Jimi69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jimi69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jimi69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Question shaving and tanning

when getting ready for a competition when should you begin shaving. What about razor burn? How many day before should you shave? What kind of shaving cream should be used? Should you shave in the shower? How many weeks before a competition should you start tanning?

XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I should first note that I am newbie in the world of competitive bodybuilding, but here are my thoughts on the matter:

Tanning: Start tanning early you need to have an established base tan so when you piling on the bronzers and such, you will have a nice color. I have seen people actually turn orange and green before....not a good sight.

Shaving: Again, start early. I am going to shave as soon as the diet starts. I know thats way early, but I would rather get used to it, deal with razor burn and such early and get it out of the way. That way in the last few days precontest, it will just be a normal thing and I wont have any more challenges. In terms of where to do it...the shower is the only way to go. I just use my Mach 3 and the Nivea gel...thats about all there is too it. I would also recommend hacking down the hair with a buzzer first, just to save time and razor blades.

Sean
    B.S. Exercise Science, Philosophy, Creighton University 2003

CSCS, NSCA-CPT

Member of TEAM KLEMCZEWSKI
    www.thedietdoc.com

"His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.”

-President Theodore Roosevelt

Fckin Catalina Wine Mixa! Fletch's Avatar
    Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally posted by XTRMEWJ
    Tanning: Start tanning early you need to have an established base tan so when you piling on the bronzers and such, you will have a nice color. I have seen people actually turn orange and green before....not a good sight.
    Good thing your first line was that disclaimer.

An established base tan is not needed. Begin using ProTan as early as 2 weeks out at every other day. DreamTan is for the day of the contest. It applies like a lotion. Patting it helps blend the product.

I have a very light complexion and had the best tan on stage with those bright stage lights. Anything outside of the stage and I looked like I had changed race.

XTRMEWJ is pretty accurate about the shaving. Using an electric shaver will save on razor blades. If you end up with some razor burn in the final week....don't let it bug ya since the Dream Tan covers up damn near everything. (including my tattoo!)

- Fletch
    Find us on ********!
    http://www.********.com/pages/Tampa-Teddy-Wireless/177454788957743

SummersGirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

shaving and tanning

Please email me for my take on tanning and shaving. I will send you a countdown starting about 20 days out. (I suggest a base tan, unless you have been advised to not use a tanning bed)

Christinasummers@charter.net

Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I stongly disagree with Fletch... you do need a good base tan to appear more "naturally" dark. Without a good base your tan looks "fake" (and although it is) you don't want it to appear so.

Electric shavers can irritate the skin as much or more so than razors just because they are performing their work dry. Shave in the tub where you can keep your body moist and lathered with shaving gel.

Start shaving when you start dieting and don't shave too close to contest day as shaving will make your skin a bit puffy and you do NOT want that on contest day. By starting to shave early you can find out how long your hair tends to grow back to a length that you would not want to appear on stage like. I usually try and do my last shaving on Monday for a Friday night prejudging but that can vary from person to person. I may have a bit of stuble in some places but it is not as noticble as a smoothed out physique.... but then, what would I know?

nuff said...
    Holder of 4 National NPC Weight Class Titles in 4 different weight classes... all with perfect scores
    1998 NPC USA Bantamweight
    2003 NPC Masters National Lightweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Welterweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Middleweight (over 50)

XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10) XTRMEWJ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am not going to disagree with you too much here Fletch, but I have seen a couple of guys with no base tan get up there looking terrible...now they clearly did not start applying base coats of protantwo weeks out, so that is a big factor...but I think its real tough to go wrong with a strong base tan. I am very fair skinned(read: scandavian decent) and what I consider a solid base tan would have most other ethnicities laughing at me...so its really varies.

Sean

CSCS, NSCA-CPT

www.thedietdoc.com

"His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.”

Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fletch is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My definition of "base" tan is one that is naturally obtained by the sunshine. We must be on a different page. If you consider the use of Protan for obtaining a "base" tan then I'm sorry for misinterpreting you.

ProTan or a stain is a necessity if you are of a lighter complexion.
    Dream Tan 2 goes over your many ProTan coats.

- Fletch
    Find us on ********!

We are now on the same page. lol

Sean

CSCS, NSCA-CPT

www.thedietdoc.com

lifter_dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you might want to try nair, instead of shaving or something of that sort. It shouldnt give u ingrown hairs, but does burn a bit.

i like shaving early since the first time you do it you will feel patheticaly scrawny.

KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by lifter_dude
    you might want to try nair, instead of shaving or something of that sort. It shouldnt give u ingrown hairs, but does burn a bit.

i like shaving early since the first time you do it you will feel patheticaly scrawny.
    Are you saying that when you shave your legs you look smaller? I've heard you look bigger.... I'm hoping you don't look smaller lol I have yet to shave them, but I'm contemplating shaving them sooner than spring break (i may do a competition in the beginning of June, but I'm definitely doing one in July). Anyone else have any opinion on what you look like when you shave for the first time? Thanks.

no you definitely look more impressive, but its a huge mental thing, you feel much lighter and more pathetic.

All bodyparts appear more defined after they are freshly shaved. (especially calves, quads, and arms)

- Fletch
    Find us on ********!

KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just wanted to give an update on this... Tonight I shaved my legs for the first time ever... after I trimmed down the hair, it took me one hour and 15 minutes in the shower to actually SHAVE the hair off of my legs. After I did my right leg (30 minutes), I took a break and sat down for a bit, then I did the second leg (about 45 minutes). All in all I'd say it was probably one of the worst experiences of my life LOL Being in a shower that long, bending down was just horrendous.... Hopefully the upkeep will be MUCH shorter since I won't have to shake off the blade ever inch or so that I shaved... Later.

wow...it took you that long? Thats unreal. I simply took my hair buzzer to the it when it was long...so there was 10 minutes..maybe. Then it was off to the shower and I would say that it took me maybe 5 minutes per leg, if that. Whatever works though...

As for the upkeep...I think that is specific to everybody. I have to shave them once every 4 days or else they turn into a a big pile of stubble which feels nasty. I am planning on shaving for the contest 2 days out...

Sean

CSCS, NSCA-CPT

www.thedietdoc.com

God damn 5 minutes per leg?! Well, the shortest attachment/protection thing (forgot the name of it) I had for the trimmer was a No. 2, so my hair wasn't THAT short when I entered the shower... plus I had a good bit of hair on my legs hehe.

Originally posted by KarateChris
    God damn 5 minutes per leg?! Well, the shortest attachment/protection thing (forgot the name of it) I had for the trimmer was a No. 2, so my hair wasn't THAT short when I entered the shower... plus I had a good bit of hair on my legs hehe.
    Dont' worry Chris, it took me a long time to do it the first time too. I shave them every 4 days now. I can't imagine being my wife who shaves everyday in the winter and every other day in the summer.

- Fletch
    Find us on ********!

I **** you not...5 minutes per leg. Once you get that hair hacked down with a buzzer the Mach 3 cuts the rest like butter. The problem is that its not just the legs youa re shaving. The arms, the torso, the legs, ect...that takes a while when you have to do it all.

I should also add that there was a couple of minutes worth of touch up once I got out of the shower...if its the first time you are doing it, then you are sure to miss a spot or two...

Sean

CSCS, NSCA-CPT

www.thedietdoc.com

Okay guys, I've got another problem. I have razor bumps... BAD on my legs. Is there anything I can do to prevent this in the future and to hurry the healing process of this? Or do I have to go see a doctor? I'm applying lotion now. I didn't apply lotion after I shaved them (stupid me), but I'm applying it now to hopefully dull some of the pain (kills me everytime I sit down or move). I will also wait a damn good while to shave them again (Let the hairs grow out as much as possible until the bumps go away). Unfortunately, the bumps are caused by the hair growing back into the skin, so hopefully I won't have to take medication to prevent this (or if it becomes infected). I had to stop shaving with a regular blade on my face because I use to get ingrown hairs bad to the point that they would become very infected (have to shave with an electric razor on my face now). Thanks for any input. Later.

I had some nasty-ass bumps on my quads the first time I shaved them...not only are they terrible looking, but they frickin hurt too when you wear pants. Here is what I do: Right after you shave, hit them with aftershave. Its hurts, but its a small price to pay. Then I use some kind of lotion....lately I have been using the Nivea stuff...works fine...it'll clear up though, no worries. Also, what brand of razor are you shaving them with? If you are not using a Mach 3, go get one...nothing else compares and it'll run you like 10 bucks...a SMALL price to pay...

Sean

CSCS, NSCA-CPT

www.thedietdoc.com

EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey guys,

I use hair clippers without any guard to shave everywhere.

The pair I have shaves just as close as my blade razor without giving ANY razorbumps or irritation.

It takes me about 10 or fifteen minutes for my whole body.
    Off Season I shave my arms and chest about every other day ( takes 3-4 minutes max ) and my legs about once per week ( 5-10 minutes total )

It takes a little more time to shave for competition because I really take my time and make sure I don't miss anywhere, but
    I'll NEVER shave my body with a blade razor again.

If any of you have problem with irritation or bumps, I would definitely try using hair clippers.

- EME

Hey, as an update, the bumps have gone down a lot since I've saturated my legs with lotion lol. Next time I shave my legs, I'll be sure to only shave with the hair, and apply lotion immediately following shaving. And yes, I shave with a Mach 3 and I use Skintimate shave gel. EME, I don't think my skin would like using those clippers with no guard on them. My neck gets irritated when the hair stylist uses that to shave the back of my neck hehe so I don't even want to try that on my legs. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) EME is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Chris,

I have the same problem when the barber uses his clippers on my neck also.. but the ones I use are different than the ones the stylist use.

The clippers I use are the ones you can buy at WalMart that are for home use. They are made differently than the professional ones and you can't adjust the blade so close that it will actually cut your skin. The professional clippers have an even closer tolerance than the home use clippers, but the tolerance on the home clippers is still tight enough that you can't see any hair.

Also, when your stylist trims up your hairline they generally push the edge of the clipper straight down to create a straight line.
    When I shave I slide the blade along the skin instead of pressing it down blade first...

Anyway.. it's just another option for anyone that gets irritated from blade shaving.

Use the info as you will! :-)

- EME

why dont u guys try nair, or something of the sort. i use it and it works pretty well, it burns a little but is quick and doesnt give much irritation.
    if you dont even try for one more rep, what is the point?

I've actually tried the chemical hair removers, and although they did remove hair, for me, they didn't remove all the hair and I had to go back over with the clippers to get everything.

- EME

Originally posted by lifter_dude
    why dont u guys try nair, or something of the sort. i use it and it works pretty well, it burns a little but is quick and doesnt give much irritation.

HulkAsh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HulkAsh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HulkAsh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HulkAsh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HulkAsh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HulkAsh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What is good to prevent or to help prevent the shaving bumps on the best and on the arms?

Also, how often does everyone shave their body in the off-season?

yebokmj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Shaving

I have sensitive skin and have found best results with the Sensor Excell and Dove liquid body wash for the shaving cream. It works really reall well lasts for ever. On the days I'm not shaving I use the Dove Gentle Exfoliating body wash version to keep the skin clear and prevent in grown hairs. I personally shave ever other day or every third. I also always shave with the grain not against on my chest and legs. Arms I can go either way and be okay.
    Hope this helps some people
    Joshua

hydrogen_wv will become famous soon enough. (+50) hydrogen_wv will become famous soon enough. (+50) hydrogen_wv will become famous soon enough. (+50) hydrogen_wv will become famous soon enough. (+50) hydrogen_wv will become famous soon enough. (+50) hydrogen_wv will become famous soon enough. (+50) hydrogen_wv will become famous soon enough. (+50) hydrogen_wv will become famous soon enough. (+50) hydrogen_wv will become famous soon enough. (+50) hydrogen_wv will become famous soon enough. (+50) hydrogen_wv will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I just shavedmy pits and legs the other day (no comp...i just hate body hair...plus my legs look more ripped when shaved). I had great luck with my panasonic wet/dry electric shaver, and some cocoa butter lotion afterward....I'm going to try nair next time though...I didn't have any razor burn at all with my electric razor the first time i shaved my legs, and i did it dry.
    ht: 5'9"
    wt: 155.5lbs
    biceps: 14"
    chest: 38"
    waist: 29.25"
    forearms: 12.25"
    calves: 14.25"
    quads: 19.5"
    bf: 6%
    bench 1rm: 210lb
    deadlift 1rm: 350lb
    squat 1rm: 245lb

Aitaronz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aitaronz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aitaronz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aitaronz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aitaronz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aitaronz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aitaronz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aitaronz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aitaronz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aitaronz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aitaronz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The other day someone showed me an incredibly comprehensive, unbiased guide to hair removal - covering just about every technique you could think of... Well worth a look!

http://www.hairfacts.com/

It also has a set of forums attached to it... including one specifically for bodybuilders (very few posts in that one, but it's the thought that counts!)
    The other forums seem to be more informative, particularly on techniques like laser, electrolisis, shaving, waxing, various products and brand names, etc...

http://www.hairtell.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Hope this helps