legolasgleaf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question What exercises to do to develop the correct muscles for the Fireman's Carry?

*Before anyone thinks otherwise, no I'm not a fireman! Just an ordinary man*

I want to be able to lift my woman in a fireman's carry but I fear I have not the strength yet (She is a bit on the heavy side but still good looking so shut up! :-D ;-) ) . What muscles do I need to develop and what exercises do I need to do to develop these muscles properly?

Serious replies please!

alexzo114 is not very well liked. (-100) alexzo114 is not very well liked. (-100) alexzo114 is not very well liked. (-100) alexzo114 is not very well liked. (-100) alexzo114 is not very well liked. (-100) alexzo114 is not very well liked. (-100) alexzo114 is not very well liked. (-100) alexzo114 is not very well liked. (-100) alexzo114 is not very well liked. (-100) alexzo114 is not very well liked. (-100) alexzo114 is not very well liked. (-100)
    You should focus on strengthening your core, back, shoulders, and legs at the same time. Do more exercises like squats, deadlifts, lunges, and farmer's carries can help build overall strength. And one thing, if you want to build specific muscles used in the fireman's carry, try exercises such as shoulder presses, rows, and kettlebell swings.

Originally Posted by alexzo114 View Post
    You should focus on strengthening your core, back, shoulders, and legs at the same time. Do more exercises like squats, deadlifts, lunges, and farmer's carries can help build overall strength. And one thing, if you want to build specific muscles used in the fireman's carry, try exercises such as shoulder presses, rows, and kettlebell swings.
    Thanks for the info! Helps a lot to narrow down my routine to specific exercises.

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My son's football team in high school did those as part of their GPP exercises in the summer. The exercises they used to prepare were the normal ones you would have in any football lifting program; aka WS4SB program. So squats, deadlifts, rows, OHP, suitcase carries, hang cleans, power cleans, BP, grip work, etc. My son was 275 (D-Line) and his partner for these was 330 (O-line, played D1). Fun watching them do fireman carries and run for 50 yards with their partner on their back.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I used to lift up my German Shepherd kutta when I was 12-14 years old. It's the same movement. You can substitute a mutton.

Hey, do you know why farmers wear those tall rubber boots? It's so sheep can't get their legs out.
    Current rankings

ElKoeh: Sparro
    TolerntLacoe: Oposum
    Faithbra: Opossu
    SuicideGripMe: Falco
    MTpocket: Owl
    Air2Fake: Wease
    Stefo9: Fert
    Camarja: Raccon
    TearOfIc: Fox
    Paulinanas: Coyot
    Sails: Wlf

SunSoaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) SunSoaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) SunSoaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) SunSoaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) SunSoaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) SunSoaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) SunSoaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) SunSoaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) SunSoaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) SunSoaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) SunSoaker is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by legolasgleaf View Post

I want to be able to lift my woman in a fireman's carry but I fear I have not the strength yet (She is a bit on the heavy side but still good looking so shut up! :-D ;-) ) . What muscles do I need to develop and what exercises do I need to do to develop these muscles properly?

Serious replies please!
    I would recommend weightlifting and doing the full squat. The full squat is one of the best weightlifting exercises for not just the legs but just about the entire body.

Deadlifts are also good as is the clean and jerk.

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You could get a sack of fruit or vegetables such as potatoes, carry that over your shoulders to practice. That way, you can take items out to dropset, or if you need less weight to start with in order to progress up over time.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261

Originally Posted by sowilson View Post
    My son's football team in high school did those as part of their GPP exercises in the summer. The exercises they used to prepare were the normal ones you would have in any football lifting program; aka WS4SB program. So squats, deadlifts, rows, OHP, suitcase carries, hang cleans, power cleans, BP, grip work, etc. My son was 275 (D-Line) and his partner for these was 330 (O-line, played D1). Fun watching them do fireman carries and run for 50 yards with their partner on their back.
    Thanks for the reply! That does help. I suppose GPP mean General Physical ... something? OHP = Overhead Press? BP is of course the Bench Press. I know suitcase carries are the farmer's carry designed to strengthen your forearms.

What are hang cleans and power cleans though?

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    I used to lift up my German Shepherd kutta when I was 12-14 years old. It's the same movement. You can substitute a mutton.

Hey, do you know why farmers wear those tall rubber boots? It's so sheep can't get their legs out.
    Haha! Was your dog's name "Kutta" or something? And yeah those Alsatians can get quite big!

I just understood the farmers joke and...OHHH MY GAAAAWD!! (bleah)

Serious replies please!
    P.S. - Will carrying a barbell across my shoulders and walking the length of the gym help build the correct muscles for the activity? How heavy should I lift?

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    P.S. - Will carrying a barbell across my shoulders and walking the length of the gym help build the correct muscles for the activity? How heavy should I lift?
    safer to do farmer walk's, suitcase caries, or yolk walks

Originally Posted by sowilson View Post
    safer to do farmer walk's, suitcase caries, or yolk walks
    I know farmer's walks and suitcase carries but this is the first time I'm hearing about Yolk Walks without being "egged" on! Yolk Yolk!

Jokes aside, how exactly do you do a Yoke Walk? Isn't that carrying a barbell across your shoulders like a Yoke? (Who do you think I am? Rocky? :-P )

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Serious replies please!
    Dude in all seriousness, you can already do a fireman's carry.

If your home is on fire, and your wife is injured or unconscious, and you can't carry her out of there over your shoulders to save her life - then you're either not a man, or you don't love her.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Dude in all seriousness, you can already do a fireman's carry.

If your home is on fire, and your wife is injured or unconscious, and you can't carry her out of there over your shoulders to save her life - then you're either not a man, or you don't love her.
    Lol! Thanks!

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    then you're either not a man, or you don't love her.
    Can't I be both?
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The technique is just as important as strength. It's core, back and legs so get your back squat up and you won't have any issues. Learn the rolling pick up to really show off to her.