beatificfrost has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Advice on Restarting

I went to the gym at least six days a week in my early 20s. I logged my diet and every rep or cardio session. I had a personal trainer to help me develop the lifting program and push me in the gym.

Fast forward. I'm approaching 40, sit at a desk 10 hours per day, and eat fast food at least twice a day. I haven't seen a gym or made an effort to exercise in years. I'm unhealthy.

I weighed myself for the first time in years today. I only gained maybe 20 pounds over the years, now 5'8" and 201 lbs, but my body composition must be terrible, with weight accumulating in my gut and chest.

I've had enough. I'm ready to go all in, and I'm going to keep a daily transformation log on this site. I have the motivation but need your help getting started.

Is there a comprehensive program, book, or plan you can recommend for someone who already understands the concepts and form and motion but needs to tie it together with a specific routine, supplement recommendations, etc? I want some structure and something to follow.

I can do extreme. Years ago I did 45 days of PSMF, ran marathons, and kept daily logs. I don't need to know what macronutrients are or how to execute a lift. I need a comprehensive program to buy into designed for people with some experience and capability.

There is actually a small gym in my house, used mostly by my girlfriend. It has a peleton, adjustable dumbbells, adjustable kettlebell, and a bench. I can get a gym membership if needed.

I don't expect to be a prized bodybuilder. I want to look decent and get my body fat percentage way down.

My initial thought is to cut weight as quickly as possible (minimal calories and lots of cardio) despite the additional muscle loss, going from 201 lbs to 175 lbs, then try to stick at that weight while building muscle and losing fat. But I'm looking for someone with more knowledge to help point me in the right direction in restarting here. When I get into the transformation, I'll post the thread so you can see how you helped. Thanks for reading all this and for any advice you have!

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by beatificfrost View Post
    I had a personal trainer to help me develop the lifting program and push me in the gym.
    That's a bit of a red flag. I've never seen trainers and rarely hear of one that didn't have their clients putter around aimlessly. What program did your trainer have for you and what were your results?

Fast forward. I'm approaching 40, sit at a desk 10 hours per day, and eat fast food at least twice a day. I haven't seen a gym or made an effort to exercise in years. I'm unhealthy.

I weighed myself for the first time in years today. I only gained maybe 20 pounds over the years, now 5'8" and 201 lbs, but my body composition must be terrible, with weight accumulating in my gut and chest.
    I can do extreme. Years ago I did 45 days of PSMF, ran marathons, and kept daily logs. I don't need to know what macronutrients are or how to execute a lift. I need a comprehensive program to buy into designed for people with some experience and capability.
    Your program should fit your current physical state, not what you know or think you know. You need to be on a novice program. That's what I did after a long layoff.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I need a comprehensive program to buy into designed for people with some experience and capability.

There is actually a small gym in my house, used mostly by my girlfriend. It has a peleton, adjustable dumbbells, adjustable kettlebell, and a bench. I can get a gym membership if needed.
    Fierce 5 dumb bell program. It's what I do, and you have twice the amount of equipment as me. But I'm just a feeble 56 year old guy.

Furnishe renal hoses in Cofeville Kasas. Washe/drye, full kitcen, cale/wif, all bills paid. Welders, fiters, boilermakes, electicians, inpectors the refiery, soybea plat, bio disel plant, pipline and anmal fod plant conractors.

jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Your program should fit your current physical state, not what you know or think you know. You need to be on a novice program. That's what I did after a long layoff.
    +1
    Nothing happens from what I know. It's only what I do! Action!

Pick a starter program in the sticky's, don't modify it, and stick with it until you graduate. Even if it's not as fast as you think it should be. Just turn your brain off and slug it out.

Personally I would not cut first. Around two years ago 6'2 in about half a year I went from 190lbs to 155lbs on a hardcore low carb no sugar diet because of a diabetes scare. Without exercise - just calorie restriction. I feel in my experience I would have done better starting the workout immediately. I "lost" the time I was dropping weight and losing more muscle. Pick a starter routine don't cheat be honest with your max lifts and starting weights and HIT IT! Resist all impatience and thinking you are somehow special and need a customized whatever. Follow the boring and it will work if you keep it up.
    “For new tricks you have to disconnect your brain, to forget that you can fall, and that is the hardest work. Just do it! Don’t care what people think. If you want, you can!” - Sarah Lezito