Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question am I going to be able to make long term gains with just dumbells and machines?ells

I know a lot of people swear by compound movements but the issue is I just don't always have access to a spotter and it doesnt seem like the squat rack or bench press rack have safety pins at my gym. I'm thinking of running the fierce 5 dumbell program soon to start with because everyone on here seems to swear by those programs. I'm wondering if I can just stick to dumbells and machines long-term to build muscle or am I going to eventually going to want it compound exercises as well? appreciate the support.

edit: I just reread the guide and it looks like I'll have to move onto compound exercises eventually. I assume dumbells will prepare me for that?
    Last edited by Tybittz3; 03-16-2024 at 07:55 PM.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    This is me. I just use dumb bells in my garage. Draw your own conclusion.

Current rankings

ElKoeh: Sparro
    TolerntLacoe: Oposum
    Faithbra: Opossu
    SuicideGripMe: Falco
    MTpocket: Owl
    Air2Fake: Wease
    Stefo9: Fert
    Camarja: Raccon
    TearOfIc: Fox
    Paulinanas: Coyot
    Sails: Wlf

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    After all this time researching this and that and the other, you don't know what compound movements are...
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Take pictures of every machine at your gym.

Selectorized Machines.

Plate Loaded Machines.

Free weight racks

Free weight benches

Smith Machines

45 degree hyper benches

Benches of all sorts

Dumbbells

Everything

I can help you pick exercises to work with Fierce 5, substitutions if necessary with equipmemt available

Just post the pictures
    ► Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique ► Renaissance Periodization Programming
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    ► Progress Pictures
    ► https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybittz3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    After all this time researching this and that and the other, you don't know what compound movements are...
    did I say that??? no, I didn't. Jesus christ some people on these forums...

TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Tybittz3 View Post
    did I say that??? no, I didn't. Jesus christ some people on these forums...
    You did say that.

I'm thinking of running the fierce 5 dumbell program soon to start with because everyone on here seems to swear by those programs. I'm wondering if I can just stick to dumbells and machines long-term to build muscle or am I going to eventually going to want it compound exercises as well?
    Fierce 5 dumbbell program is mostly compounds...

You did say that.

no I did not say that. I asked if I needed them. and there's a fierce 5 program with just dumbells....

no I did not say that. I asked if I needed them. and there's a fierce 5 program with just dumbells....

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    It's what I do with 5 more accessory lifts. 2 sets of each lift. And I have poor genetics.
    Current rankings

dude I'm looking through the whole list of programs. I literally see one with mostly dumbells. the regular program is mostly compound...there's a couple of versions. unless compounds don't only refer to barbell exercises.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You can do compound lifts with dumbbells and the majority of the movements in Fierce 5 DB are compounds. You can even do bodyweight compound movements. For example, pull ups, push ups, inverted rows, and dips are all compound movements.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #79 ▪█─────█▪

Originally Posted by Camarija View Post
    Take pictures of every machine at your gym.

Selectorized Machines.

Plate Loaded Machines.

Free weight racks

Free weight benches

Smith Machines

45 degree hyper benches

Benches of all sorts

Dumbbells

Everything

I can help you pick exercises to work with Fierce 5, substitutions if necessary with equipmemt available

Just post the pictures
    appreciate it

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    You can do compound lifts with dumbbells and the majority of the movements in Fierce 5 DB are compounds. You can even do bodyweight compound movements. For example, pull ups, push ups, inverted rows, and dips are all compound movements.
    for some reason I always thought of compound movements as just barbells. I don't know why.

unless compounds don't only refer to barbell exercises.
    Yes. You stumbled on the answer.

Usually, it doesn't take people this long to clue in.

Do you understand why we have been recommending you in particular should not be doing your own programming? You don't have a grasp on the bare basics.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    To answer your original question, yes you can make longterm gains with just dumbbells and machines. You can make total body gains forever if you have access to good machines with big weight stacks, but many would argue that including barbell work will be more rewarding because you aren't restricted in planes of movement.

Dumbbells are awesome, but get a little trickier as you get stronger especially for legs and chest because finding and maneuvering heavy enough dumbbells becomes difficult.

For example, squatting 300 lbs is doable for most adult males, but doing that with a pair of 150 lb dumbbells is a lot trickier than loading plates on a bar or stepping into a hack squat machine.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #79 ▪█─────█▪

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm wondering if I can just stick to dumbells and machines long-term to build muscle
    One can, you likely won’t. (srs)

Some people find ways to make no progress year after year in the gym. Not trying to hate, but I really think you should find a different hobby.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    I really think you should find a different hobby.
    +1 .
    Current rankings

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    One can, you likely won’t. (srs)

Some people find ways to make no progress year after year in the gym. Not trying to hate, but I really think you should find a different hobby.
    no, I want to gain muscle. not accepting discouragement or negativity. why wouldn't I make long term gains if I follow the programs on here?
    Last edited by Tybittz3; 03-18-2024 at 08:53 AM.

Yes. You stumbled on the answer.

Usually, it doesn't take people this long to clue in.

Do you understand why we have been recommending you in particular should not be doing your own programming? You don't have a grasp on the bare basics.
    I didn't make the programming. I already said I'm going to switch to fierce 5. and you could have just corrected me without being nasty about it.

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    To answer your original question, yes you can make longterm gains with just dumbbells and machines. You can make total body gains forever if you have access to good machines with big weight stacks, but many would argue that including barbell work will be more rewarding because you aren't restricted in planes of movement.

Dumbbells are awesome, but get a little trickier as you get stronger especially for legs and chest because finding and maneuvering heavy enough dumbbells becomes difficult.

For example, squatting 300 lbs is doable for most adult males, but doing that with a pair of 150 lb dumbbells is a lot trickier than loading plates on a bar or stepping into a hack squat machine.
    I've also noticed with heavier dumbells it's hard to set them up. I sometimes need so someone to put them in my hands first if that makes sense.

I've also noticed with heavier dumbells it's hard to set them up. I sometimes need so someone to put them in my hands first if that makes sense.
    Go with lighter weight and more repetitions. I work my way up to 20 reps on everything. But I'm just a feeble little scrawny frail 56 year old guy as you can see in post #2 of this thread.
    Current rankings

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    Go with lighter weight and more repetitions. I work my way up to 20 reps on everything. But I'm just a feeble little scrawny frail 56 year old guy as you can see in post #2 of this thread.
    I used to think that if I can do 20 reps I was going too light.

jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    no, I want to gain muscle. not accepting discouragement or negativity. why wouldn't I make long term gains if I follow the programs on here?
    When?

I didn't make the programming. I already said I'm going to switch to fierce 5.
    When?

Stop asking questions and stop thinking about it. Do it! I dare you to start TODAY. Who cares what day of the week it is, or what weight you should start on, or what you ate this morning or that it's the 18th of the month and not the 1st of the month or you are tired from your old ****ty workout program or <insert whatever excuse>.

I double-dog dare you to actually start a program TODAY with WHAT YOU HAVE and HOW YOU KNOW HOW TO DO IT no matter what, and follow it.

I'm in the Eastern Time zone - this give you the next 12 hours to find 45 minutes and actually do workout #1 from Fierce 5 TODAY.

DO IT! Even if you **** it up just do it! Maybe it'll all work out and you won't **** it up! If you do, ask questions after your workouts on how to correct. Asking questions over and over again before actually doing anything trying to make everything perfect before you start is not productive. Start too light, who cares, keep at it time will be your friend it'll get heavy don't worry!!

Then on Wednesday you have 24h to find 45min to 1h to do workout #2. BUT don't worry about that today. You might mess up starting today because of thinking about Wednesday and how you can't work out Wednesday. So what? Then you workout Thursday instead. Whatever!!

WORKOUT YOUR NEW PROGRAM BEFORE MIDNIGHT TODAY. And make this Day 1 of the rest of your life. Worry about Day 2 on Day 2. In fact worry about everything later. Just figure out the lifts for day 1 the best you can and actually workout today.

Then, do it again.

And again

And again

And again...

It's not rocket science and it's not exciting. Just start grinding it out.
    Last edited by jasonp360; 03-18-2024 at 09:24 AM.
    “For new tricks you have to disconnect your brain, to forget that you can fall, and that is the hardest work. Just do it! Don’t care what people think. If you want, you can!” - Sarah Lezito

I used to think that if I can do 20 reps I was going too light.
    Proper form starts breaking down around rep #18.

Reload ammunition between sets and shoot at passing birds.

There is a 10 gauge right by my garage door.
    Current rankings

Originally Posted by jasonp360 View Post
    When?

When?

Stop asking questions and stop thinking about it. Do it! I dare you to start TODAY. Who cares what day of the week it is, or what weight you should start on, or what you ate this morning or that it's the 18th of the month and not the 1st of the month or you are tired from your old ****ty workout program or <insert whatever excuse>.

I double-dog dare you to actually start a program TODAY with WHAT YOU HAVE and HOW YOU KNOW HOW TO DO IT no matter what, and follow it.

I'm in the Eastern Time zone - this give you the next 12 hours to find 45 minutes and actually do workout #1 from Fierce 5 TODAY.

DO IT! Even if you **** it up just do it! Maybe it'll all work out and you won't **** it up! If you do, ask questions after your workouts on how to correct. Asking questions over and over again before actually doing anything trying to make everything perfect before you start is not productive. Start too light, who cares, keep at it time will be your friend it'll get heavy don't worry!!

Then on Wednesday you have 24h to find 45min to 1h to do workout #2. BUT don't worry about that today. You might mess up starting today because of thinking about Wednesday and how you can't work out Wednesday. So what? Then you workout Thursday instead. Whatever!!

WORKOUT YOUR NEW PROGRAM BEFORE MIDNIGHT TODAY. And make this Day 1 of the rest of your life. Worry about Day 2 on Day 2. In fact worry about everything later. Just figure out the lifts for day 1 the best you can and actually workout today.

Then, do it again.

And again

And again

And again...

It's not rocket science and it's not exciting. Just start grinding it out.
    I guess that's fair I just feel like I have to finish out then package with this trainer. I only bought one and this is the last week. I just want to use it so I didn't completely waste my money...(I mean technically I don't have to)
    Last edited by Tybittz3; 03-18-2024 at 09:31 AM.

I guess that's fair I just feel like I have to finish out then package with this trainer. I only bought one and this is the last week. I just want to use it so I didn't completely waste my money...(I mean technically I don't have to)
    Have you ruminated the concept of using AI (Artificial Intelligence) as a trainer? It's free.
    Current rankings

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Because you and your effort, mindset, coinsistency & discipline are the biggest variables in the equation.

You're too busy asking a thousand pointless questions - about what gains you'll make, what's normal, whether something you heard is true, your special/customized needs etc. - to make any gains.

Classic time waster and excuse maker. It's not discouragement or negativity - it's the truth dude.

Until you get serious with true effort under a proper program - and stop talking about it - you'll just be spinning your wheels endlessly.

jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    A million years ago I was at the fair and waited in line for some expensive ribs.
    They looked good but were disgusting.
    So I'm eating them and my wife-to-be asks "How's the ribs?"
    and I tell her "They're pretty gross"
    and she says "Then why are you still eating them?"
    "Because I paid for them!"
    and she says "You are already out the money, it's gone. You want to double-down and get sick too?!"
    I threw the ribs in the trash.
    “For new tricks you have to disconnect your brain, to forget that you can fall, and that is the hardest work. Just do it! Don’t care what people think. If you want, you can!” - Sarah Lezito

There were 2 guys walking in a park. They saw a dog licking its balls. One guy said to other, I wish I could do that. The other guy said you'd better pet him first.
    Current rankings

I didn't make the programming. I already said I'm going to switch to fierce 5. and you could have just corrected me without being nasty about it.
    I corrected you TWICE about the Fierce 5 dumbbell program specifically and both times you said that I didn't consider the dumbbell program. I'll reiterate: I addressed twice what you said I didn't consider. You have a serious problem with perception. It goes well beyond reading comprehension, imo. I'm having serious doubts about your reporting of interactions with your trainers. A lot of things seem to go so far over your head that you don't even notice them.
    Last edited by TolerantLactose; 03-18-2024 at 11:43 AM.