Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

feeling intimidated asking for spotters in the gym

this is going to sound extremely stupid but I always feel a little shy asking for spotters in the gym. I feel like I mainly need them for bench press and squats and unfortunately the staff isn't always available to help me.

does anyone else have this problem? I just always worry that I'm gonna interrupt someone's time at the gym if I ask for a spotter. I've occasionally done it if I'm working in with someone because they're already there.

I guess I should just suck it up and assume someone will be happy to spot me?

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Didn't you already post this? Set the safety spotter arms/pins correctly and you don't need a human spotter. You should set them correctly even if you have a person to assist. If your equipment doesn't have safeties, find a different gym or stick to dumbbells and machines.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #79 ▪█─────█▪

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    My college gym normally had about 200 people in it at any given time. It's normal to work in with strangers on equipment and give each other spots. On weekend nights you'd normally run into some of the same people at a keg party. It was $2 for a bottomless cup of draft beer.
    Furnishe renal houses in Coffeyville Kasas. Washer/dryer, full kitchen, cable/wifi, all bills paid. Welders, fiters, boilermakers, electricians, inspectors for the refinery, soybea plant, bio diesel plant, pipeline and animal food plant conractors.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Tybittz3 View Post
    I feel like I mainly need them for bench press and squats and unfortunately the staff isn't always available to help me.
    A single spotter for squats is generally useless unless you're lifting close to nothing - which is likely the case.

I just always worry that I'm gonna interrupt someone's time at the gym if I ask for a spotter. I've occasionally done it if I'm working in with someone because they're already there.
    You're also interrupting someone's time at the gym when you ask to work in with them, particularly on BP and squats.

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    Didn't you already post this?
    Perhaps if we were capable of giving better answers OP wouldn't ask the same questions over and over and over again.

Zealot from the housetops PaulJerome's Avatar
    PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I guess I should just suck it up and assume someone will be happy to spot me?
    Wait until someone in close proximity is done with a set and then ask them or ask them before and say, 'can you give me a spot after your set?'. I only need a spotter on incline bench on my heaviest set. I also explain to them how to spot me.

I was at Crunch Fitness Tyrone a few months ago and wanted a spot on incline. A personal trainer was walking by who happened to be female. I asked her if she would spot me. She hesitated. That should have been a red flag for me.

I explained that I'll probaby get 5 or 6, but will gamble on one extra rep since you are standing there. You will only need two fingers and I showed her how to hold the bar when spotting me.

Did 6 reps and with arms locked, I looked up at her and said 'help me on this one'. She must have thought I said 'don't help me on this one'. I went down slowly and pushed it up less than half way and stalled on rep 7. This idiot didn't give me any help. Was sitting there for probably 4 seconds and then I just set it on my chest.

Was only 235 lbs but for her that was too heavy to lift off my chest by herself, even with my help because I was gassed. Another dude came over to help who weighted probably 160lbs. Both of them together couldn't lift it. A third person came over and lifted it for me.

Didn't want the trainer to feel bad so I said: 'sorry I gassed'.

Moral of the story, never ask for a female spot. On two separate occasions, I was left with the bar on my chest and a woman who couldn't lift it.
    6'5" 210 lbs, 10.9% body fat

Bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable unto all things.

Willing to create a thread "Is Paul Jerome a Larp" if anyone with a username 5 years or older accuses me of fraud. Any takers?

Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Didn't you already post this? Set the safety spotter arms/pins correctly and you don't need a human spotter. You should set them correctly even if you have a person to assist. If your equipment doesn't have safeties, find a different gym or stick to dumbbells and machines.
    actually yea I may have. my bad

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    A single spotter for squats is generally useless unless you're lifting close to nothing - which is likely the case.

You're also interrupting someone's time at the gym when you ask to work in with them, particularly on BP and squats.

I've had spotters for squats who would stand right behind me and I found it useful.

Perhaps if we were capable of giving better answers OP wouldn't ask the same questions over and over and over again.
    I've had spotters for squats who would stand right behind me and I found it useful. at least for the sake of correcting form.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've had spotters for squats who would stand right behind me and I found it useful. at least for the sake of correcting form.
    Probably <5% of people you’d think to ask for a spot actually know how to properly spot a squat, and even then one spotter is not that useful in an actual emergency at a substantial weight, but if you’re not concerned with the safety aspect of it then I guess it’s not an issue.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Ok I'll bite. How does having someone standing behind you help you correct your form?
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #79 ▪█─────█▪

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Bring a training partner you already know into the gym with you, that way you have both a spotter and someone to motivate you to do more - and hopefully, vice versa as well.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261

Originally Posted by TheShadowMan View Post
    Bring a training partner you already know into the gym with you, that way you have both a spotter and someone to motivate you to do more - and hopefully, vice versa as well.
    that's what I wish I can do but haven't found anyone reliable when I've asked around

Ok I'll bite. How does having someone standing behind you help you correct your form?
    they can verbally correct me is what I'm saying. not necessarily related to them being behind me. but they might be able to see my stance better at least.

Probably <5% of people you’d think to ask for a spot actually know how to properly spot a squat, and even then one spotter is not that useful in an actual emergency at a substantial weight, but if you’re not concerned with the safety aspect of it then I guess it’s not an issue.
    I guess I get what you're saying. because there's not much they can do with assisting me with the weight? and safety is a concern to me which is why I want someone near me. but maybe there's no point like you guys are saying
    Last edited by Tybittz3; 04-22-2024 at 10:55 AM.

sometimes I feel like I also need a spotter on dumbells too, or at least someone to put the weight in my hands/help me set them up, or help me keep them stable. people say you don't need one for dumbbells but I've found them helpful.

I guess I get what you're saying. because there's not much they can do with assisting me with the weight? and safety is a concern to me which is why I want someone near me.
    Again, this is why you have safety bars in any halfway proper gym or home setup.

I would never spot someone on a squat who doesn't understand this, since that person is going to bail on the bar at the first sign of trouble and expect me to catch it. You have just as much responsibility for the safety of the spotter as he has for yours in a squat situation, aside from the fact that you're inserting a spotter into a situation where he/she isn't needed in the first place.

If you're going to ask for a squat spotter, know your role & responsibilities in the event that you fail. And learn exactly what a spotter is supposed to do, so you can instruct them about how to spot correctly when they just stand "near" you commenting on your form - and doing absolutely nothing for your safety.

Again, this is why you have safety bars in any halfway proper gym or home setup.

I would never spot someone on a squat who doesn't understand this, since that person is going to bail on the bar at the first sign of trouble and expect me to catch it. You have just as much responsibility for the safety of the spotter as he has for yours in a squat situation, aside from the fact that you're inserting a spotter into a situation where he/she isn't needed in the first place.

If you're going to ask for a squat spotter, know your role & responsibilities in the event that you fail. And learn exactly what a spotter is supposed to do, so you can instruct them about how to spot correctly when they just stand "near" you commenting on your form - and doing absolutely nothing for your safety.
    gotcha. wish trainers explained this to me but I've learned that most of them don't know what theyre doing.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I used to spot this lady named Michelle doing squats. 5'4" and about 130 lbs. She was a sheriffs deputy. That was always fun.
    Last edited by paulinkansas; 04-22-2024 at 01:40 PM.
    Furnishe renal houses in Coffeyville Kasas. Washer/dryer, full kitchen, cable/wifi, all bills paid. Welders, fiters, boilermakers, electricians, inspectors for the refinery, soybea plant, bio diesel plant, pipeline and animal food plant conractors.

Good information. I'm bumping you up in my sig.

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    gotcha. wish trainers explained this to me but I've learned that most of them don't know what theyre doing.
    Hmm, there's an idea. Why not ask a trainer working at the gym itself for a spot(in the event that you can't use the spotters available in the power racks)? It is their job to help you out, after all yeah?
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261