Page 51 of 127 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 3789
    Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by tnt2005 View Post
    Well this is my first contest. I don't follow any diet (ignorance is bliss) I eat and eat and try to stick to what I know is good for you. My BF is really low right now becasuse another big no, I'm running cross country at the same time. It ofcourse shreds muscle mass. I wake up in the morning and take BCAA's and vitamins and have two fried egg sandwiches on wheat bread and some pototoas for energy. Throughout the day I'll try to eat frequently just to try to maintain my muscle mass for the contest. I train Mike Menzter style in hit, using Arthur Jone's philosophy. I go all out in a short intense burst. Rest for three days and work another muscle group.

My calves are definitly lagging, but I'm building my body after Zane. And my vaccuum, victory pose and quarter back pose all look to be coming up nicely. Though perhaps since I'm in the teenage class, my mesomorphic frame with a tiny waist can win the show. But there are also other more dedicated athletes competing I'm sure. My dedication to bodybuilding is something I learned from you and Arnold ( from the book I think your hero as well) a charismatic champion willing to be number one. So I hope to have the stage presence to win over the judges. I have tried your diet and ofcourse it works, but now a days its just so expensive so I have to eat what I get and be discplined enough to avoid the oreo's.

Are there any suggestions you can give me off that for the contest?

p.s. it amazing your on here. Your one of my hero's its amazing to be able to ask you a question.
    Well, like you said, you are doing things that you know are not typical for preparing for a bodybuilding contest (running cross country, eating fried egg sandwiches). However, you said you are really ripped so you will still probably do well in the contest. The teenage divisions in most shows are pretty weak. I just promoted a show here in Chicago and we had a total of 4 teenage competitors. The guy who was the most ripped was the winner even though he wasn't the biggest. I would suggest eating more quality food in your diet if you can afford it. Protein foods like egg whites (and a couple whole eggs), chicken, turkey, lean red meat, fish, salmon along with protein drinks like Pro Complex or Whey Gold from Optimum Nutrition. Also, eat high quality complex carbs like oatmeal, sweet potatoes, brown rice, whole grain bread or Ezkiel bread. This will give you the energy you need for your workouts and your running without sacrificing muscle. And, as you said, keep practicing your posing and hit the poses correctly. Most people, especially teenagers, don't hit their poses right and this affects their placings.
    www.Naturalolympia.com

www.mp6training.com

www.johnhansenfitness.com

www.musclesatthemovies.com

conisag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) conisag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) conisag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) conisag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) conisag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) conisag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) conisag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) conisag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) conisag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) conisag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) conisag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hey John could you read and reply to my private message please? i'd appreciate it very very much, thanks alot.
    -Conner
    2006 OG

In on drep fade?

Lord of manor of wansley

Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Natural_O is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by conisag View Post
    Hey John could you read and reply to my private message please? i'd appreciate it very very much, thanks alot.
    -Conner
    I just replied to your message Conner.
    www.Naturalolympia.com

www.mp6training.com

Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cuchulainn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    John a few months ago you briefly talked about your elbow tendinitis. Do you have any tips or suggestions for those of us who also have it? I am already icing and trying to get inflammation down.

Thank you.
    Many of life's failures are men who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

-Thomas Edison

Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    John a few months ago you briefly talked about your elbow tendinitis. Do you have any tips or suggestions for those of us who also have it? I am already icing and trying to get inflammation down.

Thank you.
    I sort of just worked through mine and that's probably not the best advice but that's what I did. I bought one of those things you wear over your elbow and I always wear it when I train chest, triceps and shoulders (any pressing or extension movement). This definitely helped with the pain. My elbow was really, really bothering me for almost a year and it seemed like it was progressively getting worse. Now, it doesn't bother me that much so hopefully I am past the worst part and I can just train with it by wearing the elbow bands.
    www.Naturalolympia.com

www.mp6training.com

|ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post

Thank you.
    If I may interject in John's thread....check out active release therapy. It is truly a lifesaver - has helped me out of shoulder impingement, medial and lateral elbow tendonitis and patellar (knee) tendonitis. All of these were also seen by a sports orthopedist who offered little help other than "take advil, stop lifting for 6 months and if that doesn't do it, surgery".

With active release I typically had significant (70-90%) recovery after one treatment and within a few weeks, completely healed.

www.activerelease.com
    It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. - Bill Murray

Mods - my avatar is locked by the admin and can't be changed.

Thanks Iceman!
    www.Naturalolympia.com

www.mp6training.com

Registered User Mr.B.illionaire's Avatar
    Mr.B.illionaire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Natural_O View Post
    I sort of just worked through mine and that's probably not the best advice but that's what I did. I bought one of those things you wear over your elbow and I always wear it when I train chest, triceps and shoulders (any pressing or extension movement). This definitely helped with the pain. My elbow was really, really bothering me for almost a year and it seemed like it was progressively getting worse. Now, it doesn't bother me that much so hopefully I am past the worst part and I can just train with it by wearing the elbow bands.

I just saw this thread and I wanted to say thank you for your time Mr. Hansen. I'm aspiring to do big things in the Natural realm. Just give me a little time and I'll be noticeable. But thank you for taking the time to chat with us all. It means a lot to all of us. Even the ones who talk smack. Take care.
    Mr.B.illionaire

Originally Posted by Mr.B.illionaire View Post
    I just saw this thread and I wanted to say thank you for your time Mr. Hansen. I'm aspiring to do big things in the Natural realm. Just give me a little time and I'll be noticeable. But thank you for taking the time to chat with us all. It means a lot to all of us. Even the ones who talk smack. Take care.
    You're welcome Mr. B and I appreciate the nice words.
    www.Naturalolympia.com

www.mp6training.com

NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50) NathanTurner will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    John,

You gave me some great advice on nutrition and dieting, probably a year or so ago. I managed to diet from 245 lbs at well over 20% BF to 190 lbs at around 13% BF. I'm currently at 225 lbs around 14%. My question this time is about training.

I found that my body responds rather well to basic, compound training, so I've made the focus of my lifting a routine based on Starr's 5x5 training. My main focus has been to increase muscle size through lifting progressively heavier weights and getting my core lifts up, which has worked pretty well. However, my progress is now consistently stalling and it is getting very difficult to keep increasing my numbers on a regular basis. I feel that I have two options: one is to begin focusing on hypertrophy and mass gains by using an intermediate bodybuilding routine, such as one detailed in your book, "Natural Bodybuilding." Another option is to drive mass gains by developing a strength-oriented routine, such as one focusing on the three major lifts and related assistance exercises for general hypertrophy. This would imply having three lifting days per week; one "squat" day, one "bench" day, and one "deadlift" day, with four to five assistance exercises for each respective lift performed. I'd use linear periodization so I'd go through periods of higher reps, to progressively heavier weights at lower reps and total volume in a 5-8 week cycle. My question to you is this: in your view, would focusing on increasing my overall strength and numbers (255lbs bench, 355lbs squat, and 390lbs deadlift) at this stage be more productive in gaining basic size and mass, or would using an intermediate bodybuilding routine be a better option?

Thanks again for your time!
    Last edited by NathanTurner; 09-20-2008 at 10:14 PM.
    "Everyday, Jesus humbles himself just as He did when He came from His heavenly throne into the Virgin’s womb; everyday He comes to us and lets us see Him in abjection, when He descends from the bosom of the Father into the hands of the priest at the altar." -- St. Francis of Assisi

Originally Posted by NathanTurner View Post
    John,

You gave me some great advice on nutrition and dieting, probably a year or so ago. I managed to diet from 245 lbs at well over 20% BF to 190 lbs at around 13% BF. I'm currently at 225 lbs around 14%. My question this time is about training.

I found that my body responds rather well to basic, compound training, so I've made the focus of my lifting a routine based on Starr's 5x5 training. My main focus has been to increase muscle size through lifting progressively heavier weights and getting my core lifts up, which has worked pretty well. However, my progress is now consistently stalling and it is getting very difficult to keep increasing my numbers on a regular basis. I feel that I have two options: one is to begin focusing on hypertrophy and mass gains by using an intermediate bodybuilding routine, such as one detailed in your book, "Natural Bodybuilding." Another option is to drive mass gains by developing a strength-oriented routine, such as one focusing on the three major lifts and related assistance exercises for general hypertrophy. This would imply having three lifting days per week; one "squat" day, one "bench" day, and one "deadlift" day, with four to five assistance exercises for each respective lift performed. I'd use linear periodization so I'd go through periods of higher reps, to progressively heavier weights at lower reps and total volume in a 5-8 week cycle. My question to you is this: in your view, would focusing on increasing my overall strength and numbers (255lbs bench, 355lbs squat, and 390lbs deadlift) at this stage be more productive in gaining basic size and mass, or would using an intermediate bodybuilding routine be a better option?

Thanks again for your time!
    Hey Nathan,

First of all, congrats on making such great progress!
    As for your question, it sounds like your primary goal now is to increase your muscle mass more than increasing your strength. If that is your objective, I would suggest doing the mass building routine in my book over the three days a week power routine, which would help your strength more than your muscle mass. I think the three days on, one day off routine would work great for you at this stage of the game to build more mass (and strength). This routine would give you five days of rest for each bodypart and I think it would be great for building more size.
    www.Naturalolympia.com

www.mp6training.com

Fallen_ is just really nice. (+1000) Fallen_ is just really nice. (+1000) Fallen_ is just really nice. (+1000) Fallen_ is just really nice. (+1000) Fallen_ is just really nice. (+1000) Fallen_ is just really nice. (+1000) Fallen_ is just really nice. (+1000) Fallen_ is just really nice. (+1000) Fallen_ is just really nice. (+1000) Fallen_ is just really nice. (+1000) Fallen_ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey John,

I tried sending this through PM but it states that it's not accepting further messages so sorry for the tangent in topic.

Long time lurker of this thread and the great advice given was definately of help. Thus - also with the recommendation from many on this and other sites - I purchased your book Natural Bodybuilding from your Pro Shop on your website.

I just wanted to ask how long the shipping takes to Australia and is the shipping to Australia the same price listed for shipping on your site (US$5.75) ?

Thanks
    "Age is the gateway to stupidity" - Xamine, a 15 year old quality poster at BB.com

My review of the 2008 Mr. Olympia is posted online on Bodybuilding.com. Here is the link: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hans...pia_review.htm
    www.Naturalolympia.com

www.mp6training.com

Self proclaimed sorcerer Bnizzle163's Avatar
    Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey John. Sorry for being slightly off topic, but I was wondering if you will be hosting your show again at bolingbrook highschool in 09'. If so, will it be march this year?

I don't know if you recognize me, but I was a trainer where you workout.

Thanks in advance!
    *Professional comic book geek* *semi-pro cartoon collector* *full time nerd*

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166076501

Contact me for coaching/contest prep/nutritional services: WRyan163@yahoo.com

IG: @Bnizzle163

here I come 20inch club Armando777's Avatar
    Armando777 is just really nice. (+1000) Armando777 is just really nice. (+1000) Armando777 is just really nice. (+1000) Armando777 is just really nice. (+1000) Armando777 is just really nice. (+1000) Armando777 is just really nice. (+1000) Armando777 is just really nice. (+1000) Armando777 is just really nice. (+1000) Armando777 is just really nice. (+1000) Armando777 is just really nice. (+1000) Armando777 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well, like you said, you are doing things that you know are not typical for preparing for a bodybuilding contest (running cross country, eating fried egg sandwiches). However, you said you are really ripped so you will still probably do well in the contest. The teenage divisions in most shows are pretty weak. I just promoted a show here in Chicago and we had a total of 4 teenage competitors. The guy who was the most ripped was the winner even though he wasn't the biggest. I would suggest eating more quality food in your diet if you can afford it. Protein foods like egg whites (and a couple whole eggs), chicken, turkey, lean red meat, fish, salmon along with protein drinks like Pro Complex or Whey Gold from Optimum Nutrition. Also, eat high quality complex carbs like oatmeal, sweet potatoes, brown rice, whole grain bread or Ezkiel bread. This will give you the energy you need for your workouts and your running without sacrificing muscle. And, as you said, keep practicing your posing and hit the poses correctly. Most people, especially teenagers, don't hit their poses right and this affects their placings.
    Hi John,

I can't seem to lose the little pouch that iis left around my bellybutton. On your reply above-do you think its ok to do cross country running(in my case jogging) to get cut?
    How long every day and how to manipulate the diet? I weigh about 185 lbs and I'm 5feet' 9.5in
    As long as you have a clean carb and good protein diet then you shouldn't loose muscle iif you run? I have the muscle, but losing the fat has always been VERY hard for me.
    My brother in laws bro did a lot of running and ab work and he got ripped. Only thing is the fat really went away and it left him with a really wavy or wrinkled face.
    I'd like to get the six pack starting today, because if I start now I'll have it for summer. It will give me enough time not to get the wavy face. So is the running to get cut possible John?

Thanks a million John

GRAMATONNAGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GRAMATONNAGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GRAMATONNAGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GRAMATONNAGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GRAMATONNAGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GRAMATONNAGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GRAMATONNAGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GRAMATONNAGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GRAMATONNAGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GRAMATONNAGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GRAMATONNAGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I started working out 2-1/2 years ago. I was 29 and had never done any serious weight lifting before. I played a lot of sports growing up though.

I am a full japanese descendant. It appears genetics are not in my favor. I had mid-life crisis at 29 and that's why I started working out. My blood pressure was getting high and my gut did not allow me to see one of my legs. Now I don't have vision problems anymore and my blood pressure is 98/65 or somewhere close to that.

I knew I would not get serious or results on my own. I got a trainer from day one. I am fortunate I got Mr Utah from a few years ago. He has an amazing physique (specially considering he also has an asian background). Best of all, he has always been natural.

I believe I got pretty strong compared to people my built. However, I don't seem to bulk up mass very much.

Anyway, sounds like I'm rambling. I just want to congratulate you, John. I am happy I could afford a trainer and a very good one, btw. I know you are being the trainer/consultant for a lot of people without getting paid on these boards. I don't really have a questions for you since I still use the trainer. I want to say you are helping those who took a path that requires a lot more knowledge in order to get results. I think this thread got way too long but I really enjoyed reading it. Keep up the good work.

Shreddedz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Book

Hi John, I have sent you a PM regarding your book, just in case you do not get notifications.

Originally Posted by Bnizzle163 View Post
    Hey John. Sorry for being slightly off topic, but I was wondering if you will be hosting your show again at bolingbrook highschool in 09'. If so, will it be march this year?

I don't know if you recognize me, but I was a trainer where you workout.

Thanks in advance!
    Yes, my next show will be March 21st, 2009 at Brooks Middle School in Bolingbrook, IL. Yes, that would be great if you competed!
    www.Naturalolympia.com

www.mp6training.com

Originally Posted by Armando777 View Post
    Hi John,

I can't seem to lose the little pouch that iis left around my bellybutton. On your reply above-do you think its ok to do cross country running(in my case jogging) to get cut?
    How long every day and how to manipulate the diet? I weigh about 185 lbs and I'm 5feet' 9.5in
    As long as you have a clean carb and good protein diet then you shouldn't loose muscle iif you run? I have the muscle, but losing the fat has always been VERY hard for me.
    My brother in laws bro did a lot of running and ab work and he got ripped. Only thing is the fat really went away and it left him with a really wavy or wrinkled face.
    I'd like to get the six pack starting today, because if I start now I'll have it for summer. It will give me enough time not to get the wavy face. So is the running to get cut possible John?

Thanks a million John
    My strategy for losing fat is to try and lose it with your diet more than with cardio. Doing too much cardio, especially when combined with a lower calorie or lower carb diet, will sacrifice too much muscle tissue. I like to count every calorie along with how many grams of protein, carbs and fats I take in when I am dieting. I lose fat by eating a high protein diet and moderate carbohydrate diet. If I can slowly lose the fat by eating less carbs, I don't have to do that much cardio and I can keep more muscle tissue while I lose the fat. I think running is too intense of a cardio exercise and you have a greater chance of losing muscle by doing intense cardio exercise. When I do cardio, I usually just do a fast walk on the treadmill or outside and raise the heart rate in the "fat-burning zone" but not where the heart is pounding from the intense exercise (like running). When the exercise intensity increases, your body will look for sugar to supply the body with immediate energy. If you are eating a lower carb diet, your body may have to break down muscle tissue to supply your energy needs. I would suggest a lower intensity cardio program and watch your diet more closely to slowly lose the fat and keep the muscle.
    www.Naturalolympia.com

www.mp6training.com

Originally Posted by GRAMATONNAGS View Post
    I started working out 2-1/2 years ago. I was 29 and had never done any serious weight lifting before. I played a lot of sports growing up though.

I am a full japanese descendant. It appears genetics are not in my favor. I had mid-life crisis at 29 and that's why I started working out. My blood pressure was getting high and my gut did not allow me to see one of my legs. Now I don't have vision problems anymore and my blood pressure is 98/65 or somewhere close to that.

I knew I would not get serious or results on my own. I got a trainer from day one. I am fortunate I got Mr Utah from a few years ago. He has an amazing physique (specially considering he also has an asian background). Best of all, he has always been natural.

I believe I got pretty strong compared to people my built. However, I don't seem to bulk up mass very much.

Anyway, sounds like I'm rambling. I just want to congratulate you, John. I am happy I could afford a trainer and a very good one, btw. I know you are being the trainer/consultant for a lot of people without getting paid on these boards. I don't really have a questions for you since I still use the trainer. I want to say you are helping those who took a path that requires a lot more knowledge in order to get results. I think this thread got way too long but I really enjoyed reading it. Keep up the good work.
    That's great that you are making such progress and I think it was a very smart decision to use a trainer right off the bat. Keep working hard and thanks for your post!
    www.Naturalolympia.com

www.mp6training.com

raw3d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    John-

I have your book and your DVD that I got from your website, thanks for the great routines. I am currently lifting 5 times a week and doing 30 minutes of cardio post-workout. I am trying to lean out from 210 ~14.5% BF down to 9% BF. However, I am unsure as about the exact amount of calories I am supposed to be having. All of these BMR calculations things are confusing, and more importantly seem to lose their accuracy because you have to use some vague "activity modifier" number at the end to get the right amount.

Like I said, I'm 210 #s ~14.5% BF at 6'2". I currently am getting about 2300 calories a day (300g protein/ 170g carbs/ 60g fat). I eat only complex carbs (besides a scoop of glycomaize post-workout), lean sources of protein, and good fats. I also have my carbs only for breakfast, pre-workout, and in my post-workout shake and post-workout meal. I don't cycle carbs or refeed or anything like that.

Am I doing the right thing? I weigh myself every day and it's entirely all over the place. I will eat the same thing for 5 days straight, same water intake, same exercise, and my weight will go up and down by about 5 pounds throughout the whole time. I have no way of making the little changes all the competition guys claim they know to make, nor would I know what else I could do.

Help me!

Originally Posted by raw3d View Post
    John-

I have your book and your DVD that I got from your website, thanks for the great routines. I am currently lifting 5 times a week and doing 30 minutes of cardio post-workout. I am trying to lean out from 210 ~14.5% BF down to 9% BF. However, I am unsure as about the exact amount of calories I am supposed to be having. All of these BMR calculations things are confusing, and more importantly seem to lose their accuracy because you have to use some vague "activity modifier" number at the end to get the right amount.

Like I said, I'm 210 #s ~14.5% BF at 6'2". I currently am getting about 2300 calories a day (300g protein/ 170g carbs/ 60g fat). I eat only complex carbs (besides a scoop of glycomaize post-workout), lean sources of protein, and good fats. I also have my carbs only for breakfast, pre-workout, and in my post-workout shake and post-workout meal. I don't cycle carbs or refeed or anything like that.

Am I doing the right thing? I weigh myself every day and it's entirely all over the place. I will eat the same thing for 5 days straight, same water intake, same exercise, and my weight will go up and down by about 5 pounds throughout the whole time. I have no way of making the little changes all the competition guys claim they know to make, nor would I know what else I could do.

Help me!
    I think you are doing the right things with your training and diet. You didn't really say if what you are doing is working or if you are stuck at where you are right now. Believe it or not, I would actually recommend that you increase your calories and carbs a little to rev up your metabolism. It seems like you are stuck right now from eating a lower calorie and lower carb diet. What I always do when I diet is to eat higher carbs on some days and lower carbs on some days. It seems like that works better than just eating lower carbs all the time. The metabolism increases from the higher carb intake but it doesn't have a chance to get fat because you are balancing it out with the lower carb days.

I usually train 4 days a week so I'll eat higher carbs on those four days and then go really low on the off days. The formula I go by (totally unscientific, btw) is to multiply your bodyweight by .95 to get your carb intake for your training days and then multiply it by .75 for your non-training days. If you weigh 210 pounds, you could eat 200 grams of carbs on your training days and about 160 grams of carbs on your rest days. The protein intake is good, 300 grams per day but you could increase this even a little more on your low carb days. Keep the fats around 60-70 grams a day (a little more also on your lower carb days).

You could probably also cut back on the cardio to 4 days a week, doing it first thing in the morning to get more fat loss. Training and doing cardio five days a week might be a little too much with the lower calories.

If you increased your carbs to 200 grams 4 days a week and then went down to 160 grams on the other days, you would be eating an average of 183 grams of carbs per day. You could add in the extra 30 grams of carbs by having a complex, low glycemic carb like sweet potatoes or brown rice at lunch. Good Luck!
    www.Naturalolympia.com

www.mp6training.com

J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) J_Bo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey John!

I was wondering if you were going to be offering your book and 2 dvd combo deal again anytime in the future. I meant to jump on that deal last time around, but missed it. Thanks!

Originally Posted by J_Bo View Post
    Hey John!

I was wondering if you were going to be offering your book and 2 dvd combo deal again anytime in the future. I meant to jump on that deal last time around, but missed it. Thanks!
    Yes, I'll do that for the holiday season again. Look for it on my website next month, www.naturalolympia.com.
    www.Naturalolympia.com

www.mp6training.com

raw3d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think you are doing the right things with your training and diet. You didn't really say if what you are doing is working or if you are stuck at where you are right now. Believe it or not, I would actually recommend that you increase your calories and carbs a little to rev up your metabolism. It seems like you are stuck right now from eating a lower calorie and lower carb diet. What I always do when I diet is to eat higher carbs on some days and lower carbs on some days. It seems like that works better than just eating lower carbs all the time. The metabolism increases from the higher carb intake but it doesn't have a chance to get fat because you are balancing it out with the lower carb days.

I usually train 4 days a week so I'll eat higher carbs on those four days and then go really low on the off days. The formula I go by (totally unscientific, btw) is to multiply your bodyweight by .95 to get your carb intake for your training days and then multiply it by .75 for your non-training days. If you weigh 210 pounds, you could eat 200 grams of carbs on your training days and about 160 grams of carbs on your rest days. The protein intake is good, 300 grams per day but you could increase this even a little more on your low carb days. Keep the fats around 60-70 grams a day (a little more also on your lower carb days).

You could probably also cut back on the cardio to 4 days a week, doing it first thing in the morning to get more fat loss. Training and doing cardio five days a week might be a little too much with the lower calories.

If you increased your carbs to 200 grams 4 days a week and then went down to 160 grams on the other days, you would be eating an average of 183 grams of carbs per day. You could add in the extra 30 grams of carbs by having a complex, low glycemic carb like sweet potatoes or brown rice at lunch. Good Luck!
    Thanks for the quick reply John!

Like I said, I seem to be having trouble telling if I am stuck or not because my weight has been fluctuating so much. In the past month and a half I've been as high as 216 pounds and as low as 208 pounds, and right now I am 210 and have been doing the same thing the entire time.

I am going to try eating high carbs (200) Monday-Thursday and low carbs (160) Friday-Sunday as you suggest.

I've just been so frustrated by not being able to gauge my own progress, I couldn't tell if I should tweak what I am doing or not, that's why I came to you. I feel a lot of people don't understand how to properly get cut, but being that you have been bodybuilding for so long and are a natural (like me), as well as you say you have been experiencing a slower metabolism as late (I have a slow metabolism just from genetics), I figured you were the person I needed to talk to.

I've had guys tell me 40 grams of fat a day was too much, as well as to do cardio immediately before your workout because doing it after lifting forces your fat into the muscle and it gets stuck there (?!?!?!?). It's frustrating to not be able to say, "you're an idiot, I'm down X pounds in a month doing it my way." With your advice I can go out and be confident that my hard work is going to be beneficial and not just wasted effort.

You're the man!

P.S. - Did you ever have this problem with your weight fluctuating so much you can't tell if you are making progress or not?

here I come 20inch club Armando777's Avatar
    Armando777 is just really nice. (+1000) Armando777 is just really nice. (+1000) Armando777 is just really nice. (+1000) Armando777 is just really nice. (+1000) Armando777 is just really nice. (+1000) Armando777 is just really nice. (+1000) Armando777 is just really nice. (+1000) Armando777 is just really nice. (+1000) Armando777 is just really nice. (+1000) Armando777 is just really nice. (+1000) Armando777 is just really nice. (+1000)
    My strategy for losing fat is to try and lose it with your diet more than with cardio. Doing too much cardio, especially when combined with a lower calorie or lower carb diet, will sacrifice too much muscle tissue. I like to count every calorie along with how many grams of protein, carbs and fats I take in when I am dieting. I lose fat by eating a high protein diet and moderate carbohydrate diet. If I can slowly lose the fat by eating less carbs, I don't have to do that much cardio and I can keep more muscle tissue while I lose the fat. I think running is too intense of a cardio exercise and you have a greater chance of losing muscle by doing intense cardio exercise. When I do cardio, I usually just do a fast walk on the treadmill or outside and raise the heart rate in the "fat-burning zone" but not where the heart is pounding from the intense exercise (like running). When the exercise intensity increases, your body will look for sugar to supply the body with immediate energy. If you are eating a lower carb diet, your body may have to break down muscle tissue to supply your energy needs. I would suggest a lower intensity cardio program and watch your diet more closely to slowly lose the fat and keep the muscle.

Thanks John for answering my question. You are a true gentleman!

Originally Posted by raw3d View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply John!

Like I said, I seem to be having trouble telling if I am stuck or not because my weight has been fluctuating so much. In the past month and a half I've been as high as 216 pounds and as low as 208 pounds, and right now I am 210 and have been doing the same thing the entire time.

I am going to try eating high carbs (200) Monday-Thursday and low carbs (160) Friday-Sunday as you suggest.

I've just been so frustrated by not being able to gauge my own progress, I couldn't tell if I should tweak what I am doing or not, that's why I came to you. I feel a lot of people don't understand how to properly get cut, but being that you have been bodybuilding for so long and are a natural (like me), as well as you say you have been experiencing a slower metabolism as late (I have a slow metabolism just from genetics), I figured you were the person I needed to talk to.

I've had guys tell me 40 grams of fat a day was too much, as well as to do cardio immediately before your workout because doing it after lifting forces your fat into the muscle and it gets stuck there (?!?!?!?). It's frustrating to not be able to say, "you're an idiot, I'm down X pounds in a month doing it my way." With your advice I can go out and be confident that my hard work is going to be beneficial and not just wasted effort.

You're the man!

P.S. - Did you ever have this problem with your weight fluctuating so much you can't tell if you are making progress or not?
    I will both weigh myself and measure my waist EVERY DAY when I am trying to lose weight. What I noticed is that my weight will vary by a pound or two on a daily basis. What I look for is for my waist to go down every week. Even if my waist only goes down a quarter of an inch, I want to make sure it goes down every week. If it doesn't, I will look at my diet and change something so I can make faster progress. Usually, this will involve cutting back on the carbs, even by cutting it back 10 grams a day might make a difference.

The theory of fat getting stuck in the muscle if you do cardio after your workouts is hilarious! I never heard that one before. Actually, doing cardio after your workouts is a good thing for burning fat because you are using up all your glycogen during your workouts so your body has to burn stored bodyfat for energy when you do your cardio because there is no sugar to use for energy.
    www.Naturalolympia.com

www.mp6training.com

Shreddedz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pm

Hi John, could you please reply to my PM. I have sent it on Sunday. I will resend it in case you lost it.

Thanks for the help

jrjt27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pullovers

Hey john,

how do you feel about pullovers with cables, barbell or dumbbells? Are they an affective exercise for the chest/back? Are they more affective for chest or back? What version of the pullover do you recomend? Or is it better to stick to the basics for chest?
    Last edited by jrjt27; 10-09-2008 at 01:06 AM.

Hi John,

I have purchased your book and have to say it is one of the best I have read. I have a few questions for you if you do not mind.

I am somewhere between mesomorph and endomorph, probably more towards endomorph.
    I am actually following the sample diet you have outlined for endomorphs on page 101 for 175lb body -table 4.5.
    I was able to go from 184 to 175 in about 3 weeks but for the last two weeks I am stuck at 175. Should I increase cardio lets say from 30min to 45min after workout? Any other suggestions?

Due to a back problem, I am not doing any Squats or Deadlifts. I am basically following the Two day alternate split on page 76, except that I have moved Deltoids to the Arms day.
    Monday:Chest/Back/Calves
    Tuesdayeltoids/Arms/Thighs/Abs
    Wednesday:Off
    Thursday:Chest/Back/Calves
    Fridayeltoids/Arms/Thighs/Abs
    (I can not workout Saturday/Sunday since the Gym is that my work)
    I know that I have read somewhere in the Forum or maybe in the book that it is best to do muscle groups two times per week in order to generate enough TEST. Is that only for the first year until you get very strong or would that hold true all the time? Should I switch to a different program after 6 months?

I know one of the problems is that I do not do Squats/Deadlifts and leg work is relatively high rep. Should I designate more sets for Arms and Shoulders instead?

Does Beta Alanine works as good as Phosphatidylserine you have suggested to reduce cortisol levels?

I obviously do not compete, my main concern is to get to around 7-10% body fat. I am currently between 15-20%.

Thank you,
    Steven
    www.Naturalolympia.com

www.mp6training.com

Page 51 of 127 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 ... LastLast