WarmAura44 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Post My Push Pull / Upper Lower Split

When is a deload appropriate? I've been training almost every day for 2.5 months and although I'm following a balanced split that optimizes local recovery I feel like puking after today's workout and I'm immediately sore which is unusual.

My split for the past 2.5 months:

Push - upper body
    >decline bench press
    >rope pushdowns
    >cable lateral raises
    >incline dumbbell fly
    >abs
    Push - lower body
    >leg press
    >abductor machine
    >calves
    >leg extensions
    >biceps
    Pull - upper body
    >lat pulldown + variations
    >seated cable row
    >barbell shrugs
    >facepulls
    >abs
    Pull - lower body
    >romanian deadlift
    >hamstring curl
    >adductor machine
    >hip thrusts
    >lower back extensions
    Repeat

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You don't have sets, reps, weights used but I think it would be a fair guess that you're not really pushing yourself to the point you need a deload. Essentially, you're doing one primary movement per workout with a bunch of accessories.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    You don't have sets, reps, weights used but I think it would be a fair guess that you're not really pushing yourself to the point you need a deload. Essentially, you're doing one primary movement per workout with a bunch of accessories.
    I train pretty hard. I do moderate-high intensity warmup sets as I get to a weight I can hit for about 6 very hard reps (very slow, lots of breaths, pausing by final 2 reps). Then I do reverse pyramid same intensity as many reps as I can until the weights low. Probably at least 4 to 6 hard working sets per exercise conservatively speaking.

TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's still basically one compound with a bunch of isolations. I can't imagine it being too taxing.

And there's no such thing as moderate-high intensity warmups.

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    It's still basically one compound with a bunch of isolations. I can't imagine it being too taxing.

And there's no such thing as moderate-high intensity warmups.
    There's no such thing as doing lighter sets with moderate to high intensity as you bump up the weight to a 6 rep max?

How is this hard to figure out? I clearly mean that I hit the lighter sets with only a few reps left in reserve as I work up to the weight of my 6 rep max.

How would you feel if you didn't eat breakfast today?

Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do you feel like you need a deload?

A trainee might need a deload because of muscular stress, joint stress or systemic stress. Whether or not a deload is appropriate depends on a host of factors - how taxing the training is, how many life stressors are impacting his physical performance, what is his diet like? etc.

To put it simply, a program can either provide adequate recovery or it can force the trainee to overreach over time. A program that provides adequate recovery can be ran with no deloads or time away from the gym without issue. A program that forces the trainee to overreach will over time put so much stress on the trainee that a deload / time away from the gym is necessary. Typically the person will then come back and be significantly stronger than before the time off.

A program that forces the trainee to overreach is probably more effective than a program that provides adequate recovery. The reason being that we ensure adequate stimuli. We are leaving nothing in the tank, so to speak. A program that provides adequate recovery will eer on the side of safety, and thus probably leave some gains on the table. This all evens out over time, of course.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter too much. It depends on the individuals preferences. Some people want to go often and hard, then take 5 days completely off lets say every 3-4 weeks. Other wants to just run their program in perpetuity and not think too much about it.
    390 back squat
    285 bench press
    500 deadlift (I don't DL anymore)

"It's not about how much you lift. Its about how much it looks like you lift"

Originally Posted by WarmAura44 View Post
    There's no such thing as doing lighter sets with moderate to high intensity as you bump up the weight to a 6 rep max?

How is this hard to figure out? I clearly mean that I hit the lighter sets with only a few reps left in reserve as I work up to the weight of my 6 rep max.
    That's not a warm-up.... You seem to be mixed up on a few concepts. If you hit a few reps short of failures in your ramps, your 6rm is not your 6rm

Originally Posted by WarmAura44 View Post
    How would you feel if you didn't eat breakfast today?
    I don't usually eat until noonish so I'd feel fine
    Last edited by TolerantLactose; 03-23-2024 at 08:50 AM.