Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    missyd143 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

keto diet and cardio? loss of muscle??

Hey i was just wondering if you people do cardio on a keto diet.....i mean can u lose muscle by running for 25 min first thing in the morning? is it better to ride the bike if i wanna keep my leg muscle but wanna lose my stomach..i dont have abig stomach but i wanna be more ripped...is can that be donre by diet alone?? just have my oatmeal in the morning as carbs and the rest protein??
    melissa

Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You won't lose jack **** running 25 minutes except your breath. You need to tone down your cardio and do it longer (45-90 minute range). And yes, proper cardio can cause muscle loss on any low-cal diet. The way to lose fat is to increase catabolic hormones, in this case cortisol. That causes fat reduction, but it also robs muscle of protein, causing potential muscle loss.

William has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William has a spectacular aura about. (+250) William has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Is it just me or has Big Cat been swearing a lot more lately?

Hey Cat, you'd better tone it down or you won't be invited to sponsor Muscle-Tech anytime soon.

hehehehehe, whew...

Sorry, I cracked myself up there.

Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Cat is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Could be, but I'm cutting again. That's probably the reason.

Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally posted by Big Cat
    You won't lose jack **** running 25 minutes except your breath. You need to tone down your cardio and do it longer (45-90 minute range). And yes, proper cardio can cause muscle loss on any low-cal diet. The way to lose fat is to increase catabolic hormones, in this case cortisol. That causes fat reduction, but it also robs muscle of protein, causing potential muscle loss.
    So your saying it would be better to walk for 45 minutes than to run/jog for 30? You don't have any articles explaining this better would you Big Cat? I think that is the first time I've ever heard this concept.

jay12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jay12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jay12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jay12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jay12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jay12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jay12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jay12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jay12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jay12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jay12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Logo, if you're just doing the cardio for cutting fat then yeah go with the lower intensity/longer duration cardio, but if you're trying to improve your health try and, at least, alternate between high and low intensity cardio. All this bodybuilding stuff is great, but if you can't run a mile without wheezing and throwing up are you really in good shape (just my two cents).

Missyd, if you're worried about losing too much muscle from cardio on a keto diet try and wake up in the middle of the night and take in some protein (casein if you can). This should help in muscle sparring. Good luck, Jay

Originally posted by Logo
    So your saying it would be better to walk for 45 minutes than to run/jog for 30? You don't have any articles explaining this better would you Big Cat? I think that is the first time I've ever heard this concept.
    Funny you should ask, I'm working on one, but I don't think I'll finish it this week. I've had a lot of questions about cardio lately. I thought people understood the simplicity of it, but apparently a lot of people are in need of more information.

A slower heart rate avoids burning lactic acid, resulting in a higher amount of adipose tissue being used instead of carbohydrates to fuel the body. The duration of the physical activity also aids in the release of cortisol, which never happens under 30-45 minutes. Hence the range I named. So yes, it is better to walk fast for and hour, than to run for 30 minutes. If you exhaust yourself too soon, all you did was simply make lactic acid and deplete anaerobic energy, you want to train aerobically.

Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Logo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks for the helpful information Big Cat. I'm still learning a lot here. I've always been told to keep the heart rate around 65% of your max for 30-35 minutes. I guess I was told right as far as the intensity is concerned, but was way off when it comes to duration. I'd still like to keep my heart in good shape so I think I'll keep atleast one day each week where I do a bit of running.

smikester has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Clarification

So lets change the recipe for a moment and allow me to ask another question. If i walked for the first 30 minutes and then ran the next 30 would there be continued cortisol to support the weight lose. I wanna lose the weight and work on cardio. Thanks...

fatguy_ftl is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatguy_ftl is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatguy_ftl is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatguy_ftl is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatguy_ftl is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatguy_ftl is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatguy_ftl is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatguy_ftl is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatguy_ftl is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatguy_ftl is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatguy_ftl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by smikester View Post
    So lets change the recipe for a moment and allow me to ask another question. If i walked for the first 30 minutes and then ran the next 30 would there be continued cortisol to support the weight lose. I wanna lose the weight and work on cardio. Thanks...
    bump please!
    "Shut up woman, get on my horse!"

bucknut149 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

is there such a thing as too few calories?

I am 215 lbs and while on this diet there are days where I bet I only take in 1500-1700 calories. Will that slow down my weight loss? You hear about eating too few calories will slow down weight loss, but I am not sure I buy into that. Any thoughts?

Great hair, decent ass otterakl's Avatar
    otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bucknut149 View Post
    I am 215 lbs and while on this diet there are days where I bet I only take in 1500-1700 calories. Will that slow down my weight loss? You hear about eating too few calories will slow down weight loss, but I am not sure I buy into that. Any thoughts?
    Continued calorie restriction can cause lowered leptin levels, which will slow down your fat burning efforts. The best way to combat this is a strategic day of overfeeding. For me, it's every Sunday. Eat whatever you want: pizza, ice cream etc. I was afraid to try it, but since I have been doing it, not only have I lost more weight, I have been able to enjoy some of my guilty pleasure foods once a week.
    Last edited by otterakl; 08-10-2010 at 07:59 PM.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
    -Mark Twain

Yates Row T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yates Row T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yates Row T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yates Row T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yates Row T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yates Row T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yates Row T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yates Row T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yates Row T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yates Row T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yates Row T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by otterakl View Post
    Continued calorie restriction can cause higher leptin levels, which will slow down your fat burning efforts. The best way to combat this is a strategic day of overfeeding. For me, it's every Sunday. Eat whatever you want: pizza, ice cream etc. I was afraid to try it, but since I have been doing it, not only have I lost more weight, I have been able to enjoy some of my guilty pleasure foods once a week.
    this is terrible advice. esp if doing a keto which this thread is old as hell so who knows who will be reading this at this point, carb ups should be as controlled as possible and i would not and do not "eat whatever i want" for a day. a meal or two fine.

haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000) haiz69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Yates Row T View Post
    this is terrible advice. esp if doing a keto which this thread is old as hell so who knows who will be reading this at this point, carb ups should be as controlled as possible and i would not and do not "eat whatever i want" for a day. a meal or two fine.
    Stole the words from my mouth.
    NSCA-CSCS and CPT
    Currently Pursuing A Doctor of Physical Therapy Degree

Great hair, decent ass otterakl's Avatar
    otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Yates Row T View Post
    I would disagree based on not only personal experience but on the advice of several nutrition experts (Joel Marion, John Romaniello, Mike Geary), who advocate a true "cheat" day once a week to recharge the metabolism and encourage fat burning efforts. However, I would only advocate doing this in the case of restricting calories during the other 6 days.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
    -Mark Twain

Yates Row T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yates Row T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yates Row T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yates Row T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yates Row T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yates Row T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yates Row T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yates Row T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yates Row T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yates Row T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Yates Row T is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by otterakl View Post
    I would disagree based on not only personal experience but on the advice of several nutrition experts (Joel Marion, John Romaniello, Mike Geary), who advocate a true "cheat" day once a week to recharge the metabolism and encourage fat burning efforts. However, I would only advocate doing this in the case of restricting calories during the other 6 days.
    i dont know who they are and now i dont want to know. Why must you eat garbage to increase calorie intake or refeed? Ill answer for you, you dont. Dont get me wrong i have a good couple of meals during refeeds but telling people to have a full cheat day and eat junk is just nonsense.

JOWHEY is just really nice. (+1000) JOWHEY is just really nice. (+1000) JOWHEY is just really nice. (+1000) JOWHEY is just really nice. (+1000) JOWHEY is just really nice. (+1000) JOWHEY is just really nice. (+1000) JOWHEY is just really nice. (+1000) JOWHEY is just really nice. (+1000) JOWHEY is just really nice. (+1000) JOWHEY is just really nice. (+1000) JOWHEY is just really nice. (+1000)
    ketofknsucks IMO.... just eat low cal and do 45 min fasted cardio in the morning and if you want to step it up do another 30 mins of cardio towards the end of the day.

Originally Posted by JOWHEY View Post
    ketofknsucks IMO.... just eat low cal and do 45 min fasted cardio in the morning and if you want to step it up do another 30 mins of cardio towards the end of the day.
    have you tried keto? bc this is just more terrible advice and way too general to be taken seriously.

Aurie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aurie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aurie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aurie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aurie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aurie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aurie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aurie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aurie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aurie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aurie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    cardio and restricting "junk" food stripped away my first 100lbs !! that simple ..... that was the easy part , now at 212lbs and 13% BF finding it much harder to progress !!!

tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Diets who needs them, I want to be part of GenX
    Fat Man Typing

TheDopz will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheDopz will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheDopz will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheDopz will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheDopz will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheDopz will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheDopz will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheDopz will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheDopz will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheDopz will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheDopz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Big Cat View Post
    This is the exact opposite of what I've been hearing. Granted this post is 9 years old. I keep reading that low intensity will have a PROPORTIONALLY greater fat:muscle loss ratio, but HIIT will yield greater TOTAL fat loss. Also, aren't cortisol BLOCKERS supposed to help hang on to muscle and lose fat? This guy is wanting cortisol.

Thoughts/input from the more educated?

tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000) tdog69 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Keto = No Cardio
    You are in the negative range, burning good fat for fuel, so why deplete even more by doing cardio. This is why keto works the best for keeping muscle while dieting and to the junk food, hell no you need to re-fuel with whole carbs not empty carbs.
    Fat Man Typing

Drod915 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Drod915 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Drod915 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Drod915 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Drod915 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Drod915 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Drod915 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Drod915 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Drod915 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Drod915 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Drod915 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    HIIT !!!!!!!!!! 'nough said.
    "The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence." -Confucious

jtpowell64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Drod915 View Post
    HIIT !!!!!!!!!! 'nough said.
    I have been in ketosis for over 18 weeks now. I do 2-3 days of cardio, (30-50 min. of HIIT on the elliptical), and lift 2 days, (heavy weight with 8-12 reps). I have lost 63 lbs during that time. I don't have scientific proof, but I know this combo has worked great for me. I have increased my strength, my stamina and endurance, and I never feel that hungry, although I still have food cravings some times. I only have one real cheat meal per month, because I don't want my body to slip out of ketosis. I truly feel like a fat burning machine! Check my bodyspace page and you can see the difference.

Shmutrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shmutrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shmutrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shmutrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shmutrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shmutrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shmutrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shmutrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shmutrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shmutrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shmutrick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Big Cat View Post
    Hence why you increase your protein intake
    [IMG]http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u654/foreveryoungaus16v1/20130801_171241_zps61243394.jpg[/IMG]

DA_MOSS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DA_MOSS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DA_MOSS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DA_MOSS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DA_MOSS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DA_MOSS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DA_MOSS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DA_MOSS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DA_MOSS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DA_MOSS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DA_MOSS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    strong bumps
    Proud member of the Who Dat Nation since '87!

Sky Dive Crew

samps6 is just really nice. (+1000) samps6 is just really nice. (+1000) samps6 is just really nice. (+1000) samps6 is just really nice. (+1000) samps6 is just really nice. (+1000) samps6 is just really nice. (+1000) samps6 is just really nice. (+1000) samps6 is just really nice. (+1000) samps6 is just really nice. (+1000) samps6 is just really nice. (+1000) samps6 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jtpowell64 View Post
    I have been in ketosis for over 18 weeks now. I do 2-3 days of cardio, (30-50 min. of HIIT on the elliptical), and lift 2 days, (heavy weight with 8-12 reps). I have lost 63 lbs during that time. I don't have scientific proof, but I know this combo has worked great for me. I have increased my strength, my stamina and endurance, and I never feel that hungry, although I still have food cravings some times. I only have one real cheat meal per month, because I don't want my body to slip out of ketosis. I truly feel like a fat burning machine! Check my bodyspace page and you can see the difference.
    strong bump..

if you cand do 30-50min of HIIT, you are not doing HIIT, or at least not at 100% intensity.
    Favourite diet:
    Eating all day long Or Intermittent Fasting.

Favourite Supps:
    Joints: Animal flex, Collagen, Vit-C... etc
    Pre-WO stack: CAffeine+CM+AAKG+L-Arginine+BA
    Essentials: multivit, O3, Creatine Monohidrate
    Others: F95, Evomuse Abliderate

Must Unify Korea 나는 한국 통합 KimJong-il's Avatar
    KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000) KimJong-il is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by missyd143 View Post
    Hey i was just wondering if you people do cardio on a keto diet.....i mean can u lose muscle by running for 25 min first thing in the morning? is it better to ride the bike if i wanna keep my leg muscle but wanna lose my stomach..i dont have abig stomach but i wanna be more ripped...is can that be donre by diet alone?? just have my oatmeal in the morning as carbs and the rest protein??
    Its more complicated, it involved various factors such as how hard your cutting, how your overall diet quality is as well as your training program, over-training issues and more. Done well you can minimize muscle loss, but on any diet some muscle loss can occur when cutting (or you can recomp if your really good.)
    Supreme Leader of Thermolife

의 최고 지도자 Thermolife

Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000) Wilde is just really nice. (+1000)
    Get as scientific as you want everyone, I got shredded with a whole cheat day every week with every other day being strict. Results don't lie, you mad?
    Bodybuilding is all about image not numbers, when you're up on stage your lifting stats and bodyfat % means nothing to the judges.

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Wilde View Post
    Get as scientific as you want everyone, I got shredded with a whole cheat day every week with every other day being strict. Results don't lie, you mad?
    litte mad that you bumped this thread just to brag but other than that no
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total