Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Need Speed Training/Strength/Power/flexibility etc. training info? Come here

If you require speed training info, strength training, power training, flexibility, technique or any type of conditioning for your sport, please post here. This is only for as I list above.

Some things you may want to know about are:

40 yard run
    track sprints
    track runs
    strength training
    agility
    flexbility
    power training

and so on.

dwyzee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey farzamk,

Just read your reply on sprinting tips! very impressive stuff so i think you can help me! Im a golfer from aus, looking to start playing serious amateur golf again. Im currently of 2 and need to add 40yards distance to my game, my main problem limiting this is my lack of flexibility/strength in my core hips area.
    Im really tight through the hips so would love appreciate some help in improving this area. Also want to start incorporating cardio into my routine and scale down my weight sessions from 4-5days to 2-3.

Thanks

aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000)
    if you dont have anything better to do, can you write up a program for me during the summer.
    i play football and inbetween the first part of summer practices and hell week, we have three weeks to do what ever.

im pretty skinny, but im gaining weight on my own.
    my stats are 5'6 133 lbs
    max bench 145 max squat 205 max clean and jerk 135
    40-4.9/5.0 shuttle-4.5 vert- i dont know

if you could give me something (workout, sprints, plyos, etc) for the summer, it would be greatly appreciated

thanks
    eric

farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farzamk has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Alrigth Eric can you write me a PM as a reminder?

Dwyzee, if your tight, stretch! Hip stretches are easy, place your legs in a lunge position. Put your knee on the ground and lean slighly forward and feel the stretch for 30 seconds each leg. Do this 3 times a day, every day of the week.

Also work on abdominal training, and fully stretch the abs after and repeat one more cycle of ab exercises and stretch again.

You may also want to add leg presses to your workout as well and keep the reps low at 4-6 and the weight as high as possible to do 4 reps as the most possible you can achieve in your current state.

In about a month, the tightness and lack of strength in your core and hips will go away. Just stretch daily, and do a large variety of ab exercises.

shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by farzamk View Post
    Alrigth Eric can you write me a PM as a reminder?

Dwyzee, if your tight, stretch! Hip stretches are easy, place your legs in a lunge position. Put your knee on the ground and lean slighly forward and feel the stretch for 30 seconds each leg. Do this 3 times a day, every day of the week.

Also work on abdominal training, and fully stretch the abs after and repeat one more cycle of ab exercises and stretch again.

You may also want to add leg presses to your workout as well and keep the reps low at 4-6 and the weight as high as possible to do 4 reps as the most possible you can achieve in your current state.

In about a month, the tightness and lack of strength in your core and hips will go away. Just stretch daily, and do a large variety of ab exercises.

You recommend one lower body movement and you select leg presses?

Ecto Bulking....HELP! Problem Child's Avatar
    Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Is it possible to be to flexiable if you want to be a good runner? Because I am a serious long distance runner but have always wanted to be able to do the splits, just wondering if there would be any harm in this?

Thanks.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." - Bon Scott

Doing the splits takes both huge amounts of flexibility work and good genetics, but most average people can do it over a long period of time stretching as long as you stretched as a kid. I know for a fact that marathoners should NOT be that flexible, even as flexible as some sprinters. Too much hip flexbility can cause to make you tired earlier on because your're naturally taking bigger strides than your pace earlier on for very long distance runners.

However if you run 800m or 1500m, I see no reason to not stretch more to achieve your goal.

Originally Posted by shadyniner View Post
    You recommend one lower body movement and you select leg presses?
    I don't get what you mean by that.

ChiefRocker is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChiefRocker is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChiefRocker is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChiefRocker is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChiefRocker is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChiefRocker is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChiefRocker is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChiefRocker is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChiefRocker is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChiefRocker is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChiefRocker is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    He means you should of recommended something else. Squats and DB Lunges are awesome!

Also to improve your stroke yardage you definately need to strengthen your core and your shoulders aswell..

Take a slightly heavy weight, and do side and front shoulder raises.
    They should be enough to strengthen your chest, tri's, shoulders, lats and back! You don't really want to gain muscle mass since you want swinging freedom.
    Animal: A hardcore, no-holds-barred bodybuilder. One who is supremely driven, focused and dedicated. The epitomy of what a bodybuilder is all about.

thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10) thaphoenix is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have no agility whatsoever, i can run pretty fast with like 30 second build up faze. So agility is really important to me as you can see. I'm done with rippetoes and doing the west side modified for hardgainers. I wasn't sure if i should do they're advance drills, so so you have any adcie? And i never really done any running, btw i play basketball.

Oh yes my bad, somehow I forget squats/lunges...Of course you want to be doing the squats and lunges+leg presses. The only difference in between squats and leg presses is that you are using other muscles for stability.
    Last edited by farzamk; 05-22-2007 at 01:28 PM.

Agility training/Acceleration

I've knew many people like that, running fast AFTER a 30 second build up simply tells you have very very very little acceleration. Agility is quickness but of course if you lack acceleration, you aren't going to be moving around rapidly.

So to improve acceleration, the best way to do so is train yourself to quickly reach your full speed and the best way to teach your body is by 2 methods:

Short Sprints
    Overspeed Training

Short sprints that are 10m-30m are the best way to improve acceleration. I reccomend hanging around the 10-20m for most of your workout. You should do 10x10m and 6x20m full speed with a minute rest in between or whenever you feel recovered, keep ALL YOUR FOCUS on fully exploding out and driving hard. You may take out a couple 10s and instead do a couple 30m with the same criteria.

Overspeed training can teach your neuromuscular system to adjust to your "new" running speed and increase your maximum speed. Now the difference you want to make here is that in real overspeed training you would use about 30m-40m to build up to 10% above maximum speed and the steepness of the hill lessens and you finish off with 10-20m more. But in your situation, you need to find a hill that is short and steep enough that you quickly gain speed and full stride in 30m and quickly end. Because you are teaching your neuromuscular system to quickly gain speed and reach full speed much quicker than your usual pace.

You want to do these sessions as speed days and never ever back to back.

Agility training is pretty straight forward for the most part. Changing directions quickly and having quick feet is what you are looking to do. One drill you need to learn is ankling. Basically moving your feet up about half a foot or so and down as quickly as you can do, your arms move in a much smaller area than your regular running form. Try doing several sets of these over 10m and it should take you about 6-8 seconds to finish it over 10m. This can be done on speed days as a part of your warm up.

As well you should do a variety of things like diagonal running for about 5m sprinting, then sprint in the opposite diagonal direction for another 5m and keep going about 5-6 times like this. Repeat this as one set over 5-6 sets.

As well we all know the famous agility ladder, you buy it and simply place it on the track or grass, just like ankling you do this as quickly as you can, and also go through this with one leg and double leg hopping.

Adding plyometrics to your speed day warm ups will help develop you more of a explosiveness. Do single leg hops and double leg hops over different directions and distances/heights to develop your power/agility and quickness.

Some things to add to your workouts are:

Skipping
    More technique drills for Sprinting
    Suicide style sprints
    More advanced plyos
    More dynamic stretches

Skipping is a good way of increasing stride frequency and can help develop more agility, After your couple laps, grab a rope and skip for 20 seconds as fast as you can, rest and repeat, try to quickly jump up and down.

More drills develop more technique and also cooredination why develops pretty much EVERYTHING. Do more A's, B's, C's, bounding, karoake, backward extension running and so on. Each drill 3 sets over 25m.

Suicide style sprinting is what basketball players do and is a great way to quickly change direction. However this needs to be modified in order to improve what you are looking for. So you would mark a line about 15m or so away. Sprint as fast as you can to the line and as quickly as possible, stop and turn around, sprint full speed back. Rest completely and repeat 4-5 times.

Adding more jumps which require more distance and height using boxes can help improve your coordination even further and thus you should add this to your plyometrics.

Dynamic stretches improve dynamic flexibility and this type of flexibility is influenced by static stretching (holding stretches, something you should do everyday as your training). Add more leg swings in both directions to improve dynamic flexbility in your hip flexors, glutes, hamstrings and adductors/abductors. You want to also try bending your knee to get a stretch through your quadriceps. Make sure you always do a dynamic warm up on speed days!

2 keys things:

1) NEVER EVER do sprinting workouts back to back days, just never ever do it.

2) Make sure you always keep your head down and stay very low during the first 20-30m of the sprint during races and workouts to better accelerate, this can be a enormous difference that your workouts wont change.

desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Oh yes my bad, somehow I forget squats/lunges...Of course you want to be doing the squats and lunges+leg presses. The only difference in between squats and leg presses is that you are using other muscles for stability.
    No offense, but you shouldn't be prescribing leg presses. Most people do them wrong by lifting up their hips, machines these days stabilize you so you don't have to and squats work way more muscles than leg presses. It hits you core more, helps with balance and works the glutes more.

Asafa Powell who's the world's fastest man uses leg presses. In fact he uses more front squats and rarely uses regular squats. Just stick to leg presses+squats+lunges as I said.

desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50) desteph will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Deadlifts and powercleans have helped my explosion from the starting position. Also, bulgarian split squats, heavy step ups, glue-ham raises and core work will help build speed. Trust me, the exercises I've listed are way better than leg presses. The exercises will help build up the posterior chain, which in return will make you faster.

shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10) shadyniner is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Asafa Powell who's the world's fastest man uses leg presses. In fact he uses more front squats and rarely uses regular squats. Just stick to leg presses+squats+lunges as I said.
    Yes, because high school and even college athletes should do exactly as Asafa Powell does. Did you ever think that Asafa Powell is the world's fastest man IN SPITE of his training, rather because of? Powell would probably be a world class sprinter while doing nothing but pilates.

Anyways, leg presses are probably the last movement I would do if I wanted to be fast. As others have said, squats, deads, unilateral leg work (step ups, lunges, split squats), even kettlebell swings and med ball throws for some hip extension. If you want people to take you seriously, stop reccomending leg presses.

The guy never asked for speed....

Which is why I don't do many leg presses with my athletes...

He asked for core and hip strength and hipe/core flexibility. I wrote down all the core work to do and everything plus hip strength training.

BTW, it is impossible to become even a good sprinter in freshman high school year without tons of proper training nowadays. Powell along with a whole bunch of other world class sprinters would be nowhere near good without proper training.

BTW also Ben Johnson who is someone I know well, used leg presses somewhat in his training in earlier and beginner years.

Squats are the way to go but some leg presses are not bad.

Registered User bernbabybern820's Avatar
    bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by shadyniner View Post
    Yes, because high school and even college athletes should do exactly as Asafa Powell does. Did you ever think that Asafa Powell is the world's fastest man IN SPITE of his training, rather because of? Powell would probably be a world class sprinter while doing nothing but pilates.

Anyways, leg presses are probably the last movement I would do if I wanted to be fast. As others have said, squats, deads, unilateral leg work (step ups, lunges, split squats), even kettlebell swings and med ball throws for some hip extension. If you want people to take you seriously, stop reccomending leg presses.
    Word. I actually saw Asafa doing step-ups with 205 pounds on his back with ease. Ridiculous.

BTW, he can only bench 225 a couple of times.

roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) roid_monkey is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by thaphoenix View Post
    I have no agility whatsoever, i can run pretty fast with like 30 second build up faze. So agility is really important to me as you can see. I'm done with rippetoes and doing the west side modified for hardgainers. I wasn't sure if i should do they're advance drills, so so you have any adcie? And i never really done any running, btw i play basketball.
    its actually modified for skinny bastards.
    Negs current month join date's on sight crew

Ecto Bulking....HELP! Problem Child's Avatar
    Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Doing the splits takes both huge amounts of flexibility work and good genetics, but most average people can do it over a long period of time stretching as long as you stretched as a kid. I know for a fact that marathoners should NOT be that flexible, even as flexible as some sprinters. Too much hip flexbility can cause to make you tired earlier on because your're naturally taking bigger strides than your pace earlier on for very long distance runners.

However if you run 800m or 1500m, I see no reason to not stretch more to achieve your goal.
    Ok thanks very much.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." - Bon Scott

No problem, ask anytime.

aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaa55555 is just really nice. (+1000)
    thanks for the help farzamk

No problem, if anyone was wondering, I PMed him a entire package of about 7-8 PMs covering full sprinting training info, because he asked for it a little earlier.

bob94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

periodizations

If you require speed training info, strength training, power training, flexibility, technique or any type of conditioning for your sport, please post here. This is only for as I list above.

Some things you may want to know about are:

40 yard run
    track sprints
    track runs
    strength training
    agility
    flexbility
    power training

and so on.
    hi..would you explained to me about mid season program. because basically, the periodization of an annual plan has three major phases: preparatory or pre-season, competitive or season, and transition or off-season. thx

eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50) eagles56 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    sqarqtraining.com and procombinetraining.com are good sites to check out and there are football position-specific drills on nikegridiron.com

Mid-Season training is more of maintaining everything and you have less sessions to try and do this. All workout intensities should be either light or medium. In these workouts focus on doing a few sprints up to 50m and work on everything I mentioned above, don't worry about strength because that should be covered by your coach.

Let me know if you need more help or a workout.

bob94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Mid-Season training is more of maintaining everything and you have less sessions to try and do this. All workout intensities should be either light or medium. In these workouts focus on doing a few sprints up to 50m and work on everything I mentioned above, don't worry about strength because that should be covered by your coach.

Let me know if you need more help or a workout.
    ok. I have to increase my explosive power and speed in soccer.
    1. can I mix both exercise program? or I have to split them? reminding Im only have 3 days/week.
    2. if I mix in 1 session, which one first (speed or power)?
    3. if I split, is it speed in the first day and then power in the second day, then speed again in the next day?

thanks for your kindness.

You can't do speed sessions back to back and if you're playing games and all, I reccomend only 2 speed sessions per week.

Do plyometrics BEFORE your sprints AFTER your warm up. Go trhoguh all kinds of double leg jumps and single leg hops and everything basically.

Sprints should cover:

3x10m
    3x30m
    4x50m

Every sprint at full speed and full recovery in between.

Now how many days per week do you train overall? Because 2 sessions of plyos and speed per week in season is enough, I reccomend just stretching and resting and getting a day off because 3 sessions plus games/practices will quickly lead to overtraining.

hank89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hank89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Soccer aka football

hey bob94 what possition do you play in for soccer
    Set a target. Picture it. Give everything to achieve it.

Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    andrewmul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andrewmul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andrewmul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andrewmul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andrewmul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andrewmul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andrewmul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andrewmul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andrewmul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andrewmul has a spectacular aura about. (+250) andrewmul has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    can you help me, my info is in this post

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2895861
    Strength, size, power and speed arent achievable without dedication, focus and determination.

The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights. - Muhammad Ali

Current Lifts 5/05/08

all for 5 reps

Squat 210lbs (narrow stance atg)
    Deadlift 285lbs
    Bench 170lbs
    Row 150 lbs
    Military Press (standing) 116lbs