Under Construction... sharkattack's Avatar
    sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Why does GVT work?

I've had pretty good results with this training system, but I wonder what makes 10 sets of 1 exercise more effective than 10-12 sets of 3-4 exercises?

Is it the fact that you're doing the same movement over and over?

Any insight as to specifically why this seems to be an effective way to train would be appreciated.

Scott

Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The Concentrated targeting of the same muscle fibers would be 1 reason, I am sure.

MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I use GVT as a shocking technique and always get great results. In fact, last week I implemented it. I also put my clients on it a few weeks ago and they loved it.

Under Construction... sharkattack's Avatar
    sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10) sharkattack is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Any other opinions? Please chime in with your opinion or reasons why this method of training seems to work so well.

Thanks,
    Scott

NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Decided to spice up my chest routine with GVT. Felt weird going light but I'll let y'all know the reults in two weeks.
    My famous work quote:

I can live with a little pain and 18+" arms,
    I can't live with the pain of having little 14" arms

Max-Machine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Max-Machine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Max-Machine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

overload

ANY training program will work---for a while! It is a scientific fact the a muslce will only grow when it is overloaded. Life on this planet was made to adapt to it's enviroment. The reason different programs seem to "work" for some and not for others is due to recovery. If a person has a great recovery ability, then anything he or she does "works".

It is said that there is no one "best" way to train. I disagree. The last few years have proven some very scientific methods for NATURAL muscle building--(forget steroid users--the rules change for them).

The key is nutritional recovery. And the timing of intaking certain foods/supplements. I think a careful study of the Max Ot system of training will demonstrate the science behind it. I have read out here that for some it does not "work" for them. If they have not followed it to the letter, then how will it work?

I have recently learned the difference between muscle fatigue, muslce pump, lactic acid buildup and muscle overload. Getting a "pump", fatigueing the muscle with volume training is not the same thing as overloading the muscle. These methods will induce overload to a degree, but proper overloading will not fatigue the muscle or fill it with unnecessary lactic acid---which stop your gains dead in it's tracks!

If you overload your muscle and feed it properly, it will get bigger and stronger---for everyone! Most training programs have overtraining built into them. That's why a change is necessary. Or the need for a "light" week. A routine gets stale due to it's inherent nature of overtraining. We need to train, and not overtrain. Most people overtrain and that is why they get stymied!

A proper utilization of Max OT principles will force anyone's muscles to grow! Intensty is the key---not volume. It is much easier to concentrate on getting 5 solid reps (mind -muscle link) than trying to crank out 10 or 15 reps with focus and determination! I am now learning how to concentrate better at age 50 than at any other time.

Max OT is the best way to go! Short, sweet and productive with no chance of overtraining
    Maximum Overload +Maximum Intensity= Maximum gains!

I'm better than yesterday but not as good as tommorrow!

Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000)
    Got to give my 2 pennys
    Max, you are absolulty correct by saying that you must overload the muscle. What you are failing to see is there are more than one way to do that.

GVT is in a nutshell is a progressive overload of the muslce. You are using a lower weight with more volume to overload the muscle instead of a heavy weight and low volume.
    They BOTH work! IMO

So shark, does it work?? Yes, very well if you are willing to follow the program. Does it work as your one and only program, NO, not IMO. GVT is more of "Shock em" as MsFit said.
    I like to use it when I am trying to add size/bulking. You must make sure weights don't go to failure until last rep or you will overtrain fairly easy.
    Check out the GVT sticky! Good Luck.
    starting over!!!!!!!!!!

GLG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My legs grew the fastest on a one set of 10x10 squats, but it's not something I can do for weeks on end. 4 seems to be about the tops.

Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000) Charger is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by GLG
    My legs grew the fastest on a one set of 10x10 squats, but it's not something I can do for weeks on end. 4 seems to be about the tops.
    GLG, you made a good point. I go 6 weeks but thats it. I have tried to keep going but overtrained.
    If you like intensity, try doing 10x10 squats and follow the time limits. Keep a bucket handy Go all they way down! Much more affective for leg growth than going too heavy and doing partials.
    starting over!!!!!!!!!!

Max-Machine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Max-Machine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Max-Machine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Charger
    Got to give my 2 pennys
    Max, you are absolulty correct by saying that you must overload the muscle. What you are failing to see is there are more than one way to do that.

GVT is in a nutshell is a progressive overload of the muslce. You are using a lower weight with more volume to overload the muscle instead of a heavy weight and low volume.
    They BOTH work! IMO

So shark, does it work?? Yes, very well if you are willing to follow the program. Does it work as your one and only program, NO, not IMO. GVT is more of "Shock em" as MsFit said.
    I like to use it when I am trying to add size/bulking. You must make sure weights don't go to failure until last rep or you will overtrain fairly easy.
    Check out the GVT sticky! Good Luck.
    Well, of course there is more than one way to overload! I did say
    that ANY type of training will work to a degree. The question is, "what is the most efficient way to train" The most efficient way to train is heavy weight, low volume and 4 to 6 reps. It is backed up by research studies. This is not just me talking my opinion on what "works" or does not. Because you get good results from one method does not mean there is not a better way to do it.

More weight=more strength=more muscle. Why would I ever want to lift light weights when I can get the job done in half the time? I can focus all my attention on 5 reps--with all out intenstiy and concentration. Much harder to do with 10 or 12 reps!

Besides, there is a serious risk of overtraining when doing volume work. And you have to fight the lactic acid buildup, which is counterproductive to muscle building. Muscles do not grow by getting "shocked"! Where did this come from? What research proves that? People have read too many "Weider" books!

Overload builds muscle, not shock! If you sufficiently recover from you last overload session, you will make continual progress. Most people overtrain and therefore need some kind of "change" or "shock" because they have gone "stale"

There is no overtraing or going stale with Max OT! It's pure science and ANYONE will make continued progress with it!

Too much volume will cause you to overtrain. If you want to make the best gains in size, lift heavy, once a week, utilize the "Anabolic Bracketing" method and pay close attention to calorie intake.

Originally posted by Max-Machine

Overload builds muscle, not shock! If you sufficiently recover from you last overload session, you will make continual progress. Most people overtrain and therefore need some kind of "change" or "shock" because they have gone "stale"

There is no overtraing or going stale with Max OT! It's pure science and ANYONE will make continued progress with it!

Too much volume will cause you to overtrain. If you want to make the best gains in size, lift heavy, once a week, utilize the "Anabolic Bracketing" method and pay close attention to calorie intake.
    I love this debate
    First of all Max, the question was, how does it work?
    A progressive overload doing sets leading up to failure vs low volume taken to complete failure are both overloading the muscle.
    The difference is with out going to failure on each set, it allows you to do more volume without overtraining. It also adds more endurance. Have you ever tried 10x10squats??

Since you choose to use science, please show mehow it does not work?

As for "shock em!" Your body will adapt to stress. Change the stress, and it will adapt. This is the whole point of shocking your body. Change is good, no one will ever convince me there is one and only one way to train.
    I am now doing periodzation training changing reps, weights, and volume every 2 weeks and getting great results.

As for"Too much volume will cause you to overtrain" yes it can, if you take all your lifts to failure. The key is not going to failure all the time. I know, that is a sin to max-ot guys
    Look at everyday people, people that lift moderate weight on there jobs all day can get huge. Farmers for example. I am from the midwest and live in a rural area. I know several farmers that are huge, from doing heavy work, all day, everyday. There body adapts.
    starting over!!!!!!!!!!

I love this debate
    First of all Max, the question was, how does it work?
    A progressive overload doing sets leading up to failure vs low volume taken to complete failure are both overloading the muscle.
    The difference is with out going to failure on each set, it allows you to do more volume without overtraining. It also adds more endurance. Have you ever tried 10x10squats??

Since you choose to use science, please show mehow it does not work?

As for "shock em!" Your body will adapt to stress. Change the stress, and it will adapt. This is the whole point of shocking your body. Change is good, no one will ever convince me there is one and only one way to train.
    I am now doing periodzation training changing reps, weights, and volume every 2 weeks and getting great results.

As for"Too much volume will cause you to overtrain" yes it can, if you take all your lifts to failure. The key is not going to failure all the time. I know, that is a sin to max-ot guys
    Look at everyday people, people that lift moderate weight on there jobs all day can get huge. Farmers for example. I am from the midwest and live in a rural area. I know several farmers that are huge, from doing heavy work, all day, everyday. There body adapts.
    What's the point in doing a set if it does not result in overloading the muscle? Just wasting time! No, I can't do 10 sets of 10 in anything and I don't want to. I'm not entering a marathon!

Lactic Acid is your enemy! Overload is your friend! Shock does not build, fatigue does not build, endless sets of 10 results in lactic acid buildup. Sure, you'll get endurance. But, I want size & strength!

The point is, if you do a set and you did not overload the muscle, then what on earth did you do?!!! Get a pump? More lactic acid, more catabolism! A set that does not build muscle is a waste of time. Just because you can endure endless sets of 10 does not mean you have done an efficient job of muscle building.

I want the biggest bang for the buck! 6 heavy sets for chest is all it takes---and that is far more efficient than 15 sets!

It all works---but, would you rather spend 20 minutes in the gym or an hour?

Your turn....

It all works---but, would you rather spend 20 minutes in the gym or an hour?

Your turn....
    An hour Max-OT works, I agree, but if you have never tried GVT, give it a go just once,you may be suprised.
    As for set not gone to failure. There is much debate on this very subject and a couple years ago you would have found me on your side of the fence. Today I have learned you can work the muscle enough to add growth without always pushing to failure. In fact even when I go heavy anymore, I only do my last set to complete failure. When doing GVT, by set 6 or 7 you are just below failure, and by set 9 and 10, you should be going to failure. You would be suprised at how the weight goes up.

I have also noticed that after doing GVT for 6 weeks and then switching back to a Max-OT style of training, that my strength on my heavy lifts is a bit less, but after a couple of weeks, I am back to where I left off and making gains. Shock em! I've made great gains after GVT I call it one step back, two forward.

We both have opinions on what is the best way to train. Who's right?? Maybe we both are. Volume seems to work better for some, bad for others. Anyway, nice having a CLEAN debate with you Max!
    starting over!!!!!!!!!!

Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A few of us here including myself use both GVT and Max-OT.
    They both serve a prupose IMO and switching between the two can lead to great gains.

Max and charger, nice littel debate. My hats off to both you guys. LOL Of course, I must agree more with Charger on this issue.....see he and I have been GVT'ing for some time now........LOL

-- Chi

Originally posted by Chi_town
    A few of us here including myself use both GVT and Max-OT.
    They both serve a prupose IMO and switching between the two can lead to great gains.

Max and charger, nice littel debate. My hats off to both you guys. LOL Of course, I must agree more with Charger on this issue.....see he and I have been GVT'ing for some time now........LOL

-- Chi
    Well guys, what can I say? Nothing like a little debate to get the blood going! I bet we all have a better workout this week because of it!

Volume training? Yes, I have done it. And liked it. Tried Max Ot a litlle last November and did not get any gains. Now I have just finished my first 8 weeks and am coming off my one week lay-off.

I liked the sets of ten, made me feel like I was "getting in shape". My first attempt at Max OT failed I think, because I did not really understand the intensity factor and lack of confidence in the 4 to 6 rep range to really build muscle. How differently I think now! I was actually pissed off for having to take a week off!

Look, obviously volume training works. Arnord S.? Master of volume! Change is good--it's even a fundamental Max OT principle! Even you guys admit that volume training is only good for a few weeks, then staleness sets in!

Ever ask yourselves why? I have never made consistent week in and week out gains like I have in the past 8 weeks--without injury or feeling overtrained.

The biggest thing I have learned is "proper" overloading of the muscle. Look, Charger, if you have done 5 sets of ten, and have not gone to failure, exactly what have you done from a muscle building point of view?

I ask, since you have not overloaded the muscle, what have you accomplished with those 5 sets? That's 50 reps bro! And not one has built you any muscle! Hey--if you like reppin' out--more power to you!...

Sets of ten gets you a great pump and a "high" that does not happen with Max OT. I totally agree. But, if you want cardio--do cardio!

I don't have to "change it up" with Max OT. Not drastically, anyway. And the gains seem to be non- stop. I'm not talking slabs of muscle every week. Just a little, one more rep, 5 more lbs.----little gains do ad up!

Conclusion?---THERE IS NONE!

Happy pumping....actually, I was just wanting to see how well I could debate the merits of Max OT out here.... thanx for playing!

The biggest thing I have learned is "proper" overloading of the muscle. Look, Charger, if you have done 5 sets of ten, and have not gone to failure, exactly what have you done from a muscle building point of view?

2 words, progressive overload. It takes the first 5 sets at a moderate weight to fatigue the muscle. Remember, in GVT you are only giving yourself 60 to 90 sec breaks between sets. You are building to failure.

8 weeks of progress is great! If it ain't broke don't fix it, BUT!! IMO, your gains will slow and you will get bored if nothing else with Max-ot. If this happens, give GVT a go again.
    Good luck!!
    starting over!!!!!!!!!!

2 words, progressive overload. It takes the first 5 sets at a moderate weight to fatigue the muscle. Remember, in GVT you are only giving yourself 60 to 90 sec breaks between sets. You are building to failure.
    Ok, how's this? Muscle fatigue is NOT the same as overloading the muscle. A muscle that is fatigued is a muslce that is too tired to produce an overload. It's the same as doing pushups. You can do them and a build a little, but that's it. The rest is simply endurance. The only way to ask more from your muslce is to increase the weight, progessively, of course!

In other words you have to do more this week than last week or else nothing changes. I think what happens with most routines is that we get overtrained. We then try something like GVT which lightens the load for a couple of weeks and then bang! We see some gains again. But, after a few weeks, (cause we're still overtraining) the gains stop. So, it's time for another routine change.

With any system, it is always the last rep or two that builds the muslce! High rep systems do work because of this. HOWEVER, it is not the most efficient way to train The overload effect can be accomplished faster with heavy weight. If you have gone "stale" on Max OT, perhaps you were not following it to the letter?

Here's my version of "progressive overload". This week i do 6, 5 & 4 reps respectively. Next week I do 6,5 & 5. The following week it is 6,6 and maybe even 6 or 5...The next week 5 lbs. are added. Each week has seen a "progression" & the muscle was consistently overloaded and sufficiently recovered by the next workout to handle the next overload. Ok, Ok, so maybe we stay at the same rep scheme for week or two longer than the above---at least a serious attempt was made to do better which will still induce the overload, depending on your concentration level

Nice theory, eh? (sorry, I'm Canadian!).. Every set I now do has a purpose. Either warming up, acclimizing my body for the heavy stuff or building muscle. Any other type of set is a waste.

It is very important to (and I know you know this) realize that we grow OUTSIDE of the gym. The weights are the catylst---nutrition is the key! Bad nutrition= 0 gains!

Enough said! Peace bro... ......well, talk to me in 8 weeks! LOL!