jfdi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Doing isolations straight after compound

So my arms have always lagged, and I’ve been poor at focusing effectively/properly on them.

I do a 4 day upper/lower split and have added in an arm isolation day.

Last couple of weeks, when doing a compound exercise (eg. Bench press), at the end of the set I’ll go straight into a set of eg. Pulldowns to failure before my usual rest.

Idea is that brings my triceps to failure with a safe exercise, as it seems I still have capacity to do that even if I can’t get one more rep of bench press.

Safer than attempting a drop set on bench press and focuses on the triceps.

Thoughts on this? Is it nonsense? Anyone done similar?

Seems like it will be a useful technique in my mind at least 😂
    Last edited by jfdi; 02-21-2024 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Typo

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jfdi View Post
    So my arms have always lagged, and I’ve been poor at focusing effectively/properly on them.

I do a 4 day upper/lower split and have added in an arm isolation day.

Last couple of weeks, when doing a compound exercise (eg. Bench press), at the end of the set I’ll go straight into a set of eg. Pulldowns to failure before my usual rest.

Idea is that brings my triceps to failure with a safe exercise, as it seems I still have capacity to do that even if I can’t get one more rep of bench press.

Safer than attempting a drop set on bench press and focuses on the triceps.

Thoughts on this? Is it nonsense? Anyone done similar?

Seems like it will be a useful technique in my mind at least ������
    Try this:

Upper

Rest

Lower plus arms

Rest

Repeat
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Camarija has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1. I've tried it.
    2. It depends on how strong you are relative to your height and weight.
    3. It depends on the volume of work you're doing throughout the week.
    4. Less is more, don't overcomplicate it. Get stronger in the basics. Change your main compounds to be arm heavier exercises.

For example:

Do not have Upper Day 1, and Upper Day 2, just have Upper Day, and make those Upper Day exercises your bread and butter basics that you will get strong in.

Upper Day Compounds
    Push 1: Dips -> Tricep Heavy
    Push 2: Incline Dumbbell Press or Incline Machine Press
    Pull 1: Chin Ups -> Bicep Heavy
    Pull 2: Chest Supported Wide Grip Pronated Row

Throw in some light side delt work + face pulls to warm up

Throw in some light bicep / triceps at the end of Upper Day, and like Coach says, throw in some light arm work at the end of Lower Day
    â–º Intermediate Bodybuilding Classic Physique â–º Renaissance Periodization Programming
    â–º https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180349883
    â–º Progress Pictures
    â–º https://i.ibb.co/r6RKF4p/Progress-Pictures.png

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ^ above but also I see many guys think they are lacking arm size but really just lack "size" or they lack good exercise selection, intensity, and form. Usually, I find most people who have small arms focus too much on poor exercise selection with no progression and not enough calories/protein to produce real size gains.

I'd check my calories, my protein, my form, etc. Then I'd really look at exercises that beef up my arms in a big way. Tricep pushdowns are a fine exercise but honestly... I wouldn't say they build up as much mass as heavy close-grip benching or weighted dips. Spider curls are good too but the average gym bro would be better off with chins and hammer curls. My biceps got the biggest when I started every upper day with 50 hammer grip chin ups and 100 dips.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Didn't get terribly far when cable pushdowns were part of my tricep section in my routine. A modest tweak dividing up that volume between close grip benchpresses and barbell frenchpresses? Things doth be changin, i'd say within 4 months or so. They each emphasize one of the tricep's heads, so putting them together makes considerable sense.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261