SteelyD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteelyD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Weak Sacroiliac Joint and Powerlifting

Hi -

My S.I. joint flares up a couple times a year whether I'm lifting, or jogging, or opening a refridgerator door. Sometimes after long car trips, etc. I've historically had a weak right S.I., and is always in the back of my mind, especially during my 5x5 program.

Well, Friday, it gave while I was down in a deep squat. Went to chiropractor and had my T5, ilium, and right knee adjusted. Very interesting was some of the tests he did as far as challenging muscle groups to find the weakness. He showed that my left oblique abs were weaker than the right (I think sports chiropractic/eccentric kinesiology is fascinating).

I'll be out for a few days resting up then backing up about a month in my program to come up to weight again.

Anyone else frustrated with a weak S.I., hip, or lower back ligature?

Any suggestions for strengthening?

thx
    -SD

guitarlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) guitarlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) guitarlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) guitarlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) guitarlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) guitarlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) guitarlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) guitarlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) guitarlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) guitarlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) guitarlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I can sympathize. My back, especially my left SI joint, is weird. One day It'll feel great and I'll go real heavy on SLDs no problem. Other times it will flare up for no apparent reason, or go out doing the littlest thing like getting up from the couch. In the past I've thought it didn't really matter if I was lifting or not, it's like it "needed" to get hurt every 3-4 months. For me, squats bother it the most. I haven't back-squated in about 1.5 years, and my back has been alot better. Also, I think sprints have helped out. Sprinting works alot of little muscles in your hips and abs that very few lifting exercises can, and (IMO) really stabalizes the hip-low back region. I'd love to get squating heavy again, but I'm gunshy and honestly it's nice not having as much back pain on a daily basis.
    Just trying to keep my body from falling apart

lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz
    I suffered a Grade 3 sprain of the SI a little over a year ago and I still feel the effects of it. Does your problem stem from a pelvic inclination? If so, you're going to have a significant strength imbalance between your right and left side and you're not going to fully heal until you address it properly.

The best way to rehab it is to devote a significant amount of time to single leg exercises. This is the method I followed and with regular chiropractic care, I'm stronger than ever http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=473323

It is going to take time, but given proper rehab, you'll be back stronger than ever.
    Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous. So are cowardice and intelligence.

SteelyD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteelyD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    lhprop -

Thanks for that info. Those assists look like great strengthers.

I do think that the weakness stems from pelvic tilt, at least I'm interpreting that as being my right side being just a hair lower because my right leg is slightly shorter. I think that mechanical disadvantage will always be there.

I'm going to ask him Monday at my follow up whether an orthotic device in my right sneaker will help.

In general, if one has a weak side, my left obliques for instance, would I add more reps to my assistance exercises to that side to try to bring it up to strength? I guess same question for the leg exercises in the link above?

Thanks again, nice to know I'm not the only guy out there with a 'tweaked' pelvis!
    Last edited by SteelyD; 05-08-2007 at 04:33 PM.

lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz
    Do both sides equally. You don't want to exacerbate the strength imbalance by training one side more than the other to "let it catch up". You will feel a distinct difference in the level of difficulty and balance between each side when you begin, but gradually, you'll even out.

Once you've corrected the strength imbalance, do not neglect single leg work. It will keep you healthy and continue making you stronger.
    Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous. So are cowardice and intelligence.

Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Try to find a massage therapist who specializes in trigger point. It has helped me a lot.
    I am not trying to be better than you, just better than myself
    BB jiu jitsu team 2009