Thread: Power Cleans?

rpgnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpgnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpgnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpgnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpgnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpgnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpgnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpgnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpgnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpgnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpgnick will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Power Cleans?

Do you guys do them? How effective do you think they are?

Chris16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

power cleans are great

they are a great measure of strength and some will disagree but i believe them to be for power building.

BiG RED HH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Power cleans are a great way to hurt yourself.

here, read the last dispute we had about them..

http://www.bodybuilding.com/forum/sh...t=power+cleans

Br

Chris16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chris16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

i wish id seen that thread earlier

ida had a bit to say, i actaully believe they are a great way of gaining power. and yes they are good for raising heart rate as someone said on the other section.

Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Power Cleans are good for football or really any athlete. They are good for explosion in the hips which is great in sports.

Man, did you guys read the other post at all??

I explained how they dont increase strength and power nearly as well as other exercises. I also explain why they are harmful and can easily cause injury, and lastly HOW THEY DONT IMPROVE EXPLOSIVENESS and what explosiveness is.
    Br

gopher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I guess the strength and conditioning coaches in the NFL and college football

don't know what they are doing. Cleans great for developing power (aka explosiveness) The current Muscle and Fitness has an article on Olympic lifting as compared to bodybuilduing and power lifting. Check it out.

Re: I guess the strength and conditioning coaches in the NFL and college football

Originally posted by gopher
    don't know what they are doing. Cleans great for developing power (aka explosiveness) The current Muscle and Fitness has an article on Olympic lifting as compared to bodybuilduing and power lifting. Check it out.

I dont even advice explosive lifting, mainly for 2 reason. 1. It involves momentum which takes away from the productivity and effecieny of the lift.
    "To illustrate the effects of momentum on muscular tension, imagine that you pushed a 100 pound cart a distance of 50 yards at a deliberate, steady pace. In this instance, you maintained a constant tension on your muscles for the entire 50 yards. Now, suppose that you were to push the same cart another 50 yards. This time, however, you accelerated your pace to the point where you were running as fast as possible. If you were to stop pushing the cart after 35 yards, the cart would continue to move by itself because you gave it momentum. So, your muscles had resistance for the first 35 yards . . . but not for the final 15 yards. The same effect occurs in the weight room. When weights are lifted explosively, there is tension on the muscles for the initial part of the movement . . . but not for the last part. In effect, the requirement for muscular force is lessened and the potential strength gains are reduced accordingly." - Matt Brzycki

and 2. Its dangerous and puts too much stress on joints.

CLEANS TO DO NOT BUILD EXPLOSIVENESS...

Explosiveness on the football field how quickly and forcefull an athlete can react to a situation. This requires motor skills obtained by practicing the desired movement. I played defensive line, squatting will not make me more explosive off the line, squatting will make me stronger, but the only way to be more explosive off the line is to practice coming out of my stance into a person or object. Anyone can lift explosively, and most who do dont gain strength and size as those who lift with a pace, and almost always get injured.

The reason jerks and cleans are being tested for strength by football coaches today is because:

back in the early 70's when football and other sports coaches were looking for people to train their athletes for strength, they turned to the olypic lifters of the time. Because one of the main olypic lifts is the clean and press, it became an outline for football strength, unfortunately, it is a dangerous one, and not a very accurate one.

There are far more efficient and far safer ways of building and testing strength then the power clean.

Br

Pablo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pablo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'll agree power cleans can hurt you real bad, because of power cleans one of my wrists is shoot, trust me just do deadlifts instead.

joehagyHH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    no doubt! bump on pablo and br.

John G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) John G has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ill 4th that

Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Big V has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    That's what I get for listening to a 300lbs football coach..... $^$#^%#& Sorry.

rpgnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpgnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpgnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpgnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpgnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpgnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpgnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpgnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpgnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpgnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpgnick will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Yeah...

My coach advises them, but they suck anyways, tons of work and piss me off. I appreciate the reasons not to do them.

Oh yeah, and thanks for the program Big Red!

Iron Worker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iron Worker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iron Worker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iron Worker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iron Worker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iron Worker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I disagree with the people who are saying power cleans are a good way to hurt yourself. Personally I haven't found that to be true at all. They've certainly helped me gain a lot of strength and power and because of that I don't have anything bad to say about them.
    But I suppose it may have a lot to do with the person who is doing the lift. I believe if you're comfortable with it, and you can keep good form etc. go ahead and do it.

Beyond everything else i said about them, here's another reason they aren't a very good test of strength.

They are highly complex movement, that may take years to master. One could increase poundage quite fast in them just learning the form and gaining coordination in the movement. It is far to complex a motor skill to test people on who have never or seldom used the exercise before. Simpler compound movements that dont require as much momentum (which is very dangerous in any lift) and motor skills are a far better way to test for strength. Also, many olympic lifters who train for weight in them, concentrate more on their form and **** of momentum than anything else.

Br

S_Duncan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Big Red, can someone else have their own opinion??? Or do they have to agree with you??

You made your point very clear, but some people still don't agree, let them think what they want.

Now I do Hang Cleans, I don't know what your guy's idea of a power clean is, what do you guys think a power clean is??

I do hang cleans, and those are when you start from an upright position and lean forward a bit and then you sort of do an upright row and then flip your arms and get under the bar.

Well those work awesome, and I think they are a must!! They are great for your traps and overall upper back development.

If you don't do hang Cleans do them!!!
    Last edited by S_Duncan; 11-21-2001 at 03:01 PM.

joehagyHH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    red just stating some facts.... chill bro. people can have their own opinions. we are just merly stating the other side.