Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    OG of Saginaw, MISChigan lil_how_how's Avatar
    lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm very happy that I had my surgery. I feel, by far, better now than before I had the surgery. I'd say I'm about 85% back to where I was pre-injury and it's been 8 months since my surgery. I was thinking it'd be about 18 months before I'm back to 100% anyway and that would be fine with me. Hell I gotta lose all this extra weight I gained since the injury anyway so maybe by 18 months I can be totally back to where I was pre-injury.

kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by lil_how_how View Post
    I'm very happy that I had my surgery. I feel, by far, better now than before I had the surgery. I'd say I'm about 85% back to where I was pre-injury and it's been 8 months since my surgery. I was thinking it'd be about 18 months before I'm back to 100% anyway and that would be fine with me. Hell I gotta lose all this extra weight I gained since the injury anyway so maybe by 18 months I can be totally back to where I was pre-injury.
    Have you lifted weights since your surgery? If so around what week did you start back lifting, and what are your limitations up to this point. I'm 16 weeks post-op and started back lifting on week 12 and I can pretty much perform any exercise. I just have to gain my confidence back when it comes to dips and military press. Oh one more question, have you had any set backs. I'm interested in hearing your history since your the first person I've come across that's further along (post Op) than myself.

kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kchaney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Oh there is another exercise I haven't gain enough confidents to do and that's squats with the barbell resting on my shoulders. For now I'm just using the squat machine.

lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50) lil_how_how will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It was about 3 weeks before I started doing light sets again to strengthen the muscles around my shoulder and about 3 months (so yeah about 12 weeks) before I started doing all the movements again.

I still can't load up the bar for bench presses yet but that's getting stronger every week. I've been doing very light bench presses and going heavy on close grip bench presses to help get back to where I was.

I don't think 18 months post op to be back to 100% pre-injury is a bad time table, maybe I'm just more patient than most people.

Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    As I've seen with all my injuries... Knees, Multiple shoulder, ankle, groin, ribs...

You sort of Shoot up to 90%... And then that last stretch from 90 to 100% is the long dog leg of the journey through the injury... And it varries with each different injury...

But I never had anything (That had the ability to come back to 100%) that was longer than 9 months. (Some stuff, like my ankle will never be 100%.)
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

Crusher80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crusher80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crusher80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It was about 3 weeks before I started doing light sets again to strengthen the muscles around my shoulder...
    I'm 2 1/2 weeks post op and there's no way I could even imagine starting lifting right now at 3 weeks post op. The thing that scares me is I'm 2 1/2 weeks post op and I can't even do a front raise MOTION or a pec deck fly MOTION (not even the lifts, just the motion KILLS) without being in extreme pain.

Why is that? Is it because scar tissue has not formed yet where the AC joint was and the two ends of raw bone are rubbing against tisues? How long until the scar tissue forms where the AC joint was nd how long until the raw bone heals?

Is there a chance my doc could've botched my surgery? He looked at the post op xrays and said everything looked good...but I'm starting to wonder.

I deeply regret having this surgery. The pain I have now is 100 times worse than before surgery.
    Last edited by Crusher80; 05-23-2007 at 09:28 AM.

Crusher80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crusher80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Crusher80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    kchaney I sent you a PM did you get it? Here it is again:

Let me ask you this, you've had this surgery (distal clavicle resection)...could you throw punches right now PAIN FREE with that shoulder? Could you do a boxing workout (heavybag, speed bag, punch mits, etc.) right now day in and day out PAIN FREE? Could you get in a fight right now and defend yourself PAIN FREE?

...or did this surgery make it where you can't do those things pain free?

Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Crusher80 View Post
    I'm 2 1/2 weeks post op and there's no way I could even imagine starting lifting right now at 3 weeks post op. The thing that scares me is I'm 2 1/2 weeks post op and I can't even do a front raise MOTION or a pec deck fly MOTION (not even the lifts, just the motion KILLS) without being in extreme pain.

Why is that? Is it because scar tissue has not formed yet where the AC joint was and the two ends of raw bone are rubbing against tisues? How long until the scar tissue forms where the AC joint was nd how long until the raw bone heals?

Is there a chance my doc could've botched my surgery? He looked at the post op xrays and said everything looked good...but I'm starting to wonder.

I deeply regret having this surgery. The pain I have now is 100 times worse than before surgery.

#1. You're getting neurotic about this... You need to calm down and stop focusing on the injury. Like any injury or sicknes it always feels worse when you worry endlessly about it.

Go get laid and have a beer or something...

#2. You currently have no AC joint in that shoulder... Obviously there are going to be some AC related movements you can't do.

#3. Every person is differet, with pain, healing speed etc...
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

walpurgisnacht has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) walpurgisnacht has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) walpurgisnacht has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I saw my doc yesterday and this was diagnosed as the prob with my right shoulder. It came from one incident years ago but it keeps flaring up every time I return to the gym. I've noticed that I can still bench/military press but have to go slower during the reps to minimize the shock to the shoulder.

My question for those who've gotten the surgery is how strong are you post surgery compared with pre-injury? I've been back in the gym for 2 months and my strength is coming back quickly but I don't know how much this injury will hold me back. Are any of you strength addicts who were able to return to pre-injury strength levels or surpass them?

-J
    "And the strong shall devour the meek's reward..." -Wonder Showzen

Originally Posted by Nainoa View Post
    #1. You're getting neurotic about this... You need to calm down and stop focusing on the injury. Like any injury or sicknes it always feels worse when you worry endlessly about it.

Go get laid and have a beer or something...
    That's easy for you to say, you're not the one going through this. I'ts very depressing knowing that I used to be into weightlifting and boxing and now because I had a surgery I should not have gotten I may never be able to do those things again. May 7, 2007 was a mistake getting this surgery.

#2. You currently have no AC joint in that shoulder... Obviously there are going to be some AC related movements you can't do.
    I undestand that bro. My fear is that it will ALWAYS feel like that and I will NEVER be able to do those AC related movements pain free again. I'm at 2 1/2 weeks post surgery and I'm not doing good. How long does it take for the scar issue to form where the AC joint used to be?

#3. Every person is differet, with pain, healing speed etc...
    Again, I understand that bro. My concern isn't WHEN I will get better but IF I will get better. Due to the fact that I feel worse now than I did prior to surgery, I have to say it's not looking good.

Nainoa, I apologize if I sound rude but you have no idea what I've been through with this.
    Last edited by Crusher80; 05-23-2007 at 02:32 PM.

grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well, here is my update. Tomorrow is my two week mark. I still feel pain in my shoulder area, but I have free range of motion. Yesterday I even did a few push ups, just to test, and they went up and down fine. At work (I am a tobacco factory Engineer), while touring the facility my shoulder started to become more painful. I have come over this habit of rubbing the new joint itself, which probably isn't too smart. I still take pain medication to take the pain away, and it works.

One thing I knotice, however, is a popping noise when I raise my arm out and perform a flapping motion. There is a two series pop when I go up and down (*pop*pop*), and when I reach the top and place my bicep against my head I feel the pain in the joint. Is this good or bad?

Another thing I do is rub the joint. In my mind, I think that I'm thinking that pain will magically disappear, but I am wondering if this is a good idea as well?

Anyway, this is my two week update! I have a doctor's appointment this Friday, and I'll post what my doctor tells me.

I'm allergic to prescription pain medications such as Vicodin, they cause me to become violently ill and I vomit uncontrollably because of them and become dizzy. I had to go through this with nothing more than Ibuprofen.

Boy was that fun!

Originally Posted by grebnehtor View Post
    Well, here is my update. Tomorrow is my two week mark. I still feel pain in my shoulder area, but I have free range of motion. Yesterday I even did a few push ups, just to test, and they went up and down fine. At work (I am a tobacco factory Engineer), while touring the facility my shoulder started to become more painful. I have come over this habit of rubbing the new joint itself, which probably isn't too smart. I still take pain medication to take the pain away, and it works.

One thing I knotice, however, is a popping noise when I raise my arm out and perform a flapping motion. There is a two series pop when I go up and down (*pop*pop*), and when I reach the top and place my bicep against my head I feel the pain in the joint. Is this good or bad?

Another thing I do is rub the joint. In my mind, I think that I'm thinking that pain will magically disappear, but I am wondering if this is a good idea as well?

Anyway, this is my two week update! I have a doctor's appointment this Friday, and I'll post what my doctor tells me.
    I had a popping noise at first too. It seemed to go away after about a month. It had me just as freaked out as well.

I also did a lot of rubbing my shoulder as well. I think it was more of a mental comfort than anything, I certainly don't think I did any damage because of it.

I experienced everything you're describing here, it's gotta be normal because I'm mostly fine now.

Don't get too worried guys, after 4 or 5 months you'll be glad you had the surgery when you're virtually pain free and only notice a little soreness now and then. I really do think that you're overanalyzing the situation, just as I did. Just relax and heal up.

Again, I understand that bro. My concern isn't WHEN I will get better but IF I will get better. Due to the fact that I feel worse now than I did prior to surgery, I have to say it's not looking good.

Nainoa, I apologize if I sound rude but you have no idea what I've been through with this.
    I do know what you're going through, I was having the same exact thoughts and I was terrified. After a couple weeks the pain was much worse than prior to the surgery, but it got better. You just got cut open, had muscle groups cut and sewn back together, and had bone removed from your body. It's not gonna feel like roses right away. Now I'm very happy I had the surgery. Just relax, take it slow, and heal up. Stressing yourself out will only impede the healing process and drive you nuts.
    Last edited by lil_how_how; 05-24-2007 at 07:28 AM.

That's easy for you to say, you're not the one going through this. I'ts very depressing knowing that I used to be into weightlifting and boxing and now because I had a surgery I should not have gotten I may never be able to do those things again. May 7, 2007 was a mistake getting this surgery.

Hmmm... Let's look at the Laundry list here shall we...

In the course of 15 years of football, a stint with Kemp, and Tae Kwon Do, and a job I had in a lumber yard... PLUS BBing as a Hobby... I've suffered.

2 Knee Dislocations
    3 Buckles of the knee
    A Grade 3 AC Separation
    A Grade 1 AC Separation
    A Grade 2 AC Separation
    Osteolysis TWICE!
    A ruptured Bursa
    A relocated Bicepetal Tendon & Subsequent tendonitis
    5 Cracked Ribs
    A massive groin tear and Sports hernia
    A life altering testicular injury
    A life altering Ruptured Compartment in my ankle
    Nerve Damage to my right eye
    My Entire left foot turned into hamburger

And enough sprains, strains and tendonitis to sink a ship...

So not to be rude... But at this point I pretty much know exactly how you feel... And I can tell you that being a worry wart won't do **** to help you heal... You have to focus on the positives, and learn what "Patience" really is...

The lesson of patience isn't learned in 6 seconds or six minutes... It's learned in six weeks... Six months, or six years...

Learning how to be injured and to handle the frustrating process is a part of life, and a part of having an athletic career... The sooner you learn that nothing is gained by being a whiny pussy, the better an athletic career you're going to have...

For more info, see my sig.
    6'4"

I'm allergic to prescription pain medications such as Vicodin, they cause me to become violently ill and I vomit uncontrollably because of them and become dizzy. I had to go through this with nothing more than Ibuprofen.

Boy was that fun!
    Damn Bro...

My Mom is the same way... I just watched her tough through an entire knee replacement rehab... Woman was walking with just a rickety cane 9 days post-op.
    6'4"

More than likely the popping is the bone's connecting... They don't have any of the fibrous scar tissue built up as this sort of "Wear and Tear Insulation" yet.

Until you see your doc, to be on the safe side I'd avoid motions that excessively cause the popping...

I know in a shoulder that is not surgically altered that this popping is a prime contributor to inflmation associated complications.

As far as the "Rubbing it in your mind."

This is a good technique...

We all kind of have our own little versions of it...

For me I would imagine all the little parts of my body being like Christmas lights in my mind... Where I was pain free I would imagine a blue light... Where I had pain and discomfort I would imagine a red light.

Then I would close my eyes... Take a deep breath in through my nose... Exhale out my mouth, and focus on turning that light off in mind's eye.

The most important part though is the breathing... Just like how we have a tendency to hold our breath in a tough rep, we also have a tendency to shorten our breath, or hold it, when we feel pain...

This keys the brain up to heighten it's stress level, and releases brain chemicals which sort of "Trick us" into turning up the volume on the pain.

I once had to hike myself 3 miles out of the forest when I buckled my knee, and I swear I'd be a rotting hunk of mushrooms in the forest right now, if I wouldn't have practiced this measured breathing.
    6'4"

grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hmmm... Let's look at the Laundry list here shall we...

In the course of 15 years of football, a stint with Kemp, and Tae Kwon Do, and a job I had in a lumber yard... PLUS BBing as a Hobby... I've suffered.

2 Knee Dislocations
    3 Buckles of the knee
    A Grade 3 AC Separation
    A Grade 1 AC Separation
    A Grade 2 AC Separation
    Osteolysis TWICE!
    A ruptured Bursa
    A relocated Bicepetal Tendon & Subsequent tendonitis
    5 Cracked Ribs
    A massive groin tear and Sports hernia
    A life altering testicular injury
    A life altering Ruptured Compartment in my ankle
    Nerve Damage to my right eye
    My Entire left foot turned into hamburger

And enough sprains, strains and tendonitis to sink a ship...

For more info, see my sig.
    That's rough dude! I am glad that you love the sport enough though because the world needs love.

I'll talk to my orthopedic surgeon about the popping and post his advice.

Until then, I feel like a slob but it's good to take a break from everything. I've knoticed that my sexual drive has increased because I haven't gone to the gym, which is good sort of... I'll post tomorrow.

That's rough dude! I am glad that you love the sport enough though because the world needs love.

I'll talk to my orthopedic surgeon about the popping and post his advice.

Until then, I feel like a slob but it's good to take a break from everything. I've knoticed that my sexual drive has increased because I haven't gone to the gym, which is good sort of... I'll post tomorrow.
    As for your sex drive...

Something I observed and digested over the years...

If you're working out and your sex drive goes lower... Then comes up during a break week (Or whatever layoff) It means that you were to some degree over training, and pushing your body from "The Training Zone" into the "Stress Zone."

When the Body is pushed into a state of stress, it releases cortisol... Which Cortisol is the evil villian carry a sack full of babies and rocks to the near by river, or brain chemicals... One of the things (Amongst a host of many) that cortisol does, is lower your sex drive... Because the words Cortisol and Anabolism go together just as well as the words "Grandfather" and "Handjob."

There is no way that you can combine the two of a positive result.

I've observed that the two earliest signs of over training are reduction in sex drive and shoulder pain...
    Considering this thread... I'd say it's time for you to revaluate the way you see volume.

Now as for the "I feel like a slob."

I wouldn't just use this time to sit on my ass... Just because your shoulder is shut down doesn't mean your entire body is also shut down.

One of the things that comes with an injury lay off, as the days stretch into multiple weeks, is Depression...

The way you stave off depression... Is to keep busy...

When you were healthy, you had an hour of every day (or whatever) set aside as your workout time...

Just because your should is hurt doesn't mean that you just get to sit on your ass....

It's time to hit the bike... Power up your cardio... Do a little cutting... Spend some time reading up about shoulder rehab... Learn about things like HST etc...

So that way when you are back to 100%, you're still physically fit, and mentally educated to be able to come back and hit the weight room like you caught it stealing your Mutha-Fukkin' bike.

I'm tellin' you... 5 months (Or whatever) from now... You sit down on that incline bench for the first time, and the sweat is drizzling down your cut six pack, will feel a hell of a lot better than sitting down and making a grunting sound because your disgusting hump of fat that you call a gut is cutting off your ability to take a big lung full.
    6'4"

As for your sex drive...

Something I observed and digested over the years...

If you're working out and your sex drive goes lower... Then comes up during a break week (Or whatever layoff) It means that you were to some degree over training, and pushing your body from "The Training Zone" into the "Stress Zone."

When the Body is pushed into a state of stress, it releases cortisol... Which Cortisol is the evil villian carry a sack full of babies and rocks to the near by river, or brain chemicals... One of the things (Amongst a host of many) that cortisol does, is lower your sex drive... Because the words Cortisol and Anabolism go together just as well as the words "Grandfather" and "Handjob."

There is no way that you can combine the two of a positive result.

I've observed that the two earliest signs of over training are reduction in sex drive and shoulder pain...
    Considering this thread... I'd say it's time for you to revaluate the way you see volume.

That is terribly interesting! I always find it interesting when a brain chemical can do so much to alter the way someone feels.

Anyway, my doctor was impressed at the rate of my recovery. I showed him that I had full range of motion, and he was excited.

My two main questions:

About the soreness to touch, even after two weeks of surgery, he wasn't surprised that my shoulder was still sore to the touch.

My doctor wasn't surprised that my shoulder still popped when I moved it up and down, and said that it would be like that for a period of time. He commented that patients shoulders will stop popping as healing progresses. Even today, my shoulder is getting better than two days ago (the popping has depleted alot)

The third piece of information is money. ***!!!Crusher!!!***, you really need to read this. The scar tissue needs time to form and heal and harden. This is a monthly process and takes time. He says that people who start out too early with lifting will stretch and ultimately form weaker scar tissue between the joint. Your shoulder needs time to rest and form the material that's absolutely necessary and adapt for your body. This is not to say that your joint isn't permanently messed up, but take some time man and rest.

I commented to him that I posted on online forums about my problem and noted that other people have complained about their surgery not being successful in getting rid of pain. He said that it's not uncommon for more bone to reform between the joint or for him to not get enough bone out from between the joint. My procedure required arthroscopic surgery, and bone fragments floating throughout my shoulder can also form more bone, which is unnatural to the natural structure of the shoulder. I don't know about you guys, but this stuff is terribly interesting!

I asked him if I could return to my original routine (usually three sets of 12 reps at 185 or higher so I can get stronger), and he said he couldn't see why not. I am just going to play everything by ear.

Key points to my visit:
    *I'm doing really well for recovery time
    *I will probably be out of any upper torso training for another two months

Stay positive!

***!!!Crusher!!!***, you really need to read this. The scar tissue needs time to form and heal and harden. This is a monthly process and takes time. He says that people who start out too early with lifting will stretch and ultimately form weaker scar tissue between the joint. Your shoulder needs time to rest and form the material that's absolutely necessary and adapt for your body. This is not to say that your joint isn't permanently messed up, but take some time man and rest.
    So basically what you're saying is that by me using this too early (like I did) I may have permanently messed up my shoulder for good? Is there any light at the end of this long dark tunnell? Will this nightmare ever be over?

It still kills to do a front raise motion or a pec deck fly motion.

I did something very stupid. I'm 13 days post op and the last few days I have been doing motions wth the arm that I shouldn't be doing and I even went as far as to try to lift a 30 lbs. dumbbell over my head. And I threw a few punches on the heavy bag. I did these these things to test my shoulder out to see how it feels. And needless to say my shoulder HURTS. I don't mean hurts like I tore something (I know I didn't tear anything)...I mean hurts right in the area where he did the AC joint excision. It feels very irritated and inflammed.
    This is where you messed up...

This is not to say that your joint isn't permanently messed up, but take some time man and rest.

Stay positive!
    Just take some time to rest.

It still kills to do a front raise motion or a pec deck fly motion.

It will for a while, don't worry yourself too much.

mbsimpso has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool About To Have This Surgery

QUOTE=MBSIMPSO OK I AM ABOUT TO HAVE THIS SURGERY ON THURSDAY!
    IM NOT GOING TO BORE ANYONE WITH HOW THIS CONDITION CAME ABOUT, BUT I AM 30 YRS OLD AND DYING TO GET BACK INTO LIFTING.
    MY DOC HAS LED ME TO BELIEVE THAT THE SLING CAN COME OFF IN ABOUT A FEW DAYS AND THAT I CAN RESUME " NORMAL " ACTIVITY AFTER A WEEK OR SO?
    BASED OFF OF WHAT IM SEEING NOW ON THIS BLOG, I AM BEGINNING TO WONDER.

HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE BEFORE I CAN BEGIN LIFTING AGAIN AFTER THE SURGERY?
    HOW LONG AFTER THE SURGERY WILL IT TAKE FOR THE PAIN TO SUBSIDE?
    WILL I CERTAINLY REQUIRE PHYSICAL THERAPY? DOC SAYS ONLY IF HE FINDS ANOTHER CONDITION THAT IS RELATED TO OSTEOLYSIS?

ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
    I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL THURSDAY SO THAT THIS ANNOYING PAIN IS GONE AND I CAN RESUME MY LIFE AGAIN!

THX

QUOTE=grebnehtor;42152111]Well guys, I haven't found any concrete evidence on the internet that this surgery works well, but I decided to take one for the team, and go through with this surgery. My problem was this: http://shoulderpaininfo.com/shoulderACOsteolysis.html . This thread is dedicated to documenting my recovery weekly/ daily, or whenever I feel like typing and spilling my guts. It would be really helpful for people to post on this thread to know that someone out there is listening!

A little bit about me - I am a 20 year old, weight lifter/ water polo player who enjoys going out and just working out. I am heavy on the bench press, and this is probably what caused my injury. Also, I love butterfly, so I am sure that didn't help at all.

Surgery occurred on the 10th, and the doctor removed the bandages on the 11th. The surgery was arthroscopic, and went smoothly. I have never had surgery before, and already can note a "watery" feeling between my humeral head and the glenoid. I suppose this is from the extra arthroscopic solution and I know that ligaments around my shoulder were stretched because of the surgery. It's extremely painfully to use my shoulder to move my arm at this point, but I am chugging along. As far as the doctor saw, my shoulder was healthy, just my AC joint was injured. The bump that used to be present on the AC joint is almost totally nonexistent, whereas before it was larger and caused painful popping noises.[/QUOTE]

If all works well, it seems to take an average of three months for people to get back into being normal.

mbsimpso has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Contition

In 3 Mos?
    Once That Timeframe Rolls Around, Do U Know If There Are Any Exercises That I Will Have To Completely Stay Away From For Good?

In The Meantime
    Say A Week After The Surgery

Do U Know If It Is Ok To Work Say Biceps And Triceps With Dumbells?

Are There Any Exercises That Are Ok Until I'm Back To 100% That Will Help Eliminate My Man Boobs That Have Developed Over The Last 6 Mos And Help Get My Arms Back Into Shape?

dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Everyday I am getting better. Today is May 3, 2007, and I feel that I am able to have better range of motion with my shoulder without pain. I still feel "air bubbles" or the movement of the arthroscopic fluid within my shoulder. I think it should go away. I am on oxycodone, which is kind of trippy. I'll make another post later tonight.
    yea they gave me that stuff for my shoulder surgery but it made me sick so i switched to vicodin
    "Well I Mean Milk Is Juice From A Cow Right?"

I rep back

MrsOzy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well Crusher.....on Thursday, I'm having my 2nd surgery on my left shoulder. Come to find out, my first surgeon did not shave the bone "all the way up" and now I have to have a repeat surgery. I did return to normal two years after my first surgery, my symptoms returned and worsened. Your body has a great mechanism in forgetting the pain of the first....that's why women have more than one child. You, too, will get through this and be better for it.....just remember that it takes time. Also, your mind plays a VERY important role in your body's recovery. You must remain calm and positive, and follow your dr's instructions!! I understand that you are in more pain than before, but this pain is one where the end result will be better than the unpredictable pain before the surgery. My surgeon explained to me that unlike the hip that is a ball and socket joint, the shoulder is exposed and the clavicle itself is responsible for the mechanism of your whole shoulder as well as the nerves and muscles running through it without any support from a socket.
    Just stay strong and positive.....and I know you will end up better than before!

I had some bad luck. The other day I was working security and did my absolute best to avoid any possible physical scenario. Well sure enough I had to physically restrain someone to stop them from assaulting a female staff member. Could not be avoided at all. I had to wrestle around and it lasted a couple of minutes. Immediately thereafter I felt my AC joint was EXTREMELY SORE AND INFLAMMED. Right after the incident I took the day off and went right to my doctor. He said all I probably did was cause the AC joint to become inflammed. He doesn't think I did any permanent damage and he doesn't think I did anything that will prevent me from returning to weightlifting or boxing one day. In fact he said there is no way I could've done permanent damage because he didn't repair anything when he did the last surgery. He said the reason why it was inflammed is because I used the arm very aggressively too soon (only 3 weeks post op). He said at this time there is no scar tissue present where the excised AC joint was so therefore the raw bone is rubbing up against the acromion with no cushioning in between. Also there is still raw bone there from where he cut.
    He said it takes a couple months for that scar tissue to form.

Is my doc right...Did I just irritate and inflame it, or do you guys think I did permanent damage? What do you think?
    Last edited by Crusher80; 05-29-2007 at 09:06 PM.

Not sure crusher - How is your range of motion these days?

lcamino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lcamino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lcamino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lcamino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lcamino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lcamino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lcamino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lcamino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lcamino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lcamino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lcamino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

13 years after.

I had my clavicle resectioned after multiple ac seperations. They took off upwards of an inch. In my case, I was back in the gym within about a month. Over time the front of my delt actually elongated a little to take the pressure off the joint. I lost a little range of motion, but was eventually able to return to competitive rugby and judo. They say I am in the 99th percentile in terms of positve result from the surgery. Before the surgery, I could not raise my arm above 90 degrees. They had to scoop out all the calcified ligaments beneath the clavicle. If you have to have a surgery this one isn't so bad. Be smart about coming back to the gym and pushing it too hard. Listen to the body, it will tell you how much is too much.
    Now unfortunately, I am trying to hold off a neck surgery because of a bulging disk, bone spurs and pinched nerve.