Shredder_921 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

calisthenic benifits?

hey i was just wondering does calisthenics have any benifits you can't receive through weight training? i don't really see the point of calisthenics unless you just happen to be s.o.l and don't have a weight room. i am a martial artist and some people suggest that i do calisthenics instead of weights. should i take their advice? i really want to get a little bigger but i don't want to sacrifice speed. i was kinda thinking about doing cardio daily, calisthenics mon/wed, and HIT training on friday. good idea? anyway, if you can answer please do.

Calistheticman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you are a martial artist, the best way to go is Body weight exercises (calisthetics). many ppl on these boards wil bash calisthetics because they are bodybuilders, but in reality, if you just want to be healthy looking, with a good muscular build, and a low body fat you should definitely stick to calisthetics. Another reason to use calisthetics over weights is because of speed and flexibility, and less of a chance of injury. Don't get me wrong, with weigths you can actually become more flexible and fast, but only if you stretch correctly, and warm up correctly. These two things are often neglected by 80% of lifters, and the time spent trying to increase speed and flexibility while still using weights is far more than what is need to gain flexibilty and speed from calisthetics. Believe it or not, calisthetics actually do increase strength , a lot. So, with that in mind, definitely stick to calisthetics.

here is a site where you can find calisthetic workouts: www.trainforstrength.com and go to the workouts section.
    good luck

P.S. i forgot to mention that weights can increase the risk of heart attack, stroke, or brain anuerysms, so keep that in mind.
    Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body

Registered User StephanieAllen1's Avatar
    StephanieAllen1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) StephanieAllen1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) StephanieAllen1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) StephanieAllen1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) StephanieAllen1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) StephanieAllen1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) StephanieAllen1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) StephanieAllen1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) StephanieAllen1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) StephanieAllen1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) StephanieAllen1 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by Shredder_921 View Post
    hey i was just wondering does calisthenics have any benifits you can't receive through weight training? i don't really see the point of calisthenics unless you just happen to be s.o.l and don't have a weight room. i am a martial artist and some people suggest that i do calisthenics instead of weights. should i take their advice? i really want to get a little bigger but i don't want to sacrifice speed. i was kinda thinking about doing cardio daily, calisthenics mon/wed, and HIT training on friday. good idea? anyway, if you can answer please do.
    Calisthenics and weight training both offer unique benefits, and the choice between them ultimately depends on your personal goals, preferences, and circumstances. While weight training typically involves lifting external weights (such as dumbbells or barbells), calisthenics utilizes bodyweight exercises (such as push-ups, pull-ups, and squats) to build strength, endurance, and flexibility.
    Here's a suggested weekly schedule:

Monday/Wednesday: Calisthenics for strength and muscle building. Focus on exercises like push-ups, pull-ups, squats, lunges, and planks.

Tuesday/Thursday: Cardiovascular training. This could include running, cycling, or martial arts-specific drills to improve endurance.

Friday: HIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) for a total body workout. This can help you burn fat while maintaining muscle mass.

Weekend: Rest or light activity to allow your body to recover.

Make sure to listen to your body and adjust your training intensity and volume as needed to prevent overtraining and injury. Additionally, ensure you're getting adequate nutrition to support your training goals.

StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StephenCGreen has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you are already fit, definitely focus on calisthenics first. When you have mastered moving your own body weight, then consider selecting certain weight training exercises that will allow you to incorporate progressive overload to some degree. You may decide that you would benefit from increasing your strength through various movements, especially squat and press versus an opponent.

If you are not yet fit, and your own body weight is too challenging for you, then consider using barbell and dumbbell exercises that are lighter than your own body weight and incorporate progressive overload as well as perhaps some weight loss if needed, until you can graduate to full calisthenics movements.

So, yes, barbell and dumbbell training do offer things that calisthenics does not, but you may simply not need them at this time.

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do both. In traditional martial arts, there was always elements of strength training using implements. From simple lifting stones to stone levers, even traditional looking barbells.