Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ^^^likes her big thighs Pilotgirl29's Avatar
    Pilotgirl29 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pilotgirl29 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pilotgirl29 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pilotgirl29 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pilotgirl29 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pilotgirl29 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pilotgirl29 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pilotgirl29 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pilotgirl29 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pilotgirl29 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pilotgirl29 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Men on treadmills.... mmmmmm

Originally Posted by Blake Austin View Post
    I don't mind it. Do women mind it if men do cardio??
    I hate it when men are on our elliptical machines! What do they think they are doing in our territory? JOKING!!!!

Seriously, at the gym I used to go to, the firemen would come do cardio in the morning around 10 am. I NEVER missed a session

Talk about motivation!

Beklet is just really nice. (+1000) Beklet is just really nice. (+1000) Beklet is just really nice. (+1000) Beklet is just really nice. (+1000) Beklet is just really nice. (+1000) Beklet is just really nice. (+1000) Beklet is just really nice. (+1000) Beklet is just really nice. (+1000) Beklet is just really nice. (+1000) Beklet is just really nice. (+1000) Beklet is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Pilotgirl29 View Post
    I hate it when men are on our elliptical machines! What do they think they are doing in our territory? JOKING!!!!

Seriously, at the gym I used to go to, the firemen would come do cardio in the morning around 10 am. I NEVER missed a session

Talk about motivation!

Heh heh

I normally just go in and do my thing - the only time I speak to anyone is to ask if the rack/bench/plates are free.

Despite still looking a bit chubby, I've noticed people looking at me in the last week or two. I normally spend most of my time in the free weights section, and no-one's ever said a thing before, but I've definitely spotted a couple of sidelong glances. Nothing negative (that I could tell), I think it's just curiosity

They're mostly young lads though - younger than me!

Detoxing from Life martina92685's Avatar
    martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Pilotgirl29 View Post
    I think it's so funny when the guys pick on each other for getting on the elliptical. Who the hell cares, just do your damn cardio!

Then there are the guys who run with the 5 lb weights in the hands. For what? Put the weights back, you don't look more like a man.

Don't give me evils! SumthinOrNuthin's Avatar
    SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50) SumthinOrNuthin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I joined my current gym 3 weeks ago and so far, I haven't seen another female in the free weights area. In that time I've made a point of asking a different guy to spot me on my benching each time and the last one told me off for chickening out on my last rep but congratulated me on my form. That'll do for me

Yesterday was the first day one of them spoke to me without me speaking first and it was to help me out. So that's good too.

But there are a small number of guys in there who have that air about them such that they just don't know what to make of me. I wear baggy shirts and shorts almost to my knees when I'm working out so its not possible for them to see my body really, but they're clocking my weights. I guess they've just never seen a woman who doesn't use the pink dumbells!

Bottom line tho is I don't give a stuff what any of them think of me. I'm me, I like lifting, period
    Brian! Who are all those people outside?
    I don't know mother, they just .... popped by.
    Popped by?! Swarmed by more like!

cafitchick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cafitchick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cafitchick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cafitchick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cafitchick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cafitchick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cafitchick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cafitchick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cafitchick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cafitchick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cafitchick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I get crap for lifting ALL the time, and so I usually lift at home, but I'm proud of my lifting accomplishments!

Kudos to all the guys in here, awesome to know that there are real and supportive men out there...just not in any of our gyms!

Stay strong ladies and screw those who give you crap about it!

"Those who matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter"(dr. seuss I think)

valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) valby has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by cafitchick View Post
    I get crap for lifting ALL the time, and so I usually lift at home, but I'm proud of my lifting accomplishments!

Kudos to all the guys in here, awesome to know that there are real and supportive men out there...just not in any of our gyms!

Stay strong ladies and screw those who give you crap about it!

"Those who matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter"(dr. seuss I think)
    good ole Dr Suess! Didn't expect so much response to my rant, but it is good to see people who support anyone weight training (regardless of gender).

Someone suggested maybe it is just my brother trying to show support-good way of thinking about it and I will take this on board. I still think though that my brother has a very narrow view of what females should and shouldn't do/what they should look like etc...but there is not much I can do about that, with the 2 sisters that he has I really have no idea why he has this warped view of women, but I will keep educating him!

I think my partner is getting used to the idea of me lifting 'heavy' (for me) weights and he does give me hints and tips + spots me when I ask. He also knows that I will damn we do what I want so he can like it all lump it

I am starting to see positive changes in my body composition so this also reaffirms that I am doing the right thing!!

I think it is my competitive nature that gets me worked up about these things I hate being told women can't do the things that men can....
    "The supreme irony of life is that no one gets out of it alive." -Robert Heinlein

"I don't care if it ruins my career; I'd rather be smart than a movie star" - Natalie Portman

bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SumthinOrNuthin View Post
    I joined my current gym 3 weeks ago and so far, I haven't seen another female in the free weights area. ...the last one told me off for chickening out on my last rep but congratulated me on my form. That'll do for me

Yesterday was the first day one of them spoke to me without me speaking first and it was to help me out. So that's good too.
    It makes me laugh to read your post because it just seems so grade schoolish but it's so common. The boys are all watching & waiting to see if the girl can actually hang with them. I see it all the time from the weight room, to the dirtbike track or trail to my work (heavy highway construction).

Some guys don't act like that but so many of them aren't about to give you the benefit of the doubt until you've proven yourself.

It takes time, that is for sure to be accepted into the "male tribe" but if you just keep on doing your thing, like you said, they seem to come around.

valby, that competitive nature is what motivates a lot of us - go with it!

Everblack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't have a problem with it at all. I'd much rather have a fit, athletic-looking woman than a woman that has hip bones protruding to the point that they look like they're going to break her skin. In fact, my girlfriend lifts weights with me 2-3 times a week, and she is by far the best workout partner I've ever had. She's tough, dedicated, and I trust her more than anyone not to let the weight crush my sternum when I'm benching more than I ever have. Sure, some men have a problem with women lifting weights, but some men don't like redheads or tall women or black women. So isn't that more their problem than yours? I say, don't worry about it and do your thing.

BuffedStuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffedStuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffedStuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffedStuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffedStuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffedStuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffedStuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffedStuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffedStuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffedStuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) BuffedStuff will become famous soon enough. (+50)

to lift or not to lift....

Always do what empowers you and makes you feel great about yourself. Sure some guys may have a problem with women who lift but then again we can't always please everyone. I guess it might just be time to have a problem with guys who have a problem with women who lift.
    where there is no vision, the people perish, proverbs 29:18 I can see what I want to become how about you?

darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by bbbom View Post
    Some guys don't act like that but so many of them aren't about to give you the benefit of the doubt until you've proven yourself.

It takes time, that is for sure to be accepted into the "male tribe" but if you just keep on doing your thing, like you said, they seem to come around.
    From my experience, there are some that never come around if you're not lifting the same amount of weight they do. Last night, I was waiting on the cage to do my squats. This guy had two 45 lb. plates loaded on either end of the bar and just wandered off. I finally caught his eye and asked him, "Are you done here?" He says, "Oh, yeah. You want me to leave those on?" Ninety pounds on each side plus the weight of an Olympic bar. Yeah, that's really what I'm going to squat.

Another time, I was going to bench press after this guy who had a ton of plates on the bar. "You want me to leave those on for you?" he asks, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, ha, ha, ha. I said, "You'd feel pretty bad if I told you 'yes', wouldn't you?" That shut him up.

I don't get it. I'm a small-boned, petite female. I don't expect to be able to lift what a 200 pound, 6 foot male does. I do what's challenging for me. Why can't we be respected for that?

bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50) bbbom will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Your comment back to the benchpress guy was great. Not all of them will come around to accept a woman doing a "guy thing", that's for sure but the ones that are intelligent and secure enough seem to be fine with it.

Not just in weighlifting but in every other aspect of life, if you are involved in "male dominate activities" you will run into those that can't accept you.

I just figure that it's no skin off my ass and they are missing out.

LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by darkangel View Post
    I don't get it. I'm a small-boned, petite female. I don't expect to be able to lift what a 200 pound, 6 foot male does. I do what's challenging for me. Why can't we be respected for that?
    you are. by many of us.

best,
    ~lifer

darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks, guys... that means alot.

Ya know, I said there are some that can't respect you unless you're lifting the weight they are... but in reality, for those ladies here that DO, these guys probably resent them for it. Ya can't win with some folks.

My most rewarding gym experience was when I recently switched gyms. I was squatting in the cage when one of the trainers approached me - older guy, ex-navy, great shape - and complimented me on my ATG squat form in front of all the guys. That felt damn good.

Samantha905 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Samantha905 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Samantha905 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Samantha905 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Samantha905 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Samantha905 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Samantha905 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Samantha905 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Samantha905 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Samantha905 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Samantha905 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Angry

once i was working out with my mum once and we had ventured to the free-weights, doing dumb-bell bench-presses. Half way through a set, a donut-looking short guy and his friend came up to use and tried to scare us of the bench, so we stayed longer That made both of us really angry, just because were women they think they have priority over the equipment

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I was taught the proper way to use the power squat machine by a woman. Women are often very particular about using the correct form, and that's a good thing. Sometimes it means they have to use a little less weight...something many guys would be well-advised to do.
    Time To Re-Schedule

bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000) bttrthnb4 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Men have actually been the more supportive ones for me. I get catty looks and stuff from the women. I swear...its almost as if they think I'm out to get them with my healthier lifestyle. I'm just having fun!!

DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Not at all, in fact there are some women competitors out there that make me wish I was in as good of shape as they are!

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by DC-333 View Post
    Not at all, in fact there are some women competitors out there that make me wish I was in as good of shape as they are!
    Yeah, like Titania.
    Time To Re-Schedule

bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Tyrbolift View Post
    I think a woman lifting weights sincerely and with true effort, like a typical man does in a gym, is hawt!

-She thinks independently and knows the truth over what social mores tell her.

-She is a doer who wants to better herself.

-It makes her body more attractive and shapely.

-She is strong and fit enough to do sports and other outdoor activities I like with me.

-Being a sister in iron, she understands that I am not there purely out of vanity.

I agree with everything he said
    White Sox fan

Originally Posted by Tyrbolift View Post
    Sometimes it means they have to use a little less weight...something many guys would be well-advised to do.

I'm still trying to get my son to understand that! I think he's trying to compete with me - form, form, form, form then increase the weight!

SuziCue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuziCue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuziCue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuziCue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuziCue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuziCue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuziCue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuziCue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuziCue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuziCue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuziCue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well the whole theory about being "huge" and "lifting weights" should be thrown right out the door--after all, muscle burns more fat than fat alone. If those chicks would get off the treadmill and build some muscle with weights they would drop more weight. But who listens to me?

And who ever said the "who cares what others thing"..right on. I love my biceps
    You know if it were easy, EVERYONE would be doing it. www.shapeupwithsuzie.com

Proud Team Bombshell Member