Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

My workout... any good?

Can anyone give me thoughts and suggestions on this workout?

Height: 5'10
    Weight: 170
    Bench Max: 280
    Squat: I don't max on squats

Here is the workout:

Monday: Chest/Triceps

Bench Press 10, 10, 5, 3, 1, 10
    Incline Dumbell Press 3x10
    Flys 3x10
    Decline dumbell 3x10
    4 things for triceps each 3 sets of 10 (I switch regularly)

Tuesday: Back/Biceps
    Lat pulldown 3x10
    Cable Rows 3x10
    Shrugs 3x12-15
    Hyperextensions
    4 things for biceps 3x10

Wednesday: Legs
    Squats
    Leg Curls
    Leg extensions
    Leg Press Machine
    Calves

Thursday: Shoulders/Chest

Incline barbell Bench Press (same as monday)
    Decline bench press
    Military Press 3x10
    Side raises 3x10
    Front raises 3x10
    Bent over side raises 3x10

Is this a decent program? Am I overworking anything, or not doing enough of something? Suggestions appreciated!

DoctorX2k2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoctorX2k2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoctorX2k2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoctorX2k2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoctorX2k2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoctorX2k2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoctorX2k2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoctorX2k2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoctorX2k2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoctorX2k2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoctorX2k2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Re: My workout... any good?

Originally posted by Brego

Here is the workout:

Flys 3x10
    Decline dumbell 3x10

Lat pulldown 3x10
    Cable Rows 3x10
    Shrugs 3x12-15
    Hyperextensions
    4 things for biceps 3x10

Squats
    Leg Curls
    Leg extensions
    Leg Press Machine
    Calves

Decline bench press
    Military Press 3x10
    Side raises 3x10
    Front raises 3x10

Is this a decent program? Am I overworking anything, or not doing enough of something? Suggestions appreciated!
    Way too much volume in my opinion... especially on upper body. I would never work the same muscles twice in a week... even on roids. I don't like the parts/day set up but if you really want to go this way, I'd remove a few exercises and the whole Thursday

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz

Re: Re: My workout... any good?

Originally posted by DoctorX2k2
    Way too much volume in my opinion... especially on upper body. I would never work the same muscles twice in a week... even on roids. I don't like the parts/day set up but if you really want to go this way, I'd remove a few exercises and the whole Thursday
    yep i agree poor chest read both of these threads...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hreadid=180060

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hreadid=143006

Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brego has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I don't see what is wrong with my workout. If I dropped Chest on Thursday, then all should be fine. You told me to read through pages and pages of routines. I am asking what is wrong with my workout. Too much chest? Fine. I will drop it from Thursday's workout. I don't see what else is wrong with it besides that.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    I don't see what is wrong with my workout. If I dropped Chest on Thursday, then all should be fine. You told me to read through pages and pages of routines. I am asking what is wrong with my workout. Too much chest? Fine. I will drop it from Thursday's workout. I don't see what else is wrong with it besides that.
    there are some better excercises and the volume is too high... look att he others to see what i mean...

All of this information is overwhelming. too much to worry about dieting, lifting, etc.

Volume too high meaning I am doing too many exercises? Instead of 4 for each body part I should do 2.

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)

Re: My workout... any good?

I am assuming you want to grow?

Here is the workout:

Flys 3x10
    Decline dumbell 3x10

Way too much volume. Cut back to three chest exercises( its OK to alternate. Do inclines one week, declines the next). 12 sets for tris when they have already been worked with the chest is again way too much (OVERTRAINING). Cut to 2 exercises.

Lat pulldown 3x10
    Cable Rows 3x10
    Shrugs 3x12-15
    Hyperextensions
    4 things for biceps 3x10

Again, too much bi work after they have been preexhausted with the back work. I don't like the back routine. Its wimpy. Substitute deadlifts or bent over barbell rows for one of the machine exercises. Back work builds size throughout the body, not bicep stuff.

Squats
    Leg Curls
    Leg extensions
    Leg Press Machine
    Calves

Legs the day after back is major no no. If the back is fatigued, it will detract from your squats. Either change the split or put in a rest day and do legs on Thursday. Do leg press after the squats.

Decline bench press
    Military Press 3x10
    Side raises 3x10
    Front raises 3x10

I don't like working the chest twice a week unless you are looking to compete, have a weak chest in comparison to your other parts and thus need to prioritize it. Otherwise, its overtraining. Two, working the chest before shoulders exhausts the front delts and now you are detracting from the quality of your shoulder workout. Ditch the chest here and do shoulders by themselves. I would also advise doing traps here instead of on back day.

I think 4 days straight is too much if you looking to add size. Throw a rest day in between and then take the weekends off.
    Last edited by egoatdoor; 12-29-2003 at 10:26 PM.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. G4P does.

DoctorX2k2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoctorX2k2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoctorX2k2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoctorX2k2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoctorX2k2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoctorX2k2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoctorX2k2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoctorX2k2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoctorX2k2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoctorX2k2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoctorX2k2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Volume = Total number of reps for one exercise. 3 sets of 8 = 24 of volume. You're doing too many sets for one exercise. More is not better for the majority.

I have never heard that 3 sets is too many for an exercise from any football coach, powerlifter, or my uncle who was a bodybuilder in the 70's.

p.s. Will cutting back to 2 exercises for Triceps and Biceps on those days still allow my biceps to grow stronger and larger?

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)

p.s. Will cutting back to 2 exercises for Triceps and Biceps on those days still allow my biceps to grow stronger and larger?
    Stronger and larger may be mutually exclusive. Strong biceps are not necessarily the biggest.

If you want bigger arms, focus on quality of the exercises, not the quantity. Two exercises is enough, especially if they are already being worked during the chest and back work. Work hard on the sets that you are doing and they will grow.

One of the axioms of drug free bodybuilding is " Less ( as in volume) is Best".
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

How about this revised workout? Any better?

Monday: Chest/Tri's

Bench Press - 10, 10, 5, 3, 1, 10 (these pyramids work well for me)
    Incline Press 3x10
    Decline Press 3x10
    Flys 3x10
    Headbangers 3x10
    Tricep Pushdowns 3x10

Tuesday: Back/Bis
    Deadlift 10, 8, 6, 4
    Lat Pulldown 3x10
    T-Bar Row 3x10
    Cable Row 3x10
    Preacher Curls 3x10
    Concentration Curls 3x10

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: Shoulders/Legs
    Squat - 10, 8, 6, 4
    Leg Press 3x10
    Leg Extension 3x10
    Leg Curl 3x10
    Calves? (Some suggestions on how many sets/reps would help!)

Abs done every day
    Cardio done every day except leg day.

Any better? I tried to take some suggestions and modify it.

Where are the shoulder exercises? Are you going from 4 days to 3?

Oops, forgot shoulders. Yes I will only be working 3 days now. Here are the shoulder exercises:

Arnold Presses (Or military press, I will alternate) 3x10
    Front Raises 3x10
    Side raises 3x10
    Shrugs 3x12-15

I still think there are still too many sets overall. Monday: 15 sets for chest. Thursday has 25 and that does not include calves.

For chest, you say that pyramid works well on bench, but the routine looks like a powerlifter's sequence, not a bodybuilder's. Bodybuilders do not do one rep maxxes. This builds strength but does little if anything for building a physique ( I am sorry I did not mention this in my original post. That's what I get for being on the computer at 1:00 in the morning). If you want to keep these maxxes fine, but eliminate the last set of 10 reps and eliminate the declines. Too many pressing movements. An alternative is to alternate between declines and either flyes or inclines. Do one one week and the other the next.

Thursday looks exhausting. I would prefer either eliminating or cutting back on the leg extensions AND eliminating the front raises ( you get enough work on the front delts with all the chest pressing you do plus the Arnolds/Military Presses) OR changing the split so that either bis or tris on done on Thursday which will reduce the number of sets on Thursday.

Abs and cardio: You are 5'10" 170. Thats not fat. There is no need to be doing abs EVERY day and to do so much cardio. Whether you can see your abs is a function of bodyfat %, not the amount of ab work you do. Use the energy on muscle building exercises. More muscle means greater fat burning capacity. Too much cardio can also BURN muscle, which is not what I think you want to do.

Really appreciate the info! For chest I am really trying to build strength, not necessarily do it right for bodybuilding. My main problem is a soft stomach. I am trying to diet right and have started taking Whey Protein. My main goal right now is to lose the fat around the stomach. I don't have a gut or anything, but I want to tone the stomach so you can at least see the ab muscles when I am just standing relaxed. Any tips on speeding this process?

p.s. How many calves should I do? Sets and reps that is.

Really appreciate the info! For chest I am really trying to build strength, not necessarily do it right for bodybuilding. My main problem is a soft stomach.
    OK. But monitor your volume and if its too tiring, cut it back. You want strength, which is a powerlifting mentality. But powerlfters do not worry about working all parts of the chest(upper, mid, lower and inner pecs) which is what your routine does with benches, incline, declines and flyes. That's a bodybuilders routine.

I am trying to diet right and have started taking Whey Protein. My main goal right now is to lose the fat around the stomach. I don't have a gut or anything, but I want to tone the stomach so you can at least see the ab muscles when I am just standing relaxed. Any tips on speeding this process?
    Its difficult, if not impossible, to "spot reduce". Key is to reduce the bodyfat % throughout the entire body. Individuals vary, but generally you won't see abs unless your bodyfat % drops to 10% or less. One of the things you need to consider is the size and number of your meals. Eating 3 times a day with large feedings as most Americans do will bloat the stomach. Drinking alcohol and sodas also do not help. We bodybuilders eat 5-7 or 8 times a day in smaller portions so our stomachs and waists do not bloat out. There is a lot to the nutrition part of this game and its impossible for me to go into all of it. Check the article section here and also read some bodybuilding books for information if you have not already done so.

Thermogenic products such as Xenadrine and Hydroxycut are helpful for speeding the fat burning process. Check the supplement forum or do a search there for information. Be careful in understanding that these are not "miracle" products. Your training and nutrition must also be proper for these to truly work.

p.s. How many calves should I do? Sets and reps that is.
    I would recommend two exercises of three sets each for calves: Standing calf raises and seated. Reps are up to you. Calves generally react better to higher reps(10-15 or even 20) because they are such a dense muscle and are also worked a lot in your every day life when you walk.

eXcebo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    *prepares to be flamed to death for this* but imo that may or MAY NOT be too much volume.... different people, requirement different amounts of volume/rest etc...
    my best results have been coming from my current split that's
    sunday/wensday - chest/tris/shoulder
    monday/thursday - back/bis
    tuesday/friday - legs

not to go into great detail but for chest/tris/shoulders
    chest - 12 sets, tris 3 sets (after chest/shoulders they're worked enough) shoulders 12
    back/bis -
    back 12 sets, bis 4
    legs -
    for quads I do 10 , 4 calves, 5-6 hams

now I'm gonna get flamed by HIT nazi's saying I'm over training... but I tried something like a HIT workout and it DID NOTHING for me... my body simply didn't respond to it, but this workout is giving me great gains

so try different things, listen to your body! what works for other people might not work for you
    (I'm not advising my routine at ALL I know it would be overtraining for most people, it's just what works for me and what my body is able to handle and recover from)
    You want to beat me, don't miss a meal, because I won't. Don't quit on a set because I'll always be one set ahead of you. Don't walk out of my gym without leaving your guts spilled on the floor because you can bet your ass, I won't.

heh, I usually do some drinking on weekends I will search for diets that will reduce bodyfat.

I drink light beer on the weekends usually. Will this make it absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for me to lose bodyfat %?

I drink light beer on the weekends usually. Will this make it absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for me to lose bodyfat %?
    Its not impossible, but it doesn't help. Light beer is still beer/alcohol. A "light" cigarette is still a cigarette. One small bottle a week probably won't make too much difference, but if you are drinking more, its definitely not helping.

If this is social drinking, then you may have to make a decision as to what is more important. True friends accept you for who you are, not by how much you drink to "fit in". My friends a long time ago accepted that I will drink a soda or water, not matter what everyone else is doing.

I like drinking and enjoy the socialization. I will not give up one for the other, at least not now. I am only 20 years old and still like to have a good time. I WILL drop that bodyfat %.