Johno247 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Losing muscle while cutting

I’ve trained for a long time with generaly good results.

Over the last couple of years I’ve introduced proper bulking and cutting cycles.

I was not aware that you needed a minimum amount of calories to cut without losing muscle. Is this correct?

I estimate I’m about 400 caps below 10cals per pound of body weight but thought I was ok because I’m dropping no more than half a kilo acc vac week.

My program is good I think. Intensity is definitely good.

Can anyone tell me if overall this low cal thing is what might be holding back my progress?

Zealot from the housetops PaulJerome's Avatar
    PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not sure I followed, but absolutely need to keep protein high when in a caloric deficit.
    6'5" 210 lbs, 10.9% body fat

Bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable unto all things.

Willing to create a thread "Is Paul Jerome a Larp" if anyone with a username 5 years or older accuses me of fraud. Any takers?

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Johno247 View Post
    Can anyone tell me if overall this low cal thing is what might be holding back my progress?
    Yes, that's what cutting is.

Protein is high enough I think.

At least 2g per kilo of body weight.

I could bump it up to 2.5 - 3 though and see if that helps.

It just seems like I’m missing something big here because I seem to be either losing muscle in the cut or not gaining it enough on the bulk

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

It just seems like I’m missing something big here because I seem to be either losing muscle in the cut or not gaining it enough on the bulk
    i don't know about the bulk thing, but losing muscle is kind of expected on a cut

Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    i don't know about the bulk thing, but losing muscle is kind of expected on a cut
    This. Train as hard as you can, keep your deficit moderate, and don’t be afraid to go extra hard on the protein (up to 1.5x BW even). Even if you do everything right though, there’s gonna be some muscle and strength loss. It’s inevitable, OP.

Yea I understand there will be some muscle loss but I think there’s too much muscle loss.

I’ll up the protein to 1.5g per pound and start doing some LISS cardio to get my minimum calorie intake up a bit.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    There's always the possibility that much of what you think is muscle loss is fat loss. In other words, much of what you think is 'muscle' today, COULD be mainly fat...

Zealot from the housetops PaulJerome's Avatar
    PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    There's always the possibility that much of what you think is muscle loss is fat loss. In other words, much of what you think is 'muscle' today, COULD be mainly fat...
    True if he's just doing a mirror test, but if he lifted a certain weight for 10 reps last couple of workouts and it drops to 9, etc. then that is probably the best way to measure muscle gain/loss.

Yea I understand there will be some muscle loss but I think there’s too much muscle loss.

I’ll up the protein to 1.5g per pound and start doing some LISS cardio to get my minimum calorie intake up a bit.
    There's not just one roadmap to getting where you want to be. I think cardio is important if you have a photo coming up or are going to a pool party or whatever in the short term. For long term, I generally avoid cardio except for biking because I enjoy it. If you are pushing yourself in the gym with weights to the limit and then add intense cardio on top of that, it will crash your testosterone which wiill definitely impact your muscle gain/loss.

The other thing that is good about increasing protein is that it fills you up faster. They did a study giving the test group pork chops and challenging them to eat as much as possible and there was a limit. Give them lasagna or spaghetti, etc and you can eat waaayyyy more.
    6'5" 210 lbs, 10.9% body fat

Bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable unto all things.

Willing to create a thread "Is Paul Jerome a Larp" if anyone with a username 5 years or older accuses me of fraud. Any takers?

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Focusing solely on protein intake as the sole culprit in muscle loss on a cut and lack of muscle gain on a bulk is likely what you’re missing.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Then you're just trading calories. What makes you think you're losing muscle?
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Focusing solely on protein intake as the sole culprit in muscle loss on a cut and lack of muscle gain on a bulk is likely what you’re missing.
    I’m not focusing solely on protein intake. I’m looking at the whole picture.

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Then you're just trading calories. What makes you think you're losing muscle?
    I’ve read that you need a minimum amount of calories or your body will go into starvation mode and you’ll basically burn out, slow down your metabolism and hoard fat. I’ve only recently read this it’s new to me.

I’ve always been able to keep my calls low enough on a cut to not need cardio but perhaps I’m pushing my caps too low and my body needs a minimum amount for metabolism to function properly.

Why do I think I’m losing muscle? After 6 week cut I can’t lift as much and I physically look like I’m losing fat. So my muscles are not popping at the end of the cut.

I figured a good way to see what’s going on is to take some fat measurements with fat calipers at the end of each cut.

If my body weight is the same and fat percentage is dropping it means I’m putting on at least some lean muscle mass.

I just can’t find my fat calipers.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    This thread is like the conglomeration of super hereoes.
    Furnishe renal houses in Coffeyville Kasas. Washer/dryer, full kitchen, cable/wifi, all bills paid. Welders, fiters, boilermakers, electricians, inspectors for the refinery, soybea plant, bio diesel plant, pipeline and animal food plant conractors.

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    This thread is like the conglomeration of super hereoes.
    No idea what you mean

I’m not focusing solely on protein intake. I’m looking at the whole picture.
    You seemed to have rule out anything related to your programming or your lifts in general.

So my muscles are not popping at the end of the cut.
    Maybe you don’t have as much muscle as you thought under the fat.

I figured a good way to see what’s going on is to take some fat measurements with fat calipers at the end of each cut.

If my body weight is the same and fat percentage is dropping it means I’m putting on at least some lean muscle mass.
    You clearly don’t know what a cut is. Even worse if your lifts are going down while your weight stays the same.

I just can’t find my fat calipers.
    Can you find your mirror?

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    You seemed to have rule out anything related to your programming or your lifts in general.

Maybe you don’t have as much muscle as you thought under the fat.

You clearly don’t know what a cut is. Even worse if your lifts are going down while your weight stays the same.

Can you find your mirror?
    Wow no need to be rude mate 😂

I’m definitely changing my program. Just because I didn’t let you know doesn’t mean I’m not.

I know what a cut is. I’m just asking for advice to get the most out of it. Have you never asked a question in your life?

I suspect carb depletion is playing a role here. As I come off the cut and increase calories the muscle is starting to show.