akkog is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Next step to reaching goal? Help Needed :)

Hey everyone, hope all is well.

I feel like I've achieved quite a bit but still far from my goal. Recently hit bit of a plateau and getting stagnant. Need some help, please!

First off - I'm 36 years old, 5'11, 161 pounds, and have about 16% body fat. My goal is to get down to about 10% body fat but want to build muscle at the same time, guess what I want to do is body recomposition. Ideally, I'd like to sit at 10% body fat but bulk up and be around 175 pounds.

Now my question is, should I be in a calorie deficit or calorie surplus when trying to achieve my goal? Cause I feel like I need to be cutting still although then I feel like I'm loosing muscle mass.

Also here is my current workout schedule, any insight or adjustments you think need to be made -- please let me know.

Additionally, I'm following a pretty good diet which is averaging at about 2,000 calories per day.

MONDAY

50 minutes, full body dumbbell, superset format
    + 10 minute HIIT finisher (intense)

TUESDAY

Swimming (1 hour) or Running (30 minutes)

WEDNESDAY

45 minutes, upper body dumbbells only or lower body dumbells (I alternate between weeks)

THURSDAY

Swimming (1 hour) or Running (30 minutes)

FRIDAY

50 minutes, full body dumbbell, superset format

SATURDAY

Running (45 minutes)

SUNDAY

Rest

And here is what the workout sort of resembles on full body to help give more insight:

I'm using 20 lb and it follows:

High Squad
    Sumo Deadlift

Split Squat R
    Split Squat L

Lateral Lunge R
    Lateral Lunge L

Staggered Squat + Rear Lunge R
    Staggered Squat + Rear Lunge L

Shoulder Press
    Bent Over Rear Delt Fly

Upright Row
    Front Raises

Around The World
    Rear Delt Shrugs

Arnold Press
    90 Degree Raises

Gorilla Rows
    Alt Twist Curls

Bent Over Row R
    Crossbody Curls

Bent Over Row L
    Hammer Curls

Renegade Rows
    Circle Curls

Twist Press
    Skull Crushers

Chest Press R
    Tate Press R

Chest Press L
    Tate Press L

Flyes
    Overhead Extension

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by akkog View Post
    And here is what the workout sort of resembles on full body to help give more insight:

I'm using 20 lb and it follows:
    That will get you nowhere.

Get some equipment and get on an actual novice program.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

What kind of equipment would you suggest? There is no gym close to my place so I can definitely get some other equipment for my place.

And any recommendations on either staying in a deficit or surplus given where I am at the moment?

Thanks in advance

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    That will get you nowhere.

Get some equipment and get on an actual novice program.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I walk around the 'hood with a 40 and run or fight with pitbulls. Only had 150 stitches last year.
    Current rankings

ElKoeh: Sparrow
    TolerntLacoe: Oposum
    Faithbra: Opossum
    SuicideGripMe: Falcon
    MTpocket: Owl
    Air2Fake: Weasel
    Stefo9: Feret
    Camarja: Raccoon
    TearOfIc: Fox
    Paulinanas: Coyot
    Sails: Wlf

jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jasonp360 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by akkog View Post
    What kind of equipment would you suggest? There is no gym close to my place so I can definitely get some other equipment for my place.

And any recommendations on either staying in a deficit or surplus given where I am at the moment?

Thanks in advance
    I got a Barbell, Bench, Squat Rack and weights, stuck with the All-Pro Beginners routine. See the All Pro sticky in this section, start at Page 1.

For equipment:

45lb Olympic bar

Weights get cheap cast iron 2x45, 2x25 4x10 2x5 4x2.5 Don't get any hex shaped weight plates just round. Hex are annoying dead-lifting. This will get you 245lbs to work with including the bar. Weight plates are often found in sets including an Olympic bar.

Get a Bench, and a cheap Rack but not too cheap. I say cheap because if you don't' stick with it no big deal

I personally did not listen and bought a 1/2 rack squat stand thing instead of a full rack. As soon as I started getting to the end of the All Pro Beginner Routine I had to upgrade to a Rack. So just get a rack to start out.
    “For new tricks you have to disconnect your brain, to forget that you can fall, and that is the hardest work. Just do it! Don’t care what people think. If you want, you can!” - Sarah Lezito

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by jasonp360 View Post

45lb Olympic bar.
    That Olympic bar is too heavy to carry around the hood. I carry a broom handle to deal with the pitbulls. Seriously.
    Current rankings

ElKoeh: Sparrow
    TolerntLacoe: Oposum
    Faithbra: Opossum
    SuicideGripMe: Falcon
    MTpocket: Owl
    Air2Fake: Weasel
    Stefo9: Feret
    Camarja: Raccoon
    TearOfIc: Fox
    Paulinanas: Coyot
    Sails: Wlf

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Just ordered a barbell and bench. Still searching on the rack squat but thanks again for the info.

Originally Posted by jasonp360 View Post
    I got a Barbell, Bench, Squat Rack and weights, stuck with the All-Pro Beginners routine. See the All Pro sticky in this section, start at Page 1.

For equipment:

45lb Olympic bar

Weights get cheap cast iron 2x45, 2x25 4x10 2x5 4x2.5 Don't get any hex shaped weight plates just round. Hex are annoying dead-lifting. This will get you 245lbs to work with including the bar. Weight plates are often found in sets including an Olympic bar.

Get a Bench, and a cheap Rack but not too cheap. I say cheap because if you don't' stick with it no big deal

I personally did not listen and bought a 1/2 rack squat stand thing instead of a full rack. As soon as I started getting to the end of the All Pro Beginner Routine I had to upgrade to a Rack. So just get a rack to start out.