Closed Thread
Page 392 of 455 FirstFirst ... 292 342 382 390 391 392 393 394 402 442 ... LastLast
Results 11,731 to 11,760 of 13648
    vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by bango skank View Post
    FINALLY, I found a picture:

See how his elbows are almost in line with his shoulders? That can only be accomplished by bringing the bar practically down on your neck though. Also his grip is too wide, so his forearms aren't perpendicular to the floor. Plus the bar is to far back on his palms, causing too much wrist extension. Everything about this is wrong.

Is Sepandee doing either of those things? (I think no.)
    Thanks. That's exactly what I meant.
    The guys who claim "I did GOMAD and got fat" are just stupid. - Dave76

sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    FINALLY, I found a picture:

See how his elbows are almost in line with his shoulders? That can only be accomplished by bringing the bar practically down on your neck though. Also his grip is too wide, so his forearms aren't perpendicular to the floor. Everything about this is wrong.

Is Sepandee doing either of those things? (I think no.)
    No, I definitely bring the bar to my nipples, and my forearm is 100% perpendicular to the floor. My glutes are on the bench, my neck is tight, my shoulder blades are pinched together, my back is tight and arched, chest is out, and feet are on the floor, not on the bench. And this still makes me feel like my rotator cuff injury is slowly creeping on me.

bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by sepandee View Post
    No, I definitely bring the bar to my nipples, and my forearm is 100% perpendicular to the floor. My glutes are on the bench, my neck is tight, my shoulder blades are pinched together, my back is tight and arched, chest is out, and feet are on the floor, not on the bench. And this still makes me feel like my rotator cuff injury is slowly creeping on me.
    you should post this on Strengthmill. If your form is correct, you may have to substitute dumbbell bench press or dips.
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166936131

Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by zeeeeeee View Post
    Week 1
    Monday: Squat/Bench Press/Chinup
    Wednseday: Front squat/Press/Deadlift
    Friday: Squat/Bench press/Pullup

Week 2
    Monday: Squat/Press/Chinup
    Wednseday: Front squat/Bench Press/Row or clean
    Friday: Squat/Press/Pullup

All sets 3x5, deadlifts 1x5 and chinups 3x8-15. Got this one out of the ripptoe's program writeup as you can see.

I just wanted to make sure of a few things.

1: Why are deadlifts done once in 2 weeks?

2: I've read the writeup but I am not sure if I should still be progressing with an exercise every time I do it. The writeup says that intermediates progress on a weekly basis. Does that mean I should be happy if I am only able to increase weights once a week.

3: It says that the same rules apply for accessory work. I am still not sure where to add Dips. Really love them. But should I even be adding them?

Thanks a lot!
    Sorry, I haven't had a chance to check out your journal yet. If you don't hear from me by tomorrow, remind me, please.

1. That's a little different version of the program. Please do the cleans and not the rows. If you don't want to do the cleans, just do deadlifts every week. If you do deadlifts every two weeks, there's a good chance you can get away with two heavy sets and still recover. Just have a considerable rest period between the two sets. The cleans, if used, act as kind of a DE (westside terminology for dynamic effort) day for the deadlift.

2. Yes, you should progress every workout, even if only two pounds. If you've reached the point that you can't do that, you need to move to intermediate training. I really need to look at your journal.

3. Personally, I don't think dips add much to the program. I've never seen Rip teach them to a novice. If you want to do them, throw in a couple of sets on bench press days.

Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dave76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by vicjg View Post
    Apparently we've all been mislead by Rippetoe. We should immediately stop squatting and replace it with SLDL.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=107521321
    I think I showed great restraint in that thead. I don't neg very often but I was about an inch away. First he told you that you need to "learn" and then told me I was making "dumb" assumptions.

My main concern was that the OP heard a different side of the story. Mission accomplished.

vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vicjg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
    I think I showed great restraint in that thead. I don't neg very often but I was about an inch away. First he told you that you need to "learn" and then told me I was making "dumb" assumptions.

My main concern was that the OP heard a different side of the story. Mission accomplished.
    I've always said, that I have yet to e-meet anyone who has your patience. I nominate you for e-sainthood.

sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50) sepandee will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I just read the thread, and I didn't show 'great restraint.' Negged.

zeeeeeee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zeeeeeee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zeeeeeee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zeeeeeee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zeeeeeee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zeeeeeee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zeeeeeee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zeeeeeee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zeeeeeee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zeeeeeee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sorry, I haven't had a chance to check out your journal yet. If you don't hear from me by tomorrow, remind me, please.

1. That's a little different version of the program. Please do the cleans and not the rows. If you don't want to do the cleans, just do deadlifts every week. If you do deadlifts every two weeks, there's a good chance you can get away with two heavy sets and still recover. Just have a considerable rest period between the two sets. The cleans, if used, act as kind of a DE (westside terminology for dynamic effort) day for the deadlift.

2. Yes, you should progress every workout, even if only two pounds. If you've reached the point that you can't do that, you need to move to intermediate training. I really need to look at your journal.

3. Personally, I don't think dips add much to the program. I've never seen Rip teach them to a novice. If you want to do them, throw in a couple of sets on bench press days.
    Thanks for the reply Dave. I'll make sure I remind you

Actually, this variation is for intermediates. According to the writeup if you do a reset twice or are stalling on a number of lift you've reached the intermediate stage. That's what happened to me.

I'll be more then happy to drop the rows. They just didn't feel right to me, despite all my efforts to do them correctly.

darinaldi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darinaldi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darinaldi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darinaldi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darinaldi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darinaldi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darinaldi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darinaldi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darinaldi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darinaldi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) darinaldi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

I showed no such restraint and quite happily put him into the red.

EDIT: Who have you ever negged, Dave?
    ***Anyone With "Crew" in Their Signature Sucks Balls Crew***

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by sepandee View Post
    I just read the thread, and I didn't show 'great restraint.' Negged.
    Same

Originally Posted by darinaldi View Post
    EDIT: Who have you ever negged, Dave?
    Well, one day, everything was going wrong for me. I mean EVERYTHING. Work, home life, kids asking for money, etc. The next thing I know, some smart ass comes into this thread and complains about something. Hmm... I can't quite remember who he was...

LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hey Dave or anyone for that matter I had a question regarding cleans in this program. I know its not recommened that a person change the routine but I was wondernig about switching cleans and military presses with a simple clean and press? What do you guys think?

and if you think its okay how should the setup look?
    mon
    squat
    row
    bench

wed
    squat
    clean and press
    deadlift

fri
    squat
    row
    bench
    ?
    Last edited by LoganX; 04-30-2008 at 12:46 PM.

nsavarirayan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsavarirayan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsavarirayan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsavarirayan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsavarirayan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsavarirayan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsavarirayan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsavarirayan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsavarirayan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsavarirayan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsavarirayan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Pulling the knees together is a sign of weak adductors. The adductors pull the knees together without moving the bar and place more of the lift on the quads.

Out of the hole, don't even think about pushing with the feet. Think about lifting the butt straight up. The cue is to lift the hips. That magically helps get the hams involved in the lower part of the lift. It's not exactly the bounce but it's part of the process.
    Thanks for the response Dave. I had my gym workout today. After spending some time again reading the knee section in SS under squats I tried to make sure my knees did not rotate inwards while lifting up. I found that at the weight I am doing its impossible for me to get the bar up without bringing me knees in to hel me get going up. So obivoulsy that tells me my form is bad and I am using way too much weight. So next workout I am dropping down maybe at least 20 pounds and make sure my knees don't go in. This is also causing me to drop my neck forwards and is straining it!

Another question: Rows.

In the sticky you say to bring your elbows back behind your back - does that mean my elbows should not be staying close to my body as I lift the weight? I was corrected by someone at the gym today who was actually familiar with what workout I was doing (he knew about ripp) but said I was doing the row wrong. He said my elbows were just pulling back in close to my body and should be out away from my body when I pull the wieght up. Is this correct?

Anyway, when I tried his method i found it much more difficult and know in this exercise looks like I have the wrong form and to correct it will need much less weight!! Damn there goes my progress.

Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by LoganX View Post
    hey Dave or anyone for that matter I had a question regarding cleans in this program. I know its not recommened that a person change the routine but I was wondernig about switching cleans and military presses with a simple clean and press? What do you guys think?

mon
    squat
    row
    bench

wed
    squat
    clean and press
    deadlift

fri
    squat
    row
    bench
    ?
    I predict an answer of don't change the program. Esp since, as written, you do no OH press and only do one clean and press for every two bench workouts.

Why not do it as written with OH Press (not military press, exactly) and power cleans?

mon
    squat
    row
    bench

wed
    squat
    clean and press
    deadlift

fri
    squat
    row
    bench
    ?
    Why?

bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Well, for one thing your clean would be limited by your press. For example, I can PC 185x5x3, but I can only Press 150x3x5.
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166936131

LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoganX is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well, for one thing your clean would be limited by your press. For example, I can PC 185x5x3, but I can only Press 150x3x5.
    it was just a thought I was doing cleans and was just sitting there looking at the weight and thinking about it.

DeeTek08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DeeTek08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DeeTek08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DeeTek08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DeeTek08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DeeTek08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DeeTek08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DeeTek08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DeeTek08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DeeTek08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DeeTek08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Dave,

On the press, I let the bar roll down the fingers and then roll it back down to my palms. The weight is getting heavier, so I gotta push press one or two reps. Or is it to where I will have to deweight or reset?

Don't buttwink on the squat, Bring the bar down to delts on the Military Press, and Don't fall back on your heels during the power clean. Are these the only mistakes that I must correct??

it was just a thought I was doing cleans and was just sitting there looking at the weight and thinking about it.
    For future reference Ripp wrote this program based on a whole HELL of a lot more than that. If you can't even articulate a reason why you want to change the program, don't even waste mental energy thinking aobut it. Let alone asking in this thread.

wow relax

Originally Posted by DeeTek08 View Post
    Dave,

On the press, I let the bar roll down the fingers and then roll it back down to my palms. The weight is getting heavier, so I gotta push press one or two reps. Or is it to where I will have to deweight or reset?
    If the bar rolls down to the fingers, it will bend your hands back. I would think that would be a little painful on the wrists. If you have to do a push press, it's time to reset. Push presses are good but that's not what we're doing here. You're not bringing the bar all the way down either. It will be even harder for you when you do that.

Don't buttwink on the squat, Bring the bar down to delts on the Military Press, and Don't fall back on your heels during the power clean. Are these the only mistakes that I must correct??
    Oh no, there's much, much more.

mon
    squat
    row
    bench

wed
    squat
    clean and press
    deadlift

fri
    squat
    row
    bench
    ?
    A true clean and press is something you don't know how to do. Done properly, it's done as a jump press and you wind up with one leg in front of you and one behind you. Then you take a step to bring both legs together. I'm betting you didn't have all this in mind.

I'll ask Rip about it and see if he bites my head off. The first problem that I see is that you wouldn't have a 1:1 ratio of overhead to bench pressing. I know that's a problem. Rip likes to stay at that ratio. If you are going to do it, you'd at least need to alternate between bench and clean/press.

I don't much like the idea but I don't really know why. Like I said, I'll mention it to Rip.

sw1rmd85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sw1rmd85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sw1rmd85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sw1rmd85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sw1rmd85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sw1rmd85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sw1rmd85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sw1rmd85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sw1rmd85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sw1rmd85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sw1rmd85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i'm starting to think dave and rip are the same person. They're about the same age, but are total opposites. They both have threads on a forum, but Dave is extremely patient and Rip just elbow drops people. When they were younger, Rip was a cocky kid who worked out and thought he knew everything; Dave rocked a pocket protector, dominated school, and therefore did know everything. Dave has physics; Rip, biology.

It reminds me of how clark kent was the clumsy, shy alter ego of the confident superman. I think i am on to something: Dave is just the nice side, and when someone needs to get put in place, Rip is "asked".

ctulloch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ctulloch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ctulloch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ctulloch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ctulloch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ctulloch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ctulloch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ctulloch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ctulloch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ctulloch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ctulloch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by sw1rmd85 View Post
    i'm starting to think dave and rip are the same person. They're about the same age, but are total opposites. They both have threads on a forum, but Dave is extremely patient and Rip just elbow drops people. When they were younger, Rip was a cocky kid who worked out and thought he knew everything; Dave rocked a pocket protector, dominated school, and therefore did know everything. Dave has physics; Rip, biology.

It reminds me of how clark kent was the clumsy, shy alter ego of the confident superman. I think i am on to something: Dave is just the nice side, and when someone needs to get put in place, Rip is "asked".
    Awesome. Repped.

That is awsome. Repped again

keperkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Newbie to Starting Strength. I am on about page 130 of this thread. Skimming as I go.

I am coming off a 11 week cut. Will start the program upon returning from vacation in about 2 weeks. Oh how I wish I had known about Starting Strength a year ago. Anyway, better late than never.

This past December I had shoulder surgery. I can perform all of the required lifts with minimal pain. My biggest concern, however, is arm/hand position on the squat.

Due to my shoulder issue, I must grip the bar rather widely. I have been working on flexibility since surgery and it simply is not getting much better. My old routine called for 20 rep squats so there was no way to keep my hand position near my ears for 20 reps. I am hoping that will change for 5 reps.

If not, what is the downside of not being able to grip the bar close to my ears?

drinking bro-toberfest Fasttaker's Avatar
    Fasttaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fasttaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fasttaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fasttaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fasttaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fasttaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fasttaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fasttaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fasttaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fasttaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fasttaker is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You all hate my warm-up calculator, don't you!
    Actually, I just looked at your jpg for it and that's exactly what I'm already doing! Well, for squats at least. I'm not doing 2 sets of warm-ups with an empty bar for the other exercises.

The one place where I seem to really go my own way, as far as warm-ups, is with deadlifts. I just don't see how 3 warmups can be enough when you're doing one maximum set of 5. So, yeah, I even go against Rip on that one (my balls just grew as I typed that), and warm up deadlifts almost as much as squats.

[/QUOTE]

sw1rmd85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sw1rmd85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sw1rmd85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sw1rmd85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sw1rmd85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sw1rmd85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sw1rmd85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sw1rmd85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sw1rmd85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sw1rmd85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sw1rmd85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Fasttaker View Post
    Actually, I just looked at your jpg for it and that's exactly what I'm already doing! Well, for squats at least. I'm not doing 2 sets of warm-ups with an empty bar for the other exercises.

The one place where I seem to really go my own way, as far as warm-ups, is with deadlifts. I just don't see how 3 warmups can be enough when you're doing one maximum set of 5. So, yeah, I even go against Rip on that one (my balls just grew as I typed that), and warm up deadlifts almost as much as squats.
    squatting warms you up for deads; hence less warmups

Originally Posted by keperkey View Post
    Newbie to Starting Strength. I am on about page 130 of this thread. Skimming as I go.

I am coming off a 11 week cut. Will start the program upon returning from vacation in about 2 weeks. Oh how I wish I had known about Starting Strength a year ago. Anyway, better late than never.

This past December I had shoulder surgery. I can perform all of the required lifts with minimal pain. My biggest concern, however, is arm/hand position on the squat.

Due to my shoulder issue, I must grip the bar rather widely. I have been working on flexibility since surgery and it simply is not getting much better. My old routine called for 20 rep squats so there was no way to keep my hand position near my ears for 20 reps. I am hoping that will change for 5 reps.

If not, what is the downside of not being able to grip the bar close to my ears?
    it will just require more effort to stay tight, but nonetheless, very doable

keperkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    it will just require more effort to stay tight, but nonetheless, very doable
    Would I be better off with the wider grip or investing in a safety bar or buffalo bar (per the sticky)? FYI - I work out at home.

While my weight is lower (say under 200 lbs), I am thinking the wider grip will be ok, but as I progress, I am thinking different bar.

Thoughts?

Closed Thread
Page 392 of 455 FirstFirst ... 292 342 382 390 391 392 393 394 402 442 ... LastLast