Bluebie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What does sitting alot do to you?

Me and my friend were talking about this, and we couldnt find anything on the net that answers this question. So maybe somebody here can answer. Does sitting alot during the day make your butt bigger? your hips wider? your butt more fat? your thighs more fat? your thighs more big?
    That was the question at hand...my friend spends like 98% of the day sitting down (between school, playing video games, tv, movies, reading, etc.). So what effects are there? She's only 18 so she still has metabolism going for her...i hear that women never really get big or chubby butts/thighs until at least mid 20's. We pretty much got into this debate because she put on some pounds and most of it seemed to go to her hips and butt, she measured and her waist is 28 and hips are 40. So we got into the debate of 'maybe it's getting bigger cause you are sitting for a long time!' lol and it spiraled off into a huge arguement.

Anyway, any comments or answers to this question would be appreciated

-={I Lift Because I Can}= oStarGazerXVII's Avatar
    oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Well part may be due to general lacking in physical activity- get active! There is minimal tissue shifting through the day based on positioning, and if you're kind of pressing yourself into a 'sitting mold' there may be a possibility that any excess weight is kind of filled into specific areas. I don't know what kind of water that theory would hold, but I'll stick to the original statement that ANY physical activity on a regular basis would be tremendously beneficial ^_^
    "The Fitness Insight-" www.geocities.com/ostargazerxvii

"As far as I know, I'll only be here once. I might as well make it a good experience"

AIM- oStarGazerXVII

bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Lightbulb sitting and fat

if you are really worried about it...... sit in a chair that is a molded into the shape a really nice ass...... lol

Hmm that's an intresting theory, I was thinking about that too.... maybe even gravity has something to do with it, and since the most gravity is being pressured down on the butt, that's where the excess fat goes. Hmm...could be...need to get some proof or professional intervention to answer it though hehe.
    She did say she does 30 push ups a day, and walks to and from the bus stop lol

Any other thoughts on this?

Re: sitting and fat

Originally posted by bubba g
    if you are really worried about it...... sit in a chair that is a molded into the shape a really nice ass...... lol
    lmao
    Well, again this is not me, i myself am 22 and in the military, so i do plenty of exercises (though if i was a civilian i would probably be just as lazy lol)

I bet there are crazy mad scientist products out there too that are chairs that you can sit in that will mold your ass into the perfect shape....lol kind of sounds like a 'the world is flat' theory though lol

Oh and another question, those 'make your butt bigger' ads that are all over the net, do those actually work? Most of them give like certain exercises to do (like squats nstuff), Do they just make your butt bigger yet retain the texture or does the butt get like muscular and hard from doing the exercises. Intresting theory here cause the only reason why the butt gets bigger through the exercises as far as i see, is because the glutos maximus (or however you spell it) the muscles in your ass get bigger. But, i'm wondering if the exercises actually remove the excess butt fat, or just stacks the extra muscle to the butt fat.....hmmmm lol
    Last edited by Bluebie; 04-03-2004 at 06:47 AM.

Teriliel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would imagine that genetics plays the biggest role in where the fat accumulates. I doubt it has anything at all to do with sitting all day.

Just my 2 cents....

trnurbdy48 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Re: sitting and fat

Oh and another question, those 'make your butt bigger' ads that are all over the net, do those actually work? Most of them give like certain exercises to do (like squats nstuff), Do they just make your butt bigger yet retain the texture or does the butt get like muscular and hard from doing the exercises. Intresting theory here cause the only reason why the butt gets bigger through the exercises as far as i see, is because the glutos maximus (or however you spell it) the muscles in your ass get bigger. But, i'm wondering if the exercises actually remove the excess butt fat, or just stacks the extra muscle to the butt fat.....hmmmm lol

You are too funny! LOL Great post my dear! I've never seen an ad for a "Bigger Butt Thing" but I would assume it's more useless hype like............."Get a Six-Pack in 6 Seconds"!!.........what this ad doesn't tell you is that the guy lives above a liquor store. When you perform exercises that target the Gluteus (now you know how to spell it!) Maximus/Medius, such as the squat, weighted hyperextensions and the all too famous "Butt Blaster", your're increasing the muscle fiber (Hypertrophy), which in and of itself has a "Lifting" effect. However, if there is excess body fat in this, or any other region for that matter, the results will not be as visible. So, if you want to get that "Bigger Butt" you have to lose the fat through diet and exercise. I hope this has helped!
    Last edited by trnurbdy48; 04-03-2004 at 07:04 AM.
    Laurie-NASM-ACE-CPT/BS Kinesiology

Every kick in the ass is a step forward

Ahh, thank you for the response . I don't quite understand how it wouldnt be visible since it seems like at the least the added muscle mass in the butt would...'push outward' so to speak.

Oh and here is one of the websites just to let you know
    http://www.fitstep.com/Advanced/Ques...igger-butt.htm

Wondering more so if these exercises harden your butt or just make it bigger with the same texture...

I said "As visible". And, thanks for the link, I'll take a peek!

Yep, all of the exercises that this sight is "selling" will definately "Build you Butt". But, (of course that was intended), anyone on this message board can give you a "Bigger Butt" routine for free. But, you'll have to ask...................

Ahh thanks I don't know if it's something i'm intrested in doing though, i'm kind of in shape...though was thinking i might look a little better with a bigger more toned butt... here's some pics of me (and no they aren't bodybuilding type-pics cause i'm not really a bodybuilder lol, these are the only ones i have though)

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/bluegothgrl/wha.JPG
    http://mywebpage.netscape.com/bluego...om_tha_bak.JPG

Either way i really love these forums and will probably spend more time here, been looking around alot, didn't know bodybuilding was such a huge deal hehe.
    Last edited by Bluebie; 04-03-2004 at 07:29 AM.

Originally posted by Teriliel
    I would imagine that genetics plays the biggest role in where the fat accumulates. I doubt it has anything at all to do with sitting all day.

Just my 2 cents....
    You're probably right. I guess the question at hand is 'Does sitting/standing position effect where on the body fat distributes to?' sounds like a science project to me lol.

Either way i really love these forums and will probably spend more time here, been looking around alot, didn't know bodybuilding was such a huge deal hehe.

LOL Of course, you didn't intend that pun! You're adorable! What is it exactly you want to achieve? You're in the Army? So you get a great W/O daily, I'm sure. Let us know your goal and the very knowledgeable women on this board will be more than happy to offer suggestions. Some questions first though....

1. Again, what are your goals?
    2. What is your height, weight, and BF% if you know it
    3. What is your daily diet - calorie intake (Approximately)
    4. Do you have any possible postural distortions (ie: do your knees abduct (turn in), adduct (turn out), any pain or weakness in your lumbo-pelvic-hip region (bewteen your abs and your knees), do you feel pain or soreness in your upper body (shoulders, lats, traps, neck).

These are important questions, I know they're personal! But, if you have any pain in any portion of your body (at your age and the fact that you're in the service, I would assume you have no problems) then corrective flexibilty should be the first step in ANY exercise plan. So, if you want to answer any or all of these question, it would give everone here an idea of what to suggest.

Ahh hmm, i never really thought about a program...lets see

1. Again, what are your goals?
    Hard to say, i guess to get a better form to my butt, like bigger, but not like all muscley and hard....never thought that look looks good hehe. Also to gain strength in my arms, and to get in shape so i could like, say, play a game of full court bastketball and not be winded lol.

2. What is your height, weight, and BF% if you know it
    height 5'10", weight 135, no idea what my BF% is (how do i find that out?)

3. What is your daily diet - calorie intake (Approximately)
    I don't watch my diet really...usually fast food and microwavable stuff. Hey it tastes good, it's acquired fast (i have little time), and really i have seen no concequences from eating like that (probably just cause of my age, eventually i will have to cut down though i'm sure lol)

4. Do you have any possible postural distortions (ie: do your knees abduct (turn in), adduct (turn out), any pain or weakness in your lumbo-pelvic-hip region (bewteen your abs and your knees), do you feel pain or soreness in your upper body (shoulders, lats, traps, neck). nope

Ahh, the metabolism of youth! Wow, 5'10" and 135! That's great! Trouble is, you can be at ideal weight but at the same time you can have a high BF ratio. I'm 5'6", 123-125 with 12% BF. This is low. I'm a died in the wool body builder. "Normal" range for a female your age is between 21-25%, anything above is considered "Overweight". You can obtain a BF measurement from a CPT (certified personal trainer) or maybe someone on base would have access to a calibrator. Calibration is fairly accurate. Now, on to your diet..........I won't even touch that one! I'm not a nutritionist. But, by what you've stated your diet is obviously not condusive to optimum body composition. High fat, sodium, carbohydrates. If you want to improve overall compostition, your diet will have to be modified to include more protein, fewer simple carbohydrates (sugar, starch ets.), (complex carbs are fine - ie: fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes....peanuts are a legume, not a nut). Reduce saturated fat (any fat that hardens at room temp.) You want to include unsaturated fats though.......Olive oil, nuts, etc. And most importantly, Water! 96oz (3 quarts) per day is optimum. I drink at least a gallon every day. Again, I'm not a nutritionist. I'm not advising you. These are just basics.

Bottom line is. If you want to begin a w/o program that will increase lean body mass and perhaps lead youinto more of a hypertrophy (mass building) program, you've taken the first step by posting here. You should talk to trainers, go to a gym (there's one on base, yes?). This site offers tons of information on body building. Enire work-outs, descriptions of exercises...........you name it, it's here! I hope I've been of some help. Keep posting. And more people will offer great suggestions!

-={I Lift Because I Can}= oStarGazerXVII's Avatar
    oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250) oStarGazerXVII has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm going to relay what my nutitionist and I discuss, seeing as anything pertaining to human physical and mental health is fascinating to me- one step at a time. If it's as little as choosing small fries over Biggie sized, that's a victory to her and to her clients. In my case I had the fortitude and resolve to go cold turkey on poor habits because of my circumstances, but obviously not everyone can (or really needs to) do that.

She also did say another thing that was of particular interest- There's no such thing as a 'bad food.' It's more a measure of what your body needs, and when. The thing is that a diet heavy on fast food and microwavables is that it's probably nutrient deficient, and thus eating "healthy" would be to reintroduce said nutrients. She pointed out to me that in the condition I easily maintain myself at, my body now knows what to do with pretty much whatever I put into it. As long as I don't say start eating large amounts all at once, dropping meals at certain times, and keep up my ample exercise, a candy bar and soda here and there will do absolutely nothing- and just might be psychologically positive

And with eating a nutrient rich diet in the proper proportions- Your taste buds adapt! Just like with anything else, the body changes to what it's asked to do. I've found that while a chocolate chip cookie is a nice treat once in a while, my stomach will want to reject any significant quantity of it; I literally don't LIKE to eat more than say a half a cookie during an entire day. My body has learned how to tell me what i need and when..

My nutritionist calls it a refined set of skills to tune and read your body as such, and most will never have it- which is by no means a bad thing. However, it's always rewarding to look back and say "Hey, i did this all for ME, and look where I am today"

^_^ Good luck!
    "The Fitness Insight-" www.geocities.com/ostargazerxvii

"As far as I know, I'll only be here once. I might as well make it a good experience"

AIM- oStarGazerXVII

Re: What does sitting alot do to you?

Originally posted by Bluebie
    Me and my friend were talking about this, and we couldnt find anything on the net that answers this question. So maybe somebody here can answer. Does sitting alot during the day make your butt bigger? your hips wider? your butt more fat? your thighs more fat? your thighs more big?
    That was the question at hand...my friend spends like 98% of the day sitting down (between school, playing video games, tv, movies, reading, etc.). So what effects are there? She's only 18 so she still has metabolism going for her...i hear that women never really get big or chubby butts/thighs until at least mid 20's. We pretty much got into this debate because she put on some pounds and most of it seemed to go to her hips and butt, she measured and her waist is 28 and hips are 40. So we got into the debate of 'maybe it's getting bigger cause you are sitting for a long time!' lol and it spiraled off into a huge arguement.

Anyway, any comments or answers to this question would be appreciated
    Any more theories on this?

bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bubba g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Re: Re: What does sitting alot do to you?

Originally posted by Bluebie
    Any more theories on this?
    If any excersize will add mass to your ass, it is squats.......
    another one that is good is....... stiff legged deadlifts
    I know some people who had to stop doing squats cause their ass was getting too big......

in the pics you sent it is hard to tell but it looks as though you have a decent amount if junk in the trunk...lol..in a good way.....

Barbell Full Squat

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...cle=Quadriceps

Stiff-Legged Barbell Deadlift

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exer...cle=Lower+Back

also if your goal is to be able to play a game of full cort basketball without getting too winded and you don't have alot of time... then 20 minutes of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) 3 times a week is probably a good idea.... if you are healthy.... as always check with a doctor first....

http://bodybuilding.com/cgi-bin/perl...lang=en&q=HIIT

there are a bunch of good articles above on HIIT....

K now if you do the above things, in combination with the
    "ass chair" you will be lookin like J lo in no time....lol....good luck..

AriesTaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

theory

Here's a theory a theory:

I think that maybe it has something to do with the constant compression. Maybe your body gives extra cushion to parts of the body that support alot of weight, kinda like the bottom of your feet. I know there are contraptions out there that try to increase breast size by that method. I don't know if it works or if a woman would wear a device to bind her breasts down long enough to see results if it did.

AriesTaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

theory

Here's a theory:

I think that maybe it has something to do with the constant compression. Maybe your body gives extra cushion to parts of the body that support alot of weight, kinda like the bottom of your feet. I know there are contraptions out there that try to increase breast size by that method. I don't know if it works or if a woman would wear a device to bind her breasts down long enough to see results if it did.