golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000)

Question Meat - Raw Weight vs Cooked Weight

Does anyone know the "conversion" to figure out how many "raw" oz of meat/chicken you are getting once it's been cooked?
    ~*~ If you stumble just make it part of the dance ~*~

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2247371&page=45

jsfitnesssolutionsllc.com nacersusaf's Avatar
    nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by golfGirl View Post
    Does anyone know the "conversion" to figure out how many "raw" oz of meat/chicken you are getting once it's been cooked?
    I don't think that there is really a standard conversion. There are a lot of factors like cooking methods, etc. to account for.

I suggest weighing out the food raw and counting it that way, but if you'd prefer to do it cooked... do that instead. It should be one or the other though.

Try this website: It's a fantastic tool and will list the calories and macros for foods cooked an uncooked.

www.nutritiondata.com

To answer your question though, 100g of raw chicken (boneless and skinless) is about 110 calories, and 100g of roasted boneless skinless chicken is 165 calories.

Check out that site though! My nutritionist showed it to me, and it's so helpful... I just love it!
    Last edited by nacersusaf; 04-01-2007 at 02:39 PM.
    Owner, JS Fitness Solutions
    www.jsfitnesssolutionsllc.com

Magnum Nutraceuticals Athlete
    hardmagnum.com

It is all about The Wah! Sar-Wah's Avatar
    Sar-Wah is just really nice. (+1000) Sar-Wah is just really nice. (+1000) Sar-Wah is just really nice. (+1000) Sar-Wah is just really nice. (+1000) Sar-Wah is just really nice. (+1000) Sar-Wah is just really nice. (+1000) Sar-Wah is just really nice. (+1000) Sar-Wah is just really nice. (+1000) Sar-Wah is just really nice. (+1000) Sar-Wah is just really nice. (+1000) Sar-Wah is just really nice. (+1000)
    I usually just put the piece of meat back on the scales and weigh it....

~~ Think positive, set goals, achieve them and smile and laugh everyday ~~

Come & follow the journey!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1387601&page=53

~~ Feel the fear -----> Do it anyway ~~

golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000)

Smile

Thanks girls! I usually grill my meat so I know it weighs less after it's been cooked. You are right though. I should just cut it all into equal sizes before I cook it... then I won't have to worry about it.

Thanks for the nutrition site!
    ~*~ If you stumble just make it part of the dance ~*~

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2247371&page=45

nickk is a name known to all. (+5000) nickk is a name known to all. (+5000) nickk is a name known to all. (+5000) nickk is a name known to all. (+5000) nickk is a name known to all. (+5000) nickk is a name known to all. (+5000) nickk is a name known to all. (+5000) nickk is a name known to all. (+5000) nickk is a name known to all. (+5000) nickk is a name known to all. (+5000) nickk is a name known to all. (+5000)
    My extensive studies reveal that the ratio of the weight of raw chicken to that of cooked chicken is approximately 1.38.
    -=[$]MISC. FINANCE CREW[$]=-

Reps for life:
    Temperature

Rep list:
    muska001
    MikeyC4
    Swolebraahh
    _gnasher_
    macavely
    bocheltree

Registered User xokandykissesxox's Avatar
    xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xokandykissesxox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Some companies provide the nutrition info of the meat cooked. I try to buy those
    It is in the darkest of times, when your Light has the potential to shine its brightest

fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I always just cook my meat an weigh it.

Nutritiondata.com has good conversions.
    ^_^

redram has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) redram has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) redram has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) redram has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) redram has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) redram has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) redram has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) redram has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) redram has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) redram has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) redram has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by fitlover View Post
    I always just cook my meat an weigh it.

Nutritiondata.com has good conversions.
    I'm new to weighing my food and 8 oz of chicken looks like a lot, anyone out there able to tell me what 8oz of chx looks like?

gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by nacersusaf View Post
    100g of raw chicken (boneless and skinless) is about 110 calories, and 100g of roasted boneless skinless chicken is 165 calories.
    Why would it have more calories when cooked?

thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by gwnorth View Post
    I think it just weighs less due to the moisture being drawn out in the cooking process. So 100 g of raw might weigh 80 or 90g cooked (totally guessing on that, but you get the idea). Anyway, it might take 120g of raw chicken to produce 100g of roasted chicken ....

Just guessing...

eta: Oh, but now I see the discrepancy in calories is pretty extreme ... maybe the cooked includes some additional oil or butter??

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Raw meat has a lot of water in it. Take 6oz of raw meat, cook it, and it weighs about 4oz. Therefore, 4oz of cooked meat has the same calories as 6oz of raw meat.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by oregonchick76 View Post
    Raw meat has a lot of water in it. Take 6oz of raw meat, cook it, and it weighs about 4oz. Therefore, 4oz of cooked meat has the same calories as 6oz of raw meat.
    But that assumes that the only thing lost in the cooking process is water. A fair amount of fat is lost as well especially when broilling or grilling.

thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    But that assumes that the only thing lost in the cooking process is water. A fair amount of fat is lost as well especially when broilling or grilling.
    see my eta, up a few posts ... that would be the only reasonable explanation i can think of.

taliawells has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Approximately 170g (6oz) of raw chicken equates to 120g (4.2oz) cooked.

fitann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good info...it confuses me on wether I should weigh chicken before or after cooking.

300 Spartan Scribe LetFearBeFriend's Avatar
    LetFearBeFriend is just really nice. (+1000) LetFearBeFriend is just really nice. (+1000) LetFearBeFriend is just really nice. (+1000) LetFearBeFriend is just really nice. (+1000) LetFearBeFriend is just really nice. (+1000) LetFearBeFriend is just really nice. (+1000) LetFearBeFriend is just really nice. (+1000) LetFearBeFriend is just really nice. (+1000) LetFearBeFriend is just really nice. (+1000) LetFearBeFriend is just really nice. (+1000) LetFearBeFriend is just really nice. (+1000)
    i had the same question, did a search on google, and found this thread.

so i just weight it raw then
    GAME 6 + 7 = BOTH IN MIAMI.

Heat win Game 6 (they haven't lost a back to back in 6 months)

SO FAR: each team has won 3, lost 3...

SO NOW IT COMES DOWN TO GAME 7 (IN MIAMI). LOL if you think SAS would win a GAME 7 in MIAMI.

MIAMI = 2013 World NBA Champions!

SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10) SilverSun is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    And lot happens on the molecular level when you cook food. Easiest way to see this happen is when you bake something or cook eggs. The higher calorie content in cooked food has partly to do with that...when some foods are cooked it is easier for your body to extract all the nutrients and such, thus the higher calories.

Disclaimer: Or at least that's how it's been explained to me
    There's holes up in the sky.
    The devil punched down to the monkeys.

Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cvrchak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by fitann View Post
    Good info...it confuses me on wether I should weigh chicken before or after cooking.
    it doesn't really matter
    what matters is that if you weigh your meat raw, then take calorie value for raw meat, and if you weigh it after cooking then take your values for cooked meat. And thats it. Protein content does not change during cooking. The water draws off and thats it.

It is the same with rice, pasta etc

Registered User cheerleader0720's Avatar
    cheerleader0720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheerleader0720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheerleader0720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheerleader0720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheerleader0720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheerleader0720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheerleader0720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheerleader0720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheerleader0720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheerleader0720 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheerleader0720 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I typically weigh my meat/pasta raw, but, sometimes, when cooking certain dishes for a group (or for several days' worth of food), that's nearly impossible.

Everyone cooks meat/pasta differently, so, IMO, your best bet is to create your own conversion chart. Next time you make chicken, weigh it raw, then weigh it cooked. Do the same for ground beef, steak, etc., etc. I have one that I created and I keep it right on the fridge; it helps enormously!

nicholina is just really nice. (+1000) nicholina is just really nice. (+1000) nicholina is just really nice. (+1000) nicholina is just really nice. (+1000) nicholina is just really nice. (+1000) nicholina is just really nice. (+1000) nicholina is just really nice. (+1000) nicholina is just really nice. (+1000) nicholina is just really nice. (+1000) nicholina is just really nice. (+1000) nicholina is just really nice. (+1000)
    lots of things are more calorie dense when you cook them via dry heat....only because water evaporates during cooking. Try weighing bread before and after toasting it. Its a lot lighter once its toasted, but still has the same total calories, just more calories per gram. Same thing happens when you bake a potato, roast vegetables, dry fruit, etc. I don't know why this issue only comes up for meat. Its best just to weight it raw because you really don't know how much water evaporates during cooking.
    The opposite happens for things that absorb water during cooking, like oats, pasta, rice. The dry weight is always way more calorie dense than when cooked since a lot of water is absorbed during preparation. (i.e. 100g of oats is going to weigh a lot more than 100g after its prepared with water) Thats why the nutrition label always gives the values for the dry weight of the product, and everyone normally measures their oats BEFORE they're cooked. Why is this any different for meat?

godzilla916 will become famous soon enough. (+50) godzilla916 will become famous soon enough. (+50) godzilla916 will become famous soon enough. (+50) godzilla916 will become famous soon enough. (+50) godzilla916 will become famous soon enough. (+50) godzilla916 will become famous soon enough. (+50) godzilla916 will become famous soon enough. (+50) godzilla916 will become famous soon enough. (+50) godzilla916 will become famous soon enough. (+50) godzilla916 will become famous soon enough. (+50) godzilla916 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by golfGirl View Post
    4oz cooked chicken 32-35 grams protein
    4oz raw 22-24 grams

Ashyboyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Originally Posted by nickk View Post
    My extensive studies reveal that the ratio of the weight of raw chicken to that of cooked chicken is approximately 1.38.
    is that real...

Registered User BigBeautiful008's Avatar
    BigBeautiful008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigBeautiful008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigBeautiful008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigBeautiful008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigBeautiful008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigBeautiful008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigBeautiful008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigBeautiful008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigBeautiful008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigBeautiful008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigBeautiful008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was always told that when weighing raw weigh in grams. Cooked weigh in ounces. 100 grams of RAW meat = 4 oz. of COOKED meat. But, calories vary based on what kind of meat.

4 oz Shrimp = 120 Cal
    4 oz Beef 90/10 = 153 Cal

whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by nicholina View Post
    lots of things are more calorie dense when you cook them via dry heat....only because water evaporates during cooking. Try weighing bread before and after toasting it. Its a lot lighter once its toasted, but still has the same total calories, just more calories per gram. Same thing happens when you bake a potato, roast vegetables, dry fruit, etc. I don't know why this issue only comes up for meat. Its best just to weight it raw because you really don't know how much water evaporates during cooking.
    The opposite happens for things that absorb water during cooking, like oats, pasta, rice. The dry weight is always way more calorie dense than when cooked since a lot of water is absorbed during preparation. (i.e. 100g of oats is going to weigh a lot more than 100g after its prepared with water) Thats why the nutrition label always gives the values for the dry weight of the product, and everyone normally measures their oats BEFORE they're cooked. Why is this any different for meat?
    good to know...thanks!

for me, i weigh it, cooked. never really thought much about the difference between raw and cooked, to be honest.

interesting thread.

eyleenlouis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It took me a while to find out when to measure my food. But finally I measure my protein cooked and my carbs dry. Otherwise I would just cheat on the nutritional value of the food source since meat looses and carbs soak up water.

almille has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Raw vs Cooked

Originally Posted by nickk View Post
    Thank you for this helpful approximate conversion. Do you have a rough idea of the weight difference for raw fish vs cooked?