Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    fleshmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fleshmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fleshmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fleshmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fleshmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fleshmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fleshmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fleshmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fleshmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fleshmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fleshmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Golfer's Elbow / Medial Epicondylitis / Inner Elbow Tendon Pain

So only 6 weeks into my workout regimen, I began to have some pain in my right elbow tendon. I was terrified that just after I'd begun to get results, that I'd have to lay off for a while. I was not keen to that, although each person should make a decision based on their personal pain.

If you do have inner elbow pain in the tendon, do not ignore it! Go light for a while until you find a way to work around it, work through it and ultimately alleviate it. The 'no pain, no gain' saying does not apply to injury.

I bought a pair of grippers, that helped alleviate 80% of my pain almost instantly, just by working out the opposite end of the connected muscle. It's two-fold, as strengthening my grip and forearms, it prevents over-extension of the tendon. A wrist-supporting glove is also ideal. A NSAI (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory) can help ease the discomfort initially, but don't rely on that to mask the hurt you feel.

I worked around it as well, lightening loads on lifts that irritated it such as skullcrushers. I threw in additional workouts such as a cable pulldown for tri's to compensate for the lighter skullcrushers.

I feel much, much better, and feel that I caught it early enough to work through. Your situation may differ, but always listen to your body when it tells you something is wrong.

Check out About.com's Article on Golfer's Elbow below for good info on available treatments, etc.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/elbo...lferselbow.htm

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm repping you for trying to help others!
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

fleshmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fleshmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fleshmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fleshmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fleshmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fleshmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fleshmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fleshmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fleshmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fleshmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fleshmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
    I'm repping you for trying to help others!
    Thanks man!

Also anybody with similar experiences? What helped?

I pretty much need to avoid pushups altogether although strangely, when I do them knuckled I do not feel anything.

I feel it agitate when doing open palm - it feels like sand trickling down the arm, and then hurts later.

bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thank you!

edit- here's another article i found: http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/elbow/a/elbow3.htm
    Last edited by bango skank; 07-03-2007 at 08:13 AM.
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166936131

smuuthbro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Okay, so I'm not crazy

I'm going to see the orthopedic doc tomorrow. I was diagnosed with ME in May, but was only given Naproxen and a pat on the butt (joke) as they sent me on my way. It still occasionally hurts while walking and swinging my arms normally. I hope there is no nerve damage (if that is possible).

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    hrmm
    i play golf heaps but i dont think i get "golf elbow"
    i definitely get tennis elbow.. on serves and especially as i suck at tennis and rarely hit the sweet spot, the speed and force hitting the ball sends pain all through my elbow and i generally cant do any press or elbow bending movements for the next few days.. had it for years (i just dont play tennis anymore)
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

--update--

The forearm grip really did help alleviate some immediate pain. It seems, though, that this bum tendon is a bother that won't completely go away.

It's funny, an older brother of mine (he is 33 now) used to lift often, and had the same problem with the same tendon! So I wonder if it's possibly congenital.

At any rate, I am now able to do pushups again - I am mindful and aware of that tendon, and it does flare up after rigorous chest exercises (seems that when my elbow is at 90 degree angle under load is when it happens). I take a dose of NSAIDs after my workout. I added TKE Joint Boost to my supplement array as well.

I would say the two biggest things that helped me were 1] warming up the tricep with low-weight high-rep and 2] the forearm grip.

I'm still considering seeing a doctor, that perhaps a couple cortisone injections could alleviate the problem entirely.
    Bulked to 220 / 21.3% BF

Cutting:
    (bodyfat & LBM estimate from self-caliper)
    06-12: 220lbs.
    07-16: 213lbs.
    08-05: 209lbs.
    08-20: 206lbs.
    09-10: 202lbs.
    09-19: 200lbs.

heavy lifting hiatus:
    inguinal hernia: repaired!!!
    ***fcuk this hurts tho! In recovery for about a month**
    (curling 15 in bed on vicodin lol)

Rob72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rob72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rob72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rob72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rob72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rob72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rob72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rob72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rob72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rob72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah i had the same pain for a while. I shattered my left elbow and it hurt insanely bad when i did like skull crushers or dips or pull ups or reverse grip pull downs.

so i went back to my orthopedic surgeon and she gave me this brace kinda thing for tennis elbow but she said put it on backwards or different (its kinda hard to explain without showing you). This helped the pain just sitting there but then when i started lifting the same old pain came back, so i started going lighter and worked up from there.

Then I started to do forearm and wrist exercises and that helped a lot and now i have virtually no pain what so ever. it still hurts when i do a lot of weight on reverse grip pull downs.

If this helps anyone with their pain your welcome.
    June 14-2007 - 175 Pounds 16% body fat

Goal: 200 - 10% body fat

Bench: 225-3
    Squat: 315-3
    Dead Lift: 405-1

lokerman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lokerman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey I've had this elbow pain for a long time, also worst at 90 degrees doing skullcrushers(haven't done them for a long time). I haven't gotten better though, even staying light.

ROB72, could you tell me what some of those wrist and forearm exercises were that helped? I think I'll try those.

bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by lokerman View Post
    could you tell me what some of those wrist and forearm exercises were that helped? I think I'll try those.
    you'll find some exercises here:
    http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/tennis_elbow/

but i would think that any forearm/wrist exercises would be beneficial.
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I need to write an article on this subject. I treat this condition fairly regularly with GREAT success. So what's my secret? Though it's not really a secret - Active Release Technique! I've used ART and stretching (and the patient stretches on their own) and have alleviated this condition in many people. I'm NOT saying to brag, it is not me that's healing them. I'm simply trying to educate you guys to the pros of ART. For most gym/type injuries it is incredible! If you're like me, you'd rather try something conservative and noninvasive first before trying drugs or surgery.

So if you're lucky enough to have an ART provider near by, give it a shot!
    Dr Clay Hyght, DC, CSCS, CISSN
    www.DrClay.com

www.Labrada.com

Labrada Nutrition: "The Most Trusted Name in Sports Nutrition!"

The above is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be used as medical advice. Always consult your doctor prior to beginning any new diet, supplementation, or exercise program.

Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    BTW, once your condition is cleared up, maintenance stretching (which your ART practitioner should show you) will keep it from coming back. Of my patients who kept their stretching up after the fact, not one relapse.
    Dr Clay Hyght, DC, CSCS, CISSN
    www.DrClay.com

www.Labrada.com

Labrada Nutrition: "The Most Trusted Name in Sports Nutrition!"

The above is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be used as medical advice. Always consult your doctor prior to beginning any new diet, supplementation, or exercise program.

smuuthbro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

An update. Went back to the doc (cause my boss was making fun of me..."waaah, cry baby"). The sent me to physical therapy, gave me a steroid patch and ice treatment to be done more next week. Just that one treatment stopped a searing pain from nowhere that shot up my arm, waking me up at night. Yeah. I went back to the gym yesterday and lifted light. Felt just a little pain for a min, but otherwise, mentally i felt very good.

Originally Posted by Dr Clay View Post
    BTW, once your condition is cleared up, maintenance stretching (which your ART practitioner should show you) will keep it from coming back. Of my patients who kept their stretching up after the fact, not one relapse.
    Interesting - is ART similar to Myofascial Release?
    Bulked to 220 / 21.3% BF

Cutting:

heavy lifting hiatus:

Originally Posted by smuuthbro View Post
    An update. Went back to the doc (cause my boss was making fun of me..."waaah, cry baby"). The sent me to physical therapy, gave me a steroid patch and ice treatment to be done more next week. Just that one treatment stopped a searing pain from nowhere that shot up my arm, waking me up at night. Yeah. I went back to the gym yesterday and lifted light. Felt just a little pain for a min, but otherwise, mentally i felt very good.
    Cool keep us updated!
    Bulked to 220 / 21.3% BF

Cutting:

heavy lifting hiatus:

brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000)
    bump

i've had this problem for 2 years on both arms in both tendons (medial and lateral) and am considering getting the steroid shots next week, tried different types of physio with no results, any updates/more info here?

EDIT: to the OP, whats a forearm grip?
    Last edited by brake; 09-02-2007 at 09:57 AM.
    If abs are made in the kitchen how come hardly any women have them?

veritas vos liberabit NumberTwentyTwo's Avatar
    NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I developed this over the last week in my left elbow, I first noticed it doing pushups, then also in certain tricep and shoulder movements. I took about 4 days off since then and have iced it a good amount. I tried some lightweight tricep extentions today and it seemed ok but I did feel some cracking in the elbow when I straightened it all the way...and also felt like I was starting to aggrivate it again.

So I'm going crazy but Ill take more days off. Im gonna take some anti-inflamatories and I also ordered some Cissus today, Im sure that plus another week or so of rest will help. If it doesnt Ill go nuts!

brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by NumberTwentyTwo View Post
    I developed this over the last week in my left elbow, I first noticed it doing pushups, then also in certain tricep and shoulder movements. I took about 4 days off since then and have iced it a good amount. I tried some lightweight tricep extentions today and it seemed ok but I did feel some cracking in the elbow when I straightened it all the way...and also felt like I was starting to aggrivate it again.

So I'm going crazy but Ill take more days off. Im gonna take some anti-inflamatories and I also ordered some Cissus today, Im sure that plus another week or so of rest will help. If it doesnt Ill go nuts!
    whats cissus?

NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/usp/super.html

Ive had 2 serguries on my knee and one on my shoulder. Certain time I would get pain and weakness in the joints; message, chiropractor, physical therapy, ect never could help, I tried Cissus about 6 months ago and I was basically healed within 3 days. No joke.

Originally Posted by NumberTwentyTwo View Post
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/usp/super.html

Ive had 2 serguries on my knee and one on my shoulder. Certain time I would get pain and weakness in the joints; message, chiropractor, physical therapy, ect never could help, I tried Cissus about 6 months ago and I was basically healed within 3 days. No joke.
    thanks looks good. but it says it helps deliver nutrients to tendons? does that mean you ned to take an extra colagen supplement or something as well? or just nutrients in general?

Originally Posted by brake View Post
    thanks looks good. but it says it helps deliver nutrients to tendons? does that mean you ned to take an extra colagen supplement or something as well? or just nutrients in general?
    I just took the Cissus, thats all
    Last edited by NumberTwentyTwo; 09-04-2007 at 07:52 PM.

I need to write an article on this subject. I treat this condition fairly regularly with GREAT success. So what's my secret? Though it's not really a secret - Active Release Technique! I've used ART and stretching (and the patient stretches on their own) and have alleviated this condition in many people. I'm NOT saying to brag, it is not me that's healing them. I'm simply trying to educate you guys to the pros of ART. For most gym/type injuries it is incredible! If you're like me, you'd rather try something conservative and noninvasive first before trying drugs or surgery.

Do you have a copy or link to that article?

There is an ART chiropractor near me, Im gonna check into them if this isnt feeling better within a few weeks

jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jawter is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by brake View Post
    whats cissus?

Below is some general info..... For more specific information to your question try googling "Cissus natural herbal remedies"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cissus

Cissus is a genus of approximately 350 species of woody climber in the grape family (Vitaceae). They have a cosmopolitan distribution, though the majority are to be found in the tropics.

Among the commonest species, Cissus antarctica and Cissus rhombifolia are garden plants. Cissus striata is a woody wine native from South America, mainly from Chile.

Cissus species are used as food plants by the larvae of some Lepidoptera species including Hypercompe eridanus and Hypercompe icasia.
    Last edited by jawter; 09-04-2007 at 08:17 PM.

g85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) g85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) g85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) g85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) g85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) g85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) g85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) g85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) g85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) g85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) g85 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I've seen you mention that before. can you give me any insight on ART or the kinds of stretches you would recommend.

I have the dreaded golfers elbow--Doc said. keep working the muscle but with ligher weights. The pain is the worst on presses...he said Ice it after the work out for 20 minutes and take 3 reg strength ibeprofen every 4 hours ..do this for 2 weeks and the pain should be mostly gone. it isn't. he then suggested cortisone shots.

This really sucks. I can lift through the pain though...is there risk of further injury if I do that?

I'm have a burgeoning golfer's elbow wiki article here:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...F_Tennis_Elbow

Feel free to contibute!
    -Don Vito Corleone

g85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) g85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) g85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) g85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) g85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) g85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) g85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) g85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) g85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) g85 is on a distinguished road. (+10) g85 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by bango skank View Post
    I'm have a burgeoning golfer's elbow wiki article here:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...F_Tennis_Elbow

Feel free to contibute!
    Nice article ..thanks! damn I so do not want to stop weight training for 6 weeks! lol crap!

AP81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had both tennis and golfers elbow in both arms for 7 years. I've got it to a point where I can pretty much do any exercise without hurting.

I've found that the best way to tackle the problem is forearm strength. Do more exercises that don't lift weight whilst bending your arm.

Try these:
    deadlifts
    heavy dumbell/barbell shrugs
    hammer curls
    lat pulldowns (pronated grip)
    tricep pushdowns (keep palms open when doing these)
    tricep kick-backs

You should be able to do most of these pain free. Watch the hammer curls though...start light. Also make sure you grip everything with your thumb over the bar (i.e. beside your index finger). This directs less force to your elbow.

Don't bother with cortisone. A complete waste of time. If you're going to get any injections, get prolotherapy.

iori_del has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) iori_del has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) iori_del has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) iori_del has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) iori_del has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    any operation/surgery to cure this once and for all?

AP81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    um, yes and no.

Tennis/golfer's elbow surgery is kind of a 50/50 stab. You should only go down this path if it is debilitating and you've had no improvement after at least one year of physio. Surgery sometimes work, but a lot of the time you end up back to square one. Is it worth it...no!

IMO, stretching, massage + prolotherapy is the best treatment. You may not ever get 100% recovery, but 90% recovery and being able to continue training is a far better option as I see it.

el6uap0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been struggling with both golfer's and tennis elbow for a while. My understanding is that tennis elbow is on the outside of the elbow and golfer's is on the inside of the elbow. Interestingly I had pretty severe tennis elbow on my right arm and golfer's on my left. I don't play tennis OR golf.

Over time, the tennis elbow in my right arm has gone away and I now have golfer's elbow in both. My doctor has recommended rest, ice, and anti-inflammatories. Like an idiot, I just suffer through it. I have three workout partners with whom I workout regularly. Rest will only slow me down!

So I go a little lighter on lifts that irritate my elbows - the two things that hurt the most are barbell curls and chinups. I can go lighter on the curls, but the chinups are just plain heavy

I have found daily use of glucosamine and fish oil along with ice to be a pretty good remedy and it keeps me working out.