robkez313 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

ground oats and steel cut oats?

people in threads are mentioning oats, and some of them call oats- ground oats, and others call oats- steel cut oats (or something like that don't remember exactly). Are ground oats and steel cut oats the same oats? what's the difference.

and when they talk about a shake with whey and ground oats..do they put not cooked oats in it?

at my local store i can buy oats that needs to be cooked for 20 minutes, and there are others that needs to be cooked for 5 minutes. but they still need to be cooked

Jinru is just really nice. (+1000) Jinru is just really nice. (+1000) Jinru is just really nice. (+1000) Jinru is just really nice. (+1000) Jinru is just really nice. (+1000) Jinru is just really nice. (+1000) Jinru is just really nice. (+1000) Jinru is just really nice. (+1000) Jinru is just really nice. (+1000) Jinru is just really nice. (+1000) Jinru is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think the difference between the oats are store bought oats and freshly packed oats that haven't been processed, guess the former is steel cut and latter is ground.

Yes, when they talk about shakes they are talking about the oats bought in jugs like Quaker Oats, non-cook. When placed in blender with whey powder and milk for 20 secs it goes down easy.

Originally Posted by Jinru View Post
    I think the difference between the oats are store bought oats and freshly packed oats that haven't been processed, guess the former is steel cut and latter is ground.

Yes, when they talk about shakes they are talking about the oats bought in jugs like Quaker Oats, non-cook. When placed in blender with whey powder and milk for 20 secs it goes down easy.
    so steel cut oats would be those - slow cooking oats ( 15 or 20 min, don't remeber)
    ground oats - fast cooking oats (2-3 minutes? don't remember)

right?
    Last edited by robkez313; 03-21-2007 at 03:50 AM.

Jinru is just really nice. (+1000) Jinru is just really nice. (+1000) Jinru is just really nice. (+1000) Jinru is just really nice. (+1000) Jinru is just really nice. (+1000) Jinru is just really nice. (+1000) Jinru is just really nice. (+1000) Jinru is just really nice. (+1000) Jinru is just really nice. (+1000) Jinru is just really nice. (+1000) Jinru is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by robkez313 View Post
    so steel cut oats would be those - slow cooking oats ( 15 or 20 min, don't remeber)
    ground oats - fast cooking oats (2-3 minutes? don't remember)

right?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...el+ground+oats

This should clear it up I hope, lol.

Steel Cut are as implied, oats cut with a blade for a fine heartier texture. Yes, steel are the 15-20min oats.
    Rolled oats are cut and then rolled to have a flaky texture (Quaker Old Fashion Oats). Rolled would be the 2-3min oats.
    Ground oats are oats literally picked from the fields that haven't been processed yet. Dunno how the hell you go about cooking this...

Originally Posted by Jinru View Post
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...el+ground+oats

This should clear it up I hope, lol.

Steel Cut are as implied, oats cut with a blade for a fine heartier texture. Yes, steel are the 15-20min oats.
    Rolled oats are cut and then rolled to have a flaky texture (Quaker Old Fashion Oats). Rolled would be the 2-3min oats.
    Ground oats are oats literally picked from the fields that haven't been processed yet. Dunno how the hell you go about cooking this...
    summary:
    Steel Cut oats = Ground oats ?
    asking because people say to drink a shake of whey and [ground] oats first thing in the morning. so what do they have in mind by saying ground oats? do they mean steal cut , not procesed oats?

Originally Posted by robkez313 View Post
    summary:
    Steel Cut oats = Ground oats ?
    asking because people say to drink a shake of whey and [ground] oats first thing in the morning. so what do they have in mind by saying ground oats? do they mean steal cut , not procesed oats?
    steel cut oats = rolled oats and I think rolled is another term for ground?

Heres the oatmeal I buy and use to blend with my shake. Many others use this as well.
    http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/qo_ourP...fm?productid=3

erica514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erica514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erica514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erica514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erica514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erica514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erica514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erica514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erica514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erica514 will become famous soon enough. (+50) erica514 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't even put the oats in my shakes. I cook them separately on the side and just eat 'em. I'm still getting my oats, without having the nasty texture in my protein shake. lol