Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Question To cut Or not To cut

I see threads on cutting from beginners , and my question is this what reason would you cut unless you are going to compete?Even if you wanna cut for the beach this summer, wouldn't you be taken a step back in doing so?

From what i understand cutting is not the healthiest thing you can do for your body , little to no carbs , little water , sodium intake and so on.

So if you are looking to gain gain gain(like most beginners) then why would you still cut? I could see doing it as a one time practice run for future competitions maybe.

Am i missing something or are they missing something?
    Greater Knox BB 06 , 8 of 13 , Novice.

Battle At The River 07 , 5 of 7 , JMW

Greater Knox classic 07 , 8 of 9 JMW

Battle at the River 08 , 4 of 4 JMW Masters crossover

cage fight record 1-1
    1st fight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEGcQZCtgV4

2nd fight vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6dZyZbUZc4

Edge_90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I won't be cutting after discussion w/some knowledgeable posters. Haven't even investigated the details, ie low carbs etc. Maybe cut some day if I exceed weight goals and have extra fat. I would like to just stay perennially lean enough (not super cut or anything). Doesn't look all that healthy to me, personally. JMO
    Age = 38
    Ht = 6'2"
    Wt = 185

Goals: more lean, athletic, fast, & strong.

timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Re: To cut Or not To cut

Originally posted by Power-Quest
    I see threads on cutting from beginners , and my question is this what reason would you cut unless you are going to compete?Even if you wanna cut for the beach this summer, wouldn't you be taken a step back in doing so?

From what i understand cutting is not the healthiest thing you can do for your body , little to no carbs , little water , sodium intake and so on.

So if you are looking to gain gain gain(like most beginners) then why would you still cut? I could see doing it as a one time practice run for future competitions maybe.

Am i missing something or are they missing something?
    I guess I see it from a different if not opposing view. While with beginners I can understand your point... my question would be why would anyone want to bulk up UNLESS they're competing? evemn then I sometimes question it. Giving it some thought... maybe a lack of patience is the answer for both our questions.

I've also read though that leaner one is before 'bulking' the greater muscle to fat ratio gained. Any truth to this?

I also disagree with your though about cutting not being the healthiest thing.
    I don't see anything necessarily unhealthy about cutting bodyfat only some of the extreme methods used. Cutting your carbs IMO isn't unhealthy. And drinking little water does not aid in cutting bodyfat. Along with sodium manipulation cutting your water intake is used to remove water retention and this technique should for the most part be used by competitors only for last week or so before competition.

I think most will agree... when taken to the competitive level, bodybuilding is no longer the healthy lifestyle it starts out as.

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you think you're packing too much fat, then cut. If you don't think you are packing too much fat, then don't cut.
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Power: you are on to something......like many before me, I often made the mistake of "bulking" up, which as Timberwolf, a guy who is always in top shape pointed out, is really just putting a lot of fat on your body as well as muscle.....

the key to is gain slowly and never really get that heavy.......

and yes, there is nothing natural about competition, and if you think about it, there is nothing natural about bodybuilding in general, as our bodies were not really meant to have the things that we want for them and the lengths that we go to get them...but we do it because of various reasons....fun, vanity etc...

PHIL DONAHUE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

unless your competing just stay lean enough to see your biceps vein. those dairy queen pecan mudslides are real good.
    THE SUPPLEMENTS I TAKE INCLUDE AST CREATINE,MUSCLE MILK PROTEIN,ALL PROHORMONES CYCLED OF COURSE AND LIFT HEAVY LOW REPS [ IF YOU ARE OUT GROWING YOUR CLOTHES IT IS WORKING]

Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Power-Quest has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I am considering competing , But my trainer is having me loose BF through cardio and steady good diet , for the long haul.

I guess i just get the impression some take cutting to the extreme and there not even doing it to compete.

If they are cutting at a healthy pace then thats great, sounds like a diet and exercise to me.

Good info guys/gals.
    Greater Knox BB 06 , 8 of 13 , Novice.

Battle At The River 07 , 5 of 7 , JMW

Greater Knox classic 07 , 8 of 9 JMW

Battle at the River 08 , 4 of 4 JMW Masters crossover

cage fight record 1-1
    1st fight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEGcQZCtgV4

2nd fight vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6dZyZbUZc4

Paynne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: To cut Or not To cut

When they say cut, they mean lose some body fat over a period of time. What you are talking about is prep directly before a contest. Your post on your 6 month results shows some great results on a cutting program.

I ate maintence calories and trained for years and got nowhere. The only way I can get results is to be hypercaloric and gain some muscle and some fat to go with it. Then lose the fat while trying to lose as little of the muscle as possible. For me it's working.
    Last edited by Paynne; 02-29-2004 at 02:52 PM.

AG2003 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For beginners (like me), cutting is probably the least of the priorities - IMO. As even my muscles are not yet developed and whatever gains might get compromised though cutting. Cutting is way too far as of yet. But I feel that when I get really fat during my bulking phase, I'll probably 'cut' a bit to maintain a fair bf level and start another bulking phase. Its not for the competition (iv no plans) - but mainly for health reasons and some "fun, vanity. . ." as John G mentioned.

I would say that it depends on your current state and goals/choice.

burstfadehc is not very well liked. (-100) burstfadehc is not very well liked. (-100) burstfadehc is not very well liked. (-100) burstfadehc is not very well liked. (-100) burstfadehc is not very well liked. (-100) burstfadehc is not very well liked. (-100) burstfadehc is not very well liked. (-100) burstfadehc is not very well liked. (-100) burstfadehc is not very well liked. (-100) burstfadehc is not very well liked. (-100) burstfadehc is not very well liked. (-100)
    If you think you're packing too much fat, then cut. If you don't think you are packing too much fat, then don't cut.
    yes

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by burstfadehc View Post
    yes
    A good answer, but do you realise that you bumped a 10 year old thread?

Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Sorry to add to the bumped thread...
    But, you know when you go to the shops grab steaks, red wine sauce, you see a 13$ lobster, think to your self why not and ill put the steaks back, than go to grab a salad..
    Get home with 2 steaks, a lobster, cocktail sauce and red wine sauce lol.. Now just have to figure out how to heat the lobster, probably go oven method.. (Live poorly, guess a treat yourself day).. Other than slices of ham all I eat today though, and protein shakes.

Edit: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........
    Last edited by Gandog; 02-18-2024 at 10:25 AM.