muscleman12345 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) muscleman12345 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) muscleman12345 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) muscleman12345 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) muscleman12345 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) muscleman12345 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) muscleman12345 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) muscleman12345 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) muscleman12345 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) muscleman12345 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) muscleman12345 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

squat stance width

what is the best way to determine your stance width? right now my feet are a little wider then shoulder width and i fold over a good amount aka good morning low bar squat.

if i try to squat any wider i feel it a lot in my hips. should i start squatting wider to see if it would improve my normal stance or maybe even become stronger then my normal stance width?

what would be the difference if i went with a more narrow stance? thanks!

ajc1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ajc1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ajc1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ajc1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ajc1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ajc1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ajc1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ajc1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ajc1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ajc1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ajc1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Typically low-bar stances will be wider with more forward leab, and high-bar will be narrower and more upright.

However, try out different stances/pointing toes straight/slightly out etc and see what works best for you. Everybody's a little bit different so you have to work with what you have.
    1st Meet Results: May 14, 2016
    Bodyweight: 199.3 lbs
    259/187.4/330.7 Total: 777.1 lbs

2nd Meet Results: October 15, 2016
    Bodyweight: 178.6 lbs
    297.6/198.4/352.7 Total: 848.7 lbs

Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000)
    Generally the wider the stance, the more upright you'll be because you are effectively shortening your femurs by going wider. That applies to high bar and low bar. It also decreases the range of motion as well. You also need to factor in hip mobility and the strength of your glutes. Wide stances do require more glute strength and hip mobility.

gettinhench has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettinhench has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettinhench has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettinhench has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettinhench has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettinhench has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettinhench has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettinhench has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettinhench has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettinhench has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gettinhench has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    High bar narrow Low Bar wider
    Stronglifts 5x5 in progress

muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by muscleman12345 View Post
    what is the best way to determine your stance width? right now my feet are a little wider then shoulder width and i fold over a good amount aka good morning low bar squat.

if i try to squat any wider i feel it a lot in my hips. should i start squatting wider to see if it would improve my normal stance or maybe even become stronger then my normal stance width?

whatever feels better
    USMC

Gym PR's
    S-505x2 PB-365x2 D-555x2

Have yet to make the dive into competing.

lifterut will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterut will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterut will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterut will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterut will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterut will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterut will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterut will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterut will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterut will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterut will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Radicalnotions View Post
    Generally the wider the stance, the more upright you'll be because you are effectively shortening your femurs by going wider. That applies to high bar and low bar. It also decreases the range of motion as well. You also need to factor in hip mobility and the strength of your glutes. Wide stances do require more glute strength and hip mobility.
    Don't forget hip anthropometry. Some people just have deep hips, and won't be able to squat as wide. Find the most comfortable leg position needed to hit depth and a back angle you can maintain throughout the lift. Then squat that way, ALOT!

LionsXPride has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    it all depends brother. i have long legs so when I squatted with a narrower stance, it didn't feel right (almost as if i was forcing it) so I squat with a wider than shoulder width stance.

Best way to know what your ideal stance is to stand with your feet shoulder width apart, jump and split your legs. Wherever they land is your ideal squat width. Don't force how far your feet go, just let your body do that portion of the work and trust in it's biomechanics

STeee10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) STeee10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) STeee10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) STeee10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) STeee10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) STeee10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) STeee10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) STeee10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) STeee10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) STeee10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) STeee10 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just start with whatever is the most comfortable and allows you to maintain good technique. Eventually you will figure out what foot position allows you to take advantage of your strengths and levers.

melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000) melvin2345 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by muscleman12345 View Post

This is going to sound weird, but trust me. Stand with your legs together. Clench your butt as hard as you can, then waddle side to side letting your feet come off the ground just a little bit each time. Each time your legs will get a little bit wider. Stop when your legs no longer move any wider without you forcing them. As far as toe angle, once you have that width set, do a slow body squat, but focus on your heels digging in, and let your toes angle out as you pivot on your heels. Not an exact science, but should give you a good place to start from.
    Last Meet:
    April 16, 2016 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfZbWY-FVw0)
    1,443 lbs @ 270 lbs (529.1 squat, 303.1 bench, 611.8 deadlift)

Next Meet:
    August 6, 2016
    GOALS: 1,482 lbs @ 270 lbs (540 squat, 314 bench, 628 deadlift)

kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50) kidkidneys will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by melvin2345 View Post
    This is going to sound weird, but trust me. Stand with your legs together. Clench your butt as hard as you can, then waddle side to side letting your feet come off the ground just a little bit each time. Each time your legs will get a little bit wider. Stop when your legs no longer move any wider without you forcing them. As far as toe angle, once you have that width set, do a slow body squat, but focus on your heels digging in, and let your toes angle out as you pivot on your heels. Not an exact science, but should give you a good place to start from.
    whoa

that ass clenching waddle trick is actually a good idea. just tried it, a few different times just for good and proper scientific research (looking up, not at my feet to make sure my brain wouldnt lend any bias to where I think the feet should be). nailed my "ideal" width every time, pretty much no variation between trials