It's later than you think EMISGOD's Avatar
    EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Myogenix Aftershock

Background:

Used here by itself, prior to the Universal Torrent mini-test:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1554341

Used here, stepped on with 1 scoop of DE:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2167351

Review:

Recovery products are one of the faster-growing segments of the industry, I would suspect. The recent launch of several new products catering to demand for a one-stop PWO recovery product seems to bear that out. I have long been a proponent of PWO nutrition being one of the more critical aspects, dietarily, but until the recent trend of various elements being combined in a sort of "super-potion", I found improved results by using GNC's Mega Glutamine with their 100% Whey and later with the Mega Whey Supreme. I intensely dislike muscles being stiff and sore the next day, so these products will have my interest for some time. I bought the orange flavor of Aftershock...

As to Aftershock, it neither smells nor tastes very good, with the texture being sort of a thick, vaguely orange-y glop. In fact, by itself, it tastes borderline disgusting, with a slight almost sewer-ish smell to it. I tried altering the mixture with both MAN Body Octane and DE Pina Colada, both of which are two very good-tasting supplements, but even those, while improving the taste slightly, were not able to make this ever taste good.

Mixability is rather poor for this product. It failed the fork test and eventually, the only way I could blend it to something acceptable was to put a small amount of water in a cup, put in the scoops and then let it hit the Magic Bullet. Once that was done, I'd usually top it off with water in a 20 oz. shaker cup. Once blended, it is worth noting, it did stay blended and did not separate.

This is another one of the "kitchen sink" formulations, with nearly everything that may show promise PWO being tossed in there. Interestingly, the products that follow this "shotgun" line of thinking do not seem to work appreciably better than some of the more simplistic ones. On the surface, assuming the label is correct, this does have a decent amount of protein in it, a category that I feel many recovery products overlook.

Aftershock, by itself, is sort of a mid-level recovery product, in that it does help recovery, but not to the level of those at the top of this field, such as Designer Supplements Replenish and Xtreme Formulations Relentless + 1 scoop whey, both of which are the best two I've used so far. Aftershock stepped on with 1 scoop of DE whey worked not quite to the level of those two, but much closer to that benchmark and considerably better than Aftershock solo.

Verdict:

On the surface, this product has maybe the most ingredients listed of any recovery agent. However, this does not add up, in any way, to a superior product. I'm firmly against the use of creatines in PWO products and the presence of Kre-Alkalyn here is one I would rather do without. In short, this has too many factors working against it: hideous taste and smell, poor mixability and a moderate, but not very overwhelming effectiveness factor. I can't imagine a subsequent purchase of this.
    Ongoing Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=106420991

Come here and open your mouth, S103/Syntrax, I gotta take a piss: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3569901

vdro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i tasted all flavours, mixed good and taste was nice (wild berry best).
    i am satisfied with this product.

The Next Jason Voorhees Da Main Man's Avatar
    Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    not sure if this is a good thing or not, but i've yet to see a positive review from you yet.

i like the skeptical way of thinking and your reviews make me second guess any impulse pruchase.

thankyou.
    Tell your Girlfriend i said thanks....

2 hits has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i think you should stick with gatoraid - i hear it smells and tastes good...haha

if there is a product that gives you full doses ( not kitchen sink dosages ) but full doses of everything Aftershock has, let me know...and i'll quit working for them and go someplace else

or maybe you should go back to using GNC glutamine and whey protein - but why would you when Aftershock has full servings of fast protein, fast carbs, glutamine, patented Kre-alk, antioxidants, joint repair, and bcaa's.

whats better riding the city bus or driving a Ferrari?

Here's my last suggestion - get a sample of Aftershock Tropical or Wildberry, put it in a shaker ( don't use the forkin fork test ) and drink it - use the product for 30 days - you'll see results guaranteed - it works because it covers all the fundamentals of "nutrition 101" - it works just like lifting weights and eating chicken and broccoli works

The Next Jason Voorhees Da Main Man's Avatar
    Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da Main Man is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by 2 hits View Post
    i think you should stick with gatoraid - i hear it smells and tastes good...haha

if there is a product that gives you full doses ( not kitchen sink dosages ) but full doses of everything Aftershock has, let me know...and i'll quit working for them and go someplace else

or maybe you should go back to using GNC glutamine and whey protein - but why would you when Aftershock has full servings of fast protein, fast carbs, glutamine, patented Kre-alk, antioxidants, joint repair, and bcaa's.

Here's my last suggestion - get a sample of Aftershock Tropical or Wildberry, put it in a shaker ( don't use the forkin fork test ) and drink it - use the product for 30 days - you'll see results guaranteed - it works because it covers all the fundamentals of "nutrition 101" - it works just like lifting weights and eating chicken and broccoli works
    put your representative details in your signature.
    Tell your Girlfriend i said thanks....

i just signed up today b/c someone forwarded me this link - i don't know what you mean

EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Da Main Man View Post
    not sure if this is a good thing or not, but i've yet to see a positive review from you yet.

i like the skeptical way of thinking and your reviews make me second guess any impulse pruchase.

thankyou.
    I think I've either hit or will be hitting 90 reviews on this site alone soon...I do believe one or more of those may have been positive.

Originally Posted by vdro View Post
    i tasted all flavours, mixed good and taste was nice (wild berry best).
    i am satisfied with this product.
    I might try sample packets of the other flavors, but in no way will I be buying another entire tub.

i just signed up today b/c someone forwarded me this link - i don't know what you mean
    If you are a company rep or have a position with a supplement company, you are required to put that in your signature. See bolded part of next section.

How very tiresome. I used it for an entire tub and it only started working well when I stepped on with an extra scoop of whey protein. The fork test is just for thoroughness. I did also try this in a shaker and it clumped. The way I described is the best way to smooth it out. In terms of results, this leaves much to be desired, in my testing. In terms of a "garbage pail" approach to throwing a bunch of **** in a recovery powder, it's top of the line...assuming that the label is correct, of course.

As I said, I will very happily never use this again. When I buy products, I expect them to deliver and those that do not or that deliver marginally, such as this one, are chalked up to experience and then forgotten...I don't have time or inclination to keep giving second, third or fourth chances, with VERY few exceptions, unless there is a pressing reason.

As far as the GNC whey + glutamine issue, I rarely go into a GNC anymore, which precludes that as well as the fact that I'm happier with my current whey than I ever was with GNC's whey. Right now, I'm in the early stages of testing Core PWO. For what it's worth, that has already gone a long way towards out-performing Aftershock...

Come here and open your mouth, S103/Syntrax, I gotta take a piss: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3569901

this is my last response to EMISGOD because you look like the leader of a cult for one thing - but also i'm too busy to keep giving rebuttals ( although it is quite humorous )

you mention you are now seeing good results with a product that has only 8 more grams of protein than our product but with no additional bcaa's and no hydrolyzed protein, only 2 grams of glutamine, zero creatine, and zero of anything else - whats next, your comparison of riding the city bus, compared to a Ferrari

by the way - i liked your entrys on red bull, rock star, and sobe's drinks - all of which are hardcore performance products - when are we going to see your analysis of gatoraid?

this is my last response to EMISGOD because you look like the leader of a cult for one thing - but also i'm too busy to keep giving rebuttals ( although it is quite humorous )
    Back to the land of the nonsensical from whence you came, I guess...be sure to put your company affiliation in your signature, if you're able to spare a few precious seconds to figure out how.

you mention you are now seeing good results with a product that has only 8 more grams of protein than our product but with no additional bcaa's and no hydrolyzed protein, only 2 grams of glutamine, zero creatine, and zero of anything else - whats next, your comparison of riding the city bus, compared to a Ferrari
    Ahhh, the Ferrari comparison again. In terms of practicality and usefulness and keeping with the automotive theme, the Aftershock is probably along the lines of either the Chevy Vega or Ford Pinto. Sure, it might work occasionally and sometimes even be useful, but it's just not worth the bother of screwing with, particularly since it does not function well as a stand-alone.

As to some of your other "points", creatine is generally useless in a post-workout product and should not be in there at all, in my opinion. Core PWO certainly does have a lot less of the extraneous **** that Aftershock lists, assuming the label is valid, but it also has a better taste and works better. Here's a thought for Myogenix, maybe instead of just dumping a bunch of **** in there that "might" help, perhaps spend some time designing a product that actually works...

by the way - i liked your entrys on red bull, rock star, and sobe's drinks - all of which are hardcore performance products - when are we going to see your analysis of gatoraid?
    Thanks for reading. The answer to your last question is never.

I have one question for you, though. If you are really a Myogenix representative, how are your idiotic posts supposed to either change my mind or look to undecided potential customers? Your public relation skills leave much to be desired...

PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by EMISGOD View Post
    I have one question for you, though. If you are really a Myogenix representative, how are your idiotic posts supposed to either change my mind or look to undecided potential customers? Your public relation skills leave much to be desired...
    Agreed, not a whole lot of professionalism shown by the MYogenix rep.
    Does not speak well about the company

Originally Posted by PaintPir View Post
    Agreed, not a whole lot of professionalism shown by the MYogenix rep.
    Does not speak well about the company
    I want to assume that this individual is not actually a representative of Myogenix, since he/she/it has not updated their signature. It is juvenile **** like this that really makes it difficult to maintain any degree of neutrality towards a company and their products.

Maybe I should be flattered that all 3 of that person's posts are in one of my threads...

Anyway, perhaps it's better if they do not update their signature and leave a doubt rather than confirming things. If I find out that person is actually a Myogenix rep, that tub of Aftershock will be the first and last product of theirs I ever buy...

rourkerox will become famous soon enough. (+50) rourkerox will become famous soon enough. (+50) rourkerox will become famous soon enough. (+50) rourkerox will become famous soon enough. (+50) rourkerox will become famous soon enough. (+50) rourkerox will become famous soon enough. (+50) rourkerox will become famous soon enough. (+50) rourkerox will become famous soon enough. (+50) rourkerox will become famous soon enough. (+50) rourkerox will become famous soon enough. (+50) rourkerox will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You said when you buy products. with 90+ reviews do you really need to buy anything or can you just ask and receive?

PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) PaintPir is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I want to assume that this individual is not actually a representative of Myogenix, since he/she/it has not updated their signature. It is juvenile **** like this that really makes it difficult to maintain any degree of neutrality towards a company and their products.

Maybe I should be flattered that all 3 of that person's posts are in one of my threads...

Anyway, perhaps it's better if they do not update their signature and leave a doubt rather than confirming things. If I find out that person is actually a Myogenix rep, that tub of Aftershock will be the first and last product of theirs I ever buy...
    I do not think that she will be visiting the boards again,

But why would someone not associated with the company take a picture of themselves with a tub just to make an avy for a forum?
    I am thinking she actually is from the company

Originally Posted by rourkerox View Post
    You said when you buy products. with 90+ reviews do you really need to buy anything or can you just ask and receive?
    The various companies are not in business to continually comp me product and it would not be fair for me to continually request that. In my current situation, if any of them are inclined to do so, it is usually in exchange for a Log, which I try to make as comprehensive as possible. I buy the majority of the things I use regularly, a list of which can be found in my BodySpace. Soon, I will be doing a BodyBLOG on which supplements I use and keep as staples, which is where all this accumulation of knowledge and information is ultimately headed...for me to call something a "staple" means I either consider it the ultimate (and I do not ever claim that for something without considerable testing) or that there is minimal gain in me trying to switch.

Originally Posted by PaintPir View Post
    I do not think that she will be visiting the boards again,

But why would someone not associated with the company take a picture of themselves with a tub just to make an avy for a forum?
    I am thinking she actually is from the company
    I don't know that was actually a female posting. I would like to not believe that someone would use a screwy picture like that for an avatar of themselves. I would like not to believe that a rep from Myogenix would behave like that, particularly with the inane comparison of a public transportation vehicle and a sports car...if those things I would like not to believe, it would be better for that company if he/she/it does not post again.

Scholastic Sledgehammer Cherokee's Avatar
    Cherokee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cherokee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cherokee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cherokee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cherokee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cherokee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cherokee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cherokee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cherokee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cherokee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cherokee is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Emis,

I appreciate the fact that you bring a healthy dose of skepticism to your reviews. I wish more reviewers would do the same. A product should have to prove that it even works, not be assumed to work.

peace,
    Cherokee

Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    Emis,

I appreciate the fact that you bring a healthy dose of skepticism to your reviews. I wish more reviewers would do the same. A product should have to prove that it even works, not be assumed to work.

peace,
    Cherokee
    They get what they deserve, whatever the tone.

Thanks for reading.

You fibro'd my algia! TommyTuffGuy's Avatar
    TommyTuffGuy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TommyTuffGuy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TommyTuffGuy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TommyTuffGuy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TommyTuffGuy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TommyTuffGuy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TommyTuffGuy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TommyTuffGuy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TommyTuffGuy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TommyTuffGuy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TommyTuffGuy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Unhappy

Interesting.

The old formula Tropical Typhoon was the best thing I have ever put in my mouth that was a powder turned to a drinkable mix. I couldn't get enough of it...I looked forward to post work-out.

Then they made the ingredients "better" and re-leased a new version..and it taste bleh like how you're describing. Same name: Tropical Typhoon.

I'm wondering if you suggest anything in the realm of Aftershock that tastes great with a great blend?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by TommyTuffGuy View Post
    Interesting.

The old formula Tropical Typhoon was the best thing I have ever put in my mouth that was a powder turned to a drinkable mix. I couldn't get enough of it...I looked forward to post work-out.

Then they made the ingredients "better" and re-leased a new version..and it taste bleh like how you're describing. Same name: Tropical Typhoon.

I'm wondering if you suggest anything in the realm of Aftershock that tastes great with a great blend?

Thanks.
    I'm taking your question to mean the best-working, best-tasting stand-alone PWO recovery drink...that is unquestionably Designer Supplements Replenish. I am also fairly happy so far with Core PWO, though it is not quite as effective as of yet and the combination of Xtreme Formulations Relentless + Whey is also a winner. I don't believe I would use any of the others I've tested again, actually, unless they were free. I really REALLY don't like the use of creatine in PWO recovery drinks and Core and Relentless do not have any and Replenish only has 1g...

TunaBreath will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaBreath will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaBreath will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaBreath will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaBreath will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaBreath will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaBreath will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaBreath will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaBreath will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaBreath will become famous soon enough. (+50) TunaBreath will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    On the surface, this product has maybe the most ingredients listed of any recovery agent. However, this does not add up, in any way, to a superior product. I'm firmly against the use of creatines in PWO products and the presence of Kre-Alkalyn here is one I would rather do without. In short, this has too many factors working against it: hideous taste and smell, poor mixability and a moderate, but not very overwhelming effectiveness factor. I can't imagine a subsequent purchase of this.

Why are you against creatine PWO?

Originally Posted by TunaBreath View Post
    Why are you against creatine PWO?
    I think it's borderline useless there and much better utilized elsewhere sometime removed from the workout. Supplementing creatine after waking and before sleep are the most effective times for me personally.

The main reason, though, is that creating "all-in-ones" might be sometimes useful, if someone is supplementing with creatine, it's easier to keep the dosages correct if creatine is kept separate and not added to the PWO formula. If that does not get accounted for, it may lead to a creatine overdose, which is not generally a positive thing to have happen.