Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Dumbbell Hooks/Spotters...Recommendations?

Last time I did incline DB press I effed up my shoulder trying to get the 110s into position.

I've seen a few different options online for starting with the DBs already in position.

What are you guys using?
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Power hooks,but I remove the Velcro as I hurt my hand once because it makes the diameter of the bar too thick for my hands .
    Theres a small bar thats left on the bottom of the power hook that sits in my hand , and I don’t even notice it

https://www.fitnessdepot.ca/B11BCB09...dbpphooks.html

FYI they scratch the fk out of your bars . I put hockey tape on them to mitigate the problem,but ended up getting a dedicated piece of steel bar cut at our local metal shop
    Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 01-27-2024 at 08:11 PM.
    Make Misc great again !

Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Deep-Voiced-One is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Mad Spotter Hooks seem to get good reviews and have improved on the design...

https://themadspotter.com/products/mad-spotter-hook

If you don't mind having them attached to your rack and you don't mind the price tag, Dean has DB trays with UHMW lined around all contact points (I own these on my 2x3 rack, the only issue I have is that they're cumbersome if you're someone who likes keeping things setup attached on the rack, been contemplating selling mine for that reason...but your mileage may vary)...

https://www.blackwidowtg.com/Custom_...acc-dbtray.htm
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #80 ▪█─────█▪

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #16 ▪[M]====[6]▪

▪█─█▪ Certified workout equipment addict ▪█─█▪

"We're all gonna be alright crew, we got this!"

-=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Deep-Voiced-One View Post
    Mad Spotter Hooks seem to get good reviews and have improved on the design...

https://themadspotter.com/products/mad-spotter-hook

If you don't mind having them attached to your rack and you don't mind the price tag, Dean has DB trays with UHMW lined around all contact points (I own these on my 2x3 rack, the only issue I have is that they're cumbersome if you're someone who likes keeping things setup attached on the rack, been contemplating selling mine for that reason...but your mileage may vary)...

https://www.blackwidowtg.com/Custom_...acc-dbtray.htm
    Those are exactly the two I was considering.

Perseverance, Inc.

RIP Gene Rychlak

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've got the original Power Hooks from several years ago. Once every couple of years I get them out, set them up and remember why I can't use them. I have smaller hands so the bar that runs across the handle feels awkward. Plus even though the hooks themselves weigh next to nothing they fell top heavy to me. It's totally ridiculous and has to just be in mind, whatever it is it keeps me from using them. The other thing is that I don't like starting behind my eyeliner to rack or unpack the dumbbells. I think id feel the same even with the trays. The only style I think would work are the expensive stands that rock back out of the way. But those would be cost and space prohibitive for me.
    I've got a bum shoulder from the same thing, trying to knee up just 80lb dumbbells on inclines. I've been working around it now for over two months.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

I ordered a set of the Mad Spotter Pro v. 2.0 just because I feel like they'd work better than the cradles that attach to the rack.

I feel like with those cradles once you unrack the dumbbells they're in the way, or you would need to have them way behind you.

Perseverance, Inc.

RIP Gene Rychlak

Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post
    I ordered a set of the Mad Spotter Pro v. 2.0
    Got an e-mail today saying they were delivered yesterday.

The Narrator: "They were not actually delivered yesterday; at least, not to Flex's house"

FML

And yet another company with no phone number on their web site.

Perseverance, Inc.

RIP Gene Rychlak

Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000)

The Narrator: "They were not actually delivered yesterday; at least, not to Flex's house"
    This is why I'm signed-up with on-line accounts for USPS (Informed Delivery), UPS (My Choice), FedEx, and, I believe, DHL. There've been times I've received notification from one of them that something was shipped before I did from the seller.

Sorry to see your order went awry. With a little luck it wasn't actually mis-delivered, but shown as delivered when it wasn't and it'll still arrive. I've had that happen a couple times. Or whomever to whom they were delivered will DTRT and bring them to you. I had that happen, once, with UPS, IIRC, a number of years ago.

MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I actually looked into electromagnetics years ago . You place the dumbbells under the magnets that are energized on a foot pedal . The arm holding the magnets would raise up with a linear actuator to give you proper clearance .
    My main concern was a power bump or outage . Guess I’d be the only guy to have a UPS in his gym lol
    Make Misc great again !

Originally Posted by thedickus View Post
    I've got the original Power Hooks from several years ago. Once every couple of years I get them out, set them up and remember why I can't use them. I have smaller hands so the bar that runs across the handle feels awkward. Plus even though the hooks themselves weigh next to nothing they fell top heavy to me. It's totally ridiculous and has to just be in mind, whatever it is it keeps me from using them. The other thing is that I don't like starting behind my eyeliner to rack or unpack the dumbbells. I think id feel the same even with the trays. The only style I think would work are the expensive stands that rock back out of the way. But those would be cost and space prohibitive for me.
    I've got a bum shoulder from the same thing, trying to knee up just 80lb dumbbells on inclines. I've been working around it now for over two months.
    I have small hands also. It actually felt like I tore something in my hand once because of the extra diameter from the power hooks Velcro . That’s why I cut and removed it , which leaves you with a thin bar at the bottom that sits in your hand .
    For some reason it doesn’t bother me in the least doing it that way , although I do wear those fingerless gym .
    I couldn’t live without them now tbh
    Make Misc great again !

FML

And yet another company with no phone number on their web site.
    OK, no reply from the company BUT, I noticed when I clicked on "details" on the tracking page that even though it was a DHL tracking number, it indicated that it was actually shipped by USPS, therefore final delivery by Canada Post, not by DHL.

Our new house doesn't have a mailbox out front, we have a lockbox down the street with individual mailboxes for each house in the area. We just moved so I had no idea if it was big enough to hold a small parcel, but apparently it is and that's where it was.

Looking forward to trying them out this weekend. I haven't done any dumbbell presses since I wrecked my shoulder last May.

Perseverance, Inc.

RIP Gene Rychlak

sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have the Mad Spotters and like them, it takes a minute to get used to them, but they are definitely shoulder-savers

Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I had an earlier version and gave the away. Taking the weights off was OK. Returning them to the bar felt like I had no control over them.

archieannnie is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My husband had a tough time with his shoulder doing incline DB press with the 110s. He found kicking the dumbbells up from his knees after sitting helped a lot. Plus, having a spotter hand them to him once he's ready? Total shoulder saver. He swears by it now!

Originally Posted by sera310 View Post
    I have the Mad Spotters and like them, it takes a minute to get used to them, but they are definitely shoulder-savers
    Originally Posted by Greybird2 View Post
    I had an earlier version and gave the away. Taking the weights off was OK. Returning them to the bar felt like I had no control over them.
    I'm going to test drive them tomorrow.

I doubt I will bother trying to re-rack them at the end of the set when I get to the heavy sets. I have some rubber mats I'll probably just drop them like i always did before.

Perseverance, Inc.

RIP Gene Rychlak

Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm going to test drive them tomorrow.

I doubt I will bother trying to re-rack them at the end of the set when I get to the heavy sets. I have some rubber mats I'll probably just drop them like i always did before.
    That would be way better than trying to get them on the bar. My gym at that time was on tile with rubber on top, but not near thick enough to drop dumbells.

I love these things.

I haven't done DB presses since last May. I threw up 105s for 6 reps, then loaded up 110 and b00m, tore my bicep tendon.

Yesterday I threw up 85s for a few reps

Perseverance, Inc.

RIP Gene Rychlak

Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000) Michiganian is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks for the report.

Did you try re-racking them with the hooks or did you just drop 'em at the end of the set?

Originally Posted by Michiganian View Post
    Thanks for the report.

Did you try re-racking them with the hooks or did you just drop 'em at the end of the set?
    I was able to re-rack them on every set.

Perseverance, Inc.

RIP Gene Rychlak

I was able to re-rack them on every set.
    Cool. Thanks

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I love these things.

I haven't done DB presses since last May. I threw up 105s for 6 reps, then loaded up 110 and b00m, tore my bicep tendon.

Yesterday I threw up 85s for a few reps
    Glad they're working for you. Wish I could get used to them. It's all in my head, I go into it with a bad attitude.

Did you tear your bicep at the shoulder insertion or down at the forearm? I had a distal bicep tear several years back and had to have it surgically reattached at the forearm/radius. Not a fun recovery, luckily it was my non-dominant left arm.
    I hurt my bicep on my right arm a couple of months ago at the shoulder insertion and it's yet to heal. I didn't hear/feel a pop and there was no immediate discoloration like I did when I had the distal tear. I was also setting some dumbbells into place for incline presses when it happened. Haven't tried them since, having a hard time doing much of any pressing movements with free weights.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

Originally Posted by thedickus View Post
    Did you tear your bicep at the shoulder insertion or down at the forearm?
    At the shoulder, so that's both of them now. Tore the right one in 2017 and the left one last May.

Perseverance, Inc.

RIP Gene Rychlak

At the shoulder, so that's both of them now.
    Both times heaving DBs up for presses?