. I have been "cut down" like a healthy well aged tree and reduced to rubble.

I will do my best at this cycle leg, I had hoped when she thought of this 6 months ago, I would have been ready and hoped to have been fit enough (hematoma disability reduced enough) to train. This has not been the case, but I do as much as i can , when I am able.

I don't know why my outcome was so bad and everyone elses was "normal"? My doctor tried to tell me this is a common problem with hernia operations? yet, I am the only one here to have this occur and had never heard of this pre operation (gone wrong), nor have I heard of it since my operation, nor can I find many google refernces, if it were common we would have a recovery thread for hernia operations "gone wrong", we doont because "Doctors lie".. I feel suicidal even recounting my losses, I was on my way to greatness in BB to be "cut down" by a surgeon in a hurry to get back to his patients a mile away in his surgery and or lunch!

Six weeks...

Today marks six weeks since surgery. I hit the gym last week and have been going everyday. Typical slow start after not working out for a few months. Waiting for muscle memory to kick in. Ran 3 miles last week and just ran 5 miles today. The first time I ran was horrible because of the not running for so long, but today's run went really well and I'm feeling good. Also rode the bike a few times with no issues. On the rode to strengthening.

I did very well in the Triathlon. I expected to do 1hr 35mins, but, did the 40klms in 1hr 18mins. I did not have any hematoma issues other than my reduced capacity over the last 8 months. I did not push myself in the race, I took it as a Sunday ride chatting to other cyclists as I passed them and stopping to help a rider broken down a long way from help. I had transition issues because I am disabled but used my own watch to time my ride.

I really did not know where I was in relation to halfway or finish line as I had never been on this course and it was closed when I went to drive it! I did see where the turnaround point was at Cooroy and estimated I would do that 20klms in 35mins to Noosa, it did take me 50 mins to do the first 20klms because of mountain climb and 28 mins to do second 20klms. Now it is baby steps to get my health back dealing with the aftermath of the hematoma and bad operation outcome 8 months ago!

Hernia repair ! Worst case senario

Wow, the time has flown, but still it has been a downward spiral since that hernia operation went wrong. The latest is a new diagnosis of the surgeon had impinged a nerve when he stitched me up. That makes and artery he did not attend which took me back to emergency for four days and a nerve which explained the feeling of someone had taken an oxy torch to my groin. I am still incapacitated and 102 kilograms fat.

Now the surgeon has been spoken too and is in denial. He says he did not hear back from me, I did not attend my post opp appointment and he believed I was fine. This is a lie, because at midnight the night of the operation he was phoned up by emergency department and was ready to operate on me but it was 50klms away and I had no way of getting to his hospital. I also had eaten after I got home, before the hematoma had reached maximum pressure in my groin.

This surgeon was fully aware of my condition, his colleague had pushed me out of hospital after 4 days, and I had to be driven by friends and helped into my flat. Friends had to shop for me, go to the letterbox and chemist for me, cook, wash and clean my flat for me for a month or more.

The new doctor asked was the hernia repair successful, I said, I don’t know, I have been disabled since he butchered me (the surgeon). Maybe I said, but I have not been able to test it!

Seriously, the impinged nerve diagnosis was the only logical explanation for my incapacity. It really felt like "raw oxy torch 3rd degree burns in my groin, which I could not bend twist or even urinated properly for months". The incontinence was the worst post op problem. For months my gear was poking out to the left of a massive 600mll blood clot, not down, 90 degrees to the side of the hematoma. I could not piss from the first post op minute.

For this surgeon to pretend he was not aware what was going on with me is a joke. He has only infuriated me by saying this; so much that litigation would not appease my anger or satisfy my "now" need for revenge. Nothing short of choking him out and pruning his index fingers and thumbs, will give me satisfaction right now. Then he will not be able to work, as I have not been able, and he will have a long recovery as I have not recovered and he will have a long time to think about respecting other people lives, not just butchering them when he is in a hurry.

Joe5311 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile It's been 4 weeks since Hernia surgery...

Hey guys,
    I have been following threats for a while now, and decided to share some of my experience.
    I had surgery 4 weeks ago. big 'ol hernia in the groin area I had carried around for a while and finally decided to get it taken care of. I had surgery on a Thursday morning. was walking and going to the restroom late that day. I stayed in the Hospital for 3 days, so I won't do any stupid stuff. I was walking 3 hours on day 1 one after surgery without anymore pain meds. 2nd day same thing, and I went back home. The Doctor told me my body will tell me when it's too much.. Thanks I thought...
    anyway, I didn't have any pain or anything. I started riding my bike again on day 4. ( I'm mainly a cyclist, doing the gym just to support..) been riding almost every day since. no real pressure on the pedals yet though. All this time the only thing that worried me a bit was the swelling in the cut area. BUt I was told that it was totally normal and might be like that for a while..... Nobody ever told me for how long.. ideas???? I went in the gym first time today.... Again light exercises. 10 lbs bi/lat/tri etc... still no pressure on anything... just feeling anzy to get going again. Everything seems totally fine. I will wait until week 6 with some harder workouts though.
    All I can say so far.... I wish I had it taken care of earlier.... The healing process is so much less painful then running around with the daily BS a Hernia gets you.
    I'm a lot happier then 3 month ago. I'm planning on doing my first race in the beginning of August.

SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000)
    I just got out of my surgery I had on friday to repair a inlunguial hernia... I have never been in so much pain in my life.. The doctor told me because of where the hernia was I would never be able to lift heavy again,.. depressing as fuc*... He said mine was a big one.. I hear everyone talking about 3-4 inch scars mine is a lil bigger.. Do you think I will ever be able to get back to doing weightlifting/ boxing and mma type stuff like I was doing before?? Here is a picture of the scar. I have made a commiment not to do any lifting at all until about september I will do nothing but walking until then...
    Attached Images

kathy29m is not very well liked. (-100) kathy29m is not very well liked. (-100) kathy29m is not very well liked. (-100) kathy29m is not very well liked. (-100) kathy29m is not very well liked. (-100) kathy29m is not very well liked. (-100) kathy29m is not very well liked. (-100) kathy29m is not very well liked. (-100) kathy29m is not very well liked. (-100) kathy29m is not very well liked. (-100) kathy29m is not very well liked. (-100)
    my sister has the same problom after give birth she can't do excersie so her belly getting big more than befor.

Originally Posted by kathy29m View Post
    my sister has the same problom after give birth she can't do excersie so her belly getting big more than befor.
    thats cute maybe she has a similar problem to an inaugural hernia only men can suffer..lol..this is a man only problem sorry no rudeness meant.

Originally Posted by SamDowdy View Post
    I just got out of my surgery I had on friday to repair a inlunguial hernia... I have never been in so much pain in my life.. The doctor told me because of where the hernia was I would never be able to lift heavy again,.. depressing as fuc*... He said mine was a big one.. I hear everyone talking about 3-4 inch scars mine is a lil bigger.. Do you think I will ever be able to get back to doing weightlifting/ boxing and mma type stuff like I was doing before?? Here is a picture of the scar. I have made a commiment not to do any lifting at all until about september I will do nothing but walking until then...
    I have never got back to jujitsu and aikido as well as full contact sparring since Surgeon Nick Palmer of Mater Complex Rockhampton Queensland "butchered me". I have aged 20 years; I am sick weak and almost so depressed could take my life rather than live like this any longer. Look at my profile pictures, and imagine me now 250lb and beaten by a butcher who calls himself a surgeon and "practices medicine".

It is too early for you to tell, wait 6 weeks and keep trying, I was still trying every day in every way but the pain I suffer is nerve pain from an impinged nerve that idiot Palmer stitched into the operation. Not to mention a massive hematoma (he left an artery open in my groin) which only disappeared after 12 full months but damaged every sinew, tendon and cartilage it had encapsulated in my entire left side groin/hip/chi/thigh area. The hematoma was so big 2 doctors who tried to help me said it was the biggest they had ever seen. It was uncomfortable to walk, sleep, turn in bed, bend or move for 9 full months and is still huge painful today 16 months later.

I was in denial and believed I would recover quickly. They told me it would be six weeks and the hematoma would be gone, it was 12 months and all the hematoma encapsulated was destroyed, I am still in pain and the nerve swells and stops me after a few days to a week of trying to resume my gym workouts. I can tolerate life if I don’t move anymore, if I move the nerve exponentially swells stopping me like a train wreck after a few days of exercise, no matter how light.

If you did not have a hematoma or an incompetent surgeon like Dr Nick Palmer of Rockhampton Queensland who left the artery unchecked and stitched a nerve into the operation, you should be fine “permanently”. The operation is nothing and you would be normal after 3 to 6 weeks unless something went wrong.

I always kept a positive attitude and tried relentlessly to keep even the mildest of exercise going from the second month, I failed because doctors lied their arses off and paid me lip service to cover up another local surgeons mistakes and the cover up included hiding visits to emergency and telling me “no one will help you, they wont touch Nick Palmers mistake incase they get the blame for making it worse”. They discharged me without making notes when I was on my knees and almost dead and still bleeding internally for weeks, they refused me treatment or kept me in emergency without making records, and sent me home 4 times like this.

Unless you have experienced this or these complications you should be fine and fighting again real soon, lucky you, an old granny on her piss pot could beat me right now , I need a gun from now on!

BigIrish5150 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Dying to lose weight, please help.

I have had two umbilical hernia surgeries. The last one was very difficult because when they opened me up, the surgeon found five more small tears in my abdomen. I also have Lymph-Adema which causes my legs to swell and prevents me from doing a lot of exercises involving cardio. I am also an asthmatic. I am desperate to lose weight as i am now over 300lbs, and i am only 5'9". If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well it's been almost 10 weeks since my surgery.. I started back light weightlifting 2 weeks ago, and started back with light boxing a few days last week.. What concerns me is after I do the boxing I feel some tightness in the area and a feeling of like I been kicked in the balls.. No Joke.. I called the doctor back and he said if it still bothers me I will have to come down tiesday to see him, he said it may be another one forming in the same area.. I dont feel it when walking a treadmill, riding a stationary bike, I do feel it when im laying falt doing bench presses or overhead shoulder presses but its not bad enough to force me to stop.. it just feels like a pulling or feeling of tightness... Should I be worried about this??? And RicG777 that sucks about your surgeon man, the one im seeing actually seems to act like he cares about the patient and seems to wanna make sure everything is alright before he turns me loose... But Im a lil worried something aint right, im hopeing its just sore from the boxing I been doing and not another hernia.. if I have to go through that hernia surgery hell I will have to go on meds from the damn depression that follows

Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by RicG777 View Post
    I would not discourage anyone, but pre surgery tell your surgeon to be thorough and cap all the blood vessels and arteries. I would recommend a threat of physical violence if he did not because the consequences you might suffer may change your life plans and life as you knew it. I still might settle my score with my surgeon, he should keep away from me until I have recovered physically and even then for a few years until I muster together a semblance of the life I had before his blunder with my life.
    I hear you man. This surgery stuff up that you experienced is nothing new. In Australia we get thousands people dying or being disabled by doctors negligence each year. Much of this is covered up, but everyone has a right to know. People go to hospital and end up sicker when they get out.

I work as a RN and personally know doctors, who are responsible for the deaths of multiple patients. They never get punished as they are well protected by the medical registration board. It's very difficult to even put a complaint in. I hope the frackers get the karma they deserve.
    Strength without endurance, is as useless as, endurance without strength

*Eternal Virgin Crew*

MrMuscles2012 is not very well liked. (-100) MrMuscles2012 is not very well liked. (-100) MrMuscles2012 is not very well liked. (-100) MrMuscles2012 is not very well liked. (-100) MrMuscles2012 is not very well liked. (-100) MrMuscles2012 is not very well liked. (-100) MrMuscles2012 is not very well liked. (-100) MrMuscles2012 is not very well liked. (-100) MrMuscles2012 is not very well liked. (-100) MrMuscles2012 is not very well liked. (-100) MrMuscles2012 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by jordaro2002 View Post
    What core buliding exercises do you recommend to strengthen the abdomen to prevent a recurrence of an abdominal hernia?

Any other tips for a person returning to lifting weights/cardio after hernia surgery?
    Pilates.

bjlkt2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bjlkt2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bjlkt2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bjlkt2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bjlkt2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bjlkt2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bjlkt2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bjlkt2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bjlkt2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bjlkt2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bjlkt2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by RicG777 View Post
    thats cute maybe she has a similar problem to an inaugural hernia only men can suffer..lol..this is a man only problem sorry no rudeness meant.
    That's the most absurd thing I've heard on this site yet. Not only men can get it. It is more *common* for men but women can get it too. The lifetime risk for men is 27% and for women is 3%. Please don't make ignorant comments.

BAM407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

post inguinal surgery

Well my biggest fear came true ,I got an inguinal hernia from.doing bent over barbell rows ,had surgery two weeks later (Monday 4/24/12) since I'm.starting the fire academy soon...its day 4 and I'm walking fine slight pain/discomfort every once and a while but nothing compared to the first couple days ...I'm.actually feeling like going to the gym and doing some cardio on the bike ,not going to the gym is killing me but I don't want to risk it ,imo I'm feeling like ill give it another week before I go ..gonna start start light with machines avoiding anything that stresses my core..

Patentguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi. I was diagnosed with a hernea about 6 weeks ago. I run marathons and lift weights. In 30 years I have not missed more than a week off of some type of exercise. I had laproscopic surgury a week ago with a mesh installed. Big pain for first two days. Now not so bad once I get moving. Doc said I could run at 2 weeks from surgery- so I will run next week no matter what. Also said no weight lifting for 8 weeks. Not going to the gym is the hardest thing ever. I find red wine is helping, but I feel weak. Day before surgery (8 days ago) I went to the gym with my son and benched 255 easily- I weigh 170 and am 50 years old. All natural- less than 10% body fat- low carb diets. At least he got to see his dad bench. After only 1 week, I feel fat, lazy n weak. How the heck do you guys make it 8 weeks and how long will it take to get strength back at my age?

After 2 years and 4 months

Originally Posted by Patentguy View Post
    Hi. I was diagnosed with a hernea about 6 weeks ago. I run marathons and lift weights. In 30 years I have not missed more than a week off of some type of exercise. I had laproscopic surgury a week ago with a mesh installed. Big pain for first two days. Now not so bad once I get moving. Doc said I could run at 2 weeks from surgery- so I will run next week no matter what. Also said no weight lifting for 8 weeks. Not going to the gym is the hardest thing ever. I find red wine is helping, but I feel weak. Day before surgery (8 days ago) I went to the gym with my son and benched 255 easily- I weigh 170 and am 50 years old. All natural- less than 10% body fat- low carb diets. At least he got to see his dad bench. After only 1 week, I feel fat, lazy n weak. How the heck do you guys make it 8 weeks and how long will it take to get strength back at my age?
    Good Luck,

After 2 years and four months I have returned to "work experience" (part time, unpaid) as part of rehabilitation. The last two weeks I have managed to find my feet again, before that it was a downward spiral to the bottom, where I remained since November 2011. I am obese, weak and still have mobility problems, I can bend a little but not bend and twist. In my case the surgeon accidentally cut an artery and stitched a nerve into the wound as well as slicing my bladder, I was the last patient of that day, he does them in bunches. At my age this operation ended my life as I knew it. I went from really fit, a machine, sex was always on my agenda "to" just an obese mortal who could not even wack off due to pain and still have not had sex since the operation. I mean I could pay for sex as the obese person I am but because of the pain and scar tissue/cellulite from dried out massive hematoma, it has been impossible since the operation went drastically wrong. Before I had women pestering me for sex, later I had to avoid them, now nothing, and still not wanting to risk the consequences of trying, even for money. My life truly ended on that operating table in Hillcrest Hospital Rockhampton Australia in March 2010. My daughter was getting married and I was proud to walk her down the aisle, they did not marry and now she is about to marry, and I look like the "hunchback of Notre dame" quasi moto.. After not getting work since the second the surgery finished, I have no money now for her reception. I had to move to ghetto and lost all my friends except two, I could no longer afford my previous lifestyle with zero income, I did last 6 months from savings and then realised on welfare, my life was spiralling downward month by month, day by day, and I am still not recovered. I guess Dr Nick Palmer "the butcher of Rockhampton" owes my life back, but at my age, I have no time for legal battles and no money to fight them. In my case, hernia surgery "ended my life and my future" it ended my relationship with my children and I have bad thoughts of revenge every day. I went from a life people would dream of, to, well, a nightmare and it isn't over yet. I guess it was the nerve he stitched in the wound as well as slicing my bladder that was the worst, the pain was invisible, but the constant smell of urine on me and in my flat, as well as leakage constantly which made my schizophrenia get real bad. I would shower 3 times a day and constantly change clothes and bedding all day, but it is still bad and I could not keep up the discipline. My friend thinks I am unclean, but it is the bladder leakage, I am clean, but have upto 3 showers a day and 3 changes of clothes, constant bed linen changing, constant washing machine going daily, I cant even be bothered (after almost 2.5 years) now before they come, as it is usually unexpected visits and she tells me me and my flat smell like piss and i smell like piss. I have been told Surgeon Nick Palmer pays over $6000 a month in insurance for solicitors to stop claims like mine and tie me up for he rest of my life if i try to sue him, so why try, I have no money now and no income, why not just wait till I am going to suicide, then take him out first ?

I think I have been a "PatientGuy"

Were u as good as me to start?

Originally Posted by Patentguy View Post
    Did u look like me to start with? I had been a BB before and had only been working out 13 weeks when those pics were taken February 2010! 13 weeks of gym after years of rehab and determination for a new life. I was benching 250lb after 13 weeks, but my best was 372lbs last time I was BB. You sak how long to recover? I ask how long is a piece of string? After a mid life appendix operation with a bigger wound, I was back at work after 4 days as a Corrections Officer in a Maximum Security Gaol (when I was BB early day). Now I am 58 years old, I actually died on that operation table March 2010, i am just liguering and they will bury me, "like all Doctors mistakes" later. The problem was also, if I did not want full time work, I did not need the operation. second I had no insurance and paid for the operation from my savings (which after 2 1/2 years of unemplyment due to operation fail is all gone). Mine was just a small niggling hernia when I did heavy exercise it popped out, well only when jogging really and I did not need to jog! I could pop it back in immediently by stretching my right arm in the air! I was around 175cm and 172lbs when Nicholas Palmer took his scalpal to my groin. Maybe I will take a scapal to Doctor Nicholas Palmer's groin. Oh, I was as fit as I had ever been since a MVA accident in 1987 sidelined my with permanent spinal injuries. Now if I want to get my groceries to my ghetto flat, i have to leave some at the bottom of the steps and do 2 trips, as my knees are finally caving in after the 80lb weight gain and shrinking of my muscle replaced by useless fat, I have spinal inuries which combned with the groin pain and scar tissue from aftermath of surgeon mistake, I doubt I will ever regain my health and probably be dead soon.