Thread: hip pain

Mrbobcat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

hip pain

Hey guys. I haven't been on here for awhile and came back to see if anyone has any ideas about an issue I'm having. I've been lifting for most of 40 years now except for a few brief periods off d/t joint issues like rotator cuff or knees. Anyway, for the past couple years my right hip has been acting up on and off. I first noticed it after squatting and then later while actually squatting, but only when I started to go heavier in my routine, usually around 250lbs or so for 8 or 9 reps. I then thought maybe it was from deadlifting since I normally do squats on leg day and conventional deadlifts on back day two or three days later. I also noticed some low back discomfort at times more towards the right side and more recently the back of my right knee has some pain and almost feels like a little bump back there. I have almost always done deep squats and some form of deadlift, but knew I had to do something. So I experimented with doing hack squats and trap bar deadlifts for awhile and then switched back to regular squats and deads after a few months. It did seem to help as the pain wasn't as bad, but didn't go away entirely. I recently had a hernia operation and didn't lift for about 6 weeks. When I started back up I did hack squats and tried doing sumo deadlifts, but the pain has gotten worse. I can barely make it thru my 12 hour shift at work now as standing and walking seem to irritated the hip.

Any ideas what it could be or what I can do to get better? I know I probably waited too long to seek medical help and yeah I should know better being a nurse, but you know how it is. The pain seems to be right on the outside of the hip and like I said sometimes the low back and behind the right knee. I've seen an urgent care doctor several months ago who suggested a cortisone shot as he thought it was bursitis and more recently my NP. She also thinks its bursitis and gave me a script for a prednisone pack and referral to ortho if it doesn't help. I also started seeing a chiropractor a couple weeks ago for the first time in decades and he thought it was a pinched nerve in my low back that is making it feel like its coming from the hip. IDK, this could be the case, but I'm thinking its more than likely bursitis since walking or sitting for long periods seems to makes it worse. The last chiro adjustment really hurt when he tried to push on my knees to loosen the hip so I cancelled my latest appointment. I may go back later, but think I'll see if he can just do the back as I don't want him to aggravate the hip if it is bursitis. I also thought maybe it could be sciatica, but don't think so. Oh forgot to mention he said to stop deadlifting and doing back squats for awhile. I did skip my last deadlift session and did the low back machine instead, but am still doing hack squats as they don't seem to bother it, but then again maybe its delayed pain and why its now getting better. I probably should stop all forms of leg pushing movements (I do a couple sets of leg press too), but its hard to stop in the middle of my 3 month routine especially since I seem to be making progress for the first time in years and was finally gaining some weight. I have gotten the closet I've ever got to my goal of 200 pounds drug free. BTW, I'm already taking Glucosamine/Chron, flax seed oil and some cartilage powder. I was also taking Ibuprofen around the clock for month, but the chiro guy said to try to quit those or at least cut back as they can cause all sorts of side effects. I tried cherry extract and tumeric too, but they didn't seem to help.