cobrav12engine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobrav12engine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobrav12engine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobrav12engine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobrav12engine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobrav12engine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobrav12engine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobrav12engine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobrav12engine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobrav12engine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Considering purhcasing the LifeFitness G5

Hello everyone.

Me and my younger brother are training at home.
    Since we live in a remote place, the nearest gym is very far away from our home. We have already tried a one year membership there, but since it was highly inconvenient getting there, we gave up after six months, and eventually it was a waste of money.

Since then we decided to assemble a home gym. We already have the basics (a bench, dumbbells, olympic/curl/EZ bars and more) and we are now looking for something else than free weights. Since we are very space-limited, I am looking for multi-trainer.

I do aerobics a lot, mainly running and cycling, hence why I need a machine with emphasis on leg workout. I want the machine to contain a wide array of exercises for the legs.
    My younger brothers is only 16 years old but he is pretty serious into weight lifting. He lifts weights a lot heavier than me and he is much more ripped. He requires a machine that offers many workouts to the every part of the body and can sustain high weight loads.
    Me and my brother's heights are 6"1 (185cm) and 6" (183cm), respectively.

I am willing to pay premium (however, I very fond of value for money...) for a quality machine from a world-renowned brand that will last longer and that will function well, no matter what weight or exercise.
    I really do not want rust or loose screws after one week.

I live in Israel, therefore we have a very minimized options. Most of the times it is a rattling, mediocre machine (at best).
    However, a successful brand here (it is also used in our gyms) that is also renowned in other parts of the world is LifeFitness. We have already purchased a treadmill from them and it is great.

They are offering us the LifeFitness G5 Home Gym. What do you think?

(BTW - I also spotted some Vectra machines, but we do not have Bowflex, Hoist, Nautilus, Powertec etc).

Thanks a lot and sorry for the long post.

Best Regards,
    Samuel

Labrador will become famous soon enough. (+50) Labrador will become famous soon enough. (+50) Labrador will become famous soon enough. (+50) Labrador will become famous soon enough. (+50) Labrador will become famous soon enough. (+50) Labrador will become famous soon enough. (+50) Labrador will become famous soon enough. (+50) Labrador will become famous soon enough. (+50) Labrador will become famous soon enough. (+50) Labrador will become famous soon enough. (+50) Labrador will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I just bought a good as new LifeFitness GS2 from ebay for $200 for use as a lat machine (i already have a power rack). It's very smooth and seems well built and Im happy with it. It takes a very long time to assemble though. But for $2000 or more i would probably want a machine that could handle a bit more than 73+23=96kg.

cobrav12engine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobrav12engine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobrav12engine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobrav12engine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobrav12engine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobrav12engine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobrav12engine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobrav12engine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobrav12engine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobrav12engine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks. I like the facts that is built well. That is my main focus.
    Regarding the weight, I heard there is an extension. BTW, what weight would you prefer and what is considered to be norm?

More opinions?
    Thanks in advance

get back jojo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    LifeFitness makes good stuff. They are one of, if not THE leader, in ellipticals. Their home gyms are nice too, and well-built. Smooth and solid. (They took over Parabody's line of home gyms - well-respected).

I preferred the GS4, but the G5 is more versatile. (It's also a newer design and more expensive). You won't be unhappy with it; if you have very limited options, you are lucky to have that among them. But just as here in the US, it's always better to try it out in person if you have the opportunity.

Good luck.
    Get back to where you once belonged.

Thanks man.

I wish I could have tried it in one of the importer's warehouses... But they do not carry it, currently. I need to check if there's enough headroom (weight-wise) and what are the leg and pectoral exercise options...

BTW, why did you prefer the GS4? And what is "ellipticals"? Thanks again.

need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How about a rack?

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    I also prefer the GS4
    I had the GS 6 and it was very well made and gives you the option to work legs
    I do not like the "cable motion" as even though it seems versatile, it really is pretty limiting, the only good thing about that system is the removable bench
    If you went with the GS4 you could afford the leg press option too
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

Originally Posted by cobrav12engine View Post
    Thanks man.

...what are the leg and pectoral exercise options...

BTW, why did you prefer the GS4? And what is "ellipticals"? Thanks again.
    Go here http://us.home.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/homegyms to compare the models. There are videos shwing them in use, and lists of exercises you can do.

The GS4 is "older style;" for most exercises you pull or push the handles along a fixed track or path (like the press bar or the pec bar/handles), isolating particular muscles. (Though there's also a low, middle, and high pulley you can pull out at various angles or from various positions, and with various attachable handles or bars. The G5 is the newer style that a lot of manufacturers are moving toward - more pulleys that you can set in adjustable positions to mimic the same movements, but since you are pulling a cable the thought is you you have to use more surrounding, or stabilizing, muscles in addition to the one you are primarily working, in order to move along the right path - the machine does not "force" you along the path. It's a matter of personal taste really; for lat pull-downs, for example, the GS4 has a traditional bar, where on the G5 you pull down two handles, each connected to a cable and through a pulley.

Also if you look under Life Fitness' webpage under "cardio," you will see what an elliptical machine is - it simulates running, but with much less pounding on the ankles and knees than on a treadmill. (Each foot moves in the shape of an ellipse, or flattened circle.) Very popular in the US, for home and membership gyms. Life Fitness is in many gyms and are very well-made and well-liked. It is not what you are looking for, but I only mentioned it because you said you felt your Life Fitness treadmill was well-made.

Again, good luck.

Labrador will become famous soon enough. (+50) Labrador will become famous soon enough. (+50) Labrador will become famous soon enough. (+50) Labrador will become famous soon enough. (+50) Labrador will become famous soon enough. (+50) Labrador will become famous soon enough. (+50) Labrador will become famous soon enough. (+50) Labrador will become famous soon enough. (+50) Labrador will become famous soon enough. (+50) Labrador will become famous soon enough. (+50) Labrador will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It seems working out on the G5 would be more like working out with dumb bells. You use more stabilizer muscles but you can handle less weight so youre not hitting the main muscles as hard. Working out on the GS2 feels more like working out with a (leverage) machine. This is better for isolation and hitting the target muscle. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

I just tried out the GS2 at full load 96kg. First I could do all excercises except biceps/triceps for multiple reps. So even I as a fat old guy can't use it anymore for my main workout. Second the machine was showing the strain. When I used the calf raise option the weight stack started wobbling sideways quite a bit. I havent mounted the optional weight shrouds yet though. Also the GS4 has extra side struts and an extra foot so I guess it wouldn't be a concern there.

Alternative: How about asking the gym owner where he got his equipment and ask them about a commercial lat machine?

Thanks a ton for the input guys... Helps me a lot.

Originally Posted by need2eat View Post
    How about a rack?
    Sorry, but what's a rack?

Originally Posted by ctgblue View Post
    I also prefer the GS4
    I had the GS 6 and it was very well made and gives you the option to work legs
    I do not like the "cable motion" as even though it seems versatile, it really is pretty limiting, the only good thing about that system is the removable bench
    If you went with the GS4 you could afford the leg press option too
    There's no such model GS6 (I think, at least not a LifeFitness' website...), what model did you meant? And why the cable motion technology is limiting? Regarding the removable bench, what are its functions? And what's the leg press option?

Sorry for being a n00b...

Originally Posted by Labrador View Post
    I just tried out the GS2 at full load 96kg. First I could do all excercises except biceps/triceps for multiple reps. So even I as a fat old guy can't use it anymore for my main workout. Second the machine was showing the strain. When I used the calf raise option the weight stack started wobbling sideways quite a bit. I havent mounted the optional weight shrouds yet though. Also the GS4 has extra side struts and an extra foot so I guess it wouldn't be a concern there.

Alternative: How about asking the gym owner where he got his equipment and ask them about a commercial lat machine?
    I do not understand your post well... (sorry, it isn't your fault, I'm not a native English speaker). Why can't you use the GS2 for your main workout? And why the machine is starting to get "rusty"? I thought LifeFitness make quality products that last for at least a couple of years...

And finally, what are "optional weight shrouds", "extra side struts" and "extra foot"?

You guys have no idea how grateful I am...

Regards,
    Samuel

Originally Posted by Labrador View Post
    So even I as a fat old guy can't use it anymore for my main workout.
    Ha ha ha let's hear it for the fat old guys. I got a few years and a few pounds on you, but not for long. At least as far as the pounds go, anyway. Haven't figured out what to do about the years.

Keep up the good work!

Sorry for the bump.

I read some a figured what a rack is, it's huge and doesn't offer much to us, so out of the question.

Ultimately the G5 looks real nice and I can think of dozens of exercises it can offer the every part of the body. The GS4 on the other hand is much less versatile. My final conclusion is it is a matter of personal preference and the best decision is to visit the warehouse and try the machines myself and check what suits us best.

However, Labrador, I am still waiting for your input.

Thanks!

Don't worry. My machine is not rusted. It still works perfectly. It is three years old.

jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jude-o has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I read some a figured what a rack is, it's huge and doesn't offer much to us,
    The average power rack really doesn't have a much larger footprint than the average home gym machine; look up dimensions. Taller, yes, but you probably didn't need to preserve ceiling space.

I really hate to see people buy these 'multi-gym' machines. If you want strong legs, squatting is just such a great investment, and I've never seen a multi-gym that offered a decent squatting system. It's not that I'm anti-machine; there are some great machines out there. I am against these all-in-one machines that might do one or two things well and most things clumsily, especially if they're being used as a replacement for heavy compound lifting rather than as an addition to it.

Originally Posted by jude-o View Post
    The average power rack really doesn't have a much larger footprint than the average home gym machine; look up dimensions. Taller, yes, but you probably didn't need to preserve ceiling space.

I really hate to see people buy these 'multi-gym' machines. If you want strong legs, squatting is just such a great investment, and I've never seen a multi-gym that offered a decent squatting system. It's not that I'm anti-machine; there are some great machines out there. I am against these all-in-one machines that might do one or two things well and most things clumsily, especially if they're being used as a replacement for heavy compound lifting rather than as an addition to it.
    x2 I agree completely with jude. I bought a power rack and bench first before i bought the GS2.

Thanks. I can truly understand your thoughts.
    However, a rack is currently out of the question so there is no point in talking about it. We do not have enough space for a device that offers a relatively small amount of exercises and we really want to try something other than free weights. It just doesn't seem practical to us, at least not now.
    We already have a bench and a supportive structure to do shoulder/bench press, squats (I do not know how you name it in English).
    Regarding a machine, that's why I am posting here, in order to get things right and not eventually getting a clumsy machine like you mentioned.