jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Life After The Beginner Program

I will graduate All-Pro Beginner Novice version in another cycle or two and am shopping for the next program.

I enjoy adding size, but also have gotten the bug to get strongish like repping 225+ bench and squat 315+ without injuries.

50 years old, been doing the All-Pro for over a year because patience and figuring out nutrition, started low and slow to not break myself lol. Started 6'2" skinny 150lbs doing 95lb squats and I'm now just a thin 175lbs repping 205 squats this cycle - it's going easy/well so next cycle should be 225.

Love the whole body workout and feeling, but reading here understand pretty soon the volume I need will most likely require a split. Since I enjoy the full body I'm thinking about a push/pull split vs. a upper/lower type program but not at the detriment of what works. I will do whatever program I pick to a T.

It has to be simple. I don't want to yet have to learn decision trees for every workout "if X fails to Y but if Y is good at whatever % of Z deload but no more then <whatever> then remember to joker two times" is not my thing lol.

Workout has to be an hour or less. In another life I once tried the "Dr. Mike Israetel Training Volume Landmarks Hypertrophy Routine" and was in the gym for hours. Not (yet?) for me.

I can do as many days a week required since I workout at 5am, I always have time.

Equipment is barbell, squat rack, ironmaster dumbbells. I don't own any pulley systems or anything like that.

I just can't decide! I know nothing is forever and I can change programs if I hate it. I probably have a few months before my Bench graduates the All Pro, so I have time to overthink this for a while

HIT ME! What's next?

5/3/1 BBB
    Greyskull LP
    5x5
    Fierce 5 upper/lower
    All Pro Intermediate programs hurt my brain to read I can't do something complicated like this yet - EDIT: Oh wait I now just read past "Intermediate 1" and "Intermediate 2" seems like the bomb!
    TAWS6 "Bored? Looking for a new program"

What else is out there?
    Adding to list:
    Starting Strength
    Last edited by jasonp360; 03-15-2024 at 08:13 AM.
    “For new tricks you have to disconnect your brain, to forget that you can fall, and that is the hardest work. Just do it! Don’t care what people think. If you want, you can!” - Sarah Lezito

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Some people never go to split training... it depends on you and your goals. You can honestly stay on full body training for life but you need to change up how you program those fullbodies and the methods you use to progress. For instance, Starting Strength does sets across (3x5 all same weight) where Bill Starrs 5x5 does ramping sets (slowly working up to a top set of 5 and utlizing heavy, medium, and light days).

Personally, Bill Starr's 5x5 is the easiest most bang for your buck program. I love conjugate training as well but it's freedom allows for error if you don't program correctly. 5/3/1 is great too but personally... I find sometimes going for AMRAP's counter productive...it enforces bad technique and changes my mindset (which some don't have, just talking about myself) and without spotters, it's hard to push myself past a set number in my head.

Gun to my head.... If I was designing a life-time program for someone with access to a good gym... Starting Strength until that is milked for all it's worth, then Bill Starr's 5x5... then play with Westside for Skinny Bastards protocols for the rest of my career as I knew my body more.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thank you!

I added Starting Strength to the list. Looks simple and great. Would you suggest starting completely over ie: Phase 1 if I choose Starting Strength as the next program after All Pro?
    “For new tricks you have to disconnect your brain, to forget that you can fall, and that is the hardest work. Just do it! Don’t care what people think. If you want, you can!” - Sarah Lezito

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Have you stalled on All Pro? I wouldn't switch programs if you're seeing good results and making progress.

If you haven't stalled on All Pros but you are getting bored with it, then I would switch to another novice program and keep going until you stall on at least two compound lifts that don't include overhead press. Unless you're gifted at OHP, it usually stalls before squat/bench/deadlift and isn't a good indicator that it's time to move on from novice programming.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #79 ▪█─────█▪

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by jasonp360 View Post
    Equipment is barbell, squat rack, ironmaster dumbbells. I don't own any pulley systems or anything like that.
    h
    Get some exercise bands from Wal Mart. I hang mine from a ceiling joist in my garage along with a heavy punching bag and a gambrel to process deer.
    Current rankings

ElKoeh: Sparrow
    TolerntLacoe: Oposum
    Faithbra: Opossum
    SuicideGripMe: Falcon
    MTpocket: Owl
    Air2Fake: Weasel
    Stefo9: Feret
    Camarja: Raccoon
    TearOfIc: Fox
    Paulinanas: Coyot
    Sails: Wlf

Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    Have you stalled on All Pro? I wouldn't switch programs if you're seeing good results and making progress.

If you haven't stalled on All Pros but you are getting bored with it, then I would switch to another novice program and keep going until you stall on at least two compound lifts that don't include overhead press. Unless you're gifted at OHP, it usually stalls before squat/bench/deadlift and isn't a good indicator that it's time to move on from novice programming.
    Thank you that is great news for me.

Only Bench or OHP stalled a couple times. And, my OHP is low % of bench when comparing to the FAQ on where it should be. After the last bench stall it was recommended to me in the All Pro thread I switch from Beginner (2 sets 8-12 progression per cycle) to Novice (3 sets 5-8 rep progression per cycle) for Squat, Bench, Bent Over Rows. This is my first cycle doing that, and it feels easy that I will pass bench.

I love the program and am not bored. I am only shopping for the next one based on the "When do I graduate" in the All-Pro FAQ. I can happily keep doing this "Novice" variant until I stall out repeatedly again. I'm not chomping on the bit to switch anything up anytime soon, I just thought I "had" to once I hit the graduate milestone or risk leaving better gains on the table sticking with it too long. But now that I typed that out it makes sense if not stalling, just keep going! Thank you.
    Last edited by jasonp360; 03-15-2024 at 09:44 AM.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jasonp360 View Post
    Thank you that is great news for me.

Only Bench or OHP stalled a couple times. And, my OHP is low % of bench when comparing to the FAQ on where it should be. After the last bench stall it was recommended to me in the All Pro thread I switch from Beginner (2 sets 8-12 progression per cycle) to Novice (3 sets 5-8 rep progression per cycle) for Squat, Bench, Bent Over Rows. This is my first cycle doing that, and it feels easy that I will pass bench.

I love the program and am not bored. I am only shopping for the next one based on the "When do I graduate" in the All-Pro FAQ. I can happily keep doing this "Novice" variant until I stall out repeatedly again. I'm not chomping on the bit to switch anything up anytime soon, I just thought I "had" to once I hit the graduate milestone or risk leaving better gains on the table sticking with it too long. But now that I typed that out it makes sense if not stalling, just keep going! Thank you.
    Good call. If you like a program and you're making progress, there's no reason to switch. Beginner and novice programs are designed to help you makes as many gains as possible as quickly as possible. Intermediate programs are designed to help you keep making gains but at a slower pace because you can no longer reasonably expect to add weight or reps at regular intervals. Different frequency, intensity, and/or progression protocols are needed to keep making gains on some or even all of your lifts.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #79 ▪█─────█▪

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    Get some exercise bands from Wal Mart. I hang mine from a ceiling joist in my garage along with a heavy punching bag and a gambrel to process deer.
    Way ahead of you

Attached Images