Jakerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jakerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jakerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jakerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jakerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jakerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jakerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jakerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jakerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jakerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jakerun is on a distinguished road. (+10)

My Rotator Cuff Surgery Journey

Hi Folks, I am going to have rotator cuff surgery in a few weeks and I figured I would post my journey because a lot of people may benefit from my experience.

I am actually new to this site and here is my background. I am age 62, a lifetime natty who used HIT programs (1-2 sets medium - heavy weights) for decades until my late 50s when I started losing serious ground in strength and muscle and the joints started to hurt.

The past few years I have switched to a volume program. It consists of getting maximum pump via high volume (25 sets per body part), High reps (12-15 upper body, 15-20 lower body) and very short rest between sets (30 seconds, I do 25 sets in 25 minutes). No sets to failure, but the workout as a whole is close to failure if you know what I mean. Needless to say that translates into very light weights. Using this program, the joint pain went away, it became more enjoyable than HIT, I was able to progress more in increasing the (light) weights and we all know progressive resistance is the key to any program, than the wall I had hit with HIT, and I got leaner and added more muscle which is a near miracle for someone my age (62) who is lifetime natural, will never take TRT/HRT, and no supplements other than multi. By early February I was 5'11" 180, 46" chest, 32" waist, 16.5" arm, 15.5" calf, 24" thigh. See my gallery photo. My routine 7 days a week: 25 min Volume Pump workout hitting each muscle group once every 5 days, 20 min run(HR 130-140), 30 min stationary bike (HR 120-130). Felt great!

Then disaster struck. I tore my rotator cuff in a freak accident, slipping while setting down a dumbbell. Pain is debilitating, can't do any normal day to day activities, forget about weights. Weeks of rest has not helped. Ice barely touched it. NASIDs barely touched it. Tried basic rotator cuff rehab, not possible too much pain. Every day it feel slightly worse.

My current status is that dark no man's land where I have to trudge through weeks of 1) waiting for Dr. appointment, 2) weeks to get MRI, 3) possible forced cortisone shot, 4)weeks of PT to prove I need surgery, then 5) insurance approval for surgery, 6) then weeks until surgery, 7) then weeks in sling, then 8) months of rehab and if I am lucky, maybe after 9 months and all gains lost, I can try to start weight training again with muscle memory kicking in.

Anyway I will keep you updated by posting the ugly journey into the abyss and hopefully back out again. Maybe some of you can share your experience with this ugly journey?

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The biggest issue is your own mental state. The human body is actually an amazing system. The best thing you did prior to injury, was build strength and muscle! Muscle memory is a real thing. Once you are healed up, you can slowly build back up. Yes, mentally it sucks for some, but it's not a death sentence. You CAN get rebuild your strength and muscle.

Additionally, if you make it a boo-hoo fest... it will be (not trying to sound like a dick but it's the truth). No matter what, you can still do stuff. As you heal up, focus on leg machines or cycling. Think of it as a lower body specialization time. The key really is to trick yourself into an optimistic mindset.

Also, the need to repair your shoulder might be a benefit actually... you are doing when you are younger rather than older. Additionally, you don't know how bad the damage was prior to the accident.

I wish you the best of luck! Listen to your doctors and DON'T jump to conclusions regarding your diagnosis or future.

This is a small but good community.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

Jakerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jakerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jakerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jakerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jakerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jakerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jakerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jakerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jakerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jakerun is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jakerun is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SuicideGripMe View Post
    The biggest issue is your own mental state. The human body is actually an amazing system. The best thing you did prior to injury, was build strength and muscle! Muscle memory is a real thing. Once you are healed up, you can slowly build back up. Yes, mentally it sucks for some, but it's not a death sentence. You CAN get rebuild your strength and muscle.

Additionally, if you make it a boo-hoo fest... it will be (not trying to sound like a dick but it's the truth). No matter what, you can still do stuff. As you heal up, focus on leg machines or cycling. Think of it as a lower body specialization time. The key really is to trick yourself into an optimistic mindset.

Also, the need to repair your shoulder might be a benefit actually... you are doing when you are younger rather than older. Additionally, you don't know how bad the damage was prior to the accident.

I wish you the best of luck! Listen to your doctors and DON'T jump to conclusions regarding your diagnosis or future.

This is a small but good community.
    Thank you sir for the sound advice. I needed that and incorporate all of it!

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Best of luck, I'm 3 months out from RC/Bicep tendon surgery, coming back slowly.
    Don't put that on me Ricky Bobby, don't you ever put that on me.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sorry to hear about your injury. I'm pretty sure I've torn/damaged my rotator cuff a good number of times over the years, but I've always managed to trudge through it until it eventually heals and the pain dissipates over time. One tip: don't do any more OHP movements or dips if you're having shoulder issues - great exercises, but you don't need them anymore once you've developed a good muscular base.

Everyone's diagnosis is different, but if you're someone very in tune with your body, your level of pain & how you heal - I'd also give a lot of weight to your gut feel on whether you need surgery once you get your diagnosis.

Your gains will come back quickly even with months off as long as you take it gradually to avoid reinjury - it doesn't take the years it took to get them in the first place.

Bando good luck and keep us updated. Did you know you had a biceps tendon problem or was it found when they were in there? What did they do to the biceps tendon?

Air, yours and my situation are unfortunately for me, very different. I couldn't do a dip if my life depended on it, pain would be searing. I am completely incapacitated. Can't even comb my hair.

My Dr. Appointment is this Monday 3/11. Will provide an update afterwards.

patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Jakerun View Post
    Hi Folks, I am going to have rotator cuff surgery in a few weeks and I figured I would post my journey because a lot of people may benefit from my experience.

I am actually new to this site and here is my background. I am age 62, a lifetime natty who used HIT programs (1-2 sets medium - heavy weights) for decades until my late 50s when I started losing serious ground in strength and muscle and the joints started to hurt.

The past few years I have switched to a volume program. It consists of getting maximum pump via high volume (25 sets per body part), High reps (12-15 upper body, 15-20 lower body) and very short rest between sets (30 seconds, I do 25 sets in 25 minutes). No sets to failure, but the workout as a whole is close to failure if you know what I mean. Needless to say that translates into very light weights. Using this program, the joint pain went away, it became more enjoyable than HIT, I was able to progress more in increasing the (light) weights and we all know progressive resistance is the key to any program, than the wall I had hit with HIT, and I got leaner and added more muscle which is a near miracle for someone my age (62) who is lifetime natural, will never take TRT/HRT, and no supplements other than multi. By early February I was 5'11" 180, 46" chest, 32" waist, 16.5" arm, 15.5" calf, 24" thigh. See my gallery photo. My routine 7 days a week: 25 min Volume Pump workout hitting each muscle group once every 5 days, 20 min run(HR 130-140), 30 min stationary bike (HR 120-130). Felt great!

Then disaster struck. I tore my rotator cuff in a freak accident, slipping while setting down a dumbbell. Pain is debilitating, can't do any normal day to day activities, forget about weights. Weeks of rest has not helped. Ice barely touched it. NASIDs barely touched it. Tried basic rotator cuff rehab, not possible too much pain. Every day it feel slightly worse.

My current status is that dark no man's land where I have to trudge through weeks of 1) waiting for Dr. appointment, 2) weeks to get MRI, 3) possible forced cortisone shot, 4)weeks of PT to prove I need surgery, then 5) insurance approval for surgery, 6) then weeks until surgery, 7) then weeks in sling, then 8) months of rehab and if I am lucky, maybe after 9 months and all gains lost, I can try to start weight training again with muscle memory kicking in.

Anyway I will keep you updated by posting the ugly journey into the abyss and hopefully back out again. Maybe some of you can share your experience with this ugly journey?
    Best of luck. The mental part of any injury recovery is definitely worse than pain.

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Bando good luck and keep us updated. Did you know you had a biceps tendon problem or was it found when they were in there? What did they do to the biceps tendon?
    Surgeon said 80% of the time when there's RC damage the bicep tendon is also damaged, he wouldn't know until he got in there. He patched it.

Today was my first back day since the surgery, felt good pulling again but damn am I weak.

Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Gandog has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    Surgeon said 80% of the time when there's RC damage the bicep tendon is also damaged, he wouldn't know until he got in there. He patched it.

Today was my first back day since the surgery, felt good pulling again but damn am I weak.
    Good stuff! Make sure to rehab the muscle and joint so it doesn't happen again so soon after being fixed. After a month or two concentrate on gaining strength. Think ahead with the process, not trying to get back to what you where overnight.

Originally Posted by Gandog View Post
    Good stuff! Make sure to rehab the muscle and joint so it doesn't happen again so soon after being fixed. After a month or two concentrate on gaining strength. Think ahead with the process, not trying to get back to what you where overnight.
    Surgeon said I would be 100% by May, I'm only going up 5 lbs on my lifts every week.

I saw the doctor. He is considered by far the best knee/shoulder doctor in my area and is known for being straight forward, no BS, down to earth and to the point.

He did some tests. He said I have a medium to large tear in the supraspinatus rotator cuff tendon. It makes sense because I am completely incapacitated.

Of the 4 rotator cuff tendons, this is the side one that elevates the shoulder joint/arm out to the side. It is by far the most common one to be injured. He said the other 3 rotator cuff tendons and the 2 biceps tendons that attach in the shoulder all appear to be fine.

He said this needs to be confirmed by MRI.

He said because I was so obviously strong and active, that trying the cortisone shot/4 month PT route that is often successful for sedentary, weak, old people, would not work for me because I already have full Range of Motion and strong supporting muscles, and strong rotator cuff muscles. By the way the past 20 years I actually have been doing rotator cuff muscle strengthening exercises after every chest workout. It sucks that I still got injured. He said is just bad luck and don't waste another second thinking about the reasons why it happened to me.

He said he would submit the MRI request to insurance saying I have already tried extensive PT, to try to get approval.

Next step is probably wait the week for MRI approval, then another 2 weeks before I can get MRI, then another week or 2 to get follow-up appointment with the doctor to go over the MRI results, and then go from there.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Air, yours and my situation are unfortunately for me, very different. I couldn't do a dip if my life depended on it, pain would be searing. I am completely incapacitated. Can't even comb my hair.
    Sorry to hear that. Yeah, worst I’ve had it is extreme pain/discomfort when doing something like pulling down a ski lift safety bar from overhead. But still could be done. Good luck with the MRI.

Still waiting for the MRI approval and it has been a week. Every week I am in more pain than the previous week, even though I am barely even using that arm. It feels like the tear is getting bigger.

Even if/when approved then who knows how long I have to wait until I can actually get the MRI. This is all part of the 9 month process and why I am doing this thread, so that other people will know what they are getting into. It is not like the NFL where they get injured on Sunday, have an MRI on Monday, and are in surgery on Tuesday. Of course, I shouldn't complain, I could be in Canada or Europe where medical care is "free" but you have to wait 2 years.

Even though I am 62 and when you click my profile it says I am 62, but when I post, it says I am 54. Does anyone know how to fix this? I can't change my profile because it already says 62. Do I have to contact an administrator and if so, how do I do that?

MRI request has been rejected by the insurance company. They require a (useless) X-Ray first. So, another 2 weeks lost, another office visit, another office visit co-pay, a (useless "nothing is broken but we can't see soft tissue on an x-ray, we need an MRI" ) X-Ray and co-pay, resubmittal to insurance company, another 2 weeks lost. The weeks and weeks just pile up. This is all part of 9 months lost when you tear a rotor cuff. It is now starting to look more like a full year of my life will be wiped out by the whole ordeal.

joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Jake, Thank you for sharing and I do wish you all the best!

I went through similar three some years ago. Same protocols, same delays. (Maybe even worse as it was during COVID and, after seeing the GP, it was months before anyone would even call me back much less schedule the first appointment.)

So after months of being a couch potato I went from being a lazy old man to being a disabled old man. Physical therapy was a blessing but we weren't seeing the results we were hoping for so we progressed to x-rays, cortisone shots and more physical therapy. Progress, I could finally brush my teeth with one hand, but not the kind of progress we were hoping for.

So, finally, an MRI! The surgeon studied it and deemed it inoperable.

So I bought a bottle of bourbon. After it was gone I tried something a little more productive, I joined a gym.

Long story short I've got my life back and I'm having fun. Yeah, my bad arm/shoulder limits me but I'm now managing some stupid heavy lifts for a little old man.

You come across as smarter than me so I'm sure your success story will be even better than mine. Best of Luck!
    joe Henry

MRI request has been rejected by the insurance company. They require a (useless) X-Ray first. So, another 2 weeks lost, another office visit, another office visit co-pay, a (useless "nothing is broken but we can't see soft tissue on an x-ray, we need an MRI" ) X-Ray and co-pay, resubmittal to insurance company, another 2 weeks lost. The weeks and weeks just pile up. This is all part of 9 months lost when you tear a rotor cuff. It is now starting to look more like a full year of my life will be wiped out by the whole ordeal.
    Hang in there Brother, this is a temporary setback.

Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Legz422 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Bando View Post

I had rotator cuff surgery for a full tear almost 8 years ago and had small tears in bicep debrided. I felt like that was more painful for recovery than the actual shoulder.

That sucks! My ortho did an xray my first visit. Then I had to go through 7-8 weeks of PT which did nothing since it won't heal a tear. Then they did an ultrasound with injection and that helped tremendously until I ended up tearing it worse. From that point I had to put off surgery because I had to sell my house and move, so I dealt with a full tear for over 3 months before surgery. It was awful. Total time with tear was over a year. I hope that you can get the surgery soon. It's a terribly painful recovery but once you're recovered you should be good to go. Just make sure you listen to your ortho and do what they tell you. I know so many people who re-tear their RC. I still baby mine somewhat because I'm terrified of ever having to go through that surgery again.
    ~ In a world where you can be anything, be kind ~

Narrator02 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Narrator02 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Narrator02 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Narrator02 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Narrator02 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Narrator02 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Narrator02 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Narrator02 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Narrator02 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Narrator02 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Narrator02 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    One I'll say to people who've had or going to have rotator cuff surgery. Once you've healed and completed physical therapy, keep doing the PT anyway. Do it for both shoulders and make it part of your warm-ups at least twice a week.

Caucasian, Bro/Brah/Bruh AlBHappy's Avatar
    AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlBHappy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I had total shoulder replacement in November. Now at 95%. The rotator cuff heals fast. I started lifting very light weights at the 3 month mark. Feel great. DO THE REHAB