Thread: Taking Time Off

Registered User the iron addict's Avatar
    the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000)

Taking Time Off

Taking Time Off

I have rarely spoken with a TRUE veteran trainer, or trainee that didn’t understand the importance of taking periodic breaks from training to let the body (and mind) heal from the onslaughts of training. It is very rare indeed though to find a relatively new trainee that understands the importance of doing so. In fact, to talk to many about this topic, brings to light how TOTALLY OBSESSED many lifters are, but that is a topic for another day.

Many of these guys are totally convinced that they will shrink to nothing if they take a week off, that strength will go down XX% (you name it, I have seen the number-lol) and they will seriously hamper their progress—nothing could be further from the truth. Most people actually come back as strong, or stronger after a week off, and those taking two weeks are usually close to as strong as they were before the break, and some will still come back as strong, or stronger. Yes, after 2-3 weeks, SOME people find a little, and other a significant strength decrease, but it is usually caught back up in a couple weeks. And then the trainee is in much better position to go all out again.

For some people it is needed after about 6 weeks, and for others 8, 10, 12, or even once every 16 weeks is the right time. But if you haven’t taken a week off after 16 weeks of all out training, you are fooling yourself if you think it’s not needed. Are there any ways to avoid this time off? VERY LOW volume work can circumvent the need for some people, as can a very sound intensity cycling format, but for the most part it’s just a necessary part of the game, and if you really think you will lose a big chunk of size and strength during a one week hiatus, you more than likely need to see a sports physcologist-lol.

What should you expect during this time off, and how should it be spent? Well expect that you are mending your body some and will be growing during the time at least a little bit, maybe a lot. That means your diet should not go to hell, and if you are on an extended cycle, you keep your PH, or gear levels at least reasonably close to what they were. Eat good, sleep good, take a break from the mental output needed to go all-out in the gym, and enjoy yourself. You are doing your body a great favor, and it will repay you with increased dividends for your effort-and lack of effort during the time off.

Iron Addict

www.ironaddicts.com

rick65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i agree, the body sometimes needs time to rest and recoup.
    also a break sometime helps u get refoucused on training.
    this also may help avoid injuries.i have found that cycling your
    training with lighter, indemeditae and heavier training with
    keep the gains comming, for example , if u try to max your
    bench every time, often this will lead to negative results.
    train smart and listen to your body. when i feel more fatigued
    i may skip a workout here and there and overall i feel better
    and make more gains.
    train hard , train natural

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

exub will become famous soon enough. (+50) exub will become famous soon enough. (+50) exub will become famous soon enough. (+50) exub will become famous soon enough. (+50) exub will become famous soon enough. (+50) exub will become famous soon enough. (+50) exub will become famous soon enough. (+50) exub will become famous soon enough. (+50) exub will become famous soon enough. (+50) exub will become famous soon enough. (+50) exub will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i took 1 week off the gym and i came back stronger
    chasing the next level....

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    also using loading adn deloading would help...

but agreed breeaks are great especially for the mind...

bet is just really nice. (+1000) bet is just really nice. (+1000) bet is just really nice. (+1000) bet is just really nice. (+1000) bet is just really nice. (+1000) bet is just really nice. (+1000) bet is just really nice. (+1000) bet is just really nice. (+1000) bet is just really nice. (+1000) bet is just really nice. (+1000) bet is just really nice. (+1000)
    interesting read. i can take up to two weeks off and be noticeably stronger in most areas. my partner on the other hand is the opposite. i think its all mental for him though

kalagan is not very helpful. (-500) kalagan is not very helpful. (-500) kalagan is not very helpful. (-500) kalagan is not very helpful. (-500) kalagan is not very helpful. (-500) kalagan is not very helpful. (-500) kalagan is not very helpful. (-500) kalagan is not very helpful. (-500) kalagan is not very helpful. (-500) kalagan is not very helpful. (-500) kalagan is not very helpful. (-500)

Thumbs up

very good subject, i was asking myself the same question this morning !!!

i used to take a week of every 4-6 weeks. the only one thing, is that i consider after one or two weeks off, when you come back to train, the first week you can't "take" heavier as the week before you take the weef off....so can't we consider that this first week is "no-efficient" ....(i hope your understand what i mean..lol....).

GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey great post, infact I am in my one week break right now after workoing out for 7 weeks straight. I was wondering if when i go back to the gym on mon. if i should train a special way or specific way? High reps? Low Reps? Heavy/Light? Etc. Thanks for the advice

GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bump

TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Bump!

d_kid604 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) d_kid604 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bump

R.I.P. Grandma 5/12/07 user178944's Avatar
    user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    bump!

vein5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vein5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vein5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vein5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vein5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vein5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vein5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vein5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vein5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vein5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vein5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    well I have been cutting for 12 weeks and am almost at the point where I want to be. I am eating very good and don't want to stop just yet. what do you suggest. Oh I always believed there is no such thing as overtraining just under nutritioned

vein5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vein5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vein5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vein5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vein5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vein5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vein5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vein5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vein5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vein5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vein5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Also when you take a break can you still do cardio like running b/c I love to go for long runs

run_lola_run is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) run_lola_run is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) run_lola_run is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) run_lola_run is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) run_lola_run is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) run_lola_run is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) run_lola_run is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) run_lola_run is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) run_lola_run is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) run_lola_run is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) run_lola_run is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by vein5 View Post
    Also when you take a break can you still do cardio like running b/c I love to go for long runs

I run a lot and I notice if I take a week break from running I lose a lot of time off my runs. What I do to rest from running is either replace it with other forms of cardio like bike ride or swimming for a week, or do at least one short run during a rest week.

Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by vein5 View Post
    Not trying to knock you, but just because you love it doesn't mean it's ok to do. If you're trying to give your CNS a break, long runs might not be the best thing. That's up to you and your body though.

bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    2.5 year bump
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166936131

Joshua_Barbosa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joshua_Barbosa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joshua_Barbosa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joshua_Barbosa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joshua_Barbosa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joshua_Barbosa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joshua_Barbosa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joshua_Barbosa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joshua_Barbosa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joshua_Barbosa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joshua_Barbosa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Man, taking time off when the body needs it is just as important as lifting to build muscle.
    And man, is it sure hard to actually understand it. I kept lifting even when I knew I was overtraining. I really had to hit rock bottom with my fatigue levels and enjoyment level before I really listened. Now that I'm taking some time off, it is alot more clear on how important taking some time off is, not just physically ....... mentally as well.
    Anything that is achieved of true value, will take time and effort. To be truely successful is my reward, the muslce gained is a benifit included in the ride!

BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I used to look like this:

Then I took a week off and I looked like this guy...

--There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

--Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81

--The proper plural form of the Latin adjective biceps is bicipites, a form not in general English use. Instead, biceps is used in both singular and plural (i.e., when referring to both arms). The form bicep [sic], although common even in professional contexts, is considered incorrect. (from Wikipedia)

InChristAlone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InChristAlone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InChristAlone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InChristAlone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InChristAlone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InChristAlone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InChristAlone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InChristAlone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InChristAlone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InChristAlone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) InChristAlone is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    2 year bump
    I Timothy 4:8 "For bodily exercise profits little: but godliness is profitable to all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come."

B/S/D: 315/405/500