SolidForce23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Knee problems, need advice

Hey guys,

yeah you guessed it. I'm having problems doing squats because my knees are beat up from football season. what do you guys suggest I do? I also do stiff legged deadlift, leg extensions, leg curls, calf raises, and lunges, but I feel squats are in a way "the king of the leg exercises"

Anyone else have these problems? What should I do? I'm thinking of taking a break from the exercises that hurt my knees (squats and lunges) for a while, and then going back to them later when my knees feel better.

Oh yeah, and do those joint mixtures with msm, chondroitin, and glucosamine actually work?

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys..

-Rob
    Don't flinch; don't fall; hit the line hard.

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)

Re: Knee problems, need advice

Originally posted by SolidForce23
    Hey guys,

yeah you guessed it. I'm having problems doing squats because my knees are beat up from football season. what do you guys suggest I do? I also do stiff legged deadlift, leg extensions, leg curls, calf raises, and lunges, but I feel squats are in a way "the king of the leg exercises"

Anyone else have these problems? What should I do? I'm thinking of taking a break from the exercises that hurt my knees (squats and lunges) for a while, and then going back to them later when my knees feel better.

Oh yeah, and do those joint mixtures with msm, chondroitin, and glucosamine actually work?

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys..

-Rob
    Can you be a bit more specific about what you mean by "beat up"? Is there a specific injury(ies) to your knees? Why can't you do squats??
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

mike_8401 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mike_8401 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mike_8401 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mike_8401 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mike_8401 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mike_8401 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    if your knees hurt that badly and are interferring with your workouts, than yeah i would suggest avoid working out your legs. do the workouts that you can do with your legs, but avoid exercises that will cause discomfort with your knees.

while taking a break from your knee injuries, find out what you can on ways to help you with your knee problems. try a search maybe.

good luck bro.

Does this look infected? italian stallio's Avatar
    italian stallio is on a distinguished road. (+10) italian stallio is on a distinguished road. (+10) italian stallio is on a distinguished road. (+10) italian stallio is on a distinguished road. (+10) italian stallio is on a distinguished road. (+10) italian stallio is on a distinguished road. (+10) italian stallio is on a distinguished road. (+10) italian stallio is on a distinguished road. (+10) italian stallio is on a distinguished road. (+10) italian stallio is on a distinguished road. (+10) italian stallio is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yea what kind of knee problems? Because back in my freshman year I had oshgood-schlatter disease. Thats when the bone grows faster than the muscle around the knees or something and the stretching causes it to hurt a lot. The doctor said no permanent damage would result if I kept playing football on my bad knees so I continued to play. He also said I could keep doing leg workouts, but I could barely move my legs, even when I wasn't playing sports. They hurt so much, I couldn't even extend my legs all the way when I was sitting in a chair, like when you do leg extensions but with no weight. The knee pain was killer so leg workouts were out of the question hah.

SolidForce23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well basically, it's just a pain that rests in my lower knee.. right under the knee cap. It hurts when I kneel on either knee, or when I do any sort of squatting/lunging motion. I play the defensive line (odd, I'm build more like a linebacker... anyway) so when I get chop blocked (for those of you that don't follow football, a chop block is when the offensive lineman rolls into your shins/knees to cause you to fall down, rather than blocking you head up) my knees take a beating. Plus, I've fallen on my knees quite a bit over the course of the season.

It doesn't really hurt when I walk or even run, but it does when I put heavy pressure on the knee joint.
    Don't flinch; don't fall; hit the line hard.

TheLethalWeap0n has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hmm mabey a cartilage tear? prolyl should get it checked out by the doctor.. I just got my Medial Meniscus repaired and I had similar symptoms...

Slayer666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Flax Seed Oil....

Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Douche_Nutz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Check out these threads where I got some help for my knee problems:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hreadid=181713

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hreadid=183720

Also, if you do get back into squats or keep doing them MAKE SURE you are pushing outwards with your knees. You DO NOT want to cave in or buckle at all with your knees.

littlebuffman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) littlebuffman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) littlebuffman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) littlebuffman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) littlebuffman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) littlebuffman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) littlebuffman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) littlebuffman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) littlebuffman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) littlebuffman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) littlebuffman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If it comes to having to get a knee reconstruction, remember a fake knee can take more **** than a real knee
    T 1 D

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally posted by SolidForce23
    Well basically, it's just a pain that rests in my lower knee.. right under the knee cap. It hurts when I kneel on either knee, or when I do any sort of squatting/lunging motion. I play the defensive line (odd, I'm build more like a linebacker... anyway) so when I get chop blocked (for those of you that don't follow football, a chop block is when the offensive lineman rolls into your shins/knees to cause you to fall down, rather than blocking you head up) my knees take a beating. Plus, I've fallen on my knees quite a bit over the course of the season.

It doesn't really hurt when I walk or even run, but it does when I put heavy pressure on the knee joint.
    Yeah yeah, sounds like patello-femoral syndrome. Stretch, check shoes, check form, see about treatment if the problem doesn't get better. I have posted on this before.
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

Joka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by littlebuffman
    If it comes to having to get a knee reconstruction, remember a fake knee can take more **** than a real knee
    I'm not sure where you heard that, or who told you that, but nothing is better than the original.
    Good Times

JK

chaos17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chaos17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chaos17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chaos17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chaos17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chaos17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chaos17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chaos17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chaos17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chaos17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chaos17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i blew out both my knees in football.....i know what its like man....just take a break until your knees dont hurt anymore
    Pain is nothing but weakness leaving the body....