Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10)

"Weightlifter's Shoulder" - Distal Clavicle Osteolysis - Resection Surgery

Well guys, I haven't found any concrete evidence on the internet that this surgery works well, but I decided to take one for the team, and go through with this surgery. My problem was this: http://shoulderpaininfo.com/shoulderACOsteolysis.html . This thread is dedicated to documenting my recovery weekly/ daily, or whenever I feel like typing and spilling my guts. It would be really helpful for people to post on this thread to know that someone out there is listening!

A little bit about me - I am a 20 year old, weight lifter/ water polo player who enjoys going out and just working out. I am heavy on the bench press, and this is probably what caused my injury. Also, I love butterfly, so I am sure that didn't help at all.

Surgery occurred on the 10th, and the doctor removed the bandages on the 11th. The surgery was arthroscopic, and went smoothly. I have never had surgery before, and already can note a "watery" feeling between my humeral head and the glenoid. I suppose this is from the extra arthroscopic solution and I know that ligaments around my shoulder were stretched because of the surgery. It's extremely painfully to use my shoulder to move my arm at this point, but I am chugging along. As far as the doctor saw, my shoulder was healthy, just my AC joint was injured. The bump that used to be present on the AC joint is almost totally nonexistent, whereas before it was larger and caused painful popping noises.

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey, I can't comment on your particular surgery...

Be consistent with your therapy but don't push too hard.

I rehabed from spine surgery and it took me the same time to recover back to pre-injury status as it did to go from injury to surgery (over a year!).

Also, realize you will always have some limitation, but smart lifting will allow you to get much of it back.

Good luck!
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Everyday I am getting better. Today is May 3, 2007, and I feel that I am able to have better range of motion with my shoulder without pain. I still feel "air bubbles" or the movement of the arthroscopic fluid within my shoulder. I think it should go away. I am on oxycodone, which is kind of trippy. I'll make another post later tonight.

King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50) King Viscera will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So what did the surgery entail? Did they just shave off a few millimeters from the clavical? Was your long head bicep tendon rubbing the clavical before and becoming inflammed?

The surgery consisted of only shaving off a few millimeters (less than a cm) of bone off my collar bone. Also, bone spurs around the clavicle and Acromium were removed to allow for a space to be between the AC joint. For about six to eight weeks, scar tissue will form between the joint, creating a false joint and stopping the rubbing of bone together, which was causing my initial pain.

It has been five days since the surgery. Today, I have more range of motion than ever. I am still on my pain killers (somewhat used to pass the time) and am taking everything one day at a time. Later, when the weather cools down, I may go for a run. There is tenderness all around the joint area and bruising where they went into my shoulder. I still am limited in my range of motion, however, and there is still pain.

Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by grebnehtor View Post
    Well guys, I haven't found any concrete evidence on the internet that this surgery works well, but I decided to take one for the team, and go through with this surgery. My problem was this: http://shoulderpaininfo.com/shoulderACOsteolysis.html . This thread is dedicated to documenting my recovery weekly/ daily, or whenever I feel like typing and spilling my guts. It would be really helpful for people to post on this thread to know that someone out there is listening!

A little bit about me - I am a 20 year old, weight lifter/ water polo player who enjoys going out and just working out. I am heavy on the bench press, and this is probably what caused my injury. Also, I love butterfly, so I am sure that didn't help at all.

Surgery occurred on the 10th, and the doctor removed the bandages on the 11th. The surgery was arthroscopic, and went smoothly. I have never had surgery before, and already can note a "watery" feeling between my humeral head and the glenoid. I suppose this is from the extra arthroscopic solution and I know that ligaments around my shoulder were stretched because of the surgery. It's extremely painfully to use my shoulder to move my arm at this point, but I am chugging along. As far as the doctor saw, my shoulder was healthy, just my AC joint was injured. The bump that used to be present on the AC joint is almost totally nonexistent, whereas before it was larger and caused painful popping noises.
    I had osteolysis associated with my 3 AC injuries... I was riding the fence on the need for Surgical Intervention... Luckily with time (8 Months) and a Corisone injection that nearly leveled me, I was able to come back to 100%.

And once the Scar tissue issues abated (6 Months) I haven't had any problems with the shoulder since.

It was close though... they told me that more than likely I was going to need the surgery... But I was determined to exhaust all non-surgical options...

In my case I was lucky... As my PCP told me... "You're the luckiest SOB I know."

I've met some people who've had the DC resection, who were back in the weight room... and they've all said the same thing... "My shoulder is stronger than it was before... But it still never has felt right since."

Good Luck Bro!
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

That's really heartening to know that returning is possible! I bet those eight months were killer - I know these next months will be killer for me, but I will push through them, taking heed to my shoulder. I guess any shoulder after surgery wouldn't be the same either, I just really want to get back into the room!

One of my major questions, however, is "how could I let this happen to me?" I know that I probably pushed through too much pain, and this is the reason it is doing what it is doing, but I am still confused. I take extra good care of myself, and am just disheartened that this has happened.

Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    One of my major questions, however, is "how could I let this happen to me?" I know that I probably pushed through too much pain, and this is the reason it is doing what it is doing, but I am still confused. I take extra good care of myself, and am just disheartened that this has happened.
    Through years of Football, Tae Kwon Do, Weightlifting, and a higher likelyhood of joint injury inherited from my mom, I've seen more than my fair share of joint injuries.

Every one of them has just as much of a psychological effect as it does a physical one. And I can tell you that it's totally natural to think "How could I let this happen to me?"

What you have to consider though in all of this...

I've always said that "The biggest changes that come from the BB lifestyle are Mental... It's just the physical ones are easiest to see."

Every injury I've suffered, I've always learned something about myself... I've always come back mentally stronger, which allowed me to become physically stronger...

You're sitting at a point now... A Crossroads in the middle of the journey of your Fitness Adventure...

You can choose the easy path... Sit on your ass watching TV... Feel sorry for yourself, and rot away like all the other couch potatoes...

Or you can choose the more difficult path... You can choose to press on... Not by being foolish and trying to work your shoulder...

But you can spend your normal workout time doing some cardio that doesn't jostle the shoulder... Like the exercise bike... This is a perfect opportunity to do some cutting!

You can also spend your regular training hour, educating yourself... Learning more about your shoulder... Or reading up new routines & research... Or just learning about the biology of the body... Which can help fortify you for the next time... Because the knowledge will armor you against having to say "How did I let this happen to me!"

I'm guessing that if you would have know that it takes at least twice as long for connective tissue to heal and adapt, as it does muscle, you would have altered your training frequency and volume away from the disasterour system that got you injured...

I'm willing to bet there are other such nuggets of information that apply to your squatting... Deads... Calf press... Or whathave you...

Bottom line... You can sit there and try to heal yourself with self pity... Or you can Borrow another one of Nainoa's sayings... "Do your Best... To do what you can."
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

2X-eed is just really nice. (+1000) 2X-eed is just really nice. (+1000) 2X-eed is just really nice. (+1000) 2X-eed is just really nice. (+1000) 2X-eed is just really nice. (+1000) 2X-eed is just really nice. (+1000) 2X-eed is just really nice. (+1000) 2X-eed is just really nice. (+1000) 2X-eed is just really nice. (+1000) 2X-eed is just really nice. (+1000) 2X-eed is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Nainoa View Post
    Through years of Football, Tae Kwon Do, Weightlifting, and a higher likelyhood of joint injury inherited from my mom, I've seen more than my fair share of joint injuries.

Every one of them has just as much of a psychological effect as it does a physical one. And I can tell you that it's totally natural to think "How could I let this happen to me?"

What you have to consider though in all of this...

I've always said that "The biggest changes that come from the BB lifestyle are Mental... It's just the physical ones are easiest to see."

Every injury I've suffered, I've always learned something about myself... I've always come back mentally stronger, which allowed me to become physically stronger...

You're sitting at a point now... A Crossroads in the middle of the journey of your Fitness Adventure...

You can choose the easy path... Sit on your ass watching TV... Feel sorry for yourself, and rot away like all the other couch potatoes...

Or you can choose the more difficult path... You can choose to press on... Not by being foolish and trying to work your shoulder...

But you can spend your normal workout time doing some cardio that doesn't jostle the shoulder... Like the exercise bike... This is a perfect opportunity to do some cutting!

You can also spend your regular training hour, educating yourself... Learning more about your shoulder... Or reading up new routines & research... Or just learning about the biology of the body... Which can help fortify you for the next time... Because the knowledge will armor you against having to say "How did I let this happen to me!"

I'm guessing that if you would have know that it takes at least twice as long for connective tissue to heal and adapt, as it does muscle, you would have altered your training frequency and volume away from the disasterour system that got you injured...

I'm willing to bet there are other such nuggets of information that apply to your squatting... Deads... Calf press... Or whathave you...

Bottom line... You can sit there and try to heal yourself with self pity... Or you can Borrow another one of Nainoa's sayings... "Do your Best... To do what you can."
    Truly inspiring words. Reps for you my friend. I've been out for four months due to a shoulder injury, and I'm contemplating surgery after 3 months of PT and 2 cortisone shots with little to no effect. I've been doing cardio (All I can really do is walk on an incline) and legs, abs, lower back, calves. I'm in the gym 7-10 days a week, trying not to get fat.

I'm doing 2 leg day in which I do legs, abs, lower back and calves. I also do one "odds and ends day" where I do calves, abs, and lower back. Also 5-7 cardio sessions a week. I can't do any upper body stuff. Its sucks so bad. I've lost 25 freakin pounds in 4 months. Depressing.

At least I'm not turning into a fat slob.
    Remember God in prosperity and He will remember you in adversity
    -Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Rule between them by that which Allah revealed to you, and do not follow their vain desires away from the truth (5:48)

How few are the Romans and how numerous are we? 'An army's strength lies not in numbers of men but in Allah's help, and its weakness lies in being forsaken by Allah.
    -Khalid ibn al-Walid

Islamic Alliance- Al-Aqsa Division

Originally Posted by 2X-eed View Post
    Truly inspiring words. Reps for you my friend. I've been out for four months due to a shoulder injury, and I'm contemplating surgery after 3 months of PT and 2 cortisone shots with little to no effect. I've been doing cardio (All I can really do is walk on an incline) and legs, abs, lower back, calves. I'm in the gym 7-10 days a week, trying not to get fat.

I'm doing 2 leg day in which I do legs, abs, lower back and calves. I also do one "odds and ends day" where I do calves, abs, and lower back. Also 5-7 cardio sessions a week. I can't do any upper body stuff. Its sucks so bad. I've lost 25 freakin pounds in 4 months. Depressing.

I hate to tell anyone to turn to the knife for their solutions, because the knife always ensures that it's going to be a life altering change to the joint... But if 4 months, PT and corisone (Which I assume was administered by an Ortho or a Phisio, instead of a retarded GP)... All with no appreciable improvement...

I think you're looking at surgery time...

At the very least, you should get yourself an appointment/consultation with the most highly reccomended shoulder specialist you can get in to see.

Good Luck Bro!
    6'4"

2X-eed is just really nice. (+1000) 2X-eed is just really nice. (+1000) 2X-eed is just really nice. (+1000) 2X-eed is just really nice. (+1000) 2X-eed is just really nice. (+1000) 2X-eed is just really nice. (+1000) 2X-eed is just really nice. (+1000) 2X-eed is just really nice. (+1000) 2X-eed is just really nice. (+1000) 2X-eed is just really nice. (+1000) 2X-eed is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Nainoa View Post
    I hate to tell anyone to turn to the knife for their solutions, because the knife always ensures that it's going to be a life altering change to the joint... But if 4 months, PT and corisone (Which I assume was administered by an Ortho or a Phisio, instead of a retarded GP)... All with no appreciable improvement...

I think you're looking at surgery time...

At the very least, you should get yourself an appointment/consultation with the most highly reccomended shoulder specialist you can get in to see.

Good Luck Bro!
    Thanks bro, I'll keep you guys updated too.
    Remember God in prosperity and He will remember you in adversity
    -Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Rule between them by that which Allah revealed to you, and do not follow their vain desires away from the truth (5:48)

How few are the Romans and how numerous are we? 'An army's strength lies not in numbers of men but in Allah's help, and its weakness lies in being forsaken by Allah.
    -Khalid ibn al-Walid

Islamic Alliance- Al-Aqsa Division

Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    - I know these next months will be killer for me, but I will push through them, taking heed to my shoulder. I guess any shoulder after surgery wouldn't be the same either, I just really want to get back into the room!
    Good luck mate!

Keep us posted on your progress.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter

-Winston Churchill

Well, as everyone well knows about my injury, this involves reparation of the AC joint. I have heard multiple stories from different people, mostly with positive outcomes. I am young and hopefully I will heal fast. I totally agree with not being a slob, I believe that would be a waste of life. This gives me great opportunities to improve my running and cardio activities as well as strengthening my core and lower body. The doctor said three months, and the sports trainer said six to eight weeks, but I'll play it by ear and I'll know for sure that nothing that I am doing is further taxing to my AC Joint.

Originally Posted by 2X-eed View Post

As for the previous poster's problem, I wish them good luck and God speed. It's one of the most difficult and taxing problems that anyone would ever have to endure!

An update to my progress:

The two little scars, and I mean little, are healing just fine. It's phenomenal how they were able to do surgery in such a way. I pretty much am able to move my arm around, but I feel a sharp pain where my AC joint is when the movement puts pressure in the area. I am, today, laying off the oxycotin - It was a good trip, but I need to start biting the bullet and start to realize the pain earlier on. This Thursday will be the one week mark of my doctor's projected "two week full motion block" and I think I am doing well with it so far. I only wore my sling one day for the entire surgery.

On a side note, does anyone know the deal with the shoulder-1 forums? I am not able to join their forum and I was wondering if anyone else had any luck.

Well, it's been about a week, and I pretty much have full range of motion, but still exhibit pain. Hopefully the pain will clear up with one more week.

Well, it's been about a week, and I pretty much have full range of motion, but still exhibit pain. Hopefully the pain will clear up with one more week.
    Nice....

That's got to be ahead of schedule...

Hell after my Cortisone shot, it hurt my shoulder to smile for 4 days afterwards. (There's a ligament that connects to the collarbone that runs through the neck.)
    6'4"

OG of Saginaw, MISChigan lil_how_how's Avatar
    lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had Open Distal Clavicle Resection in August last year. I used lifting to recover and by the time they wanted me to rehab I was feeling pretty good and skipped it so that I could return to work ahead of schedule 3 weeks post surgery I was back to working as Head Chef at a Mongolian BBQ working 12 hour days using 4 pound swords chopping meat and doing tricks.

It was still tender and I was VERY limited for about 3 months after the surgery but I could do what I needed to do.

Now I'm 9 months post surgery and I don't feel limited at all other than the fact I can't do normal bench presses as heavy as I could before the surgery and when I want to do a lot of weight I have to narrow my grip substantially, basically making it a close grip bench press and using my triceps a lot more.

I'm optimistic that I'll get back to where I was before eventually as long as I do normal bench presses with light weight just to strengthen the muscles and I keep building strength with the close grip bench presses.

Things I did about a month post surgery:

Elbows out tricep extensions
    VERY light weight close grip tricep extensions
    dumbell bicep curls
    VERY light upright rows

I stayed away from doing any exercises that directly worked the shoulder for about three months and just worked on strenghteningthe muscles around it to take pressure off of it and let it heal.

I'm rambling here and no one probably cares all too much but hey I feel better having said it.
    Last edited by lil_how_how; 05-17-2007 at 10:25 PM.

Crusher80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crusher80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crusher80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    grebnehtor it looks like you and I are in the same boat. I had a distal clavicle resection on Monday May 7, 2007. You can read all about it in my thread here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2787461

I am brand new here but I plan on posting regulraly. grebnehtor I wish you the best of luck. If you have any questions feel free to get a hold of me.

Take care.

Crusher80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crusher80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crusher80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I did something very stupid. I'm 13 days post op and the last few days I have been doing motions wth the arm that I shouldn't be doing and I even went as far as to try to lift a 30 lbs. dumbbell over my head. And I threw a few punches on the heavy bag. I did these these things to test my shoulder out to see how it feels. And needless to say my shoulder HURTS. I don't mean hurts like I tore something (I know I didn't tear anything)...I mean hurts right in the area where he did the AC joint excision. It feels very irritated and inflammed.

I called my doc and he said that the only thing that I did when I did those things was cause inflammation. He said I in no way permanantly damaged anything and I did not prevent or prolong healing. He said even though doing those things was stupid and foolish, all I did was cause inflammation. He said that it's normal for someone who is only 2 weeks post DCR op to have pain when doing those things (lifting a 30 lbs. dumbbell overhead). He said I need to stop worrying that that I will never heal and I will always have pain. He also said to stop testing the shoulder until I am done with PT and ready to do those kind of exercises.

Do you guys agree with my doctor that I did no permanent damage when I did those things or do you feel I did do permanent damage and I am now permanantly screwed up? Do think my doctor is lying to me (by telling me I'll be fine) and really in his heart he knows I'll be in pain the rest of my life?
    Last edited by Crusher80; 05-19-2007 at 10:33 PM.

I would stop trying to push yourself. Even being 2 weeks post op, that's still alot further away than six weeks. I guess I am just giving my shoulder a chance to heal and you should do the same.

So you don't think I did any permanent damage by using it too soon, right? Do you think I just inflammed it?

Grr287 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A couple years ago, i injured my AC joint playing basketball. All the doc told me to do was to take it easy and rest my shoulder and that it would heal fine. well, all the pain eventually went away. then last year, i really got into weightlifting and i noticed that i could only do bench press with dumbbells b/c the pain was too much with the bar. after doing dumbbell press for several months, it seemed to have healed my shoulder fairly well. I have been able to do regular bench press without any problems for the past 7 months. However, 2 weeks ago...i went for a new max on bench and ever since, my shoulder has been hurting. I took a week off of lifting to let the pain go away. Today, i went back in and did dumbbell bench press without pain....however my shoulder still hurts with certain movements. i noticed, while sleeping, that if i lay on my right side (i injured my left shoulder) and then have my left arm out (perpendicular to my body) that there is intense pain. Also, if i shrug my shoulder and push it upwards there is also intense pain. However, it is only these certain movements that hurt me. I was wondering if any of your guys' symptoms were the same, b/c i don't want to push myself and end up injuring myself severely. thanks for any help guys.

9ine is on a distinguished road. (+10) 9ine is on a distinguished road. (+10) 9ine is on a distinguished road. (+10) 9ine is on a distinguished road. (+10) 9ine is on a distinguished road. (+10) 9ine is on a distinguished road. (+10) 9ine is on a distinguished road. (+10) 9ine is on a distinguished road. (+10) 9ine is on a distinguished road. (+10) 9ine is on a distinguished road. (+10) 9ine is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Grr287 View Post
    A couple years ago, i injured my AC joint playing basketball. All the doc told me to do was to take it easy and rest my shoulder and that it would heal fine. well, all the pain eventually went away. then last year, i really got into weightlifting and i noticed that i could only do bench press with dumbbells b/c the pain was too much with the bar. after doing dumbbell press for several months, it seemed to have healed my shoulder fairly well. I have been able to do regular bench press without any problems for the past 7 months. However, 2 weeks ago...i went for a new max on bench and ever since, my shoulder has been hurting. I took a week off of lifting to let the pain go away. Today, i went back in and did dumbbell bench press without pain....however my shoulder still hurts with certain movements. i noticed, while sleeping, that if i lay on my right side (i injured my left shoulder) and then have my left arm out (perpendicular to my body) that there is intense pain. Also, if i shrug my shoulder and push it upwards there is also intense pain. However, it is only these certain movements that hurt me. I was wondering if any of your guys' symptoms were the same, b/c i don't want to push myself and end up injuring myself severely. thanks for any help guys.
    I am assuming you probably have a type 1 or type 2 AC separation based on your description. The only way for it to heal is by letting it rest. Trying to work through is a no no. You will only worsen your situation. If you have a type 1 or type 2 separation. I would be looking at least 4 weeks out of the gym.

The best thing to do is to schedule an appointment with your doctor and get it x rayed.

Originally Posted by Crusher80 View Post
    So you don't think I did any permanent damage by using it too soon, right? Do you think I just inflammed it?
    You probably just inflamed it. Like myself, you should just rest. Bone takes time to mend itself and become hard again. By pushing yourself directly after surgery is like taking the bone they cut into (your collar bone) and pushing the cut end against the acromium without the scar tissue between the joint. Just rest.

Well here comes the lecture...

I did something very stupid. I'm 13 days post op and the last few days I have been doing motions wth the arm that I shouldn't be doing and I even went as far as to try to lift a 30 lbs. dumbbell over my head. And I threw a few punches on the heavy bag. I did these these things to test my shoulder out to see how it feels. And needless to say my shoulder HURTS. I don't mean hurts like I tore something (I know I didn't tear anything)...I mean hurts right in the area where he did the AC joint excision. It feels very irritated and inflammed.

I called my doc and he said that the only thing that I did when I did those things was cause inflammation. He said I in no way permanantly damaged anything and I did not prevent or prolong healing. He said even though doing those things was stupid and foolish, all I did was cause inflammation. He said that it's normal for someone who is only 2 weeks post DCR op to have pain when doing those things (lifting a 30 lbs. dumbbell overhead). He said I need to stop worrying that that I will never heal and I will always have pain. He also said to stop testing the shoulder until I am done with PT and ready to do those kind of exercises.

Do you guys agree with my doctor that I did no permanent damage when I did those things or do you feel I did do permanent damage and I am now permanantly screwed up? Do think my doctor is lying to me (by telling me I'll be fine) and really in his heart he knows I'll be in pain the rest of my life?

Now look... You're young guy, so you haven't figured this out yet... I can tell You've still got a little of that feeling of immortality left over...

But as you get older and wiser, and continue to do "Dumber than a bag of hammers" retarded bull**** like this; You're going to learn that it's not worth it.

Most likely you did no permanent damage... The shoulder complications that are associated with this type of injury are from repeated stupidity, causing structures to act in an unnatural way until they start to degrade-grind, or deform.

So as it stands, you've got this "Bank" of stupid actions you can do... You don't know how much that Bank will hold until it breaks... And you just put a nice thick $50 in Nickles into the bank.

Keep putting nickles into it like this and eventually the bank will break, you'll be screwed. Then you'll wake up one day as a 50 year old man who's wife is telling the kids "Daddy will be okay" right before you go in for your shoulder replacement... And you'll wish you could go back in time and not be the dumbass you were while you had this injury.

This is a serious injury... A serious operation...

I suggest you note the word "Serious" is involved... Quit F*cking around, do your best to preserve your long term health, and try to learn from this...

Because I guaran-damn-tee you that in the course of the coming years there's going to be even more serious stuff coming your way, and if you F*ck around with those things, it'll cost you, your balls, your bank account and you dignity.
    6'4"

kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow!

I've had the exact surgery that King Viscera made meation of, and this may sound mean, but I'm very excited to come across people that's had the same surgery. They shave off a few millimeters from my clavical. I waited 6 months before having my surgery and in that time I've had 3 cortisone injections, but it never got better. I had my surgery on 2/2/07, and the key is going to PT until you get your full range of motion back. I only went for three weeks because my insurance ran out, but I wish I would've went longer. The strengthing exercises they teach you are important, but nowhere near as valuable as the stretches they put you through. Since my surgery I've been concerned about reinjury so I didn't do any upperbody exercises (except for what I learned in PT) until my doctor cleared me. Also he was sure to tell me not to do any bench presses whether, flat, incline, or decline, dips and military press until cleared. I was cleared in 12 weeks, in which I slowly begin to do these exercises. I'm on my 16th week, and I'm now benching 135lbs, and 115lbs for incline. I still can't do dips, well at lease I'm still too scared to try them, and I've only done military press on the machines. I'm a longtime browser of BB.com, but this is my first time replying to a post. I'm 31yrs old, been working out for 10yrs, and I'm 6'0 225lb. It was hard going the length of time I went with lifting weights, but knowing what I know now I would've waited as long as possible, like Nainoa to avoid surgery. My sugestion to you grebnehtor, and others who has had this surgery is to take your time coming back. And remember range of motion is key as well as ICE, ICE, ICE. Oh and you should wing yourself off the hard stuff after two to three weeks. I still take Motrin and Excedrin back and body every now and then. Oh one more thing. The reason I would totally exhaust all possiblities (3 times) before having surgery is because going into surgery I was told I should be 100% by 12 weeks which wasn't the case, and now I believe I have to live with the occasional stiffness for life.

Grr287 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 9ine View Post
    Trying to work through is a no no. You will only worsen your situation. If you have a type 1 or type 2 separation. I would be looking at least 4 weeks out of the gym.
    that's what I'm afraid of. I've had some really impressive gains this year for weightlifting and have packed on about 10 lbs. of muscle. i work for a roofing and concrete company during the summer, which is very labor intensive and doesn't allow for the best healing. i'm afraid to wait 4 weeks before lifting again b/c i don't want to lose any strength. On the other hand, i guess 4 weeks is better than seriously injuring myself. Do you guys know of any rubber band exercises (or exercises in general) that can strengthen the AC joint? For instance, for those of you that had the surgery, would any of your PT exercises help?

Originally Posted by kchaney View Post
    ...going into surgery I was told I should be 100% by 12 weeks which wasn't the case, and now I believe I have to live with the occasional stiffness for life.
    Yet one more reason why I totally regret having this surgery. It was the worst mistake I ever made in my life. I'm 2 weeks post op and my pain is 100 times worse than it was pre surgery.

Is there anyone here who has had this surgery that has had a somewhat POSITIVE experience with it? Is there a remote chance I will ever be able to lift weights or box PAIN FREE ever again?

kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yet one more reason why I totally regret having this surgery. It was the worst mistake I ever made in my life. I'm 2 weeks post op and my pain is 100 times worse than it was pre surgery.

Is there anyone here who has had this surgery that has had a somewhat POSITIVE experience with it? Is there a remote chance I will ever be able to lift weights or box PAIN FREE ever again?
    Crusher,

I didn't say I don't feel positive about getting back to normal. It's just taking longer than expected.

I have a question to all of the people who have had this surgery and are healed:

Could you throw punches now PAIN FREE with that shoulder? Could you do a boxing workout (heavybag, speed bag, punch mits, etc.) day in and day out PAIN FREE? Could you get in a fight right now and defend yourself PAIN FREE?

...or did this surgery make it where you can't do those things pain free?