slyfox115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slyfox115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slyfox115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slyfox115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slyfox115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slyfox115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slyfox115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slyfox115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slyfox115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slyfox115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slyfox115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Back to the Basics (EVRY1 READ!!!)

I have been doing keto for 2 and a half weeks now. I have tried the low fat diet too. With either diet i dont gain ne strength. Now i know that i am not supposed to and that brings me to my dilemma. Have any of you guys that have had 15-20% BF just done cardio religiously to lose bodyfat?.....and had results? I know i will have better results with a cutting diet and doing cardio but on this keto diet i barely get through my workout....and i have basically copied to diet samples on c-k-d.com so i know im doing it right. I am a senior in high school and have track to think about so i have decided to eat as clean as i can but not have such a strict diet. My friend i lift with has a lower percent body fat (bout 8%) and lifts as much as i do. He is gaining strength as i am not. I just want to get back to the basics of being insane in the gym....kinda how it was when i started. I want to start gaining strenght at a steady pace, gain that intensity i used to have, and lose ne bodyfat i can without dieting. Is this possible? HAVE ANY OF YOU LOST NOTICABLE AMOUNTS OF BODYFAT WHILE JUST DOING CARDIO? Please guys this has been on my mind forever now and i know that you guys will provide some answers.

BuggerOff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuggerOff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuggerOff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Doing heaps of cardio is gonna eat away at your muscle gains anyway.

Just bite the bullet and loose the fat. Then you can go nuts and really bulk up. Trust me, if you're fairly new to weightlifting and you bulk properly on a high protein, high calorie diet, you'll get results so good people will think you've been juicing. These quick gains will only be made even better if you do them straight off a fat-loss cycle where you haven't been concentrating on weight lifting as you're body will be that of a refreshed beginner's body once more instead of a semi-conditioned lifter.

But you've got to let go of that bodyfat first. You're mate is sitting-pretty 'cause he's on 8% bodyfat, but don't worry about what he's doing. Don't compare yourself to others, you'll always come out second best, it's human nature. Forget trying to keep up with him. You can catch-up and overtake later if you really need to compete with your mates, but not now.

Just go hard, let go of the bodyweight. In the long run it's only a teeny little time and will make all the difference maybe for the rest of your life. If it's been "on your mind forever" like you say, just imagine how good it would have been in you cut down when you started to worry about this! You'd be ripped now and ready to bulk big-time. Loose the fat first mate, you won't regret it.

BTW, I really do not recommend keto diets. True, I've never done one and don't know much about them, but the whole concept has alarm bells ringing in my head. That's just me personally. I know pro-bodybuilders have had great success with this for decades.

How old are you, how much do you weigh and what's your BF%?
    "Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish." - Euripides

as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by BuggerOff
    BTW, I really do not recommend keto diets. True, I've never done one and don't know much about them,
    good to see an informed opinion...*sic*

TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Did keto for 4 weeks and had good results on fat loss but I have to admit it just wasn't for me. I felt tired at the gym + class which is not a good combo for a college student.

If you create a calorie deficit your going to lose fat by doing a ton of cardio but you do run the risk of losing more muscle than if you kept track of your kcals.

Sounds like you want the end result without putting effort into the diet.

BuggerOff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuggerOff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuggerOff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    as010,

I was very careful in how I worded that, so just gimme a break, okay? I can only say what I feel, and my feeling is it couldn't be good for you.

slyfox115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slyfox115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slyfox115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slyfox115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slyfox115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slyfox115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slyfox115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slyfox115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slyfox115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slyfox115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slyfox115 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I also will add that i hit the iron 5 days a week. I have about 12% bf. You can see my abs. I was just trying to get super ripped but in the long run i know that i couldnt maintain that so that is why i am thinkin of this.

as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) as0l0 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    as010,

I was very careful in how I worded that, so just gimme a break, okay? I can only say what I feel, and my feeling is it couldn't be good for you.
    you should try and learn more about it......

Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I beg to differ with ANYONE who says doing cardio eats away at your muscle, unless you aren't eating, or your training for a marathon, doing 30-45 minutes of cardio a day, is not going to cause massive losses in muscle, When I train I always try to do at least 30 minutes of cardio a day, at 75% intensity, and I'VE NEVER lost any noticable muscle mass.

That being said I suppose if your genetics have your BF at 5-10% without doing ANY cardio, yes your metabolism is probably rocket high, and yes, in that case you *might* lose muscle mass.

Personally, Cardio is a staple of my workouts, it provides me with a great pump, and yes I still gain muscle while doing cardio everyday.

Keto is debatable.. Personally I don't consider myself on a Keto diet, I don't diet period.. I watch what I eat, and eat 5-6 meals a day including protein and mrp supplementation.

Basic meal for me, is a palmed size serving of vegetables, and an equal amount of protein, fish, chicken, salmon, (occasionally beef/pork), the rest of my nutrition is through MRP's and protein whey (fat takes care of itself, if your really worried about your omega's take flax seed oil.)

Slyfox.. I recommend you weight train 3 days a week instead of 5, I used to train 5 as well, and found I grew substantially more training only 3 times a week, you have to give your muscles time to build. For example I used to train chest one day.. then say biceps/triceps the next, Problem? Well, most chest exercises are compound upper body movements, and your also working your tri's/bi's, therefore your muscles aren't being given enough time to recover, remember you don't build muscle at the gym, you build muscle AFTER the gym.

Also, if you are really worried about losing muscle mass, take 5g's of glutamine before/after your cardio, it works well.

Good Luck bro

Cheers
    Always, under the underneath...
    =======
    Once the power of the mind is harnessed, any goal is reachable.
    =======
    Exercise is 10% Physical, and 90% Mental, the rest is up to you.

Looks Like Chris Benoit musclemidget's Avatar
    musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by as0l0
    you should try and learn more about it......
    yeah, most people area anti-keto until they try it right as0lo!!! haha, the day is mine!

*cry*

mister_geeman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I find it strange that people who know nothing about keto and who have never tried it and have never studied the theory - continue to knock it??? WHY
    I was not a huge fan of it myself until I saw the results of what someone ahieved. Now, cutting carbs is hardcore (hence why some people may decide its all too hard) but in order to make an informed opinion - DO THE RESEACRH.
    Having said I am not a huge fan - (yes....you knew it was coming) I am currently following the BodyOpus diet and am having GREAT success with it. I have continued to loose 1 and 1/2 pounds [per week while increasing strength for the least 4 weeks. This diet is not for the faint hearted or the novice (and I am no expert) but results are likely if you follow some guidelines.
    In a very simple explanation (where I tried to explain why I was cutting carbs to my wife) it was simple - if you need carbs to bulk - what will cutting them out do? Now this isn't the most detailed or credible scientific explanation - but it was quick and one which my wife understood.

My advice would be to keep an open mind.

Cheers
    G

You're being a tad hypocritical aren't you? It's okay for you to say you're not a fan, but not me. I too conceded that people have had great results from it.

But results are only part of the journey. All I said was is that it's my personal hunch that it's not a very healthy method.

Ketosis is medicly defined as "A pathological increase in the production of ketone bodies".

"Pathological" means "relating to disease or a disease state".

"Ketones" are "any of a class of organic compounds having a carbonyl group linked to a carbon atom in each of two hydrocarbon radicals. In general the ketones are colorless volatile liquids having a pungent ethereal odor"

Now excuse me if I have a personal opinion on the matter. I'm not forcing my opinion down anyone's throat, I'm just stating that in my opinion, voluntarily raising of your ketone levels to a pathalogical state is not an ideal method of weight loss.

I maybe wrong.

mister_geeman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You're being a tad hypocritical aren't you? It's okay for you to say you're not a fan, but not me. I too conceded that people have had great results from it.

But results are only part of the journey. All I said was is that it's my personal hunch that it's not a very healthy method.

Ketosis is medicly defined as "A pathological increase in the production of ketone bodies".

"Pathological" means "relating to disease or a disease state".

"Ketones" are "any of a class of organic compounds having a carbonyl group linked to a carbon atom in each of two hydrocarbon radicals. In general the ketones are colorless volatile liquids having a pungent ethereal odor"

Now excuse me if I have a personal opinion on the matter. I'm not forcing my opinion down anyone's throat, I'm just stating that in my opinion, voluntarily raising of your ketone levels to a pathalogical state is not an ideal method of weight loss.

I maybe wrong.

Just expressing an opinion, just like you .

All I said was is that it's my personal hunch that it's not a very healthy method.
    i think you said a bit more than that, but anyway, I'd rather drop it.

I'd rather not. You should finish what you started or concede that you were wrong.

"BTW, I really do not recommend keto diets. True, I've never done one and don't know much about them, but the whole concept has alarm bells ringing in my head. That's just me personally. I know pro-bodybuilders have had great success with this for decades."

That was the very first thing I said. To me, that sounds pretty innocent. And I think it can be very acurately summarised by, "That's just my personal hunch".
    Last edited by BuggerOff; 11-27-2003 at 07:51 PM.

Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Bill has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I lost a few pounds doing cardio...

-Bill
    Start weight 337 pounds
    Current weight 262 pounds
    Goal Weight 185 pounds
    Down 75 pounds, 77 more to go!!!

"Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he will have to touch to be sure."

that's right, that's what you said.

you then went on to say that all you said was that "it's my personal hunch that it's not a very healthy method"

but the fact is you also said that you "really do not recommend keto diets"

Well nobody has to take up my recommendation, do they? But just out of curiosity, why bother with a keto diet in the first place? Why not use a regular diet, which works just great?

it's more suitable for some people and for others it's the only option.

What's wrong with the option of just eating less calories than you use without going into a voluntary state of ketosis?
    Last edited by BuggerOff; 11-27-2003 at 11:48 PM.

because the number of calories you burn is a variable number, decided by your body, not by your calculator.

Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Canadian_AF is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Exclamation

Guys/Gals, just so this post doesn't drag on and on....

There is a Keto thread, please check the stickies, it's the bottom one made by Chi_Town, if you are considering Keto, or would like to debate it, please discuss it under this section of the board.

Thanks.
    Always, under the underneath...
    =======
    Once the power of the mind is harnessed, any goal is reachable.
    =======
    Exercise is 10% Physical, and 90% Mental, the rest is up to you.

Strong-Ass Jaw Crew user34566548717114's Avatar
    user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    how many high preformance atheletes you see on keto diets??????

Thats all i am gonna say

TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSupaKorean will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally posted by dvv
    how many high preformance atheletes you see on keto diets??????

Thats all i am gonna say
    Ouch :/

Looks Like Chris Benoit musclemidget's Avatar
    musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musclemidget is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    im not sure if youre downing keto, but many NFL lineman do keto-type diets to make their weight limit and ive seen several bios of NBA stars where they say they try to avoid carbs.

Originally posted by Canadian_AF
    if you are considering Keto, or would like to debate it, please discuss it under this section of the board.
    *bump* ...