Registered User JustinStephan89's Avatar
    JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JustinStephan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

squats only working my hamstrings?

I squat with a narrow stance and with alot of depth and recently i only feel sore in the hamstrings and hips and stuff. I feel as if my quads arent involved as much as they should be and im relying on the wrong muscles for the job.What are some quad specific compound movements i can do to strenthen them?
    Powerlifting

ATG S - 370 - 335 x 4
    Bench- 280 - 255 x 3
    Deadlift-460 - 402 x 6
    Total - 1110

Olympic lifting

front squat - 257
    Clean - 242
    squat + Behind the neck jerk - 222
    C + J - 210

Surely U Cant Be Serious? APA Lifter's Avatar
    APA Lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) APA Lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) APA Lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) APA Lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) APA Lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) APA Lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) APA Lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) APA Lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) APA Lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) APA Lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) APA Lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)

Talking

Narrow stance hack squats/front squats kind sir!
    Selling creatine on the streets to support cell tech habit since 2004.

Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000) breathingmurder is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well, what is the point of your squats?
    Do you just want big quads--are you a bodybuilder?
    If you are a powerlifter, as long as your squat keeps going up it should be fine.

If your quads are a weakpoint and are holding back your squats, then you could do front squats, like the poster above suggested.

But you are saying that squats just make your hamstrings sore.
    That's a totally different deal. I can do front squats, back squats, whatever, and not have my quads get sore. Some days I'll do a really heavy squat workout and not get sore, other days I'll do a light squat workout and be barely able to walk the next day.

Soreness has relatively little to do with how well a muscle gets worked. In fact it may be that you just have tight hamstrings that need to be stretched more, and this is to account for most of the soreness.

Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000)
    ^^^ good post!

ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by breathingmurder View Post
    Well, what is the point of your squats?
    Do you just want big quads--are you a bodybuilder?
    If you are a powerlifter, as long as your squat keeps going up it should be fine.

If your quads are a weakpoint and are holding back your squats, then you could do front squats, like the poster above suggested.

But you are saying that squats just make your hamstrings sore.
    That's a totally different deal. I can do front squats, back squats, whatever, and not have my quads get sore. Some days I'll do a really heavy squat workout and not get sore, other days I'll do a light squat workout and be barely able to walk the next day.

Soreness has relatively little to do with how well a muscle gets worked. In fact it may be that you just have tight hamstrings that need to be stretched more, and this is to account for most of the soreness.

thats exactly what happens to me.

Also, your hammies and posterior chain are a much more powerful muscle group than your quads. So using them in the squat are not a bad thing. If you want to hit your quads more, throw some front squats in there. I've found that even though front squats are supposed to put more emphasis on the quads, I'm still using my hammies a good bit because of my style of squatting.
    Training Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142931161

The_Brawler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Brawler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Brawler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Brawler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Brawler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Brawler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Brawler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Brawler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Why is everyone saying that front squats will hit quads harder than back squats. They are basically the same exercise. The only difference is that back squats require more lower back than front squats. Thats it, the ROM on both front and back squats are the same for the legs.

ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by The_Brawler View Post
    Why is everyone saying that front squats will hit quads harder than back squats. They are basically the same exercise. The only difference is that back squats require more lower back than front squats. Thats it, the ROM on both front and back squats are the same for the legs.
    you don't do front squats much do you
    Training Journal:

The_Brawler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Brawler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Brawler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Brawler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Brawler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Brawler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Brawler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The_Brawler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ArchDukeOfTops View Post
    you don't do front squats much do you
    Yes i do them mate. Is that the only response you have?
    Now your probably gona say that your quads feel sore the next day after front squats more than back squats right? Well it doesnt matter. Watch the movement in a front squat. Its identical to a back squat with the only difference being that back squats require that you use more lower back. Thats it.

Yes i do them mate. Is that the only response you have?
    Now your probably gona say that your quads feel sore the next day after front squats more than back squats right? Well it doesnt matter. Watch the movement in a front squat. Its identical to a back squat with the only difference being that back squats require that you use more lower back. Thats it.
    soreness doesn't have **** to do with it. I don't need to watch the movement of the front squat, I do them. Your lower back is HEAVILY involved in front squats. Actually, lower back usually is the first thing to make you miss a front squat.
    Training Journal:

Originally Posted by ArchDukeOfTops View Post
    soreness doesn't have **** to do with it. I don't need to watch the movement of the front squat, I do them. Your lower back is HEAVILY involved in front squats. Actually, lower back usually is the first thing to make you miss a front squat.
    The thread was about the use of quads while doing back squats and ppl suggested front squats. Im arguing that front squats dont target quads any harder than back squats. And you say they do but now your arguing that front squats his the lower back.

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The thread was about the use of quads while doing back squats and ppl suggested front squats. Im arguing that front squats dont target quads any harder than back squats. And you say they do but now your arguing that front squats his the lower back.
    front squats do hit the lower back, you have to keep your core and back straight in the front squat more than the back squat or you'll topple over, however the position of the front squats works the quads more directly than a back squat does.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

Im aware of your breast TheSheepdog's Avatar
    TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheSheepdog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you said that you do them with a narow stance...how about trying something revolutionary different, like going wider or front squats, or throwing in some walking lunges, or pre-exhausting your quads with leg extensions first then squatting or leg pressing...dude, there's about a hundred different things you can do, and everybody is going to feel it a little different, i'm 6'2 with long legs, so if i give you my advice do you think it will work for you???
    ARMY VET, POLICE OFFICER,SHEEPDOG
    ★cVc★

thefight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thefight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thefight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thefight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thefight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thefight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thefight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    heh i wish squats hit my hamstrings more cuz ive been trying to get better hip drive which would improve my squat...so if anything...consider urself lucky

jesus thinks youre a jerk ehlpitel's Avatar
    ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I like that squats hit my hamstrings, helps my drive on deads.

stronglifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) stronglifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) stronglifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) stronglifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) stronglifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) stronglifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) stronglifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) stronglifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) stronglifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) stronglifts is on a distinguished road. (+10) stronglifts is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by JustinStephan89 View Post
    I squat with a narrow stance and with alot of depth and recently i only feel sore in the hamstrings and hips and stuff. I feel as if my quads arent involved as much as they should be and im relying on the wrong muscles for the job.What are some quad specific compound movements i can do to strenthen them?
    switch to front squats - go deep.
    http://stronglifts.com

JoeyCentral JoeyCentral JoeyCentral JoeyCentral JoeyCentral JoeyCentral JoeyCentral JoeyCentral JoeyCentral JoeyCentral JoeyCentral
    Originally Posted by TheSheepdog View Post
    you said that you do them with a narow stance...how about trying something revolutionary different, like going wider or front squats, or throwing in some walking lunges, or pre-exhausting your quads with leg extensions first then squatting or leg pressing...dude, there's about a hundred different things you can do, and everybody is going to feel it a little different, i'm 6'2 with long legs, so if i give you my advice do you think it will work for you???
    Suggesting that he does a chitty isolation exercise to exhaust a muscle group that he needs to use for a heavy compound movement is by far the stupidest advice I've ever heard. Just comes to show how much one gets away with chity training when on anabolics...

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by JoeyCentral View Post
    Suggesting that he does a chitty isolation exercise to exhaust a muscle group that he needs to use for a heavy compound movement is by far the stupidest advice I've ever heard. Just comes to show how much one gets away with chity training when on anabolics...
    You are arguing with 2007

In case anyone else stumbles on this thread: https://www.strongerbyscience.com/ha...for-the-squat/

Registered User Remingtongauge2's Avatar
    Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Remingtongauge2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    stay more upright and thatll hit quads more

Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tor575 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think it's odd that only your hamstrings are sore after doing squats. Your hamstrings should be sore after deadlifting. I never have sore hamstrings after doing squats. Maybe something's off with your form?
    Gym PR's: 500/325/585