BaldrickG is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Rowing back on muscle gain?

Ok, so after years of no progress or motivation, I decided to properly do New Year, new me. My aim is to build muscle.

My gym has an InBody Body Composition Analyser, which I am using.

In January, I did a lot of rowing on the Concept2 erg machine, with excellent technique (I trained as a rower as a teenager). I gained 800g of muscle, and lost 1.1kg of fat. My BFP dropped from 25.9% to 24.6%. Great.

In February, I started doing much more weight training, pushing to failure. I didn't do nearly as much rowing. I felt like I was doing good progressive overloads and working hard. But my recent weigh-in revealed I lost 300g of muscle and gained 200g of fat, even though I was eating way more protein than in January, and cutting way back on snacks and drinking even more.

Should I return to rowing, as it seems to work? Maybe I was better at really pushing myself in rowing, and actually working harder... And if so, any advice for carrying this over into weights?

(Male, 24: 6'2", 216lb -- 188cm, 98kg.)

CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000) CW47 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Stop using the InBody Analyser. It's notoriously unreliable for measuring the things it says it measures. Don't make any decisions based upon the results it gives you.

As far as doing rowing or weight training, it all depends upon what your goals are and what you feel like you can do consistently well into the future. There's no reason why you can't do a combination of both.
    The Flywheel Effect - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172103043