Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    j0rd4n is on a distinguished road. (+10) j0rd4n is on a distinguished road. (+10) j0rd4n is on a distinguished road. (+10) j0rd4n is on a distinguished road. (+10) j0rd4n is on a distinguished road. (+10) j0rd4n is on a distinguished road. (+10) j0rd4n is on a distinguished road. (+10) j0rd4n is on a distinguished road. (+10) j0rd4n is on a distinguished road. (+10) j0rd4n is on a distinguished road. (+10) j0rd4n is on a distinguished road. (+10)

am i too skinny to hit the gym?

im 5'11 and weigh 145. Would it be embarassing for me to go to a gym like ballys since my arms r skinny? Should i gain some weigth first or should i just start working out to get bigger?

MJSbossman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Everyone starts somewhere...

I was 6' 150 when I started, now I'm 210. Don't be afraid, just ask for advice and research.
    19 years old, 6', 210lbs (11%bf)

j0rd4n is on a distinguished road. (+10) j0rd4n is on a distinguished road. (+10) j0rd4n is on a distinguished road. (+10) j0rd4n is on a distinguished road. (+10) j0rd4n is on a distinguished road. (+10) j0rd4n is on a distinguished road. (+10) j0rd4n is on a distinguished road. (+10) j0rd4n is on a distinguished road. (+10) j0rd4n is on a distinguished road. (+10) j0rd4n is on a distinguished road. (+10) j0rd4n is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    thnx

rajtrip has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know from personal experience how hard this can be. You'll probably be the smallest guy there and will be lifting a lot less than most other people.

Some people spend a month or so just doing machine weights until they've worked up the courage to hit the free weights. I wouldn't do this since you'll loose out on your newbie gains. With a proper diet most people gain 15-20 lbs of muscle mass in their first four or so months of lifting free weights.

What I did was wear a pull over sweatshirt and track pants while working out. Since people can't see your small muscles you'll feel less inhibited. I still do this even though I have a nice physique now, it's just comfortable! You also might also try working out with a friend.

Good luck.

drags has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    everyone starts somewhere in a matter of time you'll be bench pressing 100kg . Just make sure u get a good program happening eat plenty, and get plenty of sleep. Good luck

No0b will become famous soon enough. (+50) No0b will become famous soon enough. (+50) No0b will become famous soon enough. (+50) No0b will become famous soon enough. (+50) No0b will become famous soon enough. (+50) No0b will become famous soon enough. (+50) No0b will become famous soon enough. (+50) No0b will become famous soon enough. (+50) No0b will become famous soon enough. (+50) No0b will become famous soon enough. (+50) No0b will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Nah.
    Just think. Wern't you more embarrassed before you decided to do anything about it? lol Besides, you probably won't be the smallest one there. Could always go to a smaller gym, probably would be less embarrassing..

Although ballys... eww. Don't know about the ones near you but the ones around here are nothing but pick up joints. =/

ronmolina has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronmolina has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When I joined my first gym I was 6 feet and 118 lbs. I would have considered you huge! Dont let your weight stop you!

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Jord: you have nothing to worry about, after about 3 months training , you will be another one of the experts on here! LOL......

hey man! you are starting out.....Fudge everybody else,,,,,,you go in there and start small and grow big.....read, and read and then read some more, and talk to people and as a further incentive, hire out the personal trainer in the beginning for a couple of sessions, and tap his brain on a good bodybuilding diet to begin with.....

make it a project and just enjoy learning and improving......you are there for YOU...not for the others in the gym

C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100) C-Los is not very well liked. (-100)
    Whatever you do, don't go to the biggest guys and expect to get advice from them. I've talked to some of them and they are some of the biggest morons I've ever met when it comes to nutrition and training. I've noticed that these guys(most of them) are only that big cause they juice and since I've got some decent size they don't beleive me when I tell them I'm natural....The nerve of these guys.

Jordan, don't worry if you're the smallest guy there bro. Don't let the fact that you may be lifting less than everyone else get to you. As long as you're getting bigger and stronger thats the only thing that should matter to you. btw, you said your arms r skinny; if you're 5'11 and only 145 it sounds like everything is skinny so don't be one of those losers that only trains their upper body.

So start training and eating right asap. Remember to check out the nutrition board and i'll leave you with the biggest understatement ever:

"You grow in the kitchen, not in the gym"

Peace

C-Los
    Please "neg" me...I love it!

I sleep on a meathook iron_on_my_mind's Avatar
    iron_on_my_mind will become famous soon enough. (+50) iron_on_my_mind will become famous soon enough. (+50) iron_on_my_mind will become famous soon enough. (+50) iron_on_my_mind will become famous soon enough. (+50) iron_on_my_mind will become famous soon enough. (+50) iron_on_my_mind will become famous soon enough. (+50) iron_on_my_mind will become famous soon enough. (+50) iron_on_my_mind will become famous soon enough. (+50) iron_on_my_mind will become famous soon enough. (+50) iron_on_my_mind will become famous soon enough. (+50) iron_on_my_mind will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    "Jord: you have nothing to worry about, after about 3 months training , you will be another one of the experts on here! LOL......"

LOL . . . . ;-)

Don't worry about it, you're in a far better position than if you weighed 300, 50% bf . . . . .

Mr. Widebody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was the exact same size you were when I started lifting. Don't worry that is a decent size to start from. And most of the bigger, older guys in the gym are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Most of them are not like the stupid big mouth teenagers you may have encountered in high school. There is a lot of knowledge to be learned in the gym if you look in the right places. So eat, lift, ask questions, and read to educate yourself. You have nothing to be ashamed about so go lift and have fun!
    Last edited by Mr. Widebody; 03-03-2004 at 07:03 AM.

idiotsavant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Walk into that gym like you own the place, who cares about anyone else. To gain weight effectively you should eat 20 x your weight in cals, 2 x your weight in protien. Do mostly compound exercises, your routine must include squats, deads and bench. For your first month just try to get the form down though. To try to jump into heavy weights will more then likely injure you. Work each bodypart once a week with about 9 working sets. Much less for bis and tris because they get so much work when you do chest and back. Make a workout log and write every exercise you do and the weight. This gets important after the first month and you begin challenging yourself to do an extra rep or add 5 lbs to your lift every workout. And most importanly have fun.

MDogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) MDogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) MDogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) MDogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) MDogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) MDogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) MDogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) MDogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) MDogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) MDogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) MDogg is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    **** what everyone else thinks. Just go to the gym, nobody will be paying any attention to you anyways and if they are then they have personal problems. Just go and don't try to do too much weight at first, start really low and concentrate on your form and **** everyone else. Besides, do you care about looking good inside the gym or outside the gym?

T_Puller has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just try and imagine there's no one else in the gym. Not so much for "insecurity" reasons, more for being able to focus on YOUR workout.

I'm not a fan of music when I work out, but many/most people are. Grab some headphones and it might help you to tune out the others around you.

All the other advice in this thread is great as well (keeping a log, focusing on nutrition, "**** what everyone else thinks" etc.)

Cerbinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cerbinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cerbinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cerbinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cerbinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cerbinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cerbinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cerbinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cerbinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cerbinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cerbinator is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Man, I took 4 years off after HS and came back weak as hell. I didnt let it bother me. I never cared what people think of me in the gym.

My advice is to get you some headphones and some music and just go in and lift. Dont even look at other people. They just distract you. This is between you and the weights, and nothing else.

hyp3r3xt3nsion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you think that's skinny; i started around 5'5, 80pds!

nobody cares if you're fat/skinny/whatever at the gym; the only people who do are those who are insecure with themselves and feel the need to pick on others.

just remember, 3 keys to success

-sleep
    -eat (and eat and eat and eat to gain bulk)
    -lift heavy and to the best of your abilities (and by heavy i don't mean like 1 or 2reps, it could be 15reps as long as it's heavy to you and you give it your all)

Joe DIESO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    5'11 @ 145. You weighed alot more than me when I started lifting when I was 6'1.

Honestly, no one cares who is in the gym, how much they lift or how hard they lift. Everyone has the same mentality "I am here to get bigger and stronger". Everyone has to start somewhere, your starting at 145 and I started a whole lot less. 145 is pretty decent man.

devman27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devman27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devman27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devman27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devman27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devman27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devman27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devman27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devman27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devman27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devman27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah 5'11" 145 lbs. isn't really that bad. I was 6'2" 150 when I began my journey.
    Do every act in your life as if it were the last - Marcus Aurelius

BOSS-2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When I started I was weak as hell, crazy weak, and I didn't start till college. Here are a couple tips to keep you at it, because that is what's most important, I wonder where I'd be if I'd never taken a crap load of time off:

1) Don't worry about what others think, no one is going to say anything in the gym, most if not all understand they were there at one time, so they are pretty good about not only leaving you alone, but helping out.

2) Don't try to lift something you can't lift with good form just because you feel insecure about the weight the guy next to you is lifting. You'll never get there if you pratice the bad form all the wannabies practice (How do you get good form??....read, read, read...a lot of guys in the gym will tell you how to do things wrong, and you won't know the difference)

3) Eat like Crazy, remember you need more calories than you use to build muscle.

4) take in 1gram to 2grams per pound of body weight everyday, you'll need protein shakes to do this.

5) Most important, results may not come in a week, or a month...sometimes it takes time, but don't get discouraged, if you put the time in the results will come. Be patient, but persistent, stick with it and you'll grow, and before long, and believe me it won't take long, you'll know more than I do, probably lift more too.

Happy lifting my friend.

lgp9999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Work out for you, not for anybody else. When I started I was 6'1'' and 150. The only way that you will ever be able to "fit in" there is just to swallow your pride and work like an animal. From my experience, people in the gym respect a hard worker more than many strong guys who don't work very hard.
    6'3'' 220lbs
    305 Bench Press
    225 Military Press
    400lb Dead Lift

Skin E. Noob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Isn't this a cool place?

If these guys can't encourage you to get past your fears and get to the gym, then I can't imagine who could

Seriously, listen to everyone who's posted in this thread and simply make a committment to go to the gym and get started. Make sure you have a workable plan, and that you don't overtrain. The advice given about calories, protein, types of excercises, etc. are all good things.

Do this, and I promise you will feel so much better about yourself - hell, about everything. It's an awesome feeling to see and feel yourself becoming stronger and bigger. Sure, there'll be times when you're feeling good about your progress, but you'll see someone bigger and stronger and wonder how long, if ever, it'll take to get to where they already are. Don't fall into that trap. Remember, you're not doing this to be better than someone else, you're only doing it to be better than you are right now. And trust me, that's extremely easy. Take the great advice given in this thread, search around the rest of this site for more, get started, and I guarantee that in a few short weeks, you WILL better than you are right now.

Bigpecs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigpecs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigpecs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigpecs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Like everyone else said man dont worry about how small you are now. Nobody is huge when they first start. Thats what you go to the gym for is to get bigger.
    Top 10 reasons to date a wrestler
    10.Knows how to ride.
    9.Never stalls on bottom.
    8.Can score from any position.
    7. Knows how to work a 2 on 1.
    6.Knows how to use his hips.
    5.Goes hard from start to finish
    4.Endurance,Endurance,Endurance
    3.Knows when to push and pull
    2.Will eat anything.
    1.Always wears his head gear....

The Engineer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Engineer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Engineer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Engineer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: am i too skinny to hit the gym?

Originally posted by j0rd4n
    im 5'11 and weigh 145. Would it be embarassing for me to go to a gym like ballys since my arms r skinny? Should i gain some weigth first or should i just start working out to get bigger?
    duder, never be embarrassed.. hell, before i got serious, I was a FATASS (and no where near strong at all).. for real.. it took a lot of nuts to step into Woody's, a serious gym back near my parent's house, but it made all the difference. if you bust your ass in the gym, eat right, and get proper rest, you will grow. and if ppl make fun of you for being in the gym, use it for motivation - soon you'll be using weights that weigh more than they weigh ..

no one should cut another down for being smaller than them if they are serious and have the drive to get bigger and better.. that's just foolish and ignorant.
    I will not give up. I will not stop.

I may move to a new state, but that won't stop me. I may have to start over, but that won't stop me. You will see me someday, under the lights, in the magazines, taking home the trophy. It will happen, and if you're not here to give support then get the hell out of my way - I will not stop for you.

New Year, New Job, Livin in the Same Ol' Town... just with a Lot More $$$ rollin in...

Registered User WhenMuffinsAtak's Avatar
    WhenMuffinsAtak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You'll never get any respect if you are small. And if you never get respected anywhere, you'll go nuts. I know I do. That's why I hit weights like a mofo nowadays. Can't wait til I'm big ^_^. Unfortunately, I'm small, and have to use my high school gym. You know, the one where all the jocks are *******s and cliches and all that other good high school stuff. 2 more years. Anyway, you need to get some respect! Respect is the single best reason to lift.
    The muffin man is here.

I like pants!!! █♣█ liquid_fire's Avatar
    liquid_fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) liquid_fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) liquid_fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) liquid_fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) liquid_fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) liquid_fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) liquid_fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) liquid_fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) liquid_fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) liquid_fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) liquid_fire will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    biggest mistake I ever made at the gym:

caring what people thought about me
    I would avoid emabrassing excercises, use too much weight etc.

I say try every piece of equipment you can for the first week. Learn how to use them properly and with good form. The pick and choose which ones you want to use more regularly.

Steveo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Steveo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Steveo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Steveo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Steveo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Steveo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Steveo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Steveo31 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by liquid_fire
    biggest mistake I ever made at the gym:

caring what people thought about me
    I would avoid emabrassing excercises, use too much weight etc.

I say try every piece of equipment you can for the first week. Learn how to use them properly and with good form. The pick and choose which ones you want to use more regularly.
    HUGE bump.

Dude... no one cares about what you can lift. Like a lot of the guys said above, you have to start somewhere. I was about 5'9 140 when I started, and I'm still considered thin @ 6'6" 172, but it is a huge improvement to me, and I never do machines no more. Just eat hardy.

This is good sticky material, no?
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

-ohashi

T_Puller has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Another thing that came to mind after seeing all these serious lifters in here add their thoughts.

It's prolly not easy to just accept everyones' "don't worry about what others think" advice...sometimes it's just human nature to feel intimidated when undertaking a new venture.

HOWEVER...the people in the gym who you would even *want* the respect of will be much like everyone here, accepting and even encouraging to a beginner who wants to undertake the dedication of serious weight training.

The only ones who would laugh or think you don't belong are gonna be the B&B guys who are still stuck at the same strength and physique for years because they don't have the mental fortitude to progress.

hotsauce901 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    in the gym most ppl dont care about your size. When i first joined i had twiggy 9.5 inch arms. No one cared, lots of ppl tried to give me advice. Not all ppl are showoffs are jerks so its cool to go even when u think u are too small
    weight- 163lb
    height - 5'9

goal- 180lb

22 and still learning... steve_capron's Avatar
    steve_capron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve_capron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve_capron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve_capron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve_capron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve_capron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve_capron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve_capron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve_capron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve_capron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) steve_capron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    No. It doesnt matted how much you weigh, if you wanna go, GO!

I was never skinny, or fat, but those are the people in the gym that have the biggest set of balls. I found it easy to walk in there, those who feel them have a huge mountain to climb deserve the biggest props among us...

Good luck and lift hard.

Steve
    Currently taking:
    ON 100% Whey, Controlled Labs Green Mag & Animal Cuts

Next Move:
    Maybe Size On & Cytolean v2 ???

darkforce is a complete loser! (-2000) darkforce is a complete loser! (-2000) darkforce is a complete loser! (-2000) darkforce is a complete loser! (-2000) darkforce is a complete loser! (-2000) darkforce is a complete loser! (-2000) darkforce is a complete loser! (-2000) darkforce is a complete loser! (-2000) darkforce is a complete loser! (-2000) darkforce is a complete loser! (-2000) darkforce is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Don't worry about it dude, everyoen starts somewhere.

Just don't wear a wife beater