Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)

Hip extended Thigh Adduction/Abduction?

There is the standing calf raise and seated calf raise. There is the lying leg curl and I think somewhere a seated leg curl.

What I want to know is... the only thigh adduction and thigh abduction machines I've seen are seated. This means your hips are flexed. Is there any machine that hips them while your hips are extended (straight light with body)?

Of course, I know you can do this with a cable, but that is with an extended (straight) knee with the weight anchored at the ankle or something. With the seated machines, your knees can be bent and sine the weight is pressed right above the knee, between or outside of the thighs, it just feels like you can go a lot harder.

Now, a lot of that might just be perception due to being close to the anchor (hip joint) but that's good because with such high numbers you can microload with less jumping. It also wouldn't aggravate bad knees like being anchored at the ankle does.

Of course, it's no substitute for ankle-anchored work, I think it's important for splits and building a stable knee, but if you do both that and the adductor/abductor machine I figure there should be a way to work it with the femur in both alignments for different fibre emphasis.

Obviously you can't do it with a vertical torso like with sitting, since that would mean putting the weight on your knees and be very awkward. Moreso in the realm of hip abduction, I suppose I could see adduction since bearing the weight involves a measure of that anyway. For at least that portion, it would probably require lying either on the stomach or the back (a machine could easily provide for either really...) and then having the resistance at the level of that bench.

Depending on where the bench ends and how suspended your knees are from it, that could also incorporate some light work for keeping the weight of the legs in alignment, hip extensors/back if lying on stomach, hip flexors/abs if on back (in a stretched position). Obviously the former would be a more comfortable way of doing the movement. It would be kind of similar to that glute-ham hyperextension machine they use at Westside Barbell.
    Last edited by Tyciol; 03-27-2007 at 03:37 PM.

Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50)