Joefree is on a distinguished road. (+10)

A few questions about people’s experience with the bulk cut cycle

Hello! I use this forum a lot but this is my first post.

Bit of background, I’ve done weight training on and off for about 20 years but never really take it that seriously.

In April this year I decided I wanted to really be consistent and found a good routine (Lyle Macdonalds GBR) and learnt about bulking and marcos etc.

So I did a 9 month bulk and gained 10kg, not a huge amount of that was fat tbh. Although maybe I just carry it well as I’m tall? I started my cut about 3 weeks ago. About a week in I decided I didn’t have the patience to do a gradual cut and I’m being quite aggressive with it. Probably 700-1000 cal deficit a day, I’ve lost 5.5kg so far. I’m estimating 2-3kg of that was water as it dropped off in the first 3 days. I feel pretty good tbh.

So I guess my questions are:

1. What should I expect when I switch back to a calorie surplus? Cos right now I’ve obviously stalled on my lifts, dropped a bit on squats but held the rest. and generally feel like **** towards the end of a work out haha. I also feel skinny AF. Not sure if that’s psychological.

2. I want to get to about 8-10% body fat or what ever when I’m happy with my abs. How long will I keep the abs after starting to bulk again at say 500 cal surplus?

3. I keep hearing that I might destroy my metabolism with such an aggressive cut? Is that BS? Or should I throw in a few days at maintenance here and there?

I’m 6’2” currently weighing 95kg estimated body fat 12-14%

My TDEE is probably around 21000 a week (3000 a day) based on the way I gained and lost weight. Natural.

Also, I’m not 54, I’m 40! Not sure why it says that.
    Last edited by Joefree; 03-27-2024 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Age is wrong

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    destroying your metabolism is a myth, and you won't keep your abs for long if you go for a 500 calorie surplus. rather do a 200-300 surplus, a nice lean bulk where you gain around 1 kg per month

Joefree is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    destroying your metabolism is a myth, and you won't keep your abs for long if you go for a 500 calorie surplus. rather do a 200-300 surplus, a nice lean bulk where you gain around 1 kg per month
    I think I have a pretty good feel for what my TDEE is now so that is really good advice. Thank you.

zakandrews398 is not very well liked. (-100) zakandrews398 is not very well liked. (-100) zakandrews398 is not very well liked. (-100) zakandrews398 is not very well liked. (-100) zakandrews398 is not very well liked. (-100) zakandrews398 is not very well liked. (-100) zakandrews398 is not very well liked. (-100) zakandrews398 is not very well liked. (-100) zakandrews398 is not very well liked. (-100) zakandrews398 is not very well liked. (-100) zakandrews398 is not very well liked. (-100)
    The reason eating quickly can be problematic is that it doesn’t allow your brain to register consciously when you’re full.

Midnightbast is not very helpful. (-500) Midnightbast is not very helpful. (-500) Midnightbast is not very helpful. (-500) Midnightbast is not very helpful. (-500) Midnightbast is not very helpful. (-500) Midnightbast is not very helpful. (-500) Midnightbast is not very helpful. (-500) Midnightbast is not very helpful. (-500) Midnightbast is not very helpful. (-500) Midnightbast is not very helpful. (-500) Midnightbast is not very helpful. (-500)
    Sounds like you've made great progress! When switching back to a calorie surplus, expect strength gains to return gradually. Maintaining abs depends on individual factors like genetics and training consistency. Aggressive cuts may affect metabolism, so consider periodic maintenance days. Keep up the hard work