user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

The Book Review Thread

I thought this would be a good idea to have this as a sticky. Although there is great information on the internet, it does not surpass the quality of information presented in books. I feel this is especially true in the aspects of athletic training and weightlifting. I often see prominent writers on sites such as T-mag.com and others hold back on ideas and methods of training simply because writing free articles in itself is not very lucrative.

So instead of alienating their fan base, these strength coaches write books explaining their ideas and theories in their entirety. To some, this may seem like they are selling out, trying to make a buck. But, this is not the case, as these coaches are doing everyone a big favor. For those who can not train with these strength coaches, they can get the next best thing: A book detailing methods and theories they use with their clients every day.

It’s like having the coach right there. Only you don’t have to remember the stuff the coach used with you in your sessions, instead you can easily look it up any particular detail about the method right in the book. This is why books are worth purchasing.

So, I propose we gather a compilation of sport training and weightlifting books that we have purchased. That way, we can assist each other in recommending a certain book or author for a certain topic or subject. I thought that we should have a basic format for reviews (although feel free to ignore it, as long as you review the book in some way), It could be something like this:

Title of Book, Author
    Opening statements
    Presentation (i.e. difficulty of terms, is it laid out clearly, grammatical errors, easy read)
    Information in Book (theories, methods, interesting topics, etc.)
    Recommendation (rating on a number scale, or other method of recommendation)
    Conclusion

So if you have anything to contribute, either PM me, or create a thread with the book review in it.

Book of Muscle by Lou Schuler and Ian King and High Powered Plyometrics by James C. Radcliffe

The Black Book of Training Secrets by Christian Thibaudeau

Theory and Application of Modern Strength and Power Methods, by Christian Thibaudeau
    Last edited by Silent_Impact; 12-26-2003 at 09:55 PM.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    ah how about getitng this stickied have u asked...

dildo69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I always meant to add to this, ill post the books iv read and if anyone wants a review of a certain book ill do it.

High Performance Sports Conditioning - Collection of writers
    Renegade training for football - John Davies
    Science of Jumping - (some dodgy mail order thing)
    Supertraining (latest edition) - Mel Siff
    Black Book Of training Secrets - Christian Thibaudeau
    Modern Strength and Power Methods - Christian Thibaudeau
    The Charlie Francis Training System - Charlie Francis
    Jumping into Plyometrics - Donald Chu
    High Powered Plyometrics - James Radcliffe
    Explosive Power and Strength - Donald Chu
    Power Eating (2nd edition) - Susan Kleiner
    Science and paractice of Strength training - Vladimir M. Zatsiorsky
    Nutrition for serious athletes - Dan Benardot
    Dinasour Training - Brooks Kubik
    Stretching Scientifically - Thomas Kurz
    Sport Stretch - Michael J. Alter
    The weightlifters encyclopedia - Arthur Dreschler
    Jump Attack - Tim Grover
    Explosive lifting for sports - Harvey Newton
    The best sports traing book ever - Dietrich Buchenholz

I think thats all, i may add to is as im trying to do it from memory. Someof them have and probably never will be read in there entirety e.g Supertraining and weightlifters encyclopedia, just because of the volume of information and i tend to go through what is specific to me.
    Last edited by dildo69; 01-31-2004 at 10:34 AM.
    Bo selecta!

JCASH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JCASH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JCASH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JCASH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JCASH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JCASH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JCASH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JCASH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JCASH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JCASH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JCASH is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    So far Complete Linebacking by Lou Tepper

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    why does everyone not just write the reviews...

and anyone got any of poulquins books...

Because then id have to write 20 reviews.....

And im thinking of buying one of polquins books, dont rember the title but its the one about strength training.
    Bo selecta!

Originally posted by dildo69
    Because then id have to write 20 reviews.....

And im thinking of buying one of polquins books, dont rember the title but its the one about strength training.
    go on it would be good...

Not for my poor brain and fingers.....:-(
    Bo selecta!

user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user321653_345 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If it would be possible, I would love to hear your opinion/and or brief overview on these:

Supertraining by Siff
    Power Eating by Susan Kleiner
    Science and paractice of Strength training - Vladimir M. Zatsiorsky
    The weightlifters encyclopedia - Arthur Dreschler
    The Charlie Francis Training System - Charlie Francis

No probs give me a week tops, ill def get them done for u.
    Bo selecta!

Cod is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cod is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cod is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cod is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cod is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cod is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cod is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cod is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cod is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cod is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cod is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'd really like to read a review of the Charlie Francis book.

Tman55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tman55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tman55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tman55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tman55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tman55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tman55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tman55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tman55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tman55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tman55 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ll do a review of the power eating book, that book is great

Is the information up to date? It doesn't follow the recommendations of fad diets, or that low-fat crap does it?

Power Eating review

This is probably the best nutrition book iv ever read, i still find myself referring back to it. Its well written and sensible guidelines, no fad diets or anything.

It has a diets at the back for cutting, bulking, maintinance e.t.c
    She also accepts that protein recomendations should be higher for strength athletes.

I would def recommend u buy this (just make sure u get the second edition).

Supertraining

This is probably the most comprehnsive book ever written on strength training, but it would really depend on your needs if u should buy it or not.

If u have an unlimited budget, the definatley buy it.
    If u are serious about being a performance coach e.t.c buy it.

But if ur like me and dont have a lot of money to spend and want practical advice from books u enjoy reading then id spend ur money elsewhere. It is just like a large university text book, i do have to force myself to read it and find myself drifting off half-way through chapters. I also dont feel theres a great deal of practical knoledge i can lift out the book like i can with other strengh training books.

Haveing said that its great for refrence, and years down the line ill probably be eternally gratefull i bought it. Just damn hard work.

Weight Lifters Encyclopedia

Okay maybe this is the most comprehnsive book ever written on strength training!! (its close between the two)

I find this has about the same volume of info as siffs book although focused more on oly lifting with chapters on technique e.t.c But is much more enjoyable to read and it can be applied to ANY strength training/power sport.

It also has a biblography at the back with notes on books he likes, which is usefull.

I got a lot more out of this than supertraining.

Science and practice of strength training

This book is less overwhelming than supertraing and a little easier to understand for me, although there is still a great deal of science.

It also has some good stuff on the CNS e.t.c

I would definatley recomend this.

Charlie Francis book review wont be done tillthe end of the week as i only printed it off recently and am just finishing one CT's books then ill move on to training sytems.
    Bo selecta!

Iv come to realise im **** at book reviews, i can never really explain well why i like books, id be much better at answering direct questions so if anyone wants any info on a book ask away as my review dont contain much info. But here goes anyway.....

Charlie francis/training system

This is great book, one of my favourites ever probably. Its written in a q&a format which makes it very easy to read. Theres 11 chapters covering various topics, strength training, recovery e.t.c

I found the the chapter on recovery and regeneration really fascinating, its always something that iv been intrested in and is usually am overlooked component of training programs.

Cons would be its not really a book u could set up ur strength training program from but it would help u mange ur overall training volumes. And the writings kinda funny, as in the actual text is not high quality......its kinda fuzzy makeing it slightly hard to read but u get over it pretty quickly.

All in all great book and costs next to nothing, go buy it now.
    Bo selecta!

boflex03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

my first post

I'm interested in the renegade training book but I also found this one:

A Chance to Win: A Complete Guide to Physical Training for Football

have you guys read it?
    Substance over style.

Moneyball by Michael Lewis

Moneyball garnered a ton of press last year, especially from the baseball community, as it should have. The book explains a different side of baseball, an intellectual view of baseball, instead of the usual "gut" feeling most scouts and managers use.

Introduction:
    This book is not about training, or even baseball specific training. It is about how Billy Beane shaped the A's into the perennial winner of the AL West division. Michael Lewis delves into the A's organization, influences to Billy Beane, and the original stat innovators.

This book shows how regular categories like HR and RBI's don't tell the whole story about how good a hitter is, but rather that people should pay attention to on-base percentage and walks. It goes into detail about how most players who have excellent walks and OBP statistics, are often over-looked by teams and instead go for the flashier players. It really is an incredible book.

I especially payed attention on the chapter devoted to Scott Hatteberg. Most of you will say Scott Hatteberg? Who? Well he is one of the best people in the major leagues at drawing walks and getting on base. I am now trying to copy his mantra about hitting. Very good read.

I suggest that any baseball fan will want to read this book, especially if you like baseball statistics. Even if you don't like baseball that much, it still is interesting to see how a GM runs things for a baseball team.

I give this book a 9/10 easily because it is so damn good. Buy it if you are a baseball fan!