Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Guinnessdog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Compound lifts and eating heavy...it's that simple.

Well at least it worked for me. Just wanted to say thanks to the contributors on here. Haven't posted much because it was easy enough to find the answers just by looking. I have followed a very basic routine for about three months and have managed to go from 184 to 202 lbs. (6'1")
    Mon
    Flat Bench 5x5 (1RM improved from 180 to 220)
    Incline DD 5x5
    Dips 4x10
    Skull Crushers 5x5

Tues
    Deadlifts 5x5 (This was the most stunning growth. 175 to 1RM of 300)
    Bent Over Rows 5x5
    Pull ups (Wide Grip) 5x5
    DB Curls Till Failure starting with 35 lbs and going up by 5

Wed
    Abs (From a t-mag article)

Thursday
    Standing Military Press 5x5
    Lateral Raises 5x5
    Alternating DB Press 5x5
    Shrugs 5x5

Friday
    Squats 5x5 (Unfortunately I'm stuck with a Smith Machine so I have no idea on what a real 1RM would be)
    SLDL 5x5
    Leg Press 5x5
    Seated Calf Raises 5x5

Eating a ton (clean!) and creatine and Muscle Milk. I know this honeymoon won't last forever, but I'm surprised at all the "newbie" struggles and tribulations. Compound and diet will get it rolling for sure. Thanks again for all the great info that gets put out. It helps more people than you might realize.

Jimineye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Compound lifts and eating heavy...it's that simple.

Originally posted by Guinnessdog
    Well at least it worked for me. Just wanted to say thanks to the contributors on here. Haven't posted much because it was easy enough to find the answers just by looking. I have followed a very basic routine for about three months and have managed to go from 184 to 202 lbs. (6'1")
    Mon
    Flat Bench 5x5 (1RM improved from 180 to 220)
    Incline DD 5x5
    Dips 4x10
    Skull Crushers 5x5

Tues
    Deadlifts 5x5 (This was the most stunning growth. 175 to 1RM of 300)
    Bent Over Rows 5x5
    Pull ups (Wide Grip) 5x5
    DB Curls Till Failure starting with 35 lbs and going up by 5

Wed
    Abs (From a t-mag article)

Thursday
    Standing Military Press 5x5
    Lateral Raises 5x5
    Alternating DB Press 5x5
    Shrugs 5x5

Friday
    Squats 5x5 (Unfortunately I'm stuck with a Smith Machine so I have no idea on what a real 1RM would be)
    SLDL 5x5
    Leg Press 5x5
    Seated Calf Raises 5x5

Eating a ton (clean!) and creatine and Muscle Milk. I know this honeymoon won't last forever, but I'm surprised at all the "newbie" struggles and tribulations. Compound and diet will get it rolling for sure. Thanks again for all the great info that gets put out. It helps more people than you might realize.
    Congratulations bro, keep up the good work. I also notice the most gains in strength and size coming from Deads. 20 pounds in 3 months is really good. What is your bf% about before and after?

Thanks man. I know it's bad not to know, but I've never had my bf% done. I've always been pretty lucky to stay lean even with a crappy diet. I do know that Even while gaining the 20 lbs I managed to knock off a full inch on my waist. 34" to 33". I haven't noticed any fat gain at all, but I'm sure all the gains aren't muscle. If it starts showing up, I'll just cut back on the diet.

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    it's really not that simple tho
    it's that simple if you are after some results
    if you are trying to turn yourself into a top tier athlete or champion bodybuilder it's not just a different page, it's a whole different book

Fair enough. But let's be honest. What percentage of the gen. pop. is trying to be a top tier athlete or champion bodybuilder. And of those who do have that for a goal, how many are even going to come close. The notion that you can "turn yourself into a top tier athlete" is a bit misguided. Much of that is truly genetic. With a great deal of hard work thrown in, of course. I'll settle for 210 lbs and low body fat. I have neither the time or the inclination to put in the effort it would take for much more. I don't view that as a negative. It's realistic for me. And at 28, I'm not going to be a top tier athlete. So in essence I agree with you. If you want to be David Boston or Arnold, it's not that simple. For someone looking to gain mass and just starting out, it is. And that demographic makes up a huge portion of people hitting the weights....

DAlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree with that, everyone works out for their own reasons and different goals. I do it for me, the way I look, and feel. I absolutly have no intentions of being an athlete or Arnald. but I do want to look like and BE in the best physical and mental condition I can. I have also gained about 25 pounds in 5 months with heavy lifting and a clean diet (no cheating). Congrats bro! stories of success are a motivation for us all, and kudos to the members of this forum that give us GOOD advice based on facts and experiences.
    You are what you eat, You are what you lift, You are who you are, Do the best with what god gave you to work with, and be happy with it!

sqweeze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I love it when people post about the 1950's workout 5 by 5, if you see results with this workout you would see ten times better results doing something else.

Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by sqweeze
    I love it when people post about the 1950's workout 5 by 5, if you see results with this workout you would see ten times better results doing something else.
    Maybe that is true, but if you see results with any workout then you shouldn't change it.

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    wow so if you put 10 lbs on your bench in a month with 5x5's
    and you did 1 set of pushups a week for a month (as that does qualify as SOMETHING ELSE) then you'd have gained 100 lbs on your bench

thanks for being a dumbass sqweeze w/out you I'd not laugh half as much as I do

something you dont understand kane fan, when your a beginner or doing a new workout its easier to gain muscle and strength at the start of it. Lifting does not get easier as you go but harder. You should go up 10 pounds in one workout , not one month. No i dont mean ten pounds every workout . But anyone should be able to go up 10 pounds and if you do hit its possible to increase by 30 or more pounds in one workout.

Laying the Smackdown. Rocky_Maivia's Avatar
    Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    But anyone should be able to go up 10 pounds and if you do hit its possible to increase by 30 or more pounds in one workout.
    52 weeks X 30lbs = 1560

you should be able to add 1560lbs to all of your lifts each year. Don't quote me on this because it's sqweeze's theory.
    neg reds on sight crew

Jimineye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Rocky_Maivia
    52 weeks X 30lbs = 1560

you should be able to add 1560lbs to all of your lifts each year. Don't quote me on this because it's sqweeze's theory.
    Lol!!!

I wish I could add 1560 pounds on my curl. Move over Ronnie Coleman.

I'm happy with 10-15 pounds in a month on some of my compound lifts.

yep, you didnt read my post i see. go back and you will see i said it was easier to gain at the start of a workout and you can go up more than just 5 pounds or one rep. After you continue with the workout you dont go up 30 pounds every workout, but maybe 30 the first, then 15 pounds, then 10 pounds, then 5 pounds, and then one rep each workout and then do holds, negatives, forced reps . then go back and continue going up in weight. As far as the 1560 goes, i did go up 30-50 pounds every leg press workout for a year.

Laying the Smackdown. Rocky_Maivia's Avatar
    Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    As far as the 1560 goes, i did go up 30-50 pounds every leg press workout for a year.
    Really, how often did you leg press? If once per week then you should've increased your leg press by 1560lbs

If once every two weeks then you will have increased it by 780lbs. Assuming a starting Leg-Press of 400lbs, you should have been lifting 1180lbs by the end of that year.
    neg reds on sight crew

Flying Knight has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Rocky_Maivia
    Really, how often did you leg press? If once per week then you should've increased your leg press by 1560lbs

If once every two weeks then you will have increased it by 780lbs. Assuming a starting Leg-Press of 400lbs, you should have been lifting 1180lbs by the end of that year.
    A guy at 16 starts HIT, increasing by 30 lb per 2 weeks in leg press. Every year he gains 780. When he reaches 36, he should have gained 780x20 = 15600 lb in leg press. He can leg press a male African elephant. WTF!

Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink

A male maybe not, but a female, pretty easy.. not true, Squeezer??

ahah

Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    More seriously, I've been training my legs with HIT, pretty much like Squeezer, and I've been gaining 5 lbs every w/o for the last 5 months.

2 days ago, it was harder than expected.. I know why.. I tried to take 7 days instead of 8-9. I'm not going to make that mistake again anytime soon let me tell you.. I'll take 10 days this time.

Anyways.. Guinnessdog, great job! Keep up the good work..

ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Okay expert, educate us all on what is 10x better??
    Aug 1 - Nov 1 Comp:
    8-1: xxx.x | 8-8: xxx.x | 8-15: xxx.x | 8-22: xxx.x | 8-29: xxx.x | Month Total:
    9-5: xxx.x | 9-12: xxx.x | 9-19: xxx.x | 9-26: xxx.x | Month Total:
    10-3: xxx.x | 10-10: xxx.x | 10-17: xxx.x | 10-24: xxx.x | 10-31 xxx.x | Month Total:
    Final Weigh-in | 11-1: (Goal: 210 lbs)

ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironlung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    After you continue with the workout you dont go up 30 pounds every workout, but maybe 30 the first, then 15 pounds, then 10 pounds, then 5 pounds, and then one rep each workout and then do holds, negatives, forced reps . then go back and continue going up in weight. As far as the 1560 goes, i did go up 30-50 pounds every leg press workout for a year.
    This is almost the exact opposite of what it takes to continue gaining on a given cycle.

Start light, add small increments every workout, no more than 5 lbs., as the sets become intense, use even smaller increments and lower volume.
    Forced, negative, holds, will kill a cycles progess. Then you say to go back and continue going up in weight?? Get a clue!
    Aug 1 - Nov 1 Comp:
    8-1: xxx.x | 8-8: xxx.x | 8-15: xxx.x | 8-22: xxx.x | 8-29: xxx.x | Month Total:
    10-3: xxx.x | 10-10: xxx.x | 10-17: xxx.x | 10-24: xxx.x | 10-31 xxx.x | Month Total:

Fozzy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think what Sqweeze means is as you're starting out it's easier to to add to your weight routine as you're muscles will react faster in the beginning, but as you go, eventually you'll level out on the amount of weight you add per workout/month.... At least I believe that is what he means.

I don't believe he means that as long as you go you'll be able to add 10lbs per workout to your lifts. If that'd be true, i've been serious benching now for 9 months, i'd be benching just over a ton!
    Over training? What's that mean?

Fozzy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Guinnessdog
    Fair enough. But let's be honest. What percentage of the gen. pop. is trying to be a top tier athlete or champion bodybuilder. And of those who do have that for a goal, how many are even going to come close. The notion that you can "turn yourself into a top tier athlete" is a bit misguided. Much of that is truly genetic. With a great deal of hard work thrown in, of course. I'll settle for 210 lbs and low body fat. I have neither the time or the inclination to put in the effort it would take for much more. I don't view that as a negative. It's realistic for me. And at 28, I'm not going to be a top tier athlete. So in essence I agree with you. If you want to be David Boston or Arnold, it's not that simple. For someone looking to gain mass and just starting out, it is. And that demographic makes up a huge portion of people hitting the weights....
    I'll agree with this statement 100%. I used to play football in high school, so during those years I worked out regurlarly... Dropped it after college and returned just last year.. I was 27 last year when I started, i'm 28 now and plan to keep going, but i'm by no means expecting Arnold material out of my hard work and efforts. I'm just doing it for me... I'd like to look in the mirror some day and say damn, I did that... and feel great about it. I do believe Guiness is right in that most the demographic that hit the weights on a daily basis are just to grow a bit and feel better about themselves.
    Over training? What's that mean?

TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TarvMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    go back to the sex & misc. section sqweezer/hitwarrior.... even if HIT was a decent training prgram (its not), no one would listen to you anyway, learn to type your thoughts out with a little more tact...

Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by TarvMan
    go back to the sex & misc. section sqweezer/hitwarrior.... even if HIT was a decent training prgram (its not), no one would listen to you anyway, learn to type your thoughts out with a little more tact...
    HIT acolytes like sqweeze/hitwarrior really give HIT a bad rap. As for HIT not being a decent training program, you're wrong. If applied correctly, it is quite effective. It is the training philosophy that is mainly responsible for increasing my raw bench max from 115 to 450.

I agree, HIT is a very effective protocol, many have had a lot of success with HIT...... there are idiots that follow every protocol though.
    For me at least, I always ended up injured doing HIT routines despite my best efforts at warm up and proper technique.
    Aug 1 - Nov 1 Comp:

Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by ironlung
    I agree, HIT is a very effective protocol, many have had a lot of success with HIT...... there are idiots that follow every protocol though.
    For me at least, I always ended up injured doing HIT routines despite my best efforts at warm up and proper technique.
    Very true, ironlung. An idiot with great genetics can convince many that his training system works. Or even just an idiot with a big mouth for that matter

"115 to 450" Jesus man, congrats!

You guys are hard with Squeezer.. He's just speaking from the experience he's had.. It's true that you can make impressive gains with HIT. I'm living proof of that, even though I'm a hardgainer. If someone had told me 5 months ago I would squat the weight I used 2 days ago, I would never have believed him. This is due to the Mentzer principles and nothing else.

We can all learn from the experience of others. The most important thing IMO is to always remain open-minded.

IMHO.

something you dont understand kane fan, when your a beginner or doing a new workout its easier to gain muscle and strength at the start of it. Lifting does not get easier as you go but harder. You should go up 10 pounds in one workout , not one month. No i dont mean ten pounds every workout . But anyone should be able to go up 10 pounds and if you do hit its possible to increase by 30 or more pounds in one workout.

actually I do understand newbie gains you buffoon
    the problem here is that YOU don't understand 'Mentzer said' does not qualify as proof or evidence
    another thing you do not understand is when you make idiotic claims with no backing I will call you on it so if you just stop you won't have to deal with me calling you out kid

Originally posted by Nick666
    You guys are hard with Squeezer.. He's just speaking from the experience he's had.. It's true that you can make impressive gains with HIT. I'm living proof of that, even though I'm a hardgainer. If someone had told me 5 months ago I would squat the weight I used 2 days ago, I would never have believed him. This is due to the Mentzer principles and nothing else.

We can all learn from the experience of others. The most important thing IMO is to always remain open-minded.

IMHO.
    we arn't that hard on Sqweezer at all..
    he's been banned 2 or 3 times now
    at least one time it was for starting posts where he babbles about how if you use more then one set a year your braindead or something
    if anything we should be harder on him

I'm sorry that you are bothered by me calling someone on bull**** but I will continue to do so

Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by Heisman
    Maybe that is true, but if you see results with any workout then you shouldn't change it.
    one workout can work .. others will be better

i ve been working out for 5 years and im still changing my routine

i believe we all have been there.. doing the 5 by 5 routines..