Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
    Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500)
    You should take cissus quadrangularis, it increases bone formation and collagen synthesis

Registered User c r a z y r a y's Avatar
    c r a z y r a y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) c r a z y r a y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) c r a z y r a y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) c r a z y r a y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Question for those who have had the surgery....

When doing the RXed stretches/exercises on my shoulder, at times I will get a click right on the top of my AC joint.

Scar tissue? NO pain, just a click...

Sport_1st has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sport_1st has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sport_1st has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by c r a z y r a y View Post

When doing the RXed stretches/exercises on my shoulder, at times I will get a click right on the top of my AC joint.

My shoulders were pretty clicky already but I didn't experience anything different. Although my surgeon told me that it is common after this surgery and is just the bones and ligaments sorting out their new positions as well as trapped nitrogen (like the click you get from 'popping' your knuckles).
    "As you live, so you are. As you believe, so you become."

Registered User Thebballchamp45's Avatar
    Thebballchamp45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thebballchamp45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thebballchamp45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thebballchamp45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thebballchamp45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thebballchamp45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thebballchamp45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thebballchamp45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thebballchamp45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Thebballchamp45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had arthoscopic surgery to clean up my shoulder and they shaved off a few cm from my clavicle and got rid of the bone spurs. It has been a little over a month and I have been doing PT and just started doing light lifting. When benching it no longer hurts around my biceps tendon like it had before but it kills along the top of my shoulder in the area where neck meets shoulder. Any idea whats going on and how to correct it. Thanks a ton.

It wasn't major shoulder surgery and it was only an expected 4-6 week recovery

marius1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) marius1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) marius1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) marius1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) marius1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) marius1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) marius1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) marius1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) marius1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) marius1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) marius1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Thebballchamp45 View Post
    I had arthoscopic surgery to clean up my shoulder and they shaved off a few cm from my clavicle and got rid of the bone spurs. It has been a little over a month and I have been doing PT and just started doing light lifting. When benching it no longer hurts around my biceps tendon like it had before but it kills along the top of my shoulder in the area where neck meets shoulder. Any idea whats going on and how to correct it. Thanks a ton.

It wasn't major shoulder surgery and it was only an expected 4-6 week recovery
    Looks like you had the resection ("mumford") done like I did, except I also had subacromial decompression done as well. I have the exact same pain you describe when I bench. Trust me it does get better. I'm about 10 weeks post surgery.

marius1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) marius1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) marius1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) marius1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) marius1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) marius1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) marius1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) marius1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) marius1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) marius1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) marius1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by c r a z y r a y View Post

It's normal. I still get clicks but less than before.

c r a z y r a y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) c r a z y r a y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) c r a z y r a y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) c r a z y r a y has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    tommmorow will be 3 weeks since surgery.

had a breakthrough today. last few days i've been rehabbing, i've been somewhat "stuck" with getting the arm overhead (due to where they came in arthroscopically through the front delt). prob 3 days where i saw no progress.

then today after stretching i was able to get my arm overhead. the climbing-the-wall exercise with your fingers is GREAT and ive been doing it NON-stop.

getting a shirt on overhead is ALMOST pain free.

in terms of working out, i've been doing mid-weight below shoulder exercises with no pain. i can do pec-dec with ZERO pain, and tonight feeling good, i did some NARROW grip pullups with no pain.

i attribute my fast recovery to: my age, my clean diet, the lack of booze, rehabbing on my own 2x a day, and my surgeon being one of the best in the country.

i listen to my body and NEVER push into pain. i'm EXTREMELY stoked where i am only 3 weeks out... and hope to continue the pace i'm at.

i just also wanted to comment to a few posts early in this thread about "shoulder feeling different" post surgery, etc.... i don't know how bad people had the condition prior to surgery, but i had it BAD. the pain and stiffness was unbareble. i can't even REMEMBER what my shoulder was like healthy because i've dealt with it since last april. but this being said, even in the training i'm doing now, i feel NO difference in my shoulders.

if anyone has any questions, i'll try to do my best to answer... if not i'll be checking back in in a week

congrats on your amazing progress crazyray!

today is exactly 4 weeks since surgery... time for the update.

first of all, a quick story to laugh at.

since i despise doing straight cardio, and rather do circuit/interval crossfit type training, i've developed a core/cardio day. it consists of rounds of: 10 situps, 10 back extensions, 10 box jumps, 10 leg raises, and sprinting for 90 second intervals. been going it the past 2 weeks instead of straight cardio. last night i was probably 8 rounds in, and during a box jump came short and gouged my shin. 14 stitches later! i haven't been in a hospital in years, and i end up being there twice in a month. go figure...

anyway onto the shoulder. i'm now finally able to get my arm above my head in the mornings without stretching it. again, i've been rehabbing on my own due to insurance not covering PT. so i've done a mix of passive and agressive stretches, and different rehab exercises. "climbing the wall" being the most important (as those who have had shoulder surgery know what i mean). still haven't tried any pressing work. i've done a rep or two with the bench bar just to feel how the joint feels, and there's enough soreness (combined with my paranoia) to not even play with it.

quick question for people here who have had shoulder surgery. what did you do to get back the flexability and rehab where they went through your side dealt. i've done arm swings and circles, and also hip to sky stuff, but my side delt and trap still are pretty jammed up. any tips or tricks to make this move faster?

bajeter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

scapular winging

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EALJEqgPJPQ

I have had this scapular winging issue for quite some time now. It obviously creates a lack of stabilization and therefore I have trouble gaining upper body strength. So, now that have been trying to bulk, I am not putting on the size I want because there is a "lack of foundation". I am not sure if there is damage to the thoracic nerve. This will cause weak/underdeveloped serratus anterior muscles, hence the winging of the scapula. I am hoping it is something I can "fix" on my own. My next stop is a neurologist. Can anyone offer some insight?

Black30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey everyone in need of some advise. Spent the last couple days reading every post on this thread after being diagnosed with osteolysis. A little background info... I am an 18 yr old senior in high school and a four sport athlete and lifter. I am playing football next year in college and training for an all star game in the summer. About four weeks ago i was lifting and doing heavy sets of hang cleans and shoulders were a little sore after the workout but not too unusual. Couple days later i was again working out when i developed a pain in my right shoulder doing bench and DB military press. Went to the chiro to have him look at it quick and he thought it was just a mild AC separation and the PT i saw later agreed. Well three weeks later the pain continued so i had an x-ray and MRI and low and behold I have ODC. Doc did not recommend surgery yet and to rest to see if the pain would go away since I am young and caught it early. So i decided to do some research and came across this thread and read everyones experiences.

I am debating whether to have the surgery asap, recover, and try to be healthy enough for the start of football in the fall although i would be behind. Or i could rest, and if the pain is tolerable lift through the spring and summer and play football then have the operation after football and recover during the off season.

If anyone has some thought input, please share.

Originally Posted by Black30 View Post
    Hey everyone in need of some advise. Spent the last couple days reading every post on this thread after being diagnosed with osteolysis. A little background info... I am an 18 yr old senior in high school and a four sport athlete and lifter. I am playing football next year in college and training for an all star game in the summer. About four weeks ago i was lifting and doing heavy sets of hang cleans and shoulders were a little sore after the workout but not too unusual. Couple days later i was again working out when i developed a pain in my right shoulder doing bench and DB military press. Went to the chiro to have him look at it quick and he thought it was just a mild AC separation and the PT i saw later agreed. Well three weeks later the pain continued so i had an x-ray and MRI and low and behold I have ODC. Doc did not recommend surgery yet and to rest to see if the pain would go away since I am young and caught it early. So i decided to do some research and came across this thread and read everyones experiences.

I am debating whether to have the surgery asap, recover, and try to be healthy enough for the start of football in the fall although i would be behind. Or i could rest, and if the pain is tolerable lift through the spring and summer and play football then have the operation after football and recover during the off season.

If anyone has some thought input, please share.
    12 weeks of recovery and you should be fine. So if you had it done March 1, you should be ready for summer workouts.

Honestly, if you ever want to train at the level you are accustom to, more then likely its worth it to get the surgery....

grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    That was exactly my thought process. My shoulder is like it was before, and even better. The whole surgery experience has still tattooed itself to my brain, and I am glad it did. In my experience, it was good to get the surgery.

Good to see you on the check in greb... one of the pioneers of this thread.

Anyway, 5+ weeks here.

Have some soreness and tightness, especially when making chicken wing type side raises, with this comes the crunch when raising arm to sky/climbing the wall. Also, seems like my shoulder is still pretty hunched up, as it sits higher then the right shoulder (i'm guessing this is from the trap being tight still).

If anything the shoulder just feels strange. That's the best way to describe it, and i'm guessing those who have had the surgery know what i'm talking about..

Other then that, things seem to be going pretty well. I CANNOT stress enough how people should NOT do things that cause pain. I've been sticking to it, and once in a while i'll try a rep of an exercise to see how it feels, and if I feel anything I stop.

I've done some pushups, and the left shoulder feels weak and there is so uncomfort, but no real pain. Did 95 pound dumbell barbell bench, flat bench DB 1 arm press with 50 pound dumbells.... with no pain. Also did 275x8 deadlift, shoulder felt stable while pulling that weight.

Will continue to update... right side feels pretty good lately, the bone spur came up on the XRAY, but it was nowhere as bad as the left shoulder, and the doc thinks may be fine....
    Last edited by c r a z y r a y; 02-28-2009 at 10:10 PM.

Likquid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

advice? is this surgery your speaking of also reffered to as a mumford procedure?

Im 23 years old.. i have been battling this AC joint thing since i was about 19.. i seems that im stuck in this cycle of recurring injury in my shoulder.. I'm 5'10" 160Lbs. basically everytime i get my bench up to 200lbs(10reps).. my shoulder starts bothering me and i gotta quit working chest for about 2 and 1/2 weeks.. then i will be back benchin 175(10reps) without any issues.. i am at the point where i simply won't go above 175 because its not worth it.. this sux! I use to be 165Lbs throwing up 245(5reps) on bench.. I'm certain i need a Mumford procedure to fix this but my doc says its not serious enough that a surgeon would operate on me.. WTF! My health insurance runs out when i am 25 so its now or never the way i see it..

any advice anyone can offer me..?? I'm dying to be able to max out on bench again.. and its getting to the point where my back arms and legs are getting rather big(not proportional to my chest) eeerrrrrrrrr....... this is so frustrating!

Quigs10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what's up guys....haven't posted in awhile, but have been checking in to see the progress of everyone. To update: I'm 40 and had the Mumford surgery (Dr took 1/2 inch off of the clavicle) along with some bone spurs cleared away and one of the bones "shaved" or reshaped inside to better accommodate the space in there on Dec 22.

Crazyray: good to hear you're getting over that 4-6 week hump. I was REALLY frustrated right around that time because I still had a lot of pain. I know exactly what you mean by it feeling "bunched" or "crunched up" inside the joint.

But, right around that time the interior pain I had in the front of the deltoid and rotator started to dissipate. I remember the day when it finally felt "free" in moving it around.

Now, I'm about 10 weeks post op and I have been able to do some med. machine bench exercises (no free bar bench yet). I've also been able to do some light fly's and have stepped up my shoulder rehab.

The biggest test for me was putting on tire chains when we went to the snow down here in So. Cal. It hurt a bit but I was able to get under the truck and use the arm.

I still have some discomfort in the front delt, but mostly it's the rotator that bothers me after a workout or hard rehab or lifting something too quickly at home. It's more of a signal to me to back off a bit still.

I still ice it and take a couple anti-inflammatory and I think it should come back pretty strong (maybe not 100% of where I was) in the next 2 months.
    Last edited by Quigs10; 03-07-2009 at 10:23 PM.

Good to see all is goin well Quigs, I actually did squats today (only 135), but it was the first time i could hold the weight back there.

Will update later in week.

Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Likquid View Post
    Im 23 years old.. i have been battling this AC joint thing since i was about 19.. i seems that im stuck in this cycle of recurring injury in my shoulder.. I'm 5'10" 160Lbs. basically everytime i get my bench up to 200lbs(10reps).. my shoulder starts bothering me and i gotta quit working chest for about 2 and 1/2 weeks.. then i will be back benchin 175(10reps) without any issues.. i am at the point where i simply won't go above 175 because its not worth it.. this sux! I use to be 165Lbs throwing up 245(5reps) on bench.. I'm certain i need a Mumford procedure to fix this but my doc says its not serious enough that a surgeon would operate on me.. WTF! My health insurance runs out when i am 25 so its now or never the way i see it..

any advice anyone can offer me..?? I'm dying to be able to max out on bench again.. and its getting to the point where my back arms and legs are getting rather big(not proportional to my chest) eeerrrrrrrrr....... this is so frustrating!
    Quit doing flat bench. Maybe use your insurance and get your doc to prescribe PT
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter

-Winston Churchill

hit chest today.

incline dumbells press maxed at 65x5 (max previous was usually 85-90x6) with NO pain

unbelievably elated right now...

grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10) grebnehtor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Impressive, although I think you should take it easy. I know what you mean when you say your shoulder feels weird. It will feel this way for a while. I still rub my shoulder on a daily basis because of this feeling. I am always prone to thinking my shoulder will return to that same, horrible point it was before. Before you know it, you won't always need to take it easy.

Here is an amazing website which outlines common shoulder surgery practice procedures:

http://www.shouldersurgeon.com/inter...lder/index.htm

This would be good to watch before you have your surgery so you can better orient yourself to what's actually being done to your shoulder. The more questions you have for your surgeon, the better, so don't hesitate to fill their ears with them.

ogrexx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Howdy all. Newbie here... came by this thread via our friends at Google. I'm not asking any specific quesitons but if, after reading my story, anyone has any advice - I'd certainly welcome it.

Me: 30 yo former high school athelete with no (memorable) injuries to the upper body. Got back into lifting about 2 years ago and started slow, smart without any major issues. 6'2", 255lbs. Before pain bench was up to 315lbs, although my working weight was typically only 220-240.

About six months ago I started having shoulder pain... nothing major so I laid off it for a while. Assumed possible RC strain so bought some resistance bands and worked on strengthening the little bits. Things seemed to get better.

Normal story, one day the pain came back... I pushed through. Sleeping on that side was painful... so I switched sides and went on. Finally I thought I'd just give it some serious time off so I stopped all serious benching and gave it about 2 months off. Pain was still there when I went back.

Besides the uncomfortable "popping" and the feeling that something was "slipping" on occasion when doing everyday activities (playing Wii-tennis with my wife was particularly unnerving)... I had no complaints in my every day life.

GP, massage therapists, etc. all put me through the normal gambit of RC tests, and all said "well that looks OK... just give it some time". Eventually I got an ultrasound which revealed some widening of the AC joint. On that I went to see a sports doc, who ordered an xray.

Xray showed mild osteolysis of the distal clavicle. The doc described it as a bit "moth-eaten". Her solution: stop doing any bench press, and if the pain gets too bad we can excise that end of the clavicle. Not really the most helpful medical advice I've ever received... but that's where I was left.

I've been working with a trusted friend (physio) to correct some lifetime posture issues that I'm sure of exacerbated the problem, and improve the surrounding musculature to pull the shoulder blade on that side into a better position. I have a tendency to roll my right shoulder forward due to too much computer work, one-shoulder bag carrying, etc.

In all my reading over the last couple of weeks, I can't seem to find anyone that has a good understanding of what causes the osteolysis to occur. It's certainly counter-intuitive to my understanding of the body. There seems to be some belief that nerve damage and/or contrained blood flow to the joint area can contribute to the bone loss, but no one is certain. After reading that I did have a realization that I've had "twitchy-shoulder" on that side over the last 6-8 months. For example I'd be sitting around the house on a Saturday afternoon and my anterior deltoid (or another small bit down the side of my arm) would just start twitching on/off for 5+ minutes. I'm probably just fishing for clues...

Anyway, I'm now going to consider some acupuncture, and continue to work on the shoulder placement as directed by my physio. I've stopped going all "pushing" work on the upper body and have been hesitant to deadlift, dumbbell row, etc. Although those exercises haven't caused any specific pain, I've just become paranoid. I continue to squat and do cardio.

Anyway - I'm slowing making my way through every page of this thread. I hope to gain some insight by reading your experiences, and hope that I haven't let this go too far already.

Cheers.

Originally Posted by ogrexx View Post
    Howdy all. Newbie here... came by this thread via our friends at Google. I'm not asking any specific quesitons but if, after reading my story, anyone has any advice - I'd certainly welcome it.

Me: 30 yo former high school athelete with no (memorable) injuries to the upper body. Got back into lifting about 2 years ago and started slow, smart without any major issues. 6'2", 255lbs. Before pain bench was up to 315lbs, although my working weight was typically only 220-240.

About six months ago I started having shoulder pain... nothing major so I laid off it for a while. Assumed possible RC strain so bought some resistance bands and worked on strengthening the little bits. Things seemed to get better.

Normal story, one day the pain came back... I pushed through. Sleeping on that side was painful... so I switched sides and went on. Finally I thought I'd just give it some serious time off so I stopped all serious benching and gave it about 2 months off. Pain was still there when I went back.

Besides the uncomfortable "popping" and the feeling that something was "slipping" on occasion when doing everyday activities (playing Wii-tennis with my wife was particularly unnerving)... I had no complaints in my every day life.

GP, massage therapists, etc. all put me through the normal gambit of RC tests, and all said "well that looks OK... just give it some time". Eventually I got an ultrasound which revealed some widening of the AC joint. On that I went to see a sports doc, who ordered an xray.

Xray showed mild osteolysis of the distal clavicle. The doc described it as a bit "moth-eaten". Her solution: stop doing any bench press, and if the pain gets too bad we can excise that end of the clavicle. Not really the most helpful medical advice I've ever received... but that's where I was left.

I've been working with a trusted friend (physio) to correct some lifetime posture issues that I'm sure of exacerbated the problem, and improve the surrounding musculature to pull the shoulder blade on that side into a better position. I have a tendency to roll my right shoulder forward due to too much computer work, one-shoulder bag carrying, etc.

In all my reading over the last couple of weeks, I can't seem to find anyone that has a good understanding of what causes the osteolysis to occur. It's certainly counter-intuitive to my understanding of the body. There seems to be some belief that nerve damage and/or contrained blood flow to the joint area can contribute to the bone loss, but no one is certain. After reading that I did have a realization that I've had "twitchy-shoulder" on that side over the last 6-8 months. For example I'd be sitting around the house on a Saturday afternoon and my anterior deltoid (or another small bit down the side of my arm) would just start twitching on/off for 5+ minutes. I'm probably just fishing for clues...

Anyway, I'm now going to consider some acupuncture, and continue to work on the shoulder placement as directed by my physio. I've stopped going all "pushing" work on the upper body and have been hesitant to deadlift, dumbbell row, etc. Although those exercises haven't caused any specific pain, I've just become paranoid. I continue to squat and do cardio.

Anyway - I'm slowing making my way through every page of this thread. I hope to gain some insight by reading your experiences, and hope that I haven't let this go too far already.

Cheers.
    You will learn ALL you ever wanted to know by reading through this full thread. I can guarantee you that.

ogrexx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi again everyone... I spent the weekend reading through this entire thread, and there's lots of good info to be found buried amongst the fair amount of repetition. See my original post 2 above.

Here's where I stand. I don't want to get the surgery, but it's something I'll consider in the future. For now I'm icing, eating healthy, taking lots of fish oil, working on posture, etc. I'm going to follow-up with acupuncture, but that's a separate discussion.

I'm also squatting, doing heaps of cardio, and working on smaller exercises like:

1) scaption raises (using 0.5 kg plates in each hand)... and

2) Dumbbell Incline Shoulder raises for my Serratus Anterior (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...lderRaise.html) using VERY light weight. Once I get the dumbbells into position there is no pain or discomfort in the actual motion.

What I'm still unclear on is what else I can safely do. I'm past the jittery phase where I need to be pushing myself and testing myself... but I want to make good use of my time.

What is the consensus on:

1) deadlifts

2) dumbbell bent-over rows

Neither of these exercises cause me pain, but I don't want to inadvertently cause more problems.

Again, any input/advice is appreciated.

InSpiritedOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My experience with Osteolysis

Hey everyone,

I just spent the last couple days reading through this thread and I have gained some valuable insight into this injury through everyone's posted experiences, which I sincerely appreciate!! It's my turn to add some valuable information through providing my experience. I have been battling ODC since 2005. I believe that I originally caused the problem as many of you did with excessive pushing work outs (i.e. - Bench press, military press etc.). I also happen to have a history of brachial plexus related strains in my neck (particularly c5 and c6 nerves, I have had multiple stingers..one pretty serious one that lasted months). I was a collegiate wrestler and my body has taken some pretty serious beatings through out the years (I am now 27 years old and feel a little bit like an old man). I have had two meniscal surgeries on my right knee as well as a bankhart repair/capsular shift on my right shoulder for instability and a RC tear (not to mention many other non surgical related injuries that required healing). My diagnosis was made by an orthopedic surgeon who happens to be an ex wrestler and collegiate athlete. He is really good and works with the local athletic community regularly. The diagnosis itself was made via X-ray and he immediately identified the problem. He informed me that it will probably take 6 months or so for the problem to work itself out. I was glad to hear that he did not recommend surgery as my experiences with surgery have not been too great (only one of the three surgeries I have had can I truly say that I was happy with and it was on my knee and not my shoulder). My symptoms for the ODC were pretty intense....I couldn't do nearly any pressing exercises (liiterally only swiss ball push ups were bearable enough to get any amount of blood flowing through my chest and even those hurt). However, long story short it DID GO AWAY MOSTLY! However, because I am hard headed and push through pain like everyone else, plus I am also a bit of a slow healer it actually took me close to a year to be able to start pushing myself hard in the gym again! Yes, close to a year of only swiss ball push ups (I could do most back exercises just fine ...although I still lost about 15 lbs do this injury). I can now do a lot more than what I used to since the onset of the ODC. However, I can't do barbell pressing or dips with out significant discomfort. Therefore, I stick to dumbell presses, machine related presses, push ups etc. You will eventually get better but never to the level you were before the Osteolysis started. For me it always seems to stick around just enough to be uncomfortable and a friendly reminder that I need to be really cautious.

The reason I came across this thread is that I am now starting to feel it in my opposite shoulder and starting to get symptoms similar to what I experienced before the onset really hit hard on my opposite side. Seeing that an average healing time via this string seems to be about 6 months for 90% recovery I may consider having two DCR's (one on both sides back to back). However, trust me I would be doing this full well knowing there are risks that it won't work. I can attest to that from my past. However, it took my ODC a year to subside when it became really awful the first go round I had with it, so it might be a calculated risk worth taking for me. My bankhart repair on my right shoulder took well over a year until I felt about 80%. I couldn't push hard for probably 18 months...sometimes I wonder whether or not I would have healed better just taking a year off and letting my body try and take care of it on its own. These shoulder problems are extremely frustrating to say the least. I could easily write a 20 pages essay for everyone to read through with other symptoms I experienced, strategies I implemented to mitigate the pain (prolotherapy, chiropractic care, glucosamine/chondroitin/MsM, posture, muscular imbalances etc.) but I think that would be a little excessive. Nonetheless, I am willing to share more if anyone would like my other experiences. Good luck to everyone...I'm hoping to not have to join the DCR crew soon!

brentus1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    InSpiritedOne,

I enjoyed reading your post...your experience is similar to mine.

I've been dealing with AC joint problems for almost 2 years now. I'm a pretty heavy bench-presser for my size, and the pain in my right shoulder started very mild and progressively got worse and worse until it was killing me.

When I initially went to an ortho, they thought it was a labral issue. Had an MRI arthrogram done a few weeks later, and they found it was my AC joint instead...MRI report stated "moderate hypertrophy of the distal clavicle with tiny erosions at its articular surface."

Any kind of flat pressing movements, with bar, dumbell, or whatever, killed it. The pain was unbearable.

The first ortho I went to told me to stay away from surgery. He said I basically had an inflammed AC joint with some mild osteolysis. He told me it may clear up if I took like 6 months off from any pressing exercise. He also told me it may not and I may have trouble with it for the rest of my life. Needless to say, he wasn't much help.

I got another opinion and this doc told me to take 6 weeks off and see what happened.

After 6 weeks of no pressing movements whatsoever, my shoulder drastically improved.

I'm still being very careful. I started back benching very light and I am very carefully working my way back up.

The pain is still there and it gets inflammed after a chest workout, but it mostly subsides a couple days later.

I still have a way to go, but I think an extended layoff is very helpful for this condition. Those 6 weeks really seemed to help mine alot. Hopefully it will keep getting better, who knows. It's an extremely frustrating condition.

rospina has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bajeter View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EALJEqgPJPQ

I have had this scapular winging issue for quite some time now. It obviously creates a lack of stabilization and therefore I have trouble gaining upper body strength. So, now that have been trying to bulk, I am not putting on the size I want because there is a "lack of foundation". I am not sure if there is damage to the thoracic nerve. This will cause weak/underdeveloped serratus anterior muscles, hence the winging of the scapula. I am hoping it is something I can "fix" on my own. My next stop is a neurologist. Can anyone offer some insight?
    Sounds like a real pain in the ass. I'm a physical therapy major and i've seen your case before, it isn't always a neurological cause though. If you feel tingling/numbing or burning sensations it may be neurological damage. but the other reason this sort of thing happens is due to a torn rhomboid/mid-trapezius. Have you had an MRI yet? those are usually indicative of whether it's a tear, or nerve damage. regardless, if you saw a neurologist, he'll run some tests to indicate whether you have nerve damage or to rule it out. let me know how that goes and good luck!

jarret100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

and another one...

Hey guys, I want to thank all of you that have posted on this forum for keeping me informed while I have been diagnosed with DC osteolysis, went through a 6 month period of completely stopping any lifting and tried to let it go away per my doc's recommendation and it had its ups and downs as far as pain goes but the intense and violent popping hasn?t subsided at all and now there is pain more and more every day it seems and right now it?s hard to lift my shoulder straight out once I get parallel with the floor its serious pain, I can?t even hold my steering wheel with that arm for sh*t sake.....

so anyway throughout this process of waiting to see if it would go away I have been reading this thread and learning alot and thanks to all of you I feel pretty comfortable about going to get the surgery now as I cannot go on like this anymore... I was about 195lbs 6'0" and benching 225lbs no prob 4 or 5 sets...working out and playing sports 5-7 days a week...and now bc of this I have not been in the gym for 7 or 8 months now and have lost so much muscle and gained so much fat and I am going crazy without the gym so I think I must do this...

I have bone spurs in there and the whole nine, although my dr said that my MRI showed that it wasnt much of the clavicle bone that was in trouble and that it was the beginning of the osteolysis (when I first went in it was bc of just popping and not really much pain yet, not sure if that is a progression meter) I have just in the past few days decided to do this and haven?t made the appt yet or anything so I'm not sure if it will be scoped or opened...which is better?? scope I assume...

So, here it goes, now I join this thread that I have been reading for months and join you all and hopefully post a success story of my own here afterwards...I will let you all know when I have it scheduled and I?m sure I will soon have a million questions...

But first just one...If I smoke marijuana...daily...will that hurt me or slow the process if I smoke during my healing period post-op?

Thanks

Hey guys, just updating you on my progress. My shoulder is as good as ever, and we're 2+ years since I have started this thread my sophmore year in college. I still advocate this procedure.

It's been a winding road lately, but I went to see my orthopedist because I stupidly twisted my ankle (just a stupid sprain), and I wanted to fill you in on his opinion and some other information I found interesting.

First, I was 20 when I had this surgery, and my doctor stated how it was odd/ rare for someone of my age to devolope DCO.

Second, I asked him about his clinical pathology he's encountered and what he can say about the recovery rates. He said that usually everything works out all together, but sometimes he does have to do the surgery again to make the symptoms go away. He said that his patients who didn't seem to recover in the beginning (Horrible movement and Horrible pain) were the ones he needed to reoperate on.

I just wanted to forward you guys the info. Interestingly enough, researching this disease has sparked an major interest in my life. I am ending the winding road college, and I am now thinking of medical school, much more specifically orthopedics. We'll see what happens in my future, because I may burn out from this dream and be an engineer for a while.

As a response to jarret100, I think the only thing marijuana can do is affect your motivation to get back to the gym and cause you to pack on the pounds (you'll eat tons when you're sitting by yourself recovering and high). I am sure you know how to work around that problem. I wouldn't think it could cause any physical problems to your shoulder... Hell, it may help! I would ask a professional, however, and make sure you're totally off the record (you don't want your insurance to know!).
    Last edited by grebnehtor; 06-12-2009 at 10:30 PM.

POWERSTROKE75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What if?

Originally Posted by grebnehtor View Post
    Hey guys, just updating you on my progress. My shoulder is as good as ever, and we're 2+ years since I have started this thread my sophmore year in college. I still advocate this procedure.

It's been a winding road lately, but I went to see my orthopedist because I stupidly twisted my ankle (just a stupid sprain), and I wanted to fill you in on his opinion and some other information I found interesting.

First, I was 20 when I had this surgery, and my doctor stated how it was odd/ rare for someone of my age to devolope DCO.

Second, I asked him about his clinical pathology he's encountered and what he can say about the recovery rates. He said that usually everything works out all together, but sometimes he does have to do the surgery again to make the symptoms go away. He said that his patients who didn't seem to recover in the beginning (Horrible movement and Horrible pain) were the ones he needed to reoperate on.

I just wanted to forward you guys the info. Interestingly enough, researching this disease has sparked an major interest in my life. I am ending the winding road college, and I am now thinking of medical school, much more specifically orthopedics. We'll see what happens in my future, because I may burn out from this dream and be an engineer for a while.

As a response to jarret100, I think the only thing marijuana can do is affect your motivation to get back to the gym and cause you to pack on the pounds (you'll eat tons when you're sitting by yourself recovering and high). I am sure you know how to work around that problem. I wouldn't think it could cause any physical problems to your shoulder... Hell, it may help! I would ask a professional, however, and make sure you're totally off the record (you don't want your insurance to know!).
    Hey there, I guess my question for you is: what if I don't have the surgery? I've been "dealing" with the pain and discomfort in my left shoulder for about a year now...stopped training and went to pt for two and a half months with no change...have been scheduled for surgery twice and have cancelled each time. I'm just not sure that it's going to be worth it to have to stop training for possibly three months plus while everything "heals". So, what are the possible consequences of just toughing this out?

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast