Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

dumbell flyes - why are they bad/good?

well i'm considering (only considering) putting some dumbell flyes in my chest routine. Reasoning being that after i've done my flat bench i'm already spent as far as pressing movements go and haven't increased weight on my incline bench in ages.
    So i was thinking doing:

Flat bench
    Incline flyes
    Decline bench

then the following week doing maybe

Incline bench
    Flat flyes
    Decline bench

Now i realise most people think flyes are a crap exercise, but could you give me your reasoning why you think they are crap.

Also anyone that likes them and has made gains using them, please also let me know.

Cheers.
    sponsored by Bulk Powders Australia
    use code NAPARM in the 'redeem' box at checkout for a discount off your order

ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    did you used to do dips and now do decline for a change of pace?

imo you should take out the decline and add dips and incline bench. also switch to db's for either flat or incline bench if at all possible.

flyes are a great exercise to stretch out the muscle fascia and promote more growth. you won't see much strength gain on any other exercises though.

dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i've never done dips, i work out at home and don't have a dip station, i guess i could use two chairs but... Anyway back to the question at hand...
    sponsored by Bulk Powders Australia
    use code NAPARM in the 'redeem' box at checkout for a discount off your order

Stimpy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by ratmonkey
    did you used to do dips and now do decline for a change of pace?

imo you should take out the decline and add dips and incline bench. also switch to db's for either flat or incline bench if at all possible.

flyes are a great exercise to stretch out the muscle fascia and promote more growth. you won't see much strength gain on any other exercises though.
    bump on this only I don't feel much use from doing flyes with dumbbells, I feel its soooooo much better when i do machine flyes. Give them both a try and see which one you feel works better for you. Oh and definitely add dips to your routine, they're one of the best exercises.
    Weight: 205lbs
    height: 6'

current max benchpress of 297lbs
    current max deadlift of 396lbs
    current max squat of 341lbs
    been seriously training since mid 2003.

RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000) RippedUp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes, DB flyes are overrated. Too much risk of injury for little stimulation.

Stick with dips and DB pressing (flat/incline).
    "Strive for perfection,
    Nothing less"

bukem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by RippedUp
    Yes, DB flyes are overrated. Too much risk of injury for little stimulation.

Stick with dips and DB pressing (flat/incline).
    Got to bump dbs and dips they really are a must for mass.
    I do flies every 6-8 weeks or so at the end of chest routine for variety a finisher and to stretch, but with light wieght high reps 16-20.
    But as Ripped said they provide little stimulation and certainly wouldn't incorporate them in a routine full time

braindmg will become famous soon enough. (+50) braindmg will become famous soon enough. (+50) braindmg will become famous soon enough. (+50) braindmg will become famous soon enough. (+50) braindmg will become famous soon enough. (+50) braindmg will become famous soon enough. (+50) braindmg will become famous soon enough. (+50) braindmg will become famous soon enough. (+50) braindmg will become famous soon enough. (+50) braindmg will become famous soon enough. (+50) braindmg will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ^

RichM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RichM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RichM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    DB flys are an excelent chest isolation movement
    100% ANIMAL

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    flyes are over-rated. they're basically stretching with weights imho. stick w/ heavy pressings and dippings.

Originally posted by dparm99
    i've never done dips, i work out at home and don't have a dip station, i guess i could use two chairs but... Anyway back to the question at hand...
    buy a dip station; one of the better investments you'll make

parrothead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

bump to dips!!!!!!!!!!!

you cannot have a complete chest w/o dips in your routine. declines don't even compare..imho

Xpander is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xpander is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xpander is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xpander is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xpander is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xpander is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xpander is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xpander is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xpander is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xpander is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Xpander is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Re: dumbell flyes - why are they bad/good?

Originally posted by dparm99
    well i'm considering (only considering) putting some dumbell flyes in my chest routine. Reasoning being that after i've done my flat bench i'm already spent as far as pressing movements go and haven't increased weight on my incline bench in ages.

flys won't do much in terms of strength or size gains...i'd consider doing db incline first in your chest routine. also, i'm not sure how you can be spent on pressing movements only after doing your flat bench, how many sets are you doing ?? even if you were to be doing a lot (5+ sets), i'd think you should still have the energy for more pressing movements....
    .....insert clever sig here.....

Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eric_FXST is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I like flyes. Its just me, I know.
    But, they make my chest feel nice after all the pressing. I don't know if it helps to stretch the pec out after all heavy weights, or what...but it makes the muscle feel good.

I currently do 3 working sets each of bench, incline, dips and then finish with 3 sets of flyes.
    I can't imagine a better 'finishing' exercise.

Eric.

ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Oh, you new this was comming. The reason DB flys aren't very good is that you lose all the resistance at the top, right where you should be peaked. Pretty much the same with all other presses.
    www.revised-training.com
    Training got better

Registered User ultraMagnetical's Avatar
    ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    well about about machine flies...you dont lose resistance at any point.....also doing cable flies you always have more resistance than doint bb curls does that mean the cable curls are better than barbell curls?

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally posted by RichM
    DB flys are an excelent chest isolation movement
    But they don't isolate the chest at all. Still just as much anterior and medial delt involved. Probably about 35 to 40% chest. It does remove the tricep, though.

ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Cable curls can be reworked to obtain a leverage disadvantage at the peak, so yes they are infinitely better. BB curls lose the resistance at the top, and most pro's advice to restrict ROM so as not to lose it is rediculous.
    Dead on Zack!
    www.revised-training.com
    Training got better

BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000) BigKazWSM747 is just really nice. (+1000)
    IMO flyes are usually not worth doing. They are ok to throw in every once and awhile but they should never replace the cores of benching (incline and flat) and dips.
    "Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac." -Henry Kissinger

"Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster . . . for when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Friedrich Nietzsche

trap_builder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So, whats the best chest exercise for the upper chest?

if the flies and the bench press arent useful? would the cable standing fly be a good idea since you dont loose resistance?
    Being Full Is No Reason Not To Eat

The upper chest originates on the clavicle. That has to be a consideration. Standing cable flys aren't good because you waste too much energy with posture stabilization. And when people take a couple of steps forward, you lose resistance at full extension. My fly's have a variation for upper pecs, and it has to do with the angle of pull.

My hard-drive crashed. I ordered a new one, and when I get it up and reload all my video clips, I can capture frames and post pictures of everything I talk about. Descriptions are hard, pictures are worth a thousand words.
    www.revised-training.com
    Training got better

RichM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RichM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RichM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    But they don't isolate the chest at all. Still just as much anterior and medial delt involved. Probably about 35 to 40% chest. It does remove the tricep, though.

so your saying db flys arent a chest isolation move? Then why are they described in every book as an isolatino chest movement? O thats right cuz they are more of a shoulder exercise
    100% ANIMAL

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    so your saying db flys arent a chest isolation move? Then why are they described in every book as an isolatino chest movement? O thats right cuz they are more of a shoulder exercise
    Easy, tiger. I don't know what books we're talking about, but DB pec flies aren't a pec isolation move.

You can prove this yourself. Do one with one arm with a super-light weight and feel the anterior delt while you do it. Is it soft like warm jello or strong like bull? Bull, baby. Ditto on the medial head. They're both helping. A lot.

Is more pec is involved on the pec fly than in the bench press? Yeah. But nowhere near isolation.

CamaroKing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For me they have evneed out pes like when you go to bench they make them balanced

And one more thing about the book issue. And I mean this all in the nicest possible way.

Think of it this way, when you read "experts" about how to get huge: Everyone wants the big chest, right? It's cool lookin', and it sells books. So how many books do you sell if you print something that explains that there really is no (unless Atrainer's miracle movement is right) pec iso move, and that all chest work is really just hammering the delts, tris, etc. How many books do you sell? You'd be run out of town. Tarred and feathered.

Sure, presses and flies hit the pec. No brainer. But that's not te full story.

Why do you think all those 7-minute, 6-minute, 6-second ab commercials sell equipment and advocate crunches. 'Cause they can SELL that crap. How many videos do you sell if "6-second Abs" is the 6 seconds in the kitchen when you make the right food choices? We know abs is all nutrition, but nobody would buy that. Same with most fitness books.

Okay, rant over.

Murphy Out.

You are not what you own. dookie1481's Avatar
    dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by zackmurphy
    Easy, tiger. I don't know what books we're talking about, but DB pec flies aren't a pec isolation move.

You can prove this yourself. Do one with one arm with a super-light weight and feel the anterior delt while you do it. Is it soft like warm jello or strong like bull? Bull, baby. Ditto on the medial head. They're both helping. A lot.

Is more pec is involved on the pec fly than in the bench press? Yeah. But nowhere near isolation.
    Strong like bull!! Dude, you kill me.
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

"Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.
    Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

Then how do you explain in Arnolds encyclopedia they are written as a chest isolation move?
    100% ANIMAL

You are not what you own. dookie1481's Avatar
    dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dookie1481 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Then how do you explain in Arnolds encyclopedia they are written as a chest isolation move?
    That book is extremely outdated, amigo. He also advocated squatting w/ your heels on a board to emphasize your quads.
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
    -Abraham Maslow

"Ass busting work + consistency + time = results.
    Burn that into your head and quit looking for quick fixes and secrets. Because they don't exist."
    -Lyle McDonald

"You can't overwhelm idiots with knowledge, but, sadly, the knowledgable can be overwhelmed by idiots."
    -Charlie Francis

no bro i'm not talkin about the one he published in the 70's i'm talkin about his latest one the renewed one where alot of that retarted **** (like squating with a board) is takein out and its only true lifts
    100% ANIMAL

Registered User powerhouse21054's Avatar
    powerhouse21054 is on a distinguished road. (+10) powerhouse21054 is on a distinguished road. (+10) powerhouse21054 is on a distinguished road. (+10) powerhouse21054 is on a distinguished road. (+10) powerhouse21054 is on a distinguished road. (+10) powerhouse21054 is on a distinguished road. (+10) powerhouse21054 is on a distinguished road. (+10) powerhouse21054 is on a distinguished road. (+10) powerhouse21054 is on a distinguished road. (+10) powerhouse21054 is on a distinguished road. (+10) powerhouse21054 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally posted by zackmurphy

ok, going to try to clear some things up. Yes books do say that dumbbell flys are an isolation movement. Also another thing, Yes dumbbell flys use a lot of deltoids, but the bench press does as well. Do a dip and you're shoulder will feel hard too, same with a bench press. Delts will be used a lot in any pressing movement and will not feel mushy unless your fat, but that's not the point. With the chest there really are no exercises that can be strictly worded isolation because no matter what you'll find yourself using shoulders or triceps. Flys are considered isolation by many though because you take out the use of your triceps and it targets your chest and yes your delts.

If you want to get all technical, you can't isolate anything. Even doing preacher curls, your triceps are the antagonist. Are you working your tricep to death? nope, but it's there stabilizing, therefore being worked, and therefore your biceps aren't being the ONLY 100% thing being worked. This discussion is almost too stupid to be discussed and there was no point in it being brought up whether it's isolation or not. He just wanted to know if they are ok in his routine. If he likes them, he likes them. if he doesn't, then he doesn't. I would take the BASIC movements though first. Flat, incline, and dips.
    6' 245
    50 chest, 19 arms, 18 calves, 29 quads, 57 shoulders.

you gotta eat big to get big

Registered User powerhouse21054's Avatar
    powerhouse21054 is on a distinguished road. (+10) powerhouse21054 is on a distinguished road. (+10) powerhouse21054 is on a distinguished road. (+10) powerhouse21054 is on a distinguished road. (+10) powerhouse21054 is on a distinguished road. (+10) powerhouse21054 is on a distinguished road. (+10) powerhouse21054 is on a distinguished road. (+10) powerhouse21054 is on a distinguished road. (+10) powerhouse21054 is on a distinguished road. (+10) powerhouse21054 is on a distinguished road. (+10) powerhouse21054 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally posted by ATrainer
    Oh, you new this was comming. The reason DB flys aren't very good is that you lose all the resistance at the top, right where you should be peaked. Pretty much the same with all other presses.
    Since i'm at it, i want to discuss this quote. You lose resistance at the top meaning you're not feeling the stretch on the pecs at the top as you do in the bottom position? or are you saying that your pecs aren't resisting anything at the top period? If you are saying the second, then you are wrong. If you bring your arms to the top together and you are holding a weight, your chest is being used. Yes your chest won't feel it as much at the top but that's the same as when you do a barbell bench. Complete a barbell bench press and you'll feel the weight coming down and the slight stretch at the bottom before you press up, but when you lock out, it doesn't "FEEL" as heavy does it. Are you still resisting a weight though? yep. You never really lose resistance in between reps when doing a movement even when locked out. You are still holding the weight. However, when doing most exercises you shouldn't be locking anything out anyways so you are working the muscle. Unless you are purposely doing lockout movements for bench presses and the such.
    6' 245
    50 chest, 19 arms, 18 calves, 29 quads, 57 shoulders.

you gotta eat big to get big

trap_builder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

So if you loose resistance at the top then why not limit the ROM a bit to keep the tension?

Mr. hyperextension must be really really mad with all these new threads bashing the classical mass building exercises, hahaha
    Being Full Is No Reason Not To Eat