Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10)

sorry crusher

Crusher, I would tell you to not give up, but it seems that it's not working for you. Keep trying to figure it out man, I hope this second opinion can figure out what's going on.

Crusher80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crusher80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crusher80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My PT said once I go back to my regular weightlifting routine that I should continue doing scaption side lat raises (hands at 10 and 2 o clock) instead of traditional side lat raises. He said doing scaption side lat raises will be safer for my shoulders and the side delt gets worked just as good as doing traditional side lat raises.

I also noticed that I feel pain right now in the AC joint whenever I try to do traditional side lat raises. However, when I do scaption dumbell raises they don't hurt AT ALL.

So my questions to you are:

1. Is doing scaption side lat raises safer for my shoulders than doing traditional side lat raises?

2. Do scaption side lat raises work the side delts at all? Do they work them as good as traditional side lat raises?

3. Do scaption side lat raises work the supraspinatus at all?

grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Nine Weeks Post Op

Nine weeks - three more projected weeks of recovery - I am raring to get back into the gym.

I have tested my shoulder, I know I shouldn't have. I have no pain, what so ever, doing any pullups, weather it be wide grip, close grip, ect. I was doing inclined bench press with 60 lb. weights, and that produced minimal pain. Flat bench press produced the most pain, and I shouldn't do those until I am fully healed.

The bench press produced lingering pain, so I know I need to wait before I go back.

In general, looking back, this injury has really helped me evaluate myself and really understand who I am as a person. I believe things happen for a reason, and this was meant to be. I also know of worse injuires people have had (I saw a tv show of an olympic skier who almost had is leg amputated after a motorcycle accident but managed to come back and get a silver medal) and I won't let this get me down.

The only limiting aspect of my shoulder is the pain. I will call the surgery a 100% success once the pain is gone. Will the pain go away soon!?!?!?!?

El Pena will become famous soon enough. (+50) El Pena will become famous soon enough. (+50) El Pena will become famous soon enough. (+50) El Pena will become famous soon enough. (+50) El Pena will become famous soon enough. (+50) El Pena will become famous soon enough. (+50) El Pena will become famous soon enough. (+50) El Pena will become famous soon enough. (+50) El Pena will become famous soon enough. (+50) El Pena will become famous soon enough. (+50) El Pena will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Crusher80 View Post
    1. Is doing scaption side lat raises safer for my shoulders than doing traditional side lat raises?

Yes, it is a more natural functional movement than side raises

2. Do scaption side lat raises work the side delts at all? Do they work them as good as traditional side lat raises?

Scaption works the Supraspinatus, Medial Deltoid, and Anterior Deltoid, they will not isolate the medial deltoid as well the traditional raises.

3. Do scaption side lat raises work the supraspinatus at all?

See previous answer
    Answers in bold.
    "The only thing that stands between a man and what he wants from life is often merely the will to try it and the faith to believe that it is possible." - Richard M. DeVos

Workout Journal - http://workout.bodybuilding.com/ElPena/
    Nutrition Journal - http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=El+Pena

10 Weeks Post OP

My shoulder feels great now. I am able to bench 155-185 lbs w/o any pain, and I can do pull ups w/o pain as well. There is still some residual soreness, but as DB runner had said earlier, this probably won't go away until another six months. I can safely say that I am happy I had this surgery.

kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by grebnehtor View Post
    My shoulder feels great now. I am able to bench 155-185 lbs w/o any pain, and I can do pull ups w/o pain as well. There is still some residual soreness, but as DB runner had said earlier, this probably won't go away until another six months. I can safely say that I am happy I had this surgery.

That's great Grebnehtor.

The end of this month will make 6 months post op for me, and I'm currently benching 225lb with no pain. I can do really dips really full and deep with no pain as well. I'm still having trouble with db millitary press, which I only do 35lb with the free weights. I still have some residual soreness as well, but I ice my shoulder down after everywork, which makes it feel better. My non-surgical shoulder is worse than my surgical shoulder, and now I'm wondering how many more miles I'm going to get out of it.

dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Still Here

Glad to see you youngsters are still at it. As it is, I still have a few problems with the Military Dumbbells press as well. I'm back up to about 45's. I was also hung up on the 35's for some time. The top of the Deltoid is obviously still weak from a lock of usage, as well as the trauma. But, it's coming back.

dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbrunner00 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Progress Being Made

Hi Folks,

Just a fast update. Did three sets with 65lb dumbbells at the Inclined Bench Press, today. FELT GREAT!!!! NO PAIN!!! The goal is to be back to a pair of 80's by the end of August. Might actually make it. '-)

Haven't had a chance to play on the Barbell Bench Press, lately. My hours are pretty wierd, so it's almost impossible to get a full time training partner. So, there are a lot of times that I go in and there's really no one around that I would really trust to spot me. That might be a good thing. ;-) Keeps me from doing something stupid. ;-) I've been able to throw several sets at 205lbs. I really don't trust the shoulder enough to go higher, very often, yet.

Getting to be a bear to train, up here. There are so many fires in the North West that the air is getting pretty nasty at times. Hard to be motivated when you can't get enough oxygen. It just kind of takes your energy away after a week or two.

So, how are the rest of you folks progressing?
    Acronial/Clavicular Resectioning 11/23/06, 52 years young and too damned stubborn to lie down and quit.

Chris R. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris R. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris R. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris R. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris R. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris R. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris R. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris R. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris R. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris R. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris R. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a feeling this might be my problem. Ever since going back to the gym, about 90 days, I have had shoulder pain. It's in the front and it hurts like hell. Inclines the bench press and push ups seem to be the deal breakers. The first couple sets are the worse and as I do more the pain gets less but is still there. I just don't go heavy and I have been trying to work around it. It seems to be getting slightly better with time...slightly. Maybe it will heal itself over time???

I hope this works out for you. I recomend you listen to what your doctor has to say about everything and take a break. Sometimes the lightly inflamed joints will heal themselves over time.

11 weeks post operation

Still residual soreness. I have been back into the weightroom, but not on a consistent basis (like I used to). The soreness only comes when I apply pressure to the joint, such as rotating my shoulder forward to compress the joint.

In the gym I have been able to do pullups without any pain (which was better than before). I also am able to do bell inclined press without any pain (70 lbs.). The only two exercises that produce pain are the barbell bench press (185 lbs.) and bell military press (50 lbs.) Sometimes after doing these exercises and moving forward to bicept curls, there will be AC joint pain associated with bicept curls. The pain, I believe, gets less and less as the weeks roll by. The pain, however, really depresses me for it is my only limiting factor. Will it go away?

Registered User Supertransplant's Avatar
    Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Supertransplant has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by grebnehtor View Post
    Well guys, I haven't found any concrete evidence on the internet that this surgery works well, but I decided to take one for the team, and go through with this surgery. My problem was this: http://shoulderpaininfo.com/shoulderACOsteolysis.html . This thread is dedicated to documenting my recovery weekly/ daily, or whenever I feel like typing and spilling my guts. It would be really helpful for people to post on this thread to know that someone out there is listening!

A little bit about me - I am a 20 year old, weight lifter/ water polo player who enjoys going out and just working out. I am heavy on the bench press, and this is probably what caused my injury. Also, I love butterfly, so I am sure that didn't help at all.

Surgery occurred on the 10th, and the doctor removed the bandages on the 11th. The surgery was arthroscopic, and went smoothly. I have never had surgery before, and already can note a "watery" feeling between my humeral head and the glenoid. I suppose this is from the extra arthroscopic solution and I know that ligaments around my shoulder were stretched because of the surgery. It's extremely painfully to use my shoulder to move my arm at this point, but I am chugging along. As far as the doctor saw, my shoulder was healthy, just my AC joint was injured. The bump that used to be present on the AC joint is almost totally nonexistent, whereas before it was larger and caused painful popping noises.
    my ex had the surgery. Itll take time, and itll be painful.

Get the painkillers ready. You wont be able to sleep for a few nights.

But once you're back to normal..... itll be as good as new.
    just lift hard, eat hard.. rest right... **** doesnt happen over night..

Thank you. That's what I like to hear!

GGFB07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Does anyone know, on average, how long it takes for distal clavicle osteolysis to stop?? Is the clavicle as strong or functional as it was before?? And finally, can you cause any further damage by doing upper body excercises that do not aggaravate the shoulder such as bicep curls, tricep pull downs, forearm excercises, and lat pull down(light weight)??

My research shows that it doesn't really go away once it started. That's why I wanted the surgery. I could be mistaken though. Talk to your orthopedist and people who have the symptoms as well.

Nikbruno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nikbruno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nikbruno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey all,

Been nice to read what everyone has to say about the surgery and their experiences with this problem. I have had this injury for about 2 years now but was able to get through it because my shoulders were so strong that the injury remained hidden. I played football in college and just graduated and spent a month travelling and recently started a job with really long hours that has stopped me from working out. Anyway as my muscles weakened this injury came back with a vengeance to the point where I can't really do anything in the weight room or sleep on the shoulder. Saw a doc yesterday and just decided to go ahead with the surgery as I know this problem won't go away now.

A few questions..

What's the level of post-op pain from this surgery ?

How long did it take for you to get back into the weight room ?

Thanks everyone !

Wink

Originally Posted by Nikbruno View Post
    Hey all,

Been nice to read what everyone has to say about the surgery and their experiences with this problem. I have had this injury for about 2 years now but was able to get through it because my shoulders were so strong that the injury remained hidden. I played football in college and just graduated and spent a month travelling and recently started a job with really long hours that has stopped me from working out. Anyway as my muscles weakened this injury came back with a vengeance to the point where I can't really do anything in the weight room or sleep on the shoulder. Saw a doc yesterday and just decided to go ahead with the surgery as I know this problem won't go away now.

A few questions..

What's the level of post-op pain from this surgery ?

How long did it take for you to get back into the weight room ?

Thanks everyone !
    Post Op pain for me required some aspirin for the first two days. After that, it was manageable. It hurt, but I personally don't like taking any medication I don't need. It's uncomfortable for the first three to five days. I just felt stiff after that. I went back to work in two weeks.

No heavy gym work for about 7 to 9 weeks. You've had bone damage. The average healing time for bone damage is 7 to 9 weeks for anyone from 25 to 45. If your Doctor is up to speed, you'll have therapy exercises to do. These will be enough to get a good pump on the injury and keep it from stiffening up. You'll be trying to force the fluids from the inflamation out of the injured area and replacing them with nutrient rich blood. This will speed the healing.

You can still work legs and Abs and have a good time in general. The shoulder will be weak when you get back to it. Anything involving the shoulder will be limited, especially for any type of pushing motion.I ran at about 40% power for some time. The healing came in stages, for me. It took about 26 weeks before I could lift without pain. I had the surgery in November of last year. It still gives me a bit of grief if I push too hard. But, I'm back to about 90% of where I was before the injury.

I was back in the weight room at about week 9. Delt work hurt. However, my placement was such that I could do Cable Press Down and Bicep work, as well as back. Any type of press hurt too bad to push anything meaningful. So, I stuck with the therapy exercises and worked on pumping blood into the injured areas. I wussed out and stuck to 35lb dumbbells on the inclined press for weeks. I was trying for a pump, not growth. Besides, it hurt like Hell. ;-)

I'm now pretty much pain free. I think it was worth it.

14 weeks post op

Sorry for not posting lately. I've been packing for school and been on vacation to California. My shoulder is still doing better each and every day, not to mention that it's still sore at times. I am back to 55 dumb bell military press (still causes a little discomfort) and my bench press is back to my usual consistent press w/o much pain during the exercise. After a hard chest exercise, my shoulder exhibits some soreness during the day which tapers off throughout the night. I have no doubt that I'll be back, or exceed my orginal physical level before my injury, but I am sure I'll have to deal with the pain.

One thing I knotice is the scar tissue that has built up in the bursal area. It's still pretty rough, but my orthopedist says that it will wear away over time. Other than that, everything is fine. My only two worries at this point:

1) Will the pain go away 100%??
    2) Will the scar tissue break down and smooth out over time?

That's it.

bamthin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just responded to another post in this forum about this. In short, I had the left AC joint done almost two years ago and it is as good as new now. I had no hesitation getting the right side done a couple days ago. You may still feel slight traces of the pain in six months, but that pain is no where near what the pain from the untreated joint is. You did the right thing for sure.

Crusher80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crusher80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crusher80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am at 14 weeks post op and my AC joint is still tender to the touch and is still sore. Not as sore as it was, but it is still a little sore.

Is this normal for 14 weeks post op?

Anyone?

Well now I have to bite the bullet and get back to school (Blah...) I went to the gym yesterday and had an excellent workout, the best in a year almost. I am pretty much back to my previous level and don't regret having the surgery. How is everyone else faring?

Nikbruno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nikbruno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nikbruno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Glad to hear you're doing well. I'm having the surgery on Thursday, can't wait actually - I can barrely do a pushup without intense pain in the joint so looking forward to feeling good again.

Did anyone else have a giant lump on the AC joint prior to surgery ? It's my clavicle poking out but the doc says it might mean I have ligament damage as well. Guess I'll find out in a few days !

Dave_PH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hi - I'm having the surgery on 9/10

The Dr says I'll be in a sling for 3 days but what can I expect a week later? will I still be hurting when I drive a car?

Been there

Originally Posted by Dave_PH View Post
    The Dr says I'll be in a sling for 3 days but what can I expect a week later? will I still be hurting when I drive a car?
    Had an Acronial and Clavicular Resectioning in Nov'06. I was out of the sling the next day. But, I couldn't lift my arm, sideways. It took about three to four days before I could move it. Then, I started some of the Therapy stuff. At two weeks, I had full range of motion and went back to work. However, it still hurt and it was weak. I had the work on my left shoulder.

I was back at about 60% within three weeks. However, it took about 26 weeks before the pain was completely gone.

The Doctors normally say that you'll be back to normal activities in about 3 weeks. Keep in mind that Body Building is not considered a "Normal" activity. They mean driving, eating and vegging in front of the TV. I was driving in about 5 days. There was some pain, but not enough to justify any medications.

Make sure you have a good ice pack. Get one that covers the entire shoulder. There are a couple out there that are about 6"X14" that work really well. Mine came with a cloth bag and velcro straps. I could put in place and strap in on. This allowed me to do my work on my laptop without having it slide around. You'll be using the ice pack fairly heavy for the first two months. Then, it will taper off, unless you over do it. Which, of course, we all do. ;-)

I'm now pretty much pain free. The shoulder is still weak, compared to the other one. However, now that the pain is pretty well gone, I'm making some respectable progress.

Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Doughboy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Dave_PH View Post
    I was driving about a week later although I was told to wait 10 days. Honestly I do not remember being in extreme pain afterwards. I did have pain but it was manageable with heavy duty meds

After a few days I stopped the meds, i No longer needed them.

Good luck to you.

Yea I'm going in for the surgery tomorrow, I'm just hping they don't have to do anything else. I'll write back and let everyone know how it goes !

kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yea I'm going in for the surgery tomorrow, I'm just hping they don't have to do anything else. I'll write back and let everyone know how it goes !
    Good luck on your surgery. I'm 7 months post op and I'm totally happy I decided to have my surgery. I'm about 95%, and pretty close to lifting the same amount of weight I was lifting before injuring my Shoulder. My advise to you is to take your time coming back and go to PT for at lease 3 weeks. Oh, and Ice, Ice, Ice.
    A Wiseman once said: "Don't argue with fools, because people from a distance can't tell who's who."

Men lie, Women lie, Numbers don't......

So I had the surgery today and feel pretty good right now although my nerve block is starting to wear off and im beginning to feel the pain so the ******** will be coming in handy !! They gave me a nice ice machine that pumps the ice water constantly through this bladder contraption on my arm, it's great... I'm feelin pretty loopy so I'm gonna go lay down but lookin forawrd to the recovery and feelin normal again like a lot of you guys have recovered.

Smile Aren't We Special???

So I had the surgery today and feel pretty good right now although my nerve block is starting to wear off and im beginning to feel the pain so the ******** will be coming in handy !! They gave me a nice ice machine that pumps the ice water constantly through this bladder contraption on my arm, it's great... I'm feelin pretty loopy so I'm gonna go lay down but lookin forawrd to the recovery and feelin normal again like a lot of you guys have recovered.

A full shoulder flow kit? Aren't we special!! ;-)

I had to use an ice pack. You must have some killer insurance. ;-)

A couple of days and you probably won't be needing the meds.