brah_of_iron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brah_of_iron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brah_of_iron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brah_of_iron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brah_of_iron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brah_of_iron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brah_of_iron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brah_of_iron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brah_of_iron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brah_of_iron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brah_of_iron is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

What football position would I be suited for?

I'm going into a pretty 'hardcore' football high school next year (as in scouts come to almost every game) and I decided I'd try out, because I love playing football (mostly pick-up games). And yes I know pick-up games are much different than real games, but everyone I play with is in a league so it's still pretty similar.

Anyways I guess I'll give some stats, and yes I know I'm small. I'm 5'11, ~138lb (hoping to be >155lb by end of August when try-outs start). I'm pretty fast, I've never done a 40 but my best time last June for the 100m dash was 11.08 seconds, but it was timed with a stop watch so not that accurate, I just know I can outrun almost anybody I play with. I have maybe a bit above average catching abilities, not the greatest but not bad at all. I can throw the furthest out of anyone in my school (grades 7-9), but don't really want to be quarterback haha, it just doesn't seem like my kind of position.

I'm on Bill Starr's Intermediate 5x5 right now and my lifts are around:
    Deads: 270lbx5
    Squat: 240lbx5
    Bench: 100lbx5

My powerclean is around 120lbx5, but on Bill Starr's you don't do powercleans, so right now I'm not training it. Although my lifts suck balls, I'm actually pretty strong when it comes to tackling/blocking.

I know I'm giving you extremely relative information, but it's all I have. I am really excited to play football on an actual team, but I really have no idea what position I should apply for. So if I were to get to ~155lb by the end of August (keep in mind this is grade 10 only, meaning there aren't many BIG players) with my deads and squats both >300lb and my bench >150lb, what position would I be suited for?

So what position would I be suited for an what would I need to work on in order to succeed in that position? Thanks for the help. (if you need cliffs I guess I'll summarize if needed, but I have more faith in you guys than the Misc.)
    It's easier to get the single 10 at the bar, than one of the five 8s.

Healthy mind. Healthy body.

DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Defensive Backfield and possibly reciever. Let the coaches decide where your best fit for the date.

x ShAnE x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x ShAnE x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x ShAnE x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x ShAnE x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x ShAnE x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x ShAnE x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x ShAnE x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x ShAnE x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x ShAnE x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x ShAnE x has a spectacular aura about. (+250) x ShAnE x has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Safety...Receiver..Running back if ur fast and smart....MAYBE just MAYBE a spur or something, if ur a hell of a good tackler.
    Havent lifted since 2014 after benching 355 and ruining shoulder.
    Hoping to make it back into the gym after the Resolutioners clear out mid February.

Repping users that rep the Carolinas since 2006

Panthers - Gamecocks - UNC - ECU

Reps on sight:
    FFAZARI
    Shane-0-Mac
    Zaia
    Aggressive
    zackmorris
    dtbrehm

mikeye3313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikeye3313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikeye3313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikeye3313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikeye3313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikeye3313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikeye3313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikeye3313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikeye3313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikeye3313 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mikeye3313 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I agree with the post above position wise. Depends on how your hands are. Keep bustin ur butt in the weightroom, get stronger, bigger, and faster. It wouldn't hurt to ask one of the older kids (Juniors or Seniors) to give you some advice or even better ask one of the coahes. A coach will love that you are showing initiative. Be open to wherever the coaches decide to put you though position wise when it comes time. If you bust A** everything will fall into place.
    My Life is a Freaksow

Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000) Ace50 is just really nice. (+1000)
    just work at it, train hard, your coaches will probobly make the right descision based on your size, stats, etc.
    .:Ace50 Crew:.
    ++ Positive Crew ++

brah_of_iron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brah_of_iron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brah_of_iron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brah_of_iron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brah_of_iron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brah_of_iron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brah_of_iron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brah_of_iron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brah_of_iron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brah_of_iron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) brah_of_iron is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    All my friends ywho play on teams said I shouldn't show up to a try out without any idea of what position I wanted to play, but I pretty much though like you guys (that the coaches would place me where they thought best).

I actually like the idea of Safety, sounds like fun. Is there anything I should particularly focus on if I was training to be Safety?

And any other opinions?

Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000) Veeshmack is just really nice. (+1000)
    ditch the digits
    what DO YOU WANT to play?
    you like to run with the ball and take hits, catch and run, or make hits
    look into it more than just your numbers or it wont be as much fun
    **Canadian Crew**

I only provided that information so you guys knew a bit more about where I was at.
    I guess I'd like to run (only fullout sprints though, I hate distance running) and make some good tackles mostly.

908 is a name known to all. (+5000) 908 is a name known to all. (+5000) 908 is a name known to all. (+5000) 908 is a name known to all. (+5000) 908 is a name known to all. (+5000) 908 is a name known to all. (+5000) 908 is a name known to all. (+5000) 908 is a name known to all. (+5000) 908 is a name known to all. (+5000) 908 is a name known to all. (+5000) 908 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    11.08 is pretty damn good. Even if you meant 11.8 that's better than average speed. And looking at your stats and your history of football your best bet would be receiver. For your height and current size it'll be your best bet. And if you're going to a big time football school then I'm guessing you won't have to run both ways. But if you do have to pick a defensive position then you're best bet on the other side of the ball would be FS or CB. As somebody that hasn't experienced a lot of contact before then you might wanna stick to corner.

Shitin' and Miscin' teriyakisaki's Avatar
    teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000)
    you seem to have good straightline speed. WR or DB is what i would put you at right now knowing nothing else about you. depending on hitting ability and intelligence would make the difference between safety and corner, but your height is quite appealing at safety.

what other sports do you play, and what position?

one thing is dont' worry so much about your lifts. although they are important, keep in mind that you aren't nearly as developed as the average senior, not to mention the fact that most people on here base good stats on top d1 american prospects, not the average kid. so don't be suprised when you aren't putting up as big of numbers. now im not saying accept mediocrity, but dont get down on yourself because you aren't benching 315.
    Last edited by teriyakisaki; 03-28-2007 at 06:28 PM.

I dunno about wide receiver cause I'm not completely confident in my catching abilities haha. And as far as intelligence goes I'm a straight A student in all my core classes... however I don't fully understand the game of football (which is obviously what matters), I pretty much just know the basics.

Other sports I played are soccer (6 years, 3 of which I got MVP , I was center defense). And I also played hockey for a year and was again defense, but that was way back in the day, I don't think they were super specific about positions.

And yeah I'm not really worried about my lifts, I'm just also interested in powerlifting so I'm looking to increase my lifts anyways.

Thanks for the help though guys!
    Last edited by sheckles; 03-29-2007 at 04:33 AM.

futureNBAstar is just really nice. (+1000) futureNBAstar is just really nice. (+1000) futureNBAstar is just really nice. (+1000) futureNBAstar is just really nice. (+1000) futureNBAstar is just really nice. (+1000) futureNBAstar is just really nice. (+1000) futureNBAstar is just really nice. (+1000) futureNBAstar is just really nice. (+1000) futureNBAstar is just really nice. (+1000) futureNBAstar is just really nice. (+1000) futureNBAstar is just really nice. (+1000)
    you from ontario or BC? Also remember its Canada bro, big time football schools dont exist, you seen movies like friday night lights? those are big time football schools. Schools in Texas Florida Alabama etc are big time schools. high schools in Canada dont have stadiums bro nor is there many players who even go down south. Remember this is coming from someone who is canadian and spent high school years in Canada.

Actually I'm in Alberta.
    The school I'm going to is about as 'big' on football as it gets here. They have a special field with rubber under the grass and separate locker rooms for the football players as well as a separate weights area. So although they're not a top Texas high school, it's where a person would want to be if he was interested in football.

deldrar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deldrar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deldrar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deldrar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deldrar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deldrar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deldrar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deldrar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deldrar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deldrar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) deldrar has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    try to find a decent reciever to line up on beforehand. if you can stay with his cuts like white on rice corner is for you. if you dont have those quick feet go out for safety.

so yeah, id shoot for db, followed by reciever. as a lighter freshman wr going out for varsity? you might get manhandled a little.