rambo508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rambo508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rambo508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Seal Pft

Want To Be A SEAL - Or Just Look Like One

Does the thought of jumping out of planes, scuba diving, and backpacking for miles excite you? Judging from the number of e-mails I've received asking about the training of the U.S. Navy SEALS and other Special Forces groups in the military, some of you are intrigued by such prospects.

Getting accepted into these groups requires a motivated person -- not only physically fit, but also mentally tough and quick thinking. Here is the physical fitness test for the Navy SEALS' training program, known as BUD/S (Basic Underwater Demolition/SEALs). Are you up to it?

-- Swim 500 yards. Maximum time allowed is 12 minutes, 30 seconds -- but to be competitive, you should swim the distance in at least 8 to 9 minutes, utilizing only the side or breast stroke. Recommended workout and training tips: Get technique training and learn to pace yourself. Try five to 10 sets of 100-yard swims, working on a pace that will get you below the competitive times. (Rest 10 minutes before moving on to the next exercise.)

-- Max push-ups. Minimum number is 42 in 2 minutes, but you should shoot for at least 100 for an average score. Do not pace yourself. Push as many push-ups out as fast as you can, but do not neglect proper form or the SEAL instructor will not count them. Try five sets of 30 seconds worth of maximum push-ups. Work your way up to five sets of 1 minute of maximum push-ups. (Rest 2 minutes, then move on to the next step.)

-- Max sit-ups. Minimum number is 52 in 2 minutes, but you should strive for at least 90 to 100 in 2 minutes for an average score. PACE yourself! Try doing 20 to 30 sit-ups in 30 seconds; that will put you within the 80-to-100-sit-ups range for 2 minutes. Try five sets of 30 seconds each, shooting for your goal pace. Shoot for five sets of 1 minute at your goal pace. (Rest 2 minutes.)

-- Max pull-ups. Minimum is eight with no time limit, but you cannot touch the ground or let go of the bar. You should be able to do 15 to 20 to be competitive. Try a pyramid of pull-ups: work your way up from one pull-up the first set until you can no longer do any more sets, then return down the pyramid repeating in reverse order (1,2,3,4,5,6,5,4,3,2,1). (Rest 10 minutes before plunging into the last exercise.)

-- 1.5-mile run. Wearing boots and pants, the maximum time allowed for this one is 11 minutes, 30 seconds, but you should be able to cover the distance in 9 to 10 minutes to be competitive. Pace yourself: do not start off too fast on the first lap. Shoot for a 90-seconds quarter-mile run time around a standard high school track. Repeat this pace for six to 10 sets until you no longer have to rest in between quarter-miles.

There is very little difference in the type of person who joins the Army Green Berets, Marine RECON, Air Force Pararescue Jumpers, or Navy SEALs. There is one main thing that all of the Special Forces units have in common: Minimum standards are ignored, and they always push themselves to their maximum physical effort.

Remember, the BUD/s PFT is a tough workout. As with any workout, if you know you're not up to it, don't try it; if you have doubts, consult your physician.
    With any download you buy you get over 40 hours of training personally designed for future students of the group AND access to Stew Smith (the author) for any answers to your training questions!!
    "Hardcore" isn't something you can really define. You can't see it, feel it, or taste it. You can't buy it, borrow it, or lend it to a friend. Hardcore is a mentality that exists only in the mind. Through our passions, wants and desires, a hardcore attitude must prevail. The type of a attitude that says "give me your best f***** shot, because I'll f*** you up twice as hard if you try." It is a no-quitting state of mind, the type of mentality that only true warriors can hope to posses.

Second place is first loser.
    The more you sweat in peace time - the less you bleed in war.

The only easy day was...Yesterday!
    Were not that good, it's just everyone else sucks!
    -U.S. Navy SEALs! Hoo-Yah!

DoubleUps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    seals are full of themselfs

***Misc Ikariam Crue*** morgansd12's Avatar
    morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Keep in mind the run is the very last evolution in this test. It is after the swim, pull-ups push -ups etc... with only a few minutes break between. Oh yeah...and you get to run to the running location . Don't train with boots on for running. Do it only when you have to. Like during the test. If your a good swimmer...the swim is EASY, so relax and take your time and let your arms do as much as possible while you "rest" your legs. The run is punishing after that swim.

And good luck. You probably won't make it, so have a good back up plan.

SomeGuy54321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Definately don't run in boots. I wanted to be hardcore so i'd do all my 3-4 mile runs in steel-toe, hightop leather boots & got shin splints like you wouldn't believe!

Question, if anyone comes here anymore, are the SEAL motivational classes you go to during boot camp good enough so that someone who might just be barely able to meet requirements would be able to after boot?

***Misc Ikariam Crue*** morgansd12's Avatar
    morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) morgansd12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by SomeGuy54321
    Definately don't run in boots. I wanted to be hardcore so i'd do all my 3-4 mile runs in steel-toe, hightop leather boots & got shin splints like you wouldn't believe!

Question, if anyone comes here anymore, are the SEAL motivational classes you go to during boot camp good enough so that someone who might just be barely able to meet requirements would be able to after boot?
    You would really be pushing the bottom of the envelope. When you get to BUD/S, until hell week at least....you will be getting beat down. That means you may not be able to continue to qualify on your run/swim times as your body deteriorates, that is if you are starting out barely above passing times.

The workouts in boot are about 1/3 of a day at BUDS.

I was there and washed out in 2000, and it seemed to me that the whole thing had become about running. I thouht I could just be a tough guy and suffer through whatever....but that is wrong. Plain and simple you have to beat the run/swim times by a good minute and a half or you will not be able to do so when you are tired, injured, worn-out, cold and at risk of being dropped. Which they won't hesitate to do.

morphicus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Seals

Personally I think the Royal Marine Commandos are the best fighting force in the world.
    Mind you I am biased I was one for 12 years ( weapons and Tactics Instructor)

Look into them on a google search and the fitness tests.

Also the The Commando phase and tests to earn your Green Beret.
    Tarzan assault course, 9 mile speed march with kit and rifle, Assault course and the tough 30 mile speed march with full fighting equipment and safety bergans.
    Only run in boots when you have to and use sorbothane insoles.
    But remember "its not the size of the man in the fight but the size of the fight in the man"
    Age 36/height 5ft11"
    Weight- 200lb
    Pull down 231lb
    Bench, 300lb
    Squat 420lb
    Shoulder Dumbell press 92lb

iamthewalrus15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iamthewalrus15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iamthewalrus15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iamthewalrus15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iamthewalrus15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iamthewalrus15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iamthewalrus15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iamthewalrus15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iamthewalrus15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iamthewalrus15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iamthewalrus15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    triathlon training makes the best seal

bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    go to ssg nate morrison's site about military fitness. he's a pj in the airforce and his site is no b.s.

to pass selection for things like seals you have to have...

1) mental toughness

2) a strong constitution, this is mostly due to genetics. that said you can increase the strength of your constitution somewhat and your "work capacity" by quite a bit if you train smart.

sees articles and books by coach john davies to learn about work capacity.

to develop mental toughness do things that seem impossible. it will help if you have someone tougher and more disciplined than you are to guide you past your "limitations".

an awful lot of time and effort can be wasted by doing exhausting training that is the WRONG TYPE to bring you closer to your goals. be critical.

bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bscrusher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    "look like one"????

what a wanker. grow up. you wouldn't know a seal if you tripped over him.

killing is a serious business "rambo". special ops units routinely reject people who pass the selection process but lack maturity. i believe the first few minutes of BOOT CAMP in the army or marines would have you sobbing like a little baby.

b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ill do that 500 in 5 minutes if its in a pool

perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs down Yeah, but

Originally Posted by morphicus
    Personally I think the Royal Marine Commandos are the best fighting force in the world.

Tarzan assault course, 9 mile speed march with kit and rifle, Assault course and the tough 30 mile speed march with full fighting equipment and safety bergans.
    But remember "its not the size of the man in the fight but the size of the fight in the man"
    Can't argue with you on your position, troop.

You know 1979 was a long time ago, but the SEAL "PFT" that ramboboy is so excited about seems alot like the "tryout" . This is a minimal PT battery administered to applicants desiring a billet at B.U.D.S. school. The reason for this is that the seal instructors are under tremendous time restraints to make men into operators. They do not have time for remedial P.T.

The "Seal PFT" that ramguy is referring to sounds like the baseline test that seals use to ensure that candidates meet a baseline that will enable them to use their own special methods to test the commitment of that applicant to the training process. An applicant who cannot meet these minimum guidelines may have all the heart in the world, but will not succeed in training.

I believe that this is true because when I was in the Navy, (you are at least in the NAV, ain't you rampuppy?) this tryout was given in boot camp to recruits who wanted to go to BUDS.
    Adrenaline rules - got fear ??
    My yerba log/review ****
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=658762

perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

how is my memory?

Originally Posted by morgansd12
    You would really be pushing the bottom of the envelope. When you get to BUD/S, until hell week at least....you will be getting beat down. That means you may not be able to continue to qualify on your run/swim times as your body deteriorates, that is if you are starting out barely above passing times.

The workouts in boot are about 1/3 of a day at BUDS.

I was there and washed out in 2000, and it seemed to me that the whole thing had become about running. I thouht I could just be a tough guy and suffer through whatever....but that is wrong. Plain and simple you have to beat the run/swim times by a good minute and a half or you will not be able to do so when you are tired, injured, worn-out, cold and at risk of being dropped. Which they won't hesitate to do.
    Morg,

The "PFT" that rambo508 posted sounds alot like the tryout that the guys in bootcamp took to ensure that they had the minimum qualifications to endure the training at B.U.D.S. . Is that the case?
    Adrenaline rules - got fear ??
    My yerba log/review ****
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=658762

frantic983 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by b0ngman
    ill do that 500 in 5 minutes if its in a pool
    Breaststroke or sidestroke?

jwchalus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

SEAL Workout

Originally Posted by DoubleUps View Post
    seals are full of themselfs
    SEALs are not full of themselfs. The correct spelling is themselves. As a former SEAL SEAL Team ONE 1970-1973) and the father of a former SEAL we are justifiably proud of our achievements in training and in war. I admit that there are some SEALs that are a bit cocky but that just comes with the territory. When you earn your Trident then you can comment on SEALs.

jwchalus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post SEALs and Royal Marine Commando SBS

Originally Posted by morphicus View Post

I would say when you compare Special Operations Forces at the level of SEALs, SBS, SAS they all are about equal. They are all at the top of their game and their fitness levels and combat proficiency is off the charts. I am a former SEAL. SEAL Team ONE 1970-1973) and Vietnam Vet

PolVandam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PolVandam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PolVandam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by morphicus View Post

yee .. me2